Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

I'll tell you what wont ever be fixed or improved, Agent false professions. :(

Reason I quit after getting my Agent to 215. They put out 3 or 4 patches that progressively nerfed Agents and made Soldiers pretty much invincible in 1v1 PvP...

Even though soloing Alb (was it alb? it was the inferno dungeon with all the terrors and such) was fun, not getting invited to any raids because well.. you're an AGENT.. sucked pretty bad. I just got another offer from FC to reactivate so I might sign back up at some point.

As a word of warning, unless you're in one of the three orgs that have enough people to run game-end poo poo, and unless you're a doc/tank, good luck getting to do anything but solo/PVP past 210.

In other news, how's that fancy-rear end OMG NEW GRAPHICS UPDATE coming along? I've been waiting for that poo poo for ages.

EDIT: Also, I'll probably reactivate, see how the climate is now-how is Clan doing on RK2 (Rimor)? When I left, it was so disorganized that Tara/Towers/Station wins were a once in a million occurence. I've been playing on and off since beta. If you know them, I was one of the starting members of Leet-Bloc, LSoR, and a bunch of other Rimor Clan guilds.

EDIT 2: Read up on the website, new engine is coming summer '09 now? Good ol' FC.... It was announced for December of 08 "at the LATEST" before. :laugh: Also, Sil is no longer the chief GM? All you ex-agents out there might want to join back up, cause this just might be the best news for non-soldier profs in a while. (Sil was an rear end to agents and basically bowed to shade/soldier OMG we're not invincible enough! whining.)

As far as it's dev history-yeah. AO is pretty much the poster-child for how NOT to run a game, but the community is great and after 7 years of bugs the game is very much stable, barring the occasional total rear end-gently caress of everything on the servers and a couple of bugs that won't go away (Pet pathing :P )

The community still rocks though-I think this is the only game that has it's own fan-run radio station and such.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just signed back up and got riight back into my old org. Now all the newbies are 220 and they're helping me grind the last few levels. :)

Honestly, there's something about the way that AO gets bugged that is great. Both by the scale of the bugs (hey guys! we just patched all these old bugs! this is gonna be GREAT!!!! oh wait. noone can change zones any more. We'll fix that soon, enjoy sitting in a shop and bitching in OOC!) and by the general community reaction, which is more along the lines of "wheeeee FC does it again!" instead of the usual whine/bitchfest.

And yeah, the new projection is for Summer of '09. Taking all bets on it being released in 2011 for DX8 and 2015 for DX10.

Also, I just have a bit of hate left for Sil from the before when he would pretty much bow to soldiers/shades whining about not being godlike enough and keep nerfing agents because they had one good attack (aimed shot).

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Detaer posted:

So the scale of the bugs is so huge that you can do nothing but sit back and laugh? You just whack your leg put on a hearty grin and say "Ohh FunCom you scamp! har har!" That is something you like in an MMO? I am really not seeing how that is something I could deal with. I played AoC for 3 weeks after release, I decided to dump the game because it was a giant pile of poo poo. Now here we are how many years after AO's release and they are still doing poo poo like this? I am amazed they have enough of a customer base or revolving door of investors to keep them afloat. AO:C (Anarchy Online : Crap edition) doesn't seem to be getting any better the more it gets patched, is this Stockholm syndrome at work?

My post was referring to launch/the year or so past launch where the game was amazingly bugged. The only time it was that bad since was for about 2 hours after a major patch (when half the servers were down for some reason or other).

EDIT: Also seriously, did a trox steal your cookie or some poo poo? If you don't like the game don't post.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 5, 2008

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think right after you left Clan got their rear end handed to em nice and proper-up until I quit, clan was a joke in any and every PvP setup-battlefields, Tara, towers were 99% omni owned.

I reactivated a couple days ago-so far it seems that Clan has declined even more-Athens was so empty that it actually got taken over by omni's for a good 3-4 hours. No problem finding groups so far-mostly because I still have connects at a bunch of guilds, but I think if i ended up starting off solo it would be pretty tough to get any good high-level groups going.

Didn't spend more than 5 hours in so far, so we'll see how it goes.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vidmaster posted:

I plan on hitting 220 with my doctor this weekend, so if anyone would like to tag along and watch me get banned after the "Dongfrenzy has reached enlightenment" message gets broadcast to the server you should come hang out on Saturday afternoon!

