Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Tyshalob posted:

I've managed to stick with an Opifex martial artist for more than five minutes (this is a serious feat). I hit level 14 screwing around in the Subway and then set 100% of my XP gained for research. Finished three (I think) level one researches down there. Managed to just barely squeeze into some ql30 implants at like level 11 or 12. Right now I can take my MA into the deeper Subway area and solo up to 3 red mobs at a time without too much trouble.

So now I'm wondering about things like armor. I've been wearing an Omni-Tek Med Suit since leaving Newbie Island except for the boots. I managed to get a pair of Boots of Infinite Speed that I've read are a rare drop. How soon should I get out of the Med Suit? I've been thinking about a full set of Carbonum armor, but I'm not sure as to what quality level is even worth bothering to try to get into. Are there any decent SEN/AGI based armors for MAs?

Med-suit is fine until like level 30, at least. Some keep them on into the 50/60 range. Then carb is probably one of the easier things to get thrown together. If you're omni, get some omnifiers as well, because that'll give the stuff a HP boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

When it actually comes to doing damage, just save that for later. I don't think my doc even used a weapon until level 140 or something. I had the stupid doc chalice from ToTW, and I could keep a team of 5 people alive through anything, so I just let them be my weapons. At high levels you'll get cool DoT nanos and you can equip a bunch of different weapon types so you can start pumping out pretty good damage.

This depends... with expansions you can still get away with it, but if you're stuck in RK, I'd advise getting something on that you can beat mobs with (CDRs are a great idea here and will last a good while) because teams aren't always that easy to find in RK, even for a doc.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

We just need to hope Pande gets instanced and that mob HP gets toned down a bit so we can run it with the 6 220 goons and all get burdens and poo poo.

If that happens I'll actually start playing again in earnest. I really despise the raidbots (on RK2 they're especially terrible and full of poo poo, also they'll postpone Beast for hours to sit in the tara box and stroke their pvp hard-ons).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

Keepers are really fantastic at low levels too, without much work you can make one that can solo hecklers afk at level 60, and their heal auras are just win buttons for lowbie teams too. I've started a couple but never gotten them over that level range, unfortunately.

This is actually the problem I had with keepers (I have a 60 ToTW smasher and 95 that I just couldn't bother with anymore) - they're just too simple. It's not even so much of a matter of being overpowered as it is a lack of buttons to push. The only time you even have to cast anything is every hour or two to rebuff.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

Having to do the shade dance to use the piercing mastery perks helps too.

I thought they fixed that now to where you only have to get behind to fire off the first perk in the chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Deacon Blues posted:

I really liked doctor until they made it so that you had to use pistols.
My main (and my only 220) is a doctor (or was, as I haven't played in over a year), and I have doctor twinks at 60 (ToTW mainly), 150 (Sector 10 and other aliens), 170 (pvp). It's my favorite class in the game by far and I have to agree with you here.

I liked the game better before LE and the research lines that pigeonholed us into pistols or MA (with MA being very weak until you can use Shen Sticks - this is literally the ONLY useful weapon for us, and unarmed MA doctors in shadowlands deal pathetic minimum damage on everything since we can't get MA crit levels)

What's even more absurd is they gave us a truly viable PVP weapon for a brief time (The Silverback) then decided to slap a Trader only tag on it despite the fact that NO other OFAB weapon has a profession requirement. For that brief moment Doctors were a threat again, but that's over now. We just sit there and heal until a stun lands or enough people beat on us that we die. There's no offense at all, really, and with zero passive defense we collapse the second a stun hits us.

PVM wise I never minded that it took a long time to solo or farm - it's not a bad cost to pay to be able to solo things like Lord of the Void that few other classes could hope to stand against alone. I could kill one in 11 minutes with all my damage gear (full CC, Dchest, arul+DB bracer, combat neck, etc.) but obviously I am using the same pistols as everyone else now, when we used to have a ton of cool options.

Once upon a time I used a Massive Bolt Charger and LOVED it. Kyr Machine Pistols were fun too. Neither of these are remotely viable now, unfortunately. Hell, even 1hB was viable and fun with Kyr hammers in the AI days. I used just about all of them at some point or another, and my 220 doc has very few reset points left. But those days were great.

Also, whoever mentioned this before, it's definitely true that this is not the MMO where you'll get a character to endgame in any short order. Especially not your first... although the process is MUCH faster now with the rather streamlined process the players have put together of Nasc -> Ely Hecks -> Ado Hecks -> Pen/Inferno. If you can find teams quickly and efficiently you'll get along MUCH faster these days. My first maxed character was a 200 enforcer in the old old days, before SL, and that took me 16 months. I quit for a while and came back in 2004, and from there my doctor took THREE YEARS to reach 220. On the other hand, my 218 soldier and 216 fixer took maybe 4 months each? I had a ton of money by then and was able to twink them every 20 levels or so.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 9, 2011

• Locked thread