Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
We finally get new FP nanos? That almost makes me want to go resubscribe! Agents were the best thing about AO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Acidian posted:

I just rolled an agent on rk1 by the name of Antekvia. Not sure how long I will be playing AO this time, but it would be cool if I could join whatever guild you goons are in. Need some help with figuring out how the game works again, especially stats wise, but it's easy to get help from the pubbie channels as well. People still seem generaly friendly in this game compared to all the newer mmo's.

:whatup:

You haven't played Anarchy Online till you've played a (decent) agent!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Acidian posted:

Thanks for all the good advice. I was thinking I needed perception so that I can spot other shades or agents who want to sneak attack me, but it occurs to me that I wont be doing any pvp until 200 levels, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. The reason I cut back on ranged ini is because I read you need like 1000 points to get a 0.1s speed increase, which doesn't seem worth it at early levels.

Nanos are pretty expensive. I bought some expertise nanos to buff some of my skills, as well as the agent hold/damage buff nanos. Of the false profession ones I have only bought the doctor, as it seemed the most important one (for self heals). Still a couple of more levels before I can use it without buffing my nano skills. I should get click saver and use that to find the other ones I need for free. Implants seem to be absuredly expensive though, and I don't think I can use clicksaver to get better ones?

FP Doc is worse than useless at low levels, except for buffing Superior First Aid and Iron Circle. If you solo a lot while doing PvM, FP Metaphysicist for the heal and attack pets is your best bet. It's overused, but that's because it works. FP Trader is a must for buffing Wrangles and Computer Literacy buffs.

Ranged init works in increments of 300 and 600, taking 1 second off recharge and attack time respectively... I'd say it's low priority till later, because with froob weapons and scopes, you'll attack slowly anyway, and with non-froob weapons, it won't be an issue much. You can wait to maximize Nano Init, too.

The agent IP crunch at low levels is ridiculous... and it won't get better for a very long time :( I'd advise skipping Perception and Break&Entry entirely in favor of Concealment.

And yeah, agents need a lot creds to get the stuff they need. Once you get to a certain point (Title Level 5), though, you can basically make money sitting around and handing out buffs; people (should) tip about 200k for most buffs, but Wrangles can go up to 1m. Try to get the money up front, though. =O)

I'm actually thinking of writing a small Agent guide, even though it's already been done. Do let us know how yours goes!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Technogeek posted:

Then I'll reimburse the cost of his Omni-Tek application. :smug:

EDIT: And the cost of a bar of soap.

Could you politely ask them for some our side xp back, too, please?

Edit: Shucks, was hoping the new patch would incorporate the proposed aimed shot changes. :( Oh well... Here's hoping to proper multi-as in pvm someday.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Failing that, it's under GUI in the Settings option when you, you know, start up the client.

Edit: I'm starting to see why some games have those retardedly patronizing tutorials in the beginning.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Hecks were the best thing to happen to AO. It kicked MMOing up a notch. BAM!

"hey guys ao sucks but i'll post ad nauseum in a thread about it because i need attention"

I'm looking forward to the balance changes coming soon, including the genome changes. Finally an excuse to resub my paid account!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Are there nanos that syphon health/nano points from the enemy and give it to the player?

I'd be into this if there's a class that can solo well without a lot of downtime or disposable item use.

Traders have nanolines that heal their health/nano by leeching. They can also heal others, at the cost of their own health. Don't think this means they're great at soloing, though.

Doctors and agents are the primary classes for soloing, but both need time and disposable use if you don't have high nano regeneration. This may change for agents with the proposed repeatable aimed shot balance.

Other classes can solo, but lack the longevity of either class. If it's a short fight, though, other classes can usually kill things a lot faster than them. Keepers, soldiers and fixers are decent soloing classes, but cannot take on some of the more painful boss mobs.

Also:

Funcom's IRC channel posted:

* Rejoined channel #anarchyonline
* Topic is '<tentacles> forums. can't live without the community and feedback. can't live with the failures of humanity they attract || http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=565003 -- Friday With Means: Nov. 20th, 2009'
* Set by Kintaii on Sat Nov 21 02:38:12

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Watchlar posted:

:psyduck: I have no idea where you got this from.

Doctors have highest solo survivability, sure, but loving hell they have the hands down lowest damage output in the entire game. Doc soloing is so slow it seriously takes me over 2 minutes to kill an orange mob on mine alone.

Agents do okay, they have a good toolset.

Damage-wise, Shades are insanely good. A lvl 100+ Shade can simply tear through an orange or red mob in a matter of seconds, evading most hits and using absorbs to make up for whatever hits land through. It never gets old and (well done) Shades are usually top DD in teams, too. I don't think any other profession can currently match the amount of damage TL7 Shades are capable of shelling out.

Keepers are also a good solo prof. Solid damage output, good survivability.

gently caress, almost any prof can make a great soloer if you put some effort into the gear and perk setup.

Learn to read. And let's see your insane shade take on Lord of the Void.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Gearhead posted:

When people talk about solo ability, they normally talk about the class's ability to solo level, not solo raid bosses.

Oh. You mean like, how some classes might have less survivability, but might be able to kill a lot faster?

