Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
What's this blathering about shades? I haven't played for a while but are you saying they are no longer glowing free kills in BS? All I remember Sil doing for shades was getting those loving retarded perks fixed so that we didn't have to completely break mice by the dozens any more by sawing back and forth while clicking like an epileptic when trying to kill anything.

Also, leveling itself is pretty drat fast in AO last I checked, only thing slowing it down is that there aren't enough people to play with any more. When I was last in AO, it felt like old EQ1, hours and hours of LFG and nothing happening.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Detaer posted:

So the scale of the bugs is so huge that you can do nothing but sit back and laugh? You just whack your leg put on a hearty grin and say "Ohh FunCom you scamp! har har!" That is something you like in an MMO? I am really not seeing how that is something I could deal with. I played AoC for 3 weeks after release, I decided to dump the game because it was a giant pile of poo poo. Now here we are how many years after AO's release and they are still doing poo poo like this? I am amazed they have enough of a customer base or revolving door of investors to keep them afloat. AO:C (Anarchy Online : Crap edition) doesn't seem to be getting any better the more it gets patched, is this Stockholm syndrome at work?

Well people like to exaggerate, AO isn't any more bugged these days than any other MMOG that has been out for years. Launch was different though, I still get hilarious kicks out of reading the review. That thing should be in the OP.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Schlork posted:

I love Penumbra.

Your eyes are melting for xxx points of cold damage.

Always forget the fukken glasses. :v:
But yea, I loved pen too.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

Is there an easy way to move items/money between characters on the same account, or is the only way to do it with a mule account?

Yea, you need a mule account for it. A bit annoying but at least the client is pretty light so even crappier computers should be able to handle two clients while you do your stuff.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

19.99 USD + 1 FunCom = 19.99 EURO

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I really wish the endgame wasn't something you have to get in on the first wave or you're hosed.

And the first wave was done years and years ago :(

Last time I played AO, I had the "new" nano quests on my LFT message for around two months and I never got one single tell about it. I'd really wanna sub AO again but last couple posts reminded me what a boring LFT fest it can be.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

For all of you who don't have any of the new nanos, I would be happy to help out with my 220 doctor. If we have a few decent 215-220s and can rope in an enforcer or soldier or something, we could probably plow through them in a few hours or over the course of a few days. All I'd want in exchange is your undying love and possibly help with some of that stuff on my other characters when they get there.

Also if any of you are getting the booster, I'd love to get a goon team together to run through some of the content.

Well, I resubbed again. If by new nanos you mean the DB quest line then I'd be in for that on a 220 shade. Doubt I'll have time for it outside weekends though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So how is LoX regarding solo and 1-3 man team content? I haven't gotten around to taking a look at it since I opened a new account and started leveling an engineer. Is it worth buying if I'm not interested in the raid part and such?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Question for people who have done HI raid... How far could I solo the waves as a 220 shade? Any chance of getting 4th champion down alone? I was planning to get that medusa brain for my engy but I haven't done HI before so dunno how hard it is.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

HI is pretty rough. You can probably make it there, but it will be tough if you try to stay past that.

I'm only aiming at 4th wave for now, hopefully the brain has a decent drop chance from that.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

What server are you on? I'll help you out if you want :)

Atlantean, mostly on my new engy, Mubot. Might try it once or twice this weekend depending on drop rate on that scorpion crap needed to start the event.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

Send me a tell at my username on here. I'm usually on between 6am-11am central time.

Nice, I'm online EET evenings which almost same as that, more on weekends of course. Dropped a tell to your buffer.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Technogeek posted:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=548701

Posted a public "kill Lord Galahad" signup in Life on Atlantean, so those goons who said earlier that they'd try to help me out, well, here's your chance to make sure you do.

Well drat, I never got around to do this so gonna sign my shade up. Might be able to find some more from org if we lack people.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm gonna run IS on Sunday for my alts MoR. If anyone wants to tag along for some IS item then drop Mubot a tell in game. Gonna go in there around 7-8ish AM GMT, late evening for US. At that time there's probably no froobs and other poo poo training around.

No Hezak though. If memory serves, I don't think it ended well at all when I last tried to solo him. :v:

E: oh yea, and this is on Atlantean.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 6, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Death Himself posted:

If I wanted a free mmo to dick about with in my spare time, would this be a good choice? How much would I miss out on just being a free player?

Froobs got a decent game to play, but unless you're eating dirt and living under a boat in real life, I would seriously recommend at least paying the :5bux/month: for Shadowlands. It adds shitloads to the original game. Maybe poke around with a froob account for a bit first, nothing there to stop you upgrading later when you feel like shooting rocks instead of borgs.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I just read a thread over on the IGN AO board about how nobody wants to team up with anyone from levels 200 - 219. Why is that?

I suppose he covered that in his post. People are too picky to do anything but a 220 easy or hard.

