Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I missed this game. Re-subbed my main account but the problem is that my decent characters are all on RK2. How long would it take to get a Fixer up to speed? I remember grinding a ton with him just to get him to level 101 and get those drat personal/team grid hacks to fulfill my little cyberpunk fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

That's amazing. I'm glad to see people start to use the OGRE engine.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
hi
hi
hi
warngle 131 plzzz
fgrid????
ic???

God, as dumb as just sitting in Borealis was, I still miss it from time to time. Is it still 140 levels of hecklers these days or is the grind to 200 any better?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

Spending a couple billion on a new subway alt.

:shepface:
Can I still sell concrete pillows for 400k a pair after spending 45 minutes just rolling missions with an external tool? :shepface:

Stay classy, AO.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fewd posted:

Swimming isn't useless, you take that back

Swimming is a skill nobody knows they have until you fall into water for the first time and start swimming at a speed of approximately 0.

God I miss this game.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Revener posted:

Online: 254

:negative:

wrap it up rubikailures :(

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Should I log in to see if they finally fixed NTs? :smith:

They're completely* fixed**!

* if your idea of everything you want to do is kite hecklers
** no seriously i hope you like doing the heckler work while everyone else sits down

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aberroyc posted:

Working as intended.

The Funcom motto for AO.

My favorite "working as intended" are the chests in The Crypt of Home, wherein no matter what they won't open and the original dude who designed the place no longer works for them and apparently it's such a mess of spaghetti code that they don't know how it's supposed to work, nor will they reveal the conditions on which it's supposed to open.

That was a few years ago, though. Maybe it's solved by now?

fake edit:
woah looked it up and it finally did get answered

Colin Cragg, ex-game director posted:

Is CoH chest openable?

Not right now...but for the future...who knows. At this point when it DOES open it should be something pretty special

Only took 6 years to get a response that something wasn't implemented. Funcom! :allears:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Pshaw. Hydro vehicle all the way.

Until you fall into water in a mission and we all wait the 5 minutes it takes you to swim the 5 feet to the ramp out!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Internetjack posted:

I'm a week in now and enjoying it. I'd recommend it to any experienced mmog player that wants to play around with character building and do some casual exploring. Reading a gamefaqs newbie guide and chatting with a seasoned player that was offering help has covered a lot of the basics for me. I've got my characters going through cycles now of: missions for new armor and weapons and grab a few levels, upgrade nanos and grab a few levels, upgrade implants and grab a few levels; and repeat.

The dungeon experience is fine but limited, and will grow repetitive for taking alts through. Did subways for a bit, and started hitting ToTW two nights ago. On the second time through ToTW I think I've seen 90% of the dungeon and have a good chunk of it memorized. I've been invited to small pickup groups most times I've been in the dungeons, so I don't feel like I'm missing content due to lack of necessary players to group with.

Its still good for exploring through the first time as everything is new and fresh. I've only run into decent players, in public hangouts like Rome Blue and Borealis, and in the dungeon runs, so thats nice. Not tons of people, but certainly not void of folks either. Places to hang if you want to play socially, and plenty of corners to run off to if you want to explore and do your own thing.

We'll see how it goes. Just got my main adventurer to 40 last night and have a few alts at the 10-15 range. I can definitely see myself playing a good 10-20 hours a week for the next month. I game more in the winter and little in the summer; so its a good, free game to tide me over til spring time fully sets in.

Welcome to the honeymoon phase! Your next stop is level 61 where all the content stops. Well, technically there's still content, just no people doing it. Occasionally you'll catch some people doing the mission train to I think 70ish when you can start grouping with people for cyborg camping.

It's weird because Subway and TOTW are so polished compared to the rest of the game.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

Don't know prices nowadays but as a newbie I just ran missions for concrete cushions for a while

This is fine if you know what you're doing and you've got clicksaver and know which QL you're after. To an actual newbie trying to play AO like a regular MMO with regular crafting and tradeskills? Poor bastards will never know what hit them.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Account hasn't been active for years buuut:

quote:

Success
Upgrade Account
Subscription upgraded

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's mostly a bunch of small visual upgrades? I can only hope they've switched to a new renderer because I remember this game running like garbage even on newer hardware.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

They're going to a version of the engine they are using for Age of Conan/The Secret World - not something based on the old engine.

I think that's something we've always wished for but doesn't ever really seem to be true? The dev logs call the AO engine Cheetah and the Conan engine was DreamWorld

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got an email saying if I bought 6 months I'd get bet access in January or if I bought a whole year I'd get across right away.

Who is running this terrible circus? Did they hire some people from EA?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

You'd also get 60 days free and 12 hours of +50% exp! What a deal!

It's been a while since I played but I think 12 hours of 50% exp would power you directly through subway and totw, ensuring your grind begins riiiiight at that 60-200 hecklers hecklers and oh boy more hecklers point.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nosthula posted:

If you know how to power level properly you can level non froobs from 1 to 60 in under 2 hours. You can do a froob from 1 to 60 in about 3 and a half hours. This is without EXP boosts. Most of the time is spent moving characters around. Image below is me powerleveling 3 froobs to 60 in 3 hours 21 minutes and 54 seconds. To do it properly you need a series of twinked NT's and a high level enforcer to mongo everything while you AOE things down. Similar to kite hill tactics. None of my accounts are active but the first NT that is used is either level 4 or level 5 and and can powerlevel to about 15-20 range in 15 minutes.

But the setup for this would take a while so you'd have to meta-twink before you actually twink and oh god it's all come full circle and you're holding a pillow filled with concrete in one hand and your credit card in the other.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The forums were always the best source of info from what I remember. I also remember in my youth being excited about building a secondary lovely computer to browse them while that godawful mission roller ran its course.

This loving game.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

UUUUUUUGHHHH that quest

AO in a nutshell. Reinstalled and will be giving the game another shot for nostalgia sake tonight. In as ahmeni but I have no idea what happened to my chars after the server merge.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh god I have no idea what any of my shadowlands and AI stuff does but my 130 fixer is back. It appears my nice trader and doctor are on another account though, which is kind of disappointing.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've forgotten how truly bizarre this game is with its UI barren of info and the web void of any info. All the doctor guides I seem to find are a mishmash of endgame and generic info about pistols and brawling. I'd forgotten how much of this games charm was simply "here's some nanos, everything else is your call. You want to be a doctor who punches people in the face? Go for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

The people who defend the completely impenetrable gearing system in this broken, gay game have battered wife syndrome.

of course but we wouldn't have it any other way

• Locked thread