Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Just a reminder that this game requires certain levels in MAP READING to use maps. That you have to buy. And plug in your head. Also, you might as well run around naked for all the good 80% of the gear does. I mean, who thought making damage specific armor class attributes for armor and then saying 1k specific AC = 1 pt damage reduction was a great idea? Also, the core game is still buggy as all hell after seven years.

This game is just horrible all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Tyshalob posted:

Just a reminder that this game requires certain levels in MAP READING to use maps. That you have to buy. And plug in your head. Also, you might as well run around naked for all the good 80% of the gear does. I mean, who thought making damage specific armor class attributes for armor and then saying 1k specific AC = 1 pt damage reduction was a great idea? Also, the core game is still buggy as all hell after seven years.

This game is just horrible all around.

I wish to retract a bit of what I said for the sake of fairness to the game, and because of recent events that have altered my opinion slightly. When I last played AO (earlier this yearish) I had a computer that for whatever reason rendered this game like absolute rear end despite having hardware far better than the recommended. That computer died about a week ago, and I'm now playing on a computer with less awesome hardware. This computer can render AO just fine with solid framerates even in Rome Blue with hundreds or thousands of people running around.

Newbie Island still has some odd bugs. Last night the Junkbot Leader decided to walk off the edge of the pier and started sailing off into the sunset after I took a shot at him. Some other players came to do the same mission and we all just sat and watched the robot as he finally came to a stop about a mile out. I petitioned it, but around an hour later there was no response.

The general uselessness of gear also still stands as one of my complaints about the game. Also the unnecessarily complicated skill/attribute advancement system. It's nice that it allows you to only advance things you want, but it could have probably been simplified and should have included a way to ungimp an otherwise gimped character.

I have to admit that re-rolling a character last night and starting over was kind of fun. It isn't a great game by any measure, but as a free MMO it's probably one of the better ones available. I'll probably be applying for the Gooncorp as Bolahsyt sometime.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Naturally Selected posted:

Sleeves? Look up Combined armor or De'Valos or OFab or the soldier sleeves (forget what they're called.

This game relies heavily on having the right skills, and having that many slots helps you get the right buffing items.

Tysh-there's definitely a way to un-gimp toons. I've reset my Agent's skills 3 times, and perks way too many times to count. My MA has had at least 4 re-dos, my soldier, 2.

It's easy enough unless you have seriously twinked implants in that you don't want to take out.

Doesn't resetting IP also require the Shadowlands expansion? I seem to recall that it also costs 250,000,000 spacebux.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I've got about half a dozen or more of these instruction disc things. Are they worth hanging on to, or should I just vendor them?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Is there an easy way to move items/money between characters on the same account, or is the only way to do it with a mule account?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ra posted:

Oh dear god, the learning curve! I made some stims, but for some reason cant use them, even though i have all the skill prerequisites. I just tried to go into nascence to level, but everything gangs up on me. Oh god this game is overwhelming.

Also I cant seem to access the roflbot chat channel. Ive tried /ch and /join, but those dont work =(.

When you shift-click the item does it say "Must be on Rubi Ka" anywhere in the description? I took a Soldier into the Shadowlands content and was caught off guard by that.

Now for my own questions:
How do you avoid an IP drought? I just hit like level 10 with an Enforcer, but for the last two or three levels it has been hard to keep skills maxed that I need to keep maxed. This last level I couldn't do it at all. Also, is my strategy upon going to Rome to grab the Med Suit like I did with a Soldier, or is it entirely different? And why do they make a class that relies on nano pretty heavily so expensive to level up nano skills?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Captain Schlork posted:

GoonCorp on RK1, Omni side.

Fixers can rock TL3 PVP if you can get hold of Grid Armor 4 and be able to actually cast it. I think it costs around 120mil on the markets now. Otherwise it takes a crapton of effort and credits to twink a good PVP fixer and you should really only start a project like that after leveling at least one char to 220, so you can fund new ones properly. PvE is of course a different matter and you can get away with a lot less sweat and blood to manage decently.

