Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started with AO just after launch, then wandered away after SL emptied Rubi-Ka. I've made several return visits and was even an ARK. In the end without the population and a focus on Rubi-Ka it can't really hold me. SL and all the metaphysical pseudo-fantasy crap really depressed me as it drained the life from what was a great science fiction game.

A new game based on the sci-fi side of AO would be a good thing, along with a bit of streamlining of some of the gamemechanics like clusters. Can't see that happening though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Christ, I forgot about the huge, fuckoff multi hit nukes. :gibs:

There are still NTs?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I didn't mind NTs being gimped as hell as much as I did "nano fatigue" from endless nano casting. It was a relief to go back to something with a gun, or an MA. And of course there were all those times I wound up a big nano and zapped myself with it. :(

You can't shoot yourself accidentally; you shouldn't be able to target yourself with a hostile nano.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I can remember a few times in the Temple where a pull went bad and I got a nice fat nano ready and saw my guy raise his hands in the air like he was buffing himself and I thought "Oh poo poo" and sure enough I "buffed" myself with death ensuring a wipe.

I feel like I did this with my doc but it's been a while so I can't recall if docs can dot themselves like NTs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ra posted:

Also, ive pumped a lot of points into tradeskilling, but whenever i make a healing kit or stim, it ends up not being usable in the shadowlands.

Tir School of Engineering might still be a good tradeskilling guide but what I learned with my engie is that at low levels it's just not worth it. I tried making my own armor, working on my engie pistol but in the end it just sucked points away from the skills I was going to need to get into a bigger and better bot, and to tune it up nice.

I did like using that engie gun but once I found a redline grenade launcher there was no turning back. There's nothing like having a gun that is so loud that other players have to constantly ask what the hell you're using. :)

P.S. There's also http://www.jexai.co.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Rubi-Ka and my all time favorite, Anarchy Arcanum which lives on in archived form.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I think it's probably the most rear end in a top hat mechanic I've ever come across in a game.

Guess that means you haven't tried making your own implants yet. :D

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If you want to pull missions you must MUST use Clicksaver. It gives you a lovely interface where you can immediately see the location and reward. As you go up in level you're going to find that the mission location is further away, so below level 10 if you're in Rome Blue most of the missions will be in one of the Romes, then they'll start branching out to Galway, etc. If you are looking for specific items (ex: Concrete cushions) you can put that into Clicksaver, tell it how many times you want it to pull missions (ex: 50) and then it will try 50 times to find a mission that meets your criteria. Early on I make a nice list of the stuff I want (ex: med suit, buffing INT pistols, etc.) and then let Clicksaver roll a bunch of missions until I get the things I need.

As for Whompas there are some wonderful maps you can add to AO that show you how the transport system works, including the Grid. Each class has a basic set of stats to boost but for all classes Comp Literacy is important because it not only allows you to use better NCU storage (to run more buffs at one time) but gives you increased access to the grid.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Rolling for these basic items has just become part of my usual alt routine. I never made a truly rich character so alts tend to pay their way by rolling the basics, and then doing a little blitzing until the missions start to get too far away.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

After reading the NT forum today I'm probably going to shelve my NT until the class gets an overhaul or a review or some kind of love from FunCom.

NTs have been waiting for that review since around 2003. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Meta can be fun but pet management can be miserable in AO, even with scripts and macros. Also get used to the funny deflating sound your pets make when they die because you will be hearing it. A lot!

Using pets in AO sends you through a lot of peaks and valleys. There will be times when you feel like a badass (when you level up into a new pet) and times when you feel like a punching bag (when you outlevel your pets and can't get into the next one.)

It's still great to give the attack command and see your pet say "Blood!" and go in for the kill. I just wish I didn't finish as many fights running for my life when the pets die and lose aggro. :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Crunk Magnet posted:

BTW if anyone happens to come across a notum chip I'd love to buy it. Talk to you guys soon.

