Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

socialsecurity posted:

How much power creep/inflation has there been since Alien Invasion came out? I had a 220 with all the raid gear at the time + several high level sets of those shadowlands implants that I have forgotten the name of and about 3-4 Billion credits(I was the first person to discover how to get the 9% Crit scopes for like a year) But if everything has been replaced by some common bullshit that drops like candy I won't bother reactivating that account. Also does everyone spend 24/7 grinding hecklers still? Because goddamn that was awful.

Haha, don't bother reactivating. AI stuff kicks rear end.

I'm almost tempted to reactivate my old fixer Danashan.

Almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vidmaster posted:

Yeah, AO really shines when you have a ton of people to screw around with. I love getting good teams together and just powering through from 1-100 over a weekend and things like that, or just the random screwing around with goons that we'd do, like when we had about 8 people all dressed up like Mr. Blake standing at RBB, or when we tried sandworm jousting at ToTW. When you can't find people to play with it's just kind of ehhhh, but hopefully the engine revamp will get a lot of people back.

Random loving about is one of the best things about AO - for no good reason I think we once crawled all the way from RBB to RGB. I also remember randomly summoning people on my engi into places that you can't get out from without a yalm :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

killstealing posted:

I would buy the gently caress out of a new AO with the same IP/implant system. Twinking was a game inside a game the likes of which I haven't found in any other game yet.

Agreed. I think pretty much all anyone wants from Funcom is AO2.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ugh, definitely getting the "resubbies" again. Why must such a great character system be owned by such a useless company?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't care much for noob island until I became an ARK and saw how people responded to it.

Glad I'm not the only one who had the experience of being an ARK. A very odd bunch of people.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hi posted:

the enforcer had a nano line called Mongo's xxx , like Mongos smash Mongos rage ets.. I forgot if it was their health buff or a taunt or what, the flavor text referred to mongo as some legendary like arena fighter or something idk but the game was made by Scandinavians and every Scandinavian player I met swore that mongo was slang for retard ... yea here it is

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=100198

Even if its not true, the idea of an eight foot tall atrox enforcer using a nano that effectively sent him into a retard rage made the game enjoyable on just a whole nother level for me

In the UK at least "mongoloid" is slang for someone suffering from Down's Syndrome.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dick Trauma posted:

The whole hidden ARK world was a strange thing. The program was corroding by the time I got involved so you were pretty much left to fend for yourself but I still enjoyed popping out of thin air to help people, especially noobs flummoxed by AO's complexity.

That was fun but I really didn't enjoy the huge number of text macros I ended up needing :ohdear:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
But there are 14 professions... :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The skill/twinking system is still unmatched for my liking. Also the music.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

KillTrash posted:

I played AO from launch and kept playing it for like 4 years straight. I quit and came back to it a few times and I collected 5 accounts with different classes at 200+ levels. This game, bugs and all, was awesome back then. This week I was talking to some of my friends that used to play and we plan on rolling fresh new characters and struggling to 220 all over again without too much outside help. That should be fun, or not. We were pretty much just waiting for that Graphical update. It's been what, 3 or 4 years since they promised that? Any chance of that getting released this year?

It's a joke on a DNFesque level. Nominally they say it should be later this year. Breath holding is inadvisable.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Don't know prices nowadays but as a newbie I just ran missions for concrete cushions for a while

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I can't believe it. I won't believe it.

Signed up regardless.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ten_twentyfour posted:

That said, if Funcom ever made AO2 I would be willing to give them $1,000 for a lifetime sub with beta access as soon as it was announced.

Yep. Yep yep yep yes please.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The Engi Pistol quest is still one of my favourites in any game :3:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fetus Tree posted:

Why? I just built one for an alt and aside from the pleasure of completing the quest and getting a new gun I don't recall it being any fun

I really enjoyed tradeskilling in AO so it was ideal.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
C'mon Funcom, all I want for Christmas is AO2. I'd subscribe in a heartbeat :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Twinking was ridiculously addictive

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

killstealing posted:

I honestly couldn't stand the grind so I never went above 150, just twinked. Relaxing, really.