Fixers are sense/agi based so Opifex is the best choice since you get into slightly better gear earlier on. Solitus and Trox are still both perfectly viable options.

e: besides, we look loving badass.

Click here for the full 622x764 image.

Fixers also run at like warp 9 and still suffer from tight IP, but it isn't as bad as a class like Soldier. I actually hit title level 1 caps on three or four skills.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I can't stop trying out all the classes. So far I've messed with a Soldier, a Fixer, a Keeper and an Enforcer. Now I'm thinking about toying around with a Nano Tech.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't mind NTs being gimped as hell as much as I did "nano fatigue" from endless nano casting. It was a relief to go back to something with a gun, or an MA. And of course there were all those times I wound up a big nano and zapped myself with it. :(

You can't shoot yourself accidentally; you shouldn't be able to target yourself with a hostile nano.

There's nothing better than accidentally rooting yourself and getting killed because of it.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Something that keeps irritating me is how from levels 1 - 6 or so IP isn't a problem at all, but then from 7 - 14 JESUS CHRIST GOOD LUCK DOING MORE THAN UPPING A COUPLE BASE ATTRIBUTES AND TWO OR THREE SKILLS BECAUSE OH GOD 4,000 POINTS AMOUNTS TO gently caress ALL. Then you cross the title level and get 10,000 points and for like one level that's pretty awesome, but then you're right back to deciding if you want hit points or nano this level and oh hey treatment sorry can't level you because my nano skills are falling behind and I haven't bought new nanos since newbie island and that's okay I didn't want implants anyway. What the hell were they thinking?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Captain Schlork posted:

Breedcaps at TL5+ rock. At the moment I've got 120 000 IP waiting for spending but got nothing to spend it on.

On the other hand the IP tightness makes you plan your every move carefully and judge what's most important to your class and your particular setup, and then fill in the shortcomings with buff items, perks, research and whatnot. It's hard but rewarding.

It's also ridiculously punitive to new players that are unfamiliar with the system, requires knowledge of things in advance (equipment requirements) you can't know without obsessively scouring the forums and various related sites (and who wants to do that), and rewarding is not the word I'd use for it. I think it's probably the most rear end in a top hat mechanic I've ever come across in a game.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Immolat1on posted:

I think I'm missing something on the traveling aspect in this game. I have missions that seem very far away to run to but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to places. My skill isn't high enough for the grid and I don't get wompahs at all. Please help.

Unless the reward is really, really, really, really worth it just stick to running missions in the same general area you are in. It's much easier, faster, and more profitable (blitzing). Otherwise if you don't mind alt-tabbing a lot you can pull up maps in a browser.

Also, I think I have a viable not-quite-so-badly-gimped ranged Opi Adventurer. So far I've made it to level 15 and IP is tight, but I've been able to actually put points core abilities AND nanos. I had to find a guide offsite to do it though. God drat those profession guides on the AO forums are mostly retarded.

As for making my own implants: I have yet to play a tradeskill class. My Adventurer has 19 points in Nano Programming, and those are all points that trickled down. I can make like ql5 implants and that's it. That's a real bitch since half the implants for Adventurers in the basic store are useless for ranged Advies.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 7, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Immolat1on posted:

How do you tell if they are in the same city you are in?

If you're pulling missions from a terminal it will usually say in the text what playfield the mission is in (Rome Blue, Rome Green, Rome Stretch, Galway Shire, Clondyke, blah blah blah). If you're in the same area the mission is in, the location will show up as a little white x on the map and you'll have an orange square on your compass to lead you in the general direction. Sometimes you'll have to read through a bunch of fluff flavor text for missions to find the location. Some missions also don't tell you where to go at all and you have to hunt for a person all over the drat place. Avoid those. The text usually says something to the effect of "We want you to find/kill this person, but we don't know where they are." There are also missions where I think Funcom went overboard on the text and it can't display it all so it doesn't say where the mission is. I also seem to recall that if you slide the Cash/XP bar all the way over to XP you get a lot more missions in your general area.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I've managed to stick with an Opifex martial artist for more than five minutes (this is a serious feat). I hit level 14 screwing around in the Subway and then set 100% of my XP gained for research. Finished three (I think) level one researches down there. Managed to just barely squeeze into some ql30 implants at like level 11 or 12. Right now I can take my MA into the deeper Subway area and solo up to 3 red mobs at a time without too much trouble.