Making your engie gun, hmmmm?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I usually start collecting the bits as soon as I hit the Subway. Between the robot mobs and the rest I usually get a robotic control collar as well as a notum chip.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's still free for the basic game but as far as I know there's still no way to downgrade a paying account to a free one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

You can use your basic nano plus a pistol to get through noob island. At the end if you collect enough creds you can by the nanotech starter pack of crystals from the vendor near the exit.

As for spending IP take a look at the AO NT forum for some guides. I haven't played one for a while because I would rather shoot shoot shoot than nuke nuke nuke. Also I nuked myself many a time but never shot myself so NT are not Trauma-safe.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Yeah, pretty much everyone needs to keep first aid and time and space boosted to keep up with health and nano kits, and first aid and nanoboosts. In addition if you go Omni (Yay Omni!) you can mission for a full medsuit that will boost your first aid so high that you won't need armor for quite some time. Your ability to heal yourself will far outpace the ability of enemies to hurt you worse than if you had armor.

So avoid that newcomer armor crap and just see if you can get off Noob Island with two of those sided shoulder pads and an upgraded weapon, maybe a range finder or one of the other low level crafted items on the island. I usually kill a shitload of critters and loot absolutely everything so I can get the stuff I want before I leave.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wrangles. God. I leveled a Trader to 20 something before my brain imploded from the constant need to "ladder" my way up from drain to drain just to put my shotgun on. Of all classes I have the most respect for Traders because holy poo poo there's just nothing enjoyable about wrangling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Technogeek posted:

Tell you what. If you can get together a set of steel-ribbed armor (any type or combination thereof), I'll turn it into this stuff for you. Good fixer armor from my experience.

And what if he's a stinking clammer? :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Considering how many times since launch I've had to escape into the Grid to get away from bugs they ought to put some couches or something in there. Maybe a bartender.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

They're still working on it. Originally it was going to be the OGRE engine, but a year or two into that massive rewrite somebody said "Don't we already have a completed engine that we used for Age of Conan?" and Means said "Oh yeah." So they've scrapped the OGRE engine rewrite and are going to use that instead.

There have been some developer screenshots of new character heads,showing how they've mapped the old textures onto a more normal head models. If they can continue along this path with AoC's character generator they'll have some of the best looking MMO characters out there. Albeit locked into an ancient game world, but still. Half the fun of AO is looking good while killing things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I misspoke and I should've known someone would get me. I didn't mean the old low res textures were remapped and I should've made it clear that they recreated the old textures at a higher res prior to the mapping. The only changes they've made are for the purpose of the mapping because they otherwise look exactly the same, in a good way. It is an honest attempt at a literal translation from old to new.

People who might've played a character since 2001 would probably not be upset to see how nicely they are bringing those old heads into the new engine. When you consider how odd some of them are it's quite a feat to translate them to a more capable model.

Lots of example of old vs. new and how good a job they've done: http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarchy/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2538&table=CONTENT

EDIT: Those Shadowland era heads still look like poo poo, though. The original heads are all sorts of awesome but from SL onward it's been a comedy of poorly done head textures. Those walleyes... ugh.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 2, 2009

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

So you're one of those strange people that picked Opifex but don't want to be cute? :colbert:

If they integrate the AoC character builder I can continue to churn out ugly, squat characters as is my wont.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I'm partial to the male Nano with the sombrero looking hat.

I call that one "the gaucho." Use /flamenco with him as often as possible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think I still have Nelly Johnson's Little Black Dress on one of my alts, moldering away in the bank. That used to go for an insane amount of money. Crats! V:shobon:V

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Machado de Assis posted:

good to see folks are still playing AO, memories of training sandworms (and brontos\rhinomen) to totw entrance still holds a special place in my heart :unsmith:

