Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot
Isn't this the game that set the train wreck standard for AoC? Why are there difficulty ratings for class types? Are the hard classes just broken with no chance of being fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot

Luminous posted:

There are technically some bugs around, but honestly, the game is pretty drat stable now. Hope that doesn't break with the new engine.

So are you really hoping that funcom, a game company that has proven they break often times as much as they fix with minor patches will be able to pull off a major one like a complete engine update without breaking poo poo? gently caress I hope they don't destroy their character database, or set fire to their hosting data center doing the engine update. Adding bugs is probably the more hopeful end of the spectrum.

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot

Naturally Selected posted:

Honestly, there's something about the way that AO gets bugged that is great. Both by the scale of the bugs (hey guys! we just patched all these old bugs! this is gonna be GREAT!!!! oh wait. noone can change zones any more. We'll fix that soon, enjoy sitting in a shop and bitching in OOC!) and by the general community reaction, which is more along the lines of "wheeeee FC does it again!" instead of the usual whine/bitchfest.

So the scale of the bugs is so huge that you can do nothing but sit back and laugh? You just whack your leg put on a hearty grin and say "Ohh FunCom you scamp! har har!" That is something you like in an MMO? I am really not seeing how that is something I could deal with. I played AoC for 3 weeks after release, I decided to dump the game because it was a giant pile of poo poo. Now here we are how many years after AO's release and they are still doing poo poo like this? I am amazed they have enough of a customer base or revolving door of investors to keep them afloat. AO:C (Anarchy Online : Crap edition) doesn't seem to be getting any better the more it gets patched, is this Stockholm syndrome at work?

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2886261&pagenumber=36#post353129409

It looks like 90% of FunCom's US support staff will be gone by Monday next week. The person quoted said that the bulk of in game help petitions came from AO so expect the in game support to drop off in quality. I really don't know how many more ways FunCom can screw the proverbial pooch on this one.

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot

RVWinkle posted:

Not really, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. You're just being a douche for the sake of being a douche. Nobody cares about your stupid internet video game vendetta. Support in AO is unpaid through the guardians program. It works pretty well and there's no reason to fire someone you don't pay.

Chances are tier 1 is unpaid, and they escalate to any one of the people in US support that are now facing a 90% change of getting laid off. Yes I am a giant douche, i am fine with admitting that but funcom has a piece of poo poo track record and now their second tier support staff is going to almost completely go away. Do you think the devs who are 8 hours off from pacific time are going to be sitting at their desk at 11pm pst to answer your support request because of some loving horrible bug?

One of three things will happen; devs will have to use their time doing stupid tier 2 tickets, devs won't give a poo poo about the customers after a few months because they have deadlines that need to be met, or the volunteers will get a much larger toolset to work with and they are going to lay people off in hopes they can get people to do their support for free and that is a loving pipe dream to get quality of service out of people like that.

Laying off the support team doesn't mean you are going to be getting better support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/10/report-microsoft-to-close-in-game-advertise-company-massive.ars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy_Online#Free_Play_program

This might be of interest to the AO fans.

• Locked thread