Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I played this game from about launch up until about last year. It soaked up so much of my life, but I wouldn't change a thing. It is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had with a video game. To be honest though, it has definitely lost a lot of its appeal.

It was fun in the beginning because there was so much mystery to the whole game. People would level ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE on Rubi-ka, the community was great, and the gameplay was fun. NW made the game amazingly fun. I remember every friday night going in-game to a huge party at Reet Retreat where everyone would dance in-game while listening to a live DJ steaming.

Pretty much after Shadowlands came out, the game started losing its fun. Shadowlands basically made it so that EVERYONE leveled on hecklers, because you were dumb to ignore that much XP. So all the other leveling spots became abandoned. It was also about this time that I feel like nobody bothered with exploration and just admiring the game, but rather just grinded hecklers until the max level just to PvP. I used to get home from school and play this for HOURS doing whatever the hell I could think of, exploring the whole map. There are literally THOUSANDS of amazing little things hidden around Rubi-ka that I bet 90% of the current playerbase has never seen. I'll miss SW mines, NW mines, 8x8, VBs, Smuggler's Run, etc..

Sorry to get all 'in my day' on you guys. The game is still plenty fun and I very much encourage all you newcomers to try the game out. But don't play it just to level fast, play it and enjoy it, it's one of the best MMORPGS ever created in my opinion.

EDIT: To those who are new, and to those who came in after Shadowlands, I suggest one thing to you: some time in your playing career, please just get in a Yalmaha and fly around through every zone. There is so much atmosphere to appreciate, so many little towns to see, it really is the BEST Sci-fi MMORPG there is.

ten_twentyfour fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

There are only a handful of instruction disks worth anything: Nullity Sphere I, Nullity Sphere 2 (which is a regular drop off only one, high level, mob), and the 4 Grid Armor nanos, all of which are extremely rare. Odds are you don't have them, so just vendor it all. Pretty much nothing that drops off regular mobs is worth money to anyone except a vendor.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

uPen posted:

They sent out 2 images from the beta with the email trying to trick you into paying them $100 to play anarchy online.

<images>

The first thing I thought is it looks like Morrowind when you spend a few hours modding in new textures and shaders.

Anarchy Online is still my favorite MMO I've ever played but jesus just let the game die already. How are they even making money? I know there's advertising but who's paying to have nobody look at their ads?

That said, if Funcom ever made AO2 I would be willing to give them $1,000 for a lifetime sub with beta access as soon as it was announced.

• Locked thread