The worst are those giant spiders. Yes the sandworms are way harder to kill but when you're standing there typing trying to form a group and suddenly GIANT SPIDER it used to scare the poo poo out of me. Sandworm trains that drive everyone inside the temple are funny because it's like a tornado shelter... for sandworms.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was in one of those, just the GoT though. Definitely a rock and a hard place! I never did like that temple but zoning in and seeing Aztur and all his little friends slaughtering nubs in the main hall was enough to make me just log out for the night.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was bummed to find that even with low population those dynacamps are camped pretty hard. If you have a Yalm it's a bit easier but once the maps came out it became much more difficult to make a circuit. I did manage to get my beloved Redline grenade launcher though! I enjoy having a weapon that makes people go "What the hell are you using?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Can I turn myself into a Frankenleet this year? I remember doing that and being gone for so long that when I logged back in people were freaked out to see this little monster leet running around.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gearhead posted:

That was one of the things I always hated about Shadowlands. Having to downgrade weapons, if you were melee, in order to actually do damage to the mobs.

I will let you know if I ever find anything I like about Shadowlands. That was the beginning of the end of what made AO fun. Goodbye sci-fi, hello goofball psychic mumbojumbo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

So I just accidentally pulled like a 30 Cultist train in ToTW trying to find the exit. That's a first in any MMO I've ever played. :downs:

It wouldn't be the temple without the trains. I revived my old EQ1 "choo" macro to shout "CHOO CHOO TRAIN TO EXIT!" just for the temple.

And it's not a real train until you bring at least one boss with you. A long time ago someone was training sandworms to the entrance so I ran inside only to find Aztur and GoT murdering people in the main hall.

I chose the sandworms.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Telravin posted:

Shadowlands has effectively split up the entire community.

This happened years ago when SL was released. It was depressing for people like me who really enjoyed Rubi-Ka and hated SL.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gearhead posted:

To this day I do not understand why Funcom thought that creating Shadowlands was a good idea.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :blush:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Fewd posted:

I don't even consider this game playable without two accounts and dual logging/boxing. All subs should include at least two separate accounts. Or just halve the price. Whatever.

Good thing AO is so old that any modern computer will easily run a few AO's at the same time. I've had 4 clients running without problems :haw:

The best use of that is four synchronized dancing Atrox wearing thongs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Haven't been on in a long time with my froob account so I'm patching away. I see they let froobs into org buildings now. That's nice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

-Troika- posted:

:downsgun:

So those incredibly rare ql150 support ears? I found one on GMS today for 100k.

Do people just not price check this poo poo or what? The last one I saw was 12m.

I still have Nelly's little black dress somewhere because at the time it was worth a shitload of creds for people making the crat suit. Not everything continues to gain in value over time.

I could probably sell old Christmas stuff for more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

If anybody has any of the MTI - Russian Good Day line of submachine guns laying around gathering dust I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. I can't get enough of the sound they make when they fire.

Anyone who likes weapon noises owes it to themselves to use a Redline grenade launcher at least once.

It was the only weapon I ever had that made people say "What the hell was that?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I look back on the first years of AO fondly. It had a great sci-feel and the original art team did solid work, even with the item icons. I listen to the music regularly and even played it as background to other games.

We really need a good sci-fi mmorpg.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When I got my new machine I didn't reinstall. I still have a bunch of characters on my old pay account as well as my froob one. It's just so hard to go back to such an empty game.

Running past BB in Omni has been depressing over the last few years. If only they hadn't let their engine languish things might have been different.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I still have some sealed up santa costumes from years back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't think for even one moment I enjoyed the whole OE bullshit. What an annoying mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Fewd posted:

The alternatives are even more bullshitty, would you prefer items being level locked instead? Or "soulbound"?

Yes. OE was idiotic and basically made huge swathes of the game content pointless because players would outpace it without even leaving Rome. If a L5 player is functionally L20 and L20 is functionally L40 all it does is skew the player/content connection. With level locking you can match the items, player level and content designed for that level.

Instead people spend most of their time buffing themselves, getting external buffs, getting wrangles and working on their drat implants. And god help you if you ever accidentally take something off.

And AO has always had the UNIQUE and NODROP flags for items to prevent having multiple special items, or trading special items. It's only the OE mechanic that was different from most games.

• Locked thread