Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Are there still goons playing this game? Got an email from them and decided on a lark to see if my characters were still there.

Sure enough, my 136 opifex fixer was just where I left him, still wearing a set of Jobe armor (which I can't take off because without SL I can't put it back on) and some SMG I accidentally unequipped before realizing I don't have the buffs to put it back on!

Can't believe this goofy game is still around, much less that the character I rolled in 2000, right after AO's beta, is still there!

How do I get this guy to 200? Anyone still around to play with or is it a solo-venture only? I've seen a couple of multiboxxers in Omni-1, but no one who talks back, yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

please knock Mom! posted:

You need an org really, but there's other non boxers playing

I take it there isn't a goon-presence in game any more? Any one know the politics of Rubi-Ka these days? What's a good group to join? My characters are all Omni if that matters.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gearhead posted:

Why does this ancient game fill me with a terrible feeling of nostalgia?

Trying very hard to resist the urge to sub up and resume my vain attempts to nuke all the things...

It's F2P these days and there was way more nostalgia for me in Omni-1, haven't even got around to paying to go back to SL. It did remind me how hard it was (and still is) to solo this game: I'm afraid my 2001-era fixer will never make it to 200. :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gearhead posted:

Froobs still don't get access to anything past Notum Wars though, right?

I think so, looks like the original map with the NW content (a lot of the areas are empty), plus an added area which offers better xp that I don't remember being in the original. I'm pretty sure SL and everything else is paywalled. My dude still had his shadowlands armor on, but taking it off means I'd have to sub to reequip it. Not sure if I even get the benefits without the expansion active. :shrug:

All of my stuff was still there, probably could've found my old apartment with all of my old stuff, but I was lazy and just respawned it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gearhead posted:

Yeah, I actually really liked SL and poo poo like that.

I can, at least say I have spent money on worse things than ancient MMO subs.

Oh yeah, it's what? $12? You've spent more on lovely lunches.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blackdog420 posted:

hi i just installed this computer virus, what is considered a good starter class and can gently caress things up

thanks

With the caveat that it's been 15+ years since I rolled a new character, I remember Adventurer, Soldier, and Enforcer being the easiest to solo and the better damage dealers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uPen posted:

I've always like fixer but that's mostly because they run fast.

My fixer is ~130 and I'm pretty sure he will never hit 200. I can get anywhere in Rubi-Ka within 5 minutes, though. Yay fixed grid! :woop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fewd posted:

While I seriously doubt there is any risk from FC direction when it comes to RMT, you can buy a shitton on credits "legit" too. Those 30 day subscription time cards, GRACEs, they're apprently selling for 9 billion+. Even the scammers on market terminal have buy orders at nearly 8 billion.

As an old AO player I find this inflation kinda hilarious. I remember when buying a piece of nadir steel ribbed from a shopping channel auction for 100k meant you were pretty well off :kiddo:

But yeah. Just sold more albtraum trash for two billion, I don't even know what to buy at this point any more.

As someone who still has a launch-Fixer at level 130ish with a million bucks in the wallet, this post seems like high fantasy.

Jumping on the nostalgia :bandwagon: though: tried fighting a few MOBs north of 20K in the CAV, but oh man did I forget how bad the xp grind was back in the early days. And I remember this was a game known for "fast leveling" compared to other contemporaries like EQ or AC. Also, the weapons/armor I can afford now do not work against green MOBs.

The thing that really sticks out is the music: walking around 20K or Omni-1 feels super familiar, but distanced by memory, like visiting an old house or former school.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Shredder posted:

wtb grid armor

Probably easier to buy the items you need to make it? Or just kill a million mobs until one drops the macguffin you need?

Also, someone give me GAmk2... :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I like walking around and taking in the sights and sounds, but lort the Rubi-Ka grind is somehow worse than I remember and leveling is sooooo sloooooow compared to modern games.

• Locked thread