I'd call the 150-200 much harder than 200+ though, the grouping is totally dead on those levels. I think the LFT related to TL5-6 levels is the main reason I usually have quit AO. It's so drat hard to find groups and when someone finally ninjainvites you it's "RK mish kk?". Call me picky then but I'd rather crush my skull with a crt monitor than run any more Broken Shores missions for exp, ever again.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I've only ever gotten a character up to like level 20 so I have no idea what you're talking about. Mind explaining why it's such a pain to get groups in the 150 - 200 and 200 - 219?

The 150-200ish range is hard mostly because there are not all that many people playing on those levels these days. When you finally see other people LFT, it's no use most of the time if the professions don't make a functional team. You need at least a good amount of healing and a decent tank to do the SL exping "normally" without pockets. Pocketing meaning someone dual logging a higher level char like 220 doc or enf to make everything effortless. I'd guess it's even harder for people who are playing their first characters as most of the people who are on their 5th or whatever character are just going to sprint to inferno at 160 (level for entering penumbra without doing access quest) at get powerlevelled. So then there's the new guy, can't get a molar for inf ring? Can't get or afford inf boots? Don't have higher level contacts to play with in inf? Tough poo poo, here's LFT tool for you.

The thing about people preferring not to team for lower level missions in inferno is that the 220 missions have much higher finishing exp rewards than the other ones, even 219 missions. Seems a large amount of people rather LFT than do anything under 220. If FunCom made the rewards scale more rationally, then that might help with the stupid attitude towards lower level missions. I guess the leeching lower level fucks also want a 220 in the team so that they don't have to actually bother playing as most, if not all, 220's can just breeze through 220 easy missions without much external healing or anything.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

reikazen posted:

someone should make a goon guild!

Great idea! Could name it GoonCorp or something like that!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So anyone here needing ice golem molar for inf ring? I'm gonna pop it as soon as I get five more levels grinded. Possibly on Sunday or Monday, depending on LFT luck. If anyone wants to come along, tell Mubot in game.

edit*
^
Never mind. I didn't notice you're froob and I don't know how weapon + resonance blast compares to other DD profs on RK.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 14, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I came by this AriensGUI thing while looking at the official forums and figured to mention it here. It seems to contain a ton of helpful poo poo especially for new players so if anyone here is considering starting AO, I'd recommend installing that.

Link the download site. Also contains screenies.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

:words:

Generally you don't need to min-max IP excessively, as you will end up more than plenty of it when you hit the TL5 skill caps. Meaning levels 165ish-189, when all your important skills are capped and you get 80k IP per level to spend on whatever. Froob race abilities (str, sta, agi, etc) also get capped around 165 so no more IP for those.

But if you're really hellbent on not "wasting" a single IP then look up your nano reqs from Auno, plan your implants ahead with Nanonanny and take into account what nano skill gear you will be using. And that's not even considering that some mobs will debuff you and if you pvp, you will get drained and hosed with that kind of skill planning. Lots of work, and for nothing really.

I always max my most important nano skills as there's no reason not to.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

For a first character in AO, I'd say 2-3 months might be realistic estimate to hit 220. But considering you aren't going to find groups, I'll say 4-5 months (plus a few month break when you get few up of lft). Unless you have a char that can effectively solo AI raids in your orgs city, there's no fast ticket to cash either so it'd take some time to get a char equipped for pvp.

Got my engy to 207 yesterday and I'm pretty annoyed about how rare even the inf teams are now. There are literally no 220's lft for inf these days and only times teams seem to form is when someone dual logs their 220 for the missions.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Maybe, I play on some random hours because of other rl schedule at the moment. However, I've been in inf since level 160 and on the way to 207, I've not gotten one group without a 220 dual log yet.

How active is GoonCorp these days by the way? I've been thinking of maybe looking for another org because most of the old crew from mine are now long gone, and I don't much like the new leadership. GC got any cooperation and chatbots with other orgs?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

BloodThirster posted:

Just started up again as a 47 Fixer and having fun, Fixer is very fun class, don't know why I never gave the class a shot before. Only problem I'm having is getting my hands on a decent weapon. Everything I've read tells me to get a Perennium Beamer, but I don't have the funds to pay 5m for one, or to farm the materials to get one crafted. You guys have any advice or do I have to just muscle through it? I have a pretty high QL gun from blitzing missions but they just don't seem to be cutting it.

What's your chars name ingame? I just made a crapload of pers and sold them off but I think I still got some muzzles left to make low 100's per beamer. I'll toss you a tell when I can log to check what I have.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

If they do redesign UI again, I hope they will aim for either a lot more minimalistic style than current or make it moddable. I've hated the current bloated one with passion ever since I first saw it. Original wasn't great either but it was better. Current UI doesn't even let us move nearly all the pieces around, that is so 1990's.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Don't get perennium blaster that early Ryen, there's a very viable free alternative in Neutrino Flash from Steps of Madness. It's very easy to get from that notum.. somethingsomething in the small sidecave near Jealousy). It's very nice at low levels and will easily last you a few levels. You'll need a hand to get it though, I'd help but my account closes today and I'm off to Vanguard but I'm sure someone here will do it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

TheUnforgiven posted:

Yeah, pet classes kick rear end and I'm really enjoying the Engie, I've been debating about starting up a Froob account and running a MP on it and duel boxing some team missions to get some money and gear for the Engie.