Big up the "capped at 150" crew. Just couldn't stand another 70 levels of hecks

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I wish it was easier to level just by doing random poo poo on Rubi-Ka. There's got to be a ton of places I've not been just because I was either doing hecks or clicksaving for missions in Rome.

E: May be why the Engineer pistol questline is my favourite :3:

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 16, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Also, the backyard beats the poo poo outta newb island

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Conskill posted:

The Omni backyard was awesome. You start with Holodeck Shenanigans and then quickly transition to a highrise housing area where you can grab your apartment -- at the time AO released, this emphasized two of AO's unique and strong points.

It was superb. I actually really liked the Netural backyard.

Also, gently caress everyone trying to not resubscribe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjurbQnc6A

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Floob posted:

How about when an ARK (GM) would teleport to you within a few minutes of you creating a character just to ask if you needed any help? The game has a steep learning curve, but this alone made it refreshing to a new player.

I loved the Backyards!

For the most part I avoid the Shadowlands now, and never enjoyed them. Access quests and long runs across wide open land just got boring.

I was an ARK for a while, some of the ARK zone was absolutely stunning (especially the church-like place they held ARK promotion ceremonies and in-game weddings).

I also remember the RP trial.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Or roll a fixer. How I miss my fixer.

E: Holy gently caress, my last level-up was in 2009 :gonk:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Floob posted:

I completed the garden key quest for Penumbra yesterday, and I made the push to level 190. I will be 191 later today, but I have no other goals in mind immediately. Just enjoy the game and take levels as they come. I am however going to leave the Org I have been in since 2004... In the past month not a single other member has logged on, and my posts on the forum have been unanswered. Sad really, this org was a well respected one back in the day :(

GoonCorp - you know it makes sense

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
:stare: I never thought I'd see the day

I mean, the new engine looks like total poo poo. It's based on DX9 for fucks sake.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Flavor Truck posted:

It's working it works and I'm glad of it.

I left the downloader going and it didn't work :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, it's not really different at all

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I tried, I really did, but this game's just a bit impenetrable for me now :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There's surprisingly little information about online on what the gently caress/how the gently caress you should play AO, which is why I stopped playing. Game's really hard to pick up, even if you used to play the drat thing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, legitimately some of my favourite video game music ever.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Look, just listen to this and that'll be the best of the experience done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjurbQnc6A

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It'd just be nice if there was anyone at Funcom who'd played an MMO since, I dunno, everquest?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, my first temptation to resub in this thread came in 2009. Every time I have it's been for 5 minutes and then I give up.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ModeSix posted:

It's too bad really, it was actually fun at some point.

The problem is entirely Quality of Life; I could completely ignore the graphics until the end of time but the drat thing still plays like an MMO from 2001.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dick Trauma posted:

Building my solar-powered pistol and rollerrat hat were strangely enjoyable. If there had been fishing I'd probably still be playing.

I absolutely love the Engi Pistol quest, it's really satisfying.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ddiddles posted:

If there was a 10 hour video of someone running around omni putting together implants while this blares i'd watch it every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1DVvzijFE

This right here, this is the good stuff.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dick Trauma posted:

Why do I remember things like making my rollerrat helmet with fondness instead of pain? :unsmith:

It's all about the Engi pistol

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Alright alright, I've got an Engi to level 10, time to see how long my patience lasts this time. It's on a froob account though and it's a shame that SL costs so drat much per month

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Here's the YouTube channel I'm watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEkT7GsOcLU

It reminds me why I'm not playing AO but ... he's having so much fun

:3:

Cheers for the link, it's nice to watch even if it's an absolute ballache to play

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The music in this game is instant nostalgia, it's wonderful

• Locked thread