Why didn't I think of that?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
I love Anarchy Online, but I'd be the first to say it's not an easy game to play. These days, the difficulty isn't even rooted in gameplay; it's simply that there aren't enough people around to fully populate the world. This makes LFTing a bit of a trial.

Trying to level my agent in Inferno taught me a couple things: 1) Agents are not very sought-after in endgame pvm, and 2) You have to be proactive to be picked up. If there wasn't any team, I tried my best to make one. These usually ended in spectacular crash and burns, but that was part of the fun. When they worked out, it added to the satisfaction. People tend to seek you out for teams once you get the rhythm, too.

Timing plays a large part; I play in a different time zone than the vast majority of RK1, so I tended to find pubbies in similar situations, who eventually became part of my routine levelling group. Once you find a circle, grinding becomes simpler. I imagine it'd be easier if you're not stuck in the rear end-end of the world.

It does, however, require a large investment of effort. I can understand why some people drop the game. Watchlar's right, btw: if you want to solo your way to 220 in this MMO, watching paint dry might be a better use of your time.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
I'm leveling a froob agent to be a buffbunny for my paid account. Unfreezing when balance perks hit, though I won't get LoX till my paid agent maxes out SL/AI/LE content.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
New patch is live! I'm curious to see how the new Daily Missions turn out. Also GTH has been nerfed as the first of the Balance Update.

P.S. RIP Roflbot

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

blackmanjew posted:

Jesus, reading the posts made by AO devs on their forums makes me wonder if it isn't just a team of 13 year olds over there. Who the gently caress says "OH HAI".

Or, you know, people in touch with their community's lingo and who don't feel the need to overcompensate on online forums. :smug:

OH HAI2U

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ Miy's is a good placeholder, and decent enough on a leveling toon. If you're talking about your keeper, I'd be more concerned with the 2he, since you won't hold aggro much.

tentacles fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 14, 2010

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Terashell posted:

I'm tempted to join up but... how feasible is it to freeversion a decent sniper?

My first character that got anywhere was a froob agent. As a main, they're difficult to play but rewarding in later levels. I wouldn't really recommend them for a newcomer.

You'll need a *lot* of credits or time to get all the nanos to make the most out of an agent, and you'll need to know how the other classes work to false prof them well. I also remember skill development making me cry, since a lot of our skills cost a lot to raise.

The benefit of having a froob agent is that you'll be able to cast the majority of useful buffs and experience most of the free content/gear with a single character.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
I loved the Shadowlands when I upgraded, though I was a die-hard froob before. The scenery's beautiful, there's a lot to do, and you get nice gear. If you have time to kill, following the story/questlines is fun. I remember being amazed at the amount of effort that went into the expansion.

Also you can kill this guy over and over again for kicks:

I'd actually recommend playing a free account till at least title level 6 before defroobing, though. It lets you see if you like the game, and you learn the ropes so you don't wipe your heckler/raid team :iamafag:

Matrim posted:

Grinding on those floating things in the sewers at the mine for 15 or however many levels is not fun, and your only other real choice for leveling the gap after temple of three winds is missions.

Floaters and bloaters are okay for leveling but better for creds. They also drop discs frequently, and are in the right range for GA (and GAII? if I remember right). They stop giving decent xp after level 80ish.

My usual route for froob characters is Noob Isle -> Subway -> Temple of Train Wrecks/Steps of Madness -> Foreman's -> Borgs -> Inner Sanctum -> High-level RK missions. Now I think back on it, Foreman's was lacking a little something compared to the other instances. I skip Crypt of Home entirely because nobody goes there for anything but loot. Borging is fun, but not time-efficient after level 105 or so.

God drat, now I want to roll another toon. :sigh: I need to lose my job faster. If anybody's in the game, I'm sometimes in Roflbot on my froob agent.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

Is the Enfraam's Trivial Fortification disk worth anything?

O_o

No. Or were you just asking that to, you know, make conversation?

I don't have any Russian Good Days, but do let me know if you need any fpable buffs.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

^^^ Why AO will always be #1

I still log now and then, though I'm waiting for a big chunk of free time to come up before I really binge. For any European goons, the AO team's having a get-together in September in Oslo. Wish I could attend but being in a completely different hemisphere sucks...

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Edit: and where the gently caress in the game is the pic in the OP with the mechs from? I don't remember any of that poo poo. :black101:

Yup, the mechs come with the Lost Eden expac. They're pretty nice, and some of the endgame raids with ubah drops are designed with them in mind. Meching up in battlestations is also a hoot!

To be honest, though, the thread title got it right: while I like perks, research, and SL/AI gear, the paid content I enjoy the most is my hoverboard.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Overequipping always seemed a logical aspect of twinking to me, and I like having to factor it in, even though I've never been a hardcore twinker. I learned to be careful what I click the first time I accidentally unequipped something that took most of a day to put on. Funnier in hindsight!

For actual content/updates, to everyone keeping track of the game's progress, Joystiq's running a poll on what the next Choose My Adventure game will be, and AO's one of the choices. I'm voting just to see Hindman's take on AO.

I'm also happy to note that Maple Story's only getting 1.3% of the votes right now. gently caress Maple Story.