Why are you getting banned?

Also, what server/side?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreissi posted:

I plan on hitting 220 with my doctor this weekend, so if anyone would like to tag along and watch me get banned after the "Dongfrenzy has reached enlightenment" message gets broadcast to the server you should come hang out on Saturday afternoon!

Dongfrenzy. Dongfrenzy

Oh, and would a crat work decent starting out?

DURR. Uhm mis-read that part. I don't think he's gonna get banned.

Also, Crats seem pretty okay-i'd suggest an advy/enforcer/soldier to start though, easier to play till you get accustomed, IMHO.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kedo posted:

Man there were so many things about AO that I loved, but I just can't stomach all the twinking in this game again. I played a fixer way back in the day, and I remember getting all sorts of poo poo because I only had HoTs that were like... ten levels above me, not twenty. Hurrrr.

Last time I played I couldn't get past the graphics/controls. They're way worse than I remember. Graphics I can let slide, but god the controls were sluggish and impossible to use.

That's what I'm running into right now. I love the community (took me 30 mins to get back into my old org and it's fun to see the same faces again), but godDAMN gently caress TWINKING. Even though I have the best twinker in the game helping me, it's still just a royal pain in the rear end. Having to run all around RK to get the pieces I need (why can't GMS just deliver poo poo to you :argh: ). Solo content is still pretty much not there-unless you're talking an s10 twink/220 keeper or shade, there's really very little to do for any meaningful gain. My main can solo alba, but meh-45 minutes of kiting isn't my cup of tea.

\/\/\/\/\/ Yeah, heckler grind pretty much killed off the rest of the game :( Past level 60-ish you don't see anything but hecklers until 200+, then nothing but inf mishes, unless you actually take the time and explore.

I'm about to start putting together yalm/protected tours just so people realize there's more out there. It's too bad that the best XP is only out in SL fringes though.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 14, 2008

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
^^^^ If you want to just grind till you get to alien sectors/etc, just do Ely hecklers till you get to adonis, do hecklers till you can buy yer boots and start grinding Inferno missions..... Seriously, get a Yalm and start exploring around so you don't get bored.

Hello Sailor posted:

Do you ever get a chance to reset your skill points? The fixer guide says to never put any points in psychic/nano, but I didn't have enough max nano to activate my entry-level HoT and dumped some points into it.

edit for clarification: Was about 40 max nano short at lvl 7.

I'm not sure if new toons still get it, but there's always a Full IP Reset and about 3-5 single-skill IP resetters per title (at tl7-210+, i have about 2-3 dozen individual IPRs and 1 full reset available), plus IIRC you can buy some resetters with points gained from PvP. Only reason resetting is a pain in the rear end is if you twink poo poo on and then have to re-twink (Skill resets require you to take out every single item/implant you're wearing)

You have to work REALLY hard to majorly gently caress yourself with skill points unless you're doing a 150 twink (full IPR cause i hosed my soldier's nano skills aaaaagghhhhhhhhhhh).

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 16, 2008

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I dunno if Agents should be considered a "hard" class. I played mine pretty seat-of-the-pants up to 50 or so and had no problems, although admittedly I was given a pretty dastardly rifle by some high level dude in my guild. (I one-shotted a few people in PvP.) I really liked the idea of the class, and it was a lot of fun to play.

They've been made much much harder-as with the rest of the classes, every attack is percentage-based for PvP (highest is i think 25% of total enemy HP?) and dmg-capped for PvM. With agents really having 2 attacks (Made and AS) they're pretty low on the dmg scale-but the snares and false profs make up for it. It's not VERY hard, but it's definitely a class that requires a good knowledge of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slumpy posted:

My only real complaint is the huge ammount of unnecessary skills and even armor slots (Sleeves? Might as well make a shoelace slot).

Sleeves? Look up Combined armor or De'Valos or OFab or the soldier sleeves (forget what they're called.

This game relies heavily on having the right skills, and having that many slots helps you get the right buffing items.

Tysh-there's definitely a way to un-gimp toons. I've reset my Agent's skills 3 times, and perks way too many times to count. My MA has had at least 4 re-dos, my soldier, 2.

It's easy enough unless you have seriously twinked implants in that you don't want to take out.

• Locked thread