Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Anarchy Online was my first MMORPG. I preordered it and hopped on day-of-release, only to be unable to create a character for two days because the login was being pounded. Hmmm, gee, maybe we should muscle up the login servers the first few weeks? Nah, It'll be fine.

The bugs were every bit as bad as you've heard. The server was crashy. The client was crashy. The graphics were glitchy, and it chugged if more than a dozen actors were onscreen. Items would stop working at random, and often become un-removable as well. Orgs had no functionality whatsoever... including the 'leave org' command.

In true Sirius Cybernetics Funcom fashion, underneath the layer of bugs was bad design. Classes were unbalanced, skills were unbalanced, items were unbalanced. Insane exploits that let players level every 10 minutes went unchecked for months... which may have been a good thing, since AO was very, very grindy, with a death penalty that could wipe out hours of XP gain.

Tradeskills in particular were hosed six ways to Sunday. First, the requisite recipe was missing from the stores about half the time. Then, once you bought the recipe, the kit, and tracked down half a dozen reet anuses, it often failed to work. Finally, if it did work, you wound up with an item that you could have bought in the stores anyway.

I struggled with it for six months before giving up. The most fun I had was looking through the forums and finding this. (mildly NSFW)

Last week I had a case of nostalgia, so I downloaded AO and made a froob. The graphics had not been changed in the slightest; what was pretty good in 2001 is downright embarrassing now. Even my usual game, City of Heroes, has graphics a trillion times better than this despite coming out only three years later. I wrestled with the uncooperative camera and lovely UI for a few hours of shooting reets on the beach before uninstalling.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Conquistador posted:

Funcom Offices Raided, Delisted From Oslo Stock Exchange
Comment Now Follow Comments
Officers from Norway’s economic crime unit Økokrim raided the offices of The Secret World developer Funcom today as part of an investigation into allegations of shady bookkeeping.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/29/funcom-offices-raided-delisted-from-oslo-stock-exchange/

Dear God, it's Whamadoodles in real life...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Orange Sunshine posted:

I played Anarchy Online when it first came out. I remember:

In the beginning, the game was (as has no doubt been told here before) released in an almost completely unplayable state, and the level of animosity which ended up forming from the players against the developers was extreme. If I recall correctly, they ended up entirely wiping the game forums at one point because the messages were so hostile towards funcom.

I played it at launch as well... it was a massive clusterfuck of bugs and missing features, and underneath it was a morass of sloppy game design. One exploit I remember well, is that right outside (I think) Borealis was robot the size of a city block called a Juggernaut. It was aligned to Omni and wouldn't attack unless provoked. It had a zillion hitpoints, hit for a zillion damage, and really wasn't intended to be attacked.

But, soldiers had a nano that reflected up to 30% damage for a short time. They would buff up, attack the juggernaut, then get hit for a huge amount and die but deal a lot back at the same time. The creature was right next to a rez terminal, so groups of people would zerg it over an over until it died, earning enough for a level each time. It respawned in 15 minutes, so people camped there nonstop and levelled to 150 or so. IIRC, this went unchecked for months if not years.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

a dude" posted:

To be fair AO has like, a shittrillion weapons

Nakar posted:

The thing I remember most about the launch of the game was that there were dozens of different brands of weapons and all of them except one tended to be bad. Pretty much no melee weapons were worth anything except the Atrox-only girders, there was exactly one assault rifle of any use whatsoever, and they had to eventually add a special line of Adventurer-only pistols and swords to the game because Adventurers did not have a single usable weapon at all. Life was considerably easier for people who relied on nanos instead, and I think Agent weapons were okay. SMGs I can't recall, I think Full Auto helped?

I ran an adventurer; first I used those fire pistols, but swapped to one-handed because ammo was a pain. There were over a dozen types of 1h, but they all sucked compared to the Merchant Executioner.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kalman posted:

QL10 Yalms being the best of all possible flying cars was great, shut up.

I found three Yalms in mission chests the first few months.

Sold two, trading them inside sacks to get around the 'no trade' restriction.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MrBims posted:

Every time I see this on the first page with a bunch of new replies I hope it is because of an emulated server.

poo poo, I'd play an emulated server if they changed it so the XP curve isn't such a buttfuck after ~50.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Conskill posted:

The Omni backyard was awesome. You start with Holodeck Shenanigans and then quickly transition to a highrise housing area where you can grab your apartment -- at the time AO released, this emphasized two of AO's unique and strong points.

I still remember the jazzy-y music playing right after I left the holo zone. It was awesome. And free instanced player housing was a good idea, even though it was buggy and didn't have much purpose.

Of course I somehow lost the key I was given and had no way to get another, so gently caress that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Floob posted:

The story may have gone to poo poo, but there was a time when it was amazing! Some of the high ranking officers would be in game and lead a protest, or maybe some mining accident would be in the news, so people would choose sides and fight for their sides stance. So many games today are just MMO's but Anarchy Online was truely a MMORPG, and it was amazing for it.

I remember one time a member of an alliance went missing, and we spent a week solving what happened. Come to find out that the player switched to OT from clan and they turned it into this amazing event.

Even right after launch, there were GM roleplay events. You really don't see that in MMOs today.

But then again, the client would puke if more than two dozen players were clustered in one place. Sigh.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tenzarin posted:

Goodbye game you were very fun, I'm glad I quit before any nightmare farming. If they make the game into singleplayer rpg I would play it again.

If they did this AND made levelling 20x faster, yeah.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ddiddles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY_CS19Fdw

I'd play the poo poo out of some pre Notum Wars AO.

Sigh... I still remember how good the music was. One of the few good things at launch.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

van fem posted:

It was a good run, old friend. Page 3 for anyone who wants to see the writing on the wall.

It is pretty amazing that it lasted this long, especially considering the horrific launch.

Heck, if the launch had been better, I might still be playing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had a bunch of the tracks in my library for ages. Backyard Jazz and Omni 1 Inner Sanctum are two of the most evocative for me. I feel similarly attached to the music from EvE Online.

I still remember the first time I heard Backyard Jazz, it was amazing. Too bad it was the only high point whatsoever.

• Locked thread