Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Naturally Selected posted:

EDIT: Also, I'll probably reactivate, see how the climate is now-how is Clan doing on RK2 (Rimor)? When I left, it was so disorganized that Tara/Towers/Station wins were a once in a million occurence. I've been playing on and off since beta. If you know them, I was one of the starting members of Leet-Bloc, LSoR, and a bunch of other Rimor Clan guilds.

Sup RK2 buddy? I was in Tribulations / Alpha Omega back in the day. When I quit Clan held Tara and pretty much every tower site on the map but that was a couple of years ago now and I remember flicking to the forums in boredom some time last year and seeing Omni were back on top, with most of my org mates banned for exploiting towers or something (this seems unlikely, but hey - it's FC!)

AO is my favourite MMO ever, it's ridiculous with tons of bugs, problems and poor design decisions (Fixer's literally had no weapons capable of doing anything in Shadowlands at launch and had to wait until they added a special gun in a few patches later to fix things, relying on pity-groups until then) but it was and is brilliant. Tweaking incredibly high level items on with implant stacking and going around tower sites loving the other sides up remains one of my favourite game experiences.

Did they ever fix the side XP exploit? I remember levelling loads of alts with that back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

ten_twentyfour posted:

Sorry to get all 'in my day' on you guys. The game is still plenty fun and I very much encourage all you newcomers to try the game out. But don't play it just to level fast, play it and enjoy it, it's one of the best MMORPGS ever created in my opinion.

EDIT: To those who are new, and to those who came in after Shadowlands, I suggest one thing to you: some time in your playing career, please just get in a Yalmaha and fly around through every zone. There is so much atmosphere to appreciate, so many little towns to see, it really is the BEST Sci-fi MMORPG there is.

This. A million times this. Even though there were some incredibly stupid things back then (remember casting a million individual buffs on yourself at the beginning of the mission and having re-buff timeouts every few floors because everything dropped off in the days before composites?) or when the Temple north of Tir was added with it's ridiculously good new loot so everyone started running around in robes.

Memorising a huge sequence of whompahs to get to whatever zone had just gone up in smoke or running Foreman's, Smugglers' or SoM. AO did a lot of stuff wrong but I think it was by far the most atmospheric and absorbing MMO in a way that the current generation really haven't hit. Shadowland's broke it a little bit but aside from the Hecklers and the stupid insane base armour values of monsters the zones were brilliant and as interesting as the early stuff.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Gearhead posted:

Were I to guess, I imagine that they aren't sure they can merge the servers without blowing the whole thing up.

It being Funcom, I'd say that it's a certainty that this would happen.

• Locked thread