So now I'm wondering about things like armor. I've been wearing an Omni-Tek Med Suit since leaving Newbie Island except for the boots. I managed to get a pair of Boots of Infinite Speed that I've read are a rare drop. How soon should I get out of the Med Suit? I've been thinking about a full set of Carbonum armor, but I'm not sure as to what quality level is even worth bothering to try to get into. Are there any decent SEN/AGI based armors for MAs?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Rapacity posted:

I've been in a game hiatus recently and this was the only older mmo other than doac that I've never tried. I watched a couple of vids on youtube, voiced by some crazy bastard that speaks 5000 words a minute, and got a nice mmo-urge on.

This game looks truly horrible. I can't even properly describe it but from the ui to the way mobs are somehow 'messed-together' from a targeting viewpoint, I hated even the very beginning. I usually eat up the newb areas in any game but I hated this.

It doesn't help when the 80 thousand stats make any piece of gear almost unfathomable for a beginner. It's a ridiculous system when 90% of people will follow a build they read online (me included).

Anyway, this game will hold a place in my heart for being the only game I think I've ever played where I didn't bother to make it out of the newb zone.

The game is just really bloody old and unfortunately FunCom hasn't bothered to make any real attempt at modernizing it in any way. They're working on a new graphics engine upgrade, but the screenshots from it look like poo poo to be honest. The mission system is horrible and the reward is useless/worthless 99% of the time. By the time you figure this out you realize that all the PvE is just there for you to grind up cash and levels for their all-PvP endgame. There's a whole litany of complaints I could ragepost about all day. With all of that said Anarchy Online is probably one of the better free MMOs on the market. It's certainly better than playing those Korean massively multiplayer online animes that you can't take two steps without tripping over these days.

But yeah, I kind of have to agree with anyone that says "gently caress Anarchy Online." Especially because you can't DOWNGRADE an account back to free after you upgrade to a subscription. I just lost five million credits on a character on that account.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

:siren: Dyna loot is back on newb island. :siren:

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Oh god I'm back loving around with this game on my old froob account. Dicking around with an Atrox melee Adventurer. Oh god why.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

EDGECRUSHER posted:

Interesting week, got to 219 and stalled out on teams. No hope for getting any of the DB poo poo done, and only a miracle did I get the 1k board upgrade quest done. Same with the Xan poo poo, I think that I'm just going to call it quits after this month is up.

Meh, it's a fun game, but when you miss poo poo, there's nothing you can do about it.

I just read a thread over on the IGN AO board about how nobody wants to team up with anyone from levels 200 - 219. Why is that?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Candida albicans posted:

I suppose he covered that in his post. People are too picky to do anything but a 220 easy or hard.

I'd call the 150-200 much harder than 200+ though, the grouping is totally dead on those levels. I think the LFT related to TL5-6 levels is the main reason I usually have quit AO. It's so drat hard to find groups and when someone finally ninjainvites you it's "RK mish kk?". Call me picky then but I'd rather crush my skull with a crt monitor than run any more Broken Shores missions for exp, ever again.

I've only ever gotten a character up to like level 20 so I have no idea what you're talking about. Mind explaining why it's such a pain to get groups in the 150 - 200 and 200 - 219?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Atlantean seems pretty busy most of the time. I never really went anywhere other than Rome so I can't really speak of anywhere outside of there, but most of the time I spent in Rome there were usually a fair number of people just standing around doing nothing outside the basic shops.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I think I might be seduced by the nuke power of the Nano-Technician. Any advice for a froob?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Captain Schlork posted:

Just read the profession guides through on the official forums. It's a pretty versatile prof as you can choose whether you want to use a weapon or just totally focus on nano damage. Miy's Nano Armor will be your friend along the way.