Mmm. Twinking. Urge to relapse... rising...

edit: Linked the right page this time! Go me!

tentacles fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 7, 2011

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Doctoring is pretty passive/reactive, but everyone will <3 you. MPing is a lot of micro, personally satisfying (I suppose) but only concrete function in a team is to mezz - if you can get the slightly rarer mezz pets.

Roll an agent! The most unique, awesome MMO class ever made.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Just got my 10th Anniversary reactivate offer, two weeks valid up till 20th July

Now if only I had a desktop capable of running AO right now

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Yay, agent profession tweak documents incoming! I wonder how much our playstyle will change.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah and thanks for the help with the Daily, dude! It was nice chilling with you and Troika

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Most of the activity's in Borealis now from what I see

At least, I moved my buff business there after finding Rome mostly empty >_<

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Arriviste from #anarchy-online? I thought you dieded!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Heads up, servers were merged outta the blue yesterday.

No more Atlantean and Rimor, just one Rubi-ka. Hopefully this'll help the population issues.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Funcom posted:

Here is the algorithm we used to resolve naming collisions. It walks through each Check in order, and then either determines a "winner" (the guy who keeps the name), or it determines to move on to the next Check in the sequence if the winner cannot be determined on that check.

Check 0: Dead Accounts
Create 3 buckets
Most recent login for any character on the account is before 2003
Most recent login for any character on the account is between 2003-2008
Most recent login for any character on the account is after 2008
When comparing two characters, if they are in the same bucket move to Check 1. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name. Note this check is concerned with account activity, and not specifically the activity of the character in question.

Check 1: Character Age
Create 3 buckets
Age < 1 month
Age between 1 and 6 months
Age > 6 months
When comparing two characters, if the are in the same bracket OR if two characters are within 2 weeks of each other, move to Check 2. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name.

Check 2: Character /Played
Create 5 buckets
/Played < 48 hours
/Played between 48 and 168 hours
/Played between 168 and 984 hours
/Played >984 hours
Not played any character on their account for more than 1 year ago
Has played at least 1 character on their account in the last year
When comparing two characters, if they are in the same bracket OR if two characters are within 24 hours /played each other, move to Check 3. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name.

Check 3: Subscription Status
If the two characters are both on subscribed accounts, move to Check 4. If neither characters are on subscribed accounts, move to Check 5. If they have different subscription status, the one who is the subscriber keeps the name.

Check 4: Subscription Active
If both subscriptions are active, move to Check 5. If they have different values for active/inactive subscription, the one who is the active subscriber keeps the name.

Check 5: Was Born First
If the algorithm reaches this check, tie-breakers are resolved by who was born first.

A couple of notes:
Levels are not included because we don't want to penalize characters for being a mid-level twink. AO is a game where you can invest just as much time, effort, and passion into a non-220 as a 220.
No preference is given for dimension source. This includes D3 (German Servers).
A Froob will only lose to a Subscriber if they have previously tied on /Played and Character Age
Most collisions got resolved on Check 2 and before. I'm not aware of a single collision that actually hit Check 5.

This is why I always name my characters Humperdinckelschmidt.

Time to spend three months redoing my GUI and backpacks...

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Creizai posted:

Whats the best parts of AO that you geninunely liked. I always come back and never end up playing. This game has something special I just can't put my finger on what it is, and why I'm always so angry at it.

Playing an agent, casting nanos from almost every other profession and doing silly spike damage with my first character. Also dying whenever a mob sneezed at me.

I had trouble leveling anything else, I think I banged my head against MA and Advie for a few years and never got past level 50. After playing an agent I realised the other classes were just *boring*. The first agent I rolled, I leveled to 200 in something like four months, then 220 in two more after going paid.

I think a big part of the draw was that there was finally a point to leveling, that being access to the next tier of every single major buff available in the game (and a lot of profession-locked equipment). The complexity of agent play, and being able to mimic the other classes, drew me in and kept me coming back till endgame, where agents take the short, splintery end of the stick.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

So I tried moving to SL last night to get in on some of that supposed better xp, after having been somewhat more serviceably equipped. I made it to Jobe from Rome, and then found the Nascense portal in Harbor. This has to be the worst portal drop-off in the history of gaming; I ended up getting mauled by some level 20 Predator-Cat-Thing, only to end up back in OmniTrade where I insured myself. I'm going to try again tonight, following this guide.

I don't even play regularly anymore, but didn't the recent patch upgrade XP in RK instances to SL levels?

SL used to be hands-down better XP if you could find teams. I remember doing TL6 RK team mishes with my agent recently, and poo poo, the XP from one mish now is ridiculous. They're actually viable for endgame leveling without mind-numbing grinding, so a lot of sloobs actually joined the pub teams I made.

This is good, because RK instances/mishes rock.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Is it a bit chilly down under?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

revenance posted:

Godammit I forgot I was subscribed to this thread. *sees new replies, wonders if this is the day* NOPE.

The day for what

DON'T LEAVE US IN SUSPENSE YOU FIEND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
I would play the poo poo out of AO on my tablet. Someone make this happen!

• Locked thread