Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Noctone posted:

You've pretty much covered all available options, unless you want to hold out for the Nokia N97. I've heard a ton of complaints about the Storm, but otherwise your options are all good and it mostly depends on which one you like best.

I wanted to wait for the N97, but its not coming until at least May/June. The iPhone seems like the logical choice in this situation, but it pisses me off so much that the UI is so locked down. Simply changing the colors of certain things could make it so much better. Being forced to Jailbreak and install Winterboard and kill the speed of the phone just to make a few changes is annoying. The is a screenshot of default status bar I think vs black hacked one and its like 100x better looking and its such a simple change.

I really hope apple opens up simple customizations in the future firmwares.

I was going to get the X1, but best buy still doesn't have them in stock even though they said they would be in-store for purchase on Nov. 28th. I don't really like Windows Mobile, but ability to customize is pretty big.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The last I heard the X1a has been pushed back to January 9th.

From what I've read, the X1a and the Fuze are essentially identical devices for the most part. Except the X1a costs about $300 more than the Fuze off-contract. Boy Genius Report has a decent comparison of the two, if you're curious.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Noctone posted:

The last I heard the X1a has been pushed back to January 9th.

From what I've read, the X1a and the Fuze are essentially identical devices for the most part. Except the X1a costs about $300 more than the Fuze off-contract. Boy Genius Report has a decent comparison of the two, if you're curious.

Essentially the same although the X1 has a larger screen with higher resolution. I used a Fuze/touch pro for about a month and just couldn't get into Windows Mobile and the touch screen, specifically in TF3D was shoddy at best.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

thebushcommander posted:

Essentially the same although the X1 has a larger screen with higher resolution. I used a Fuze/touch pro for about a month and just couldn't get into Windows Mobile and the touch screen, specifically in TF3D was shoddy at best.

Yeah I thought the Fuze was a decent device but I don't regret exchanging it for a Bold. Sounds like you want the iPhone then...or nothing.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Yeah I am probably going to pick one up tonight. Though I am seeing a lot of good things about the bold. The lack of touchscreen though isn't cool though. It seems somehow behind the times.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

thebushcommander posted:

Yeah I am probably going to pick one up tonight. Though I am seeing a lot of good things about the bold. The lack of touchscreen though isn't cool though. It seems somehow behind the times.

To be honest, I think touchscreens are entirely overrated. They're nice for web-browsing and a few other minor things here and there, but for the most part they're no more than a nicety. I find that the trackball on the Bold works pretty well for just about everything (it's basically just a slight step below a mouse, really). The dealbreaker for me is that the Bold's keyboard is absolutely in a class of its own at the top. For what it's worth, my phone usage patterns are very similar to yours and I think the Bold is by far the best phone I've ever had.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
  • Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

• Current contract status: probably expired by now

• Budget (phone/plan): Family plan

• Features I know I want:
    --1 phone that really has no spiffy features. My mom will not care/use them/know they are there. I am unsure if she cares if it's a flip or not.
    --1 phone for a 20 year old college student that will let her put her own ringtones on. My sister likes the LG Rumor. Good? Bad? Will explode?

Backstory:
My mom is wanting to upgrade the phones in her family plan (I have nothing to do with it) and I just wanted some general advice on what phones to pick. They are coming from 2 Sanyo 4950's (mom and her boyfriend) and a Sanyo flip thing (sister) that looked like it was a toy. Seriously, it looks like a WalMart toy that was given to a dog to chew on for a bit (that part is true). My mom will probably extend her contract and most definitely will not change providers again. I've been out of the CDMA phone loop for a while so I'm not sure which direction to steer her in. If anyone can give me a couple of tips, I'd be grateful.

topenga fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 15, 2008

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

I wanted to wait for the N97, but its not coming until at least May/June. The iPhone seems like the logical choice in this situation, but it pisses me off so much that the UI is so locked down. Simply changing the colors of certain things could make it so much better. Being forced to Jailbreak and install Winterboard and kill the speed of the phone just to make a few changes is annoying. The is a screenshot of default status bar I think vs black hacked one and its like 100x better looking and its such a simple change.

I really hope apple opens up simple customizations in the future firmwares.

I was going to get the X1, but best buy still doesn't have them in stock even though they said they would be in-store for purchase on Nov. 28th. I don't really like Windows Mobile, but ability to customize is pretty big.

If the lack of Open-ness about the iPhone is holding you back, have you considered the G1 on T-Mo?

It's my 2nd favorite phone I've used (other than the fruitphone) and has a lot of customization available.

Web browsing is also pretty great via the touchscreen and trackball (I actually prefer the feel and control of it to any of the BB trackball controls)

The keyboard is, admittedly, one step back from what you'd get from the iPhone or Bold.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
  • Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

• Current contract status: On a family plan that was recently renewed

• Budget (phone): $100 or less

• Features I know I want: Above all: Good sound quality/microphone (see below). Ease of texting are most important. I have a media plan that allows 1MB of use/mo. so internet/email usage isn't huge but when I do I want a screen big and bright enough to see and read what I'm looking at. I'm not a fan of flip phones.
On Saturday myself and the family went out for new phones, and I picked up a Samsung SGH-A737 because I did little to no research before going to the store and I figured if it was good enough for my sister (who picked up the same thing) it was good enough to me. Moving on over the past few days every convo I've had have been constantly interrupted by "What?" or "Huh?" and sound was garbled on my end too. I find it hard to text on this phone, too. It's a slider and the keypad is of such a size and shape that it's hard to use any of the keys on the right side while typing one handed (and to a lesser extent, the keys are flush to the surface, which is a minor inconvenience).