How terrible is soloing with an NT? I prefer to do stuff like leveling and missions on my own. Did I pick the wrong profession for that?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

After reading the NT forum today I'm probably going to shelve my NT until the class gets an overhaul or a review or some kind of love from FunCom. Quite frankly the thought of running around in a circle while occasionally stopping to cast an AoE or a nuke to gain levels doesn't really appeal to me. Also I don't have expansions so all the "good" kiting spots for exp/credits are apparently not available for me. Kind of a shame since I normally enjoy playing "mage" classes, but it just seems like survivability is questionable for an NT with my play style.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 14, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Started a melee Adventurer today and even made it all the way to Rome! I said I'd never do it because it seems so loving dumb that this is how I have to make money, but I rolled missions until I finally got a QL10 Concrete Cushion (only cost me 1k credits). What are those selling for these days?

Also, I picked up two QL10 SOL Fire Executioner Type C and one Type E. Are the Type C an okay weapon for a lvl 12 froob?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Made 900k last night selling Concrete Cushions and Second Hand Old English Trading Company Pistols. :smug: Concrete Cushions pretty much go for 100k a set now and pistols 75 - 100k a set.

I'm not very happy with the way the melee advie is turning out, and I decided to just keep him around to blitz for junk to sell and fund a Martial Artist.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Mostly it's IP distribution that I think is wrong with the character. I'm having a hard time deciding how/when/why to spend IP in things, and I just drained what little IP reserve I had to bring run speed up to an acceptable level and breaking and entering so I could unlock a door. Even after reading guides I'm a bit lost. Some say max this, this, and this every level. Some say not to. Nano skills, weapon specials and "non-essential" attributes are probably the most confusing for me. Let's look at nano skills for an example. The two guides I've read for Adventurers agree that the three important skills are MM, BM, and SI and suggest that they be maxed every level. But isn't that eventually just going to lead to wasted IP because you've exceeded the needed value for some nano that is the last in that line? Like let's say that the highest value needed in MM to use any nano that requires it is 500. Because I've been maxing MM every level it has a value of 900. That's 400 points worth of IP in MM wasted that could have gone into something else.

I don't know. Maybe I'm worried too much about being gimped worse than I already am as a froob. I'm probably thinking too much about this scenario or that scenario. It's just kind of frustrating trying to figure this thing out.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Found this gem.

I kind of liked the old interface and character creation. Why'd they change that?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Roflbot is being kind of retarded and not actually inviting me into the private channel for some reason. It says that it is, but there's no confirmation window popping up asking me which window I want it to go to.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Vidmaster posted:

If it's acting up you might just need to go and subscribe to the channel manually. Send the tell about joining first, then right click the window and go to subscribe groups -> private channels -> Roflbot, and hopefully that will work.

When I don't get the confirmation popup asking where I want to send Roflbot it doesn't appear as an option under private channels. In fact if I try to leave Roflbot it says I'm not even in the channel.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

BobOfDoom posted:

I'd be interested in playing a Doctor, but I'm not sure I want to bang my head against the keyboard trying to learn effective playing. Are there any articles/guides/collections of tips for me to read over to speed that process along?

You can try reading the Doctor profession forum. How useful/helpful it will be is kind of up in the air. Most of the profession forums are full of bitter vets bitching about why their profession isn't the uberest at the terrible PvP Anarchy Online offers and other assorted complaints about end game matters.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 15, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ryen Deckard posted:

Holy poo poo good to see this thread is still going.
I just started playing again as Ryendekard, you might have seen me asking a poo poo load of questions in roflbot and trying to get an invite to gooncorp over the past 3 days.