Anyone have any success doing this?

Engy can be easy to dual with since you can make engy a very "passive" character in combat so that you can just send in bot, attack and concentrate on the other char. You can stick to weapons without specials a long time since you won't have much IP anyway if you want to have tradeskills, that way you don't have to switch between windows much (for FA, burst, whatever) when dual logging.

MP is nice choise for doing mochies for yourself since selfcasting some of the higher nanos, especially SL bots, can get annoying if you don't have moneys to throw around for some nano items. Also, heal balloon works on engy pets if I remember correctly.

And try not to get depressed with engy once you hit the 100 level pet wall and start seeing your life and dreams go down the shitter. It gets better again at high levels, especially after you get some good guns on. If you intend to dual log all the way, I'd suggest going grenade route with weapons though. Dreadloch Obliterator and the Xan 'nade gun only have fling as special so it's dual log friendly.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 23, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

Do bots get better at holding aggro further down the road? I never did get an Engineer off newbie island because the drat bot couldn't hold aggro worth a poo poo and sometimes would go over to attack an enemy and then just stand there for a good three seconds before attacking.

Bot holds aggro on low and middle levels best since you're so drat gimp during that time. It does need some trimming though. You need two trimmers at least, Trimmer - Positive Aggressive-Defensive adjusts the agg-def bar of your bot, it goes up to QL100 which means the bot is full aggressive. Another important trimmer is Trimmer - Increase Aggressiveness, which is very effective especially at mid levels. The taunt value might seem low but the difference it makes is notable. You can make it with shop items so it's not hard to acquire. You should notice a big difference with your bots aggro holding when you use those two together. Also remember to get the dyna nanos, the area snare and the enhance subsystem line dmg boost.

Once you get to higher levels, bot's aggro holding dimnishes a bit, depending on what weapons you use I guess.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

leethasbro posted:

Christ, they patch this thing every other day now??

What? No.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

EDGECRUSHER posted:

ME!

I'm going to ding 220 this weekend. 6? years running for this moment

And here I thought I was the only one who took six and half years to finally get a char to 220. Grats on the level. After that you can go sit at trade grid and get bored.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Not as much fun? Urgh, the positional bullshit on the PM line was one of the worst class design brainfarts in FC history, and took them long enough to fix it. Even without the laggy mobs that were constantly mislocated so that you couldn't find their backs, it was retarded to run back and forth to be able to use the perks.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Resubbed my accounts for a month since it's free. Couple really nice things on the latest patch notes for sure... Too bad my org is so dead we won't be able to do anything in Pande even if it's instanced. The player city change is also nice, people will actually get cities without having to poopsock billions of credits first?

Also,

quote:

Personal research and perks should no longer vanish from characters.

Funcom :mmmhmm:

edit:
Eh, it's the 8th anniversary and they mailed me 8 buddy keys that give 30 days free game time with all expansions enabled. Dunno if anyone wants them since base game is free anyway but pm or ask away if anyone does.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 25, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

mewse posted:

I'm still a total nub but I'd like to try out Shadowlands. Email is mewse@doomers.org.

Sent.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, gently caress trying to find groups in AO. Recently some christmas or whatever resub offer came in email and I'd like to play my 216 engy again but just thinking about all the inf LFT makes me shudder. And at this point the game population is so small that you can pretty much forget doing a lot of the group content unless you're in some small group of org superfriends.

Occasionally remembering that AO is still alive makes me all :unsmith: but I wouldn't subscribe it any more.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Ah gently caress it, 30 days and 900 paid points free made me resub for a month. :ughh:
Maybe I'll get another mostly naked dancing troxsanta doll this christmas. I'm on GMT+2 too so maybe see you in inf some day Watchlar.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Anyone here happen to have a engineer suitable for CoH warp? (under lvl 110)

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 4, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Baram posted:

Downloading this now to give it a shot again. what kind of tips / reccomended builds would be good for someone who'll probably mainly solo? I've always been a fan of pet based classes if that helps at all. Looking around on AO Universe right now as well.

edit: probably gonna make an engineer.

Engineers are not that great at soloing past midlevels. Out of the pet classes, both crats and mps are better at it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I don't even consider this game playable without two accounts and dual logging/boxing. All subs should include at least two separate accounts. Or just halve the price. Whatever.

Good thing AO is so old that any modern computer will easily run a few AO's at the same time. I've had 4 clients running without problems :haw:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

How well do Anarchy Online and Windows 7 get along?

Haven't played for at least one patch but 64 bit Win 7 Pro here and it worked just as well as in XP. Which... is not saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Hakkeshu posted:

I get an email from funcom telling me my old account has been given 30 free days, so just to take a gander at the game again I goto download it, about 10 minutes after using their installer I get antisoftware malware or whatever yay! Since I havent formatted in a year I said gently caress it, backed up my music and pictures and wiped C:\, actually it should run better now.

Yeah, just got the free month offers too. Hell, might as well play a little then.

• Locked thread