Any suggestions for a level 16 soldier? I just upgraded to SL+AI and I'm stuck using a QL 5 Div9 since I can't find a good upgrade, and clicksaver just can't seem to find a new div9 (I've tried over 500 times now)

February is correct. You should go about getting yourself a Perennium Blaster around level 25, and I guess you don't even have to deviate from that gun for the rest of the game. Just keep making/buying higher quality level versions of it. Of course the soldier guide is a bit outdated now so take that with a grain of salt.

edit: heh for some reason I read 16 as 26. There really isn't much for a Soldier to use before level 25. Mostly just junk mission rewards or the odd assault rifle or whatever in a basic shop.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 15, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Implants, buffs and perks mostly. Ql50 Blaster and its requirements.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

If you want implants between ql30 and ql50 you'll have to make your own though. I don't really know why FunCom thought that was a good idea.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Cynic Jester posted:

Just started an enforcer earlier this week after browsing this thread and hit 32 today, been playing with a friend who is running a fixer. Anyone know where I can find a decent weapon that can keep me afloat until I can head to ToTW and grab the scythe? I've been using some store bought crap, but it seems everything either has no specials, not even brawl, or horrendous minimum damage.

There really isn't anything until you start hitting up ToTW. I guess there's some 2he alien drop you can get, and you can use Silken Legchopper Gloves to do some twinking but good luck getting that on.

quote:

Are Concrete Cushions and their stat-boosting ilk still the best way to make money as a lowbie, through blitzing?

Pretty much the only way to make money as a lowbie. Second Hand Old English Trading Co. pistols are also an okay source of income. Neither of them sell well consistently though. One day I sold all the cushions and pistols I blitzed and made nearly a million creds (cushions seem to go for ~200k a set, pistols ~100k and less a set), and then for weeks I spent hours spamming trade and couldn't sell a single one. FunCom really should put in some better methods of making money at lower levels than essentially level locking yourself for however long it takes to get a couple million credits or whatever you need.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 21, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ranged energy has some decent options usually mixed in with other skills, but melee energy is just rubbish.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I know they've been talking about it for ages, and what I've heard on HC (this is RK1) is anyone who tries and "break out" to do anything in Pande without HC's approval will get banned.

That, and yeah the Tara thing is loving stupid. The RL will go on and on about who one bot has nothing to do with the other, but then they'll loving delay Tara while defending some loving org's 200 fields, or delay starting a Pande raid because Clanners keep playing hide and go gently caress yourself with towers.

Overall, like I said, I hate not having a chance to get jack and poo poo for my fixer because all the endgame poo poo is brooded over by a bunch of loving sycophantic weasels.

I'm lost. What's this about raidbots and delayed raids?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Do bots get better at holding aggro further down the road? I never did get an Engineer off newbie island because the drat bot couldn't hold aggro worth a poo poo and sometimes would go over to attack an enemy and then just stand there for a good three seconds before attacking.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Acidian posted:

It was norways national holiday this weekend so didn't get to play as much as I wanted. Will join roflbot when I get home. I like playing my agent so far, but I do have some issues with IP distribution. Apparently I should be maxing my nano stats, evade stats, my nano ini and ranged ini, most of my primary skills, rifle/AS skills and conceal/perception (?) skills. However, I don't have enough IP for this now, and I bet it will only get worse. So far I am cutting back on my initiative skills, strength, sense and break and entry. Also a nano skill or two that I can't max, but not sure what I should make without nano wise so I kinda max them depending on what nano's I buy. I guess it could be my fault for picking solitus?

It's not really because you picked Solitus as your breed since that only affects the IP cost to raise base abilities. It's that Agents are just tighter on IP at lower levels than a profession like Martial Artist. You eventually should be maxing out your nanoskills for False Profession, but if you focus on maxing BM/PM/SI early for False Profession and some buffs while raising MM/TS as necessary you should do fine. I don't think NanoC Init is that important for an Agent, but Ranged Init, Evade Close and Dodge Ranged are all pretty important. The rest of it is kind of up to your choice of weapon progression and if you want to be involved with AO's terrible PvP.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

It appears that we might also finally get to reset any IP put into Map Navigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Nova Bizzare posted:

For some reason roflbot won't invite me. It says that it does, but I don't get the invite. Since I am not sure what else I should be doing/what weapon I should try and get now I am just running missions for money to buy cool clothes on my 15 Solitus Soldier.

Roflbot seems to do this to me a lot. I usually just try again every fifteen or twenty minutes until whatever isn't working sorts itself out.

• Locked thread