I have ZERO patience with poor sound quality while using a phone. I could be having the best of days and it could be ruined by someone shouting WHAT?! in my ear or me having to ask someone to repeat themselves over and over. Likewise, I get a LOT of use out of my phone by texting so it's important for my phone to have a keypad or keyboard that is not difficult to use.

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
O2 UK users:

I'm hopefully getting an N82 (I wanted an N85, but the N82 is that much cheaper, and does what I want minus the pretty menus from fp2, so what can you do?) for Christmas, sim-free.

I've been with O2 for around 8 years on PAYG (My sim is so old it still has the "Genie" branding on it!), and as a network, I'm pretty happy with them, I've settled on the Simplicty 20 contract (600 mins/1000 texts, which is more than adequate for me, I also can't get tied into a contract, as I may not be going to Japan for a year in the next 10 months), and will be using the free web bolt on.

My questions are thus:

1. What's the excessive usage policy like in real terms? I can only really see myself checking email via IMAP a couple of times a day (set up in the s60 native app, rather than the gmail interface), bit of google maps, occasional rss feed checking (google reader mobile), light web browsing.

Is this likely to get me in any bother?

There is the possibility I would occasionally use IM on it, maybe stream some videos from youtube etc, stream some online radio/last.fm type stuff.

I did wonder about connecting it to my netbook as a modem (with that Joikuspot thing), but I don't ever envisage a situation where I'd be that depserate for "full" net access.

I figured I'd leave the "heavy" connection stuff for home (downloading podcasts), which would help.

2. Is the wi-fi bolt on worth getting? There's quite a few of the O2 wi-fi (and non-O2 as well) places where I live, but I've always been able to connect to them for free when using my netbook (which is with me more often than not), I assume I would be able to do the same with my phone? I also don't really go many places apart from home, uni, or my boyfriend's place, and I've always got "proper" net connections there.

I'm starting to think the wi-fi addition probably isn't worth it, but wanted some user comparisions first.

Basically, as someone who is so used to PAYG (and stretching out that last 50p of credit...), I would like to avoid the possibility of going over the £20/£27.50 a month I'll be paying upfront.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

topenga posted:

• Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

• Current contract status: probably expired by now

• Budget (phone/plan): Family plan

• Features I know I want:
    --1 phone that really has no spiffy features. My mom will not care/use them/know they are there. I am unsure if she cares if it's a flip or not.
    --1 phone for a 20 year old college student that will let her put her own ringtones on. My sister likes the LG Rumor. Good? Bad? Will explode?

Backstory:
My mom is wanting to upgrade the phones in her family plan (I have nothing to do with it) and I just wanted some general advice on what phones to pick. They are coming from 2 Sanyo 4950's (mom and her boyfriend) and a Sanyo flip thing (sister) that looked like it was a toy. Seriously, it looks like a WalMart toy that was given to a dog to chew on for a bit (that part is true). My mom will probably extend her contract and most definitely will not change providers again. I've been out of the CDMA phone loop for a while so I'm not sure which direction to steer her in. If anyone can give me a couple of tips, I'd be grateful.

The Rumor sucks hard, get the Samsung Rant instead, it's 3G and better hardware all around and only $50.

Low-end Samsungs (520, 320, or 300) or the Katana will work fine for your mom. Samsungs have a nice big dialing font if she wears glasses.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

The Rumor sucks hard,

What are you basing this upon? I've recommended this phone to several casual phone users on Sprint who just want QWERTY txt and they've been really satisfied with it.

The user reviews i've read online have also been strongly positive for a simple txting dumbphone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

The Rumor sucks hard, get the Samsung Rant
Seriously, who comes up with these phone names? I guess it's better than going by model number (especially Samsung model numbers), but Rant? Really?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

The Rumor sucks hard, get the Samsung Rant instead, it's 3G and better hardware all around and only $50.

Low-end Samsungs (520, 320, or 300) or the Katana will work fine for your mom. Samsungs have a nice big dialing font if she wears glasses.

Nice, thanks! I will pass along the info.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

What are you basing this upon? I've recommended this phone to several casual phone users on Sprint who just want QWERTY txt and they've been really satisfied with it.

The user reviews i've read online have also been strongly positive for a simple txting dumbphone.

For only $50, you can get a 3G Rant over a 2G Rumor. Samsung phones are made better than the crap LG has been putting out recently. The keyboard and screen are larger on the Rant and it's rated for a full hour more talk time, has a MicroSDHC slot, and a 2MP camera (vs 1.3MP).

There was this gem, although it's old news now:
http://www.phonenews.com/not-a-rumor-the-lg-rumor-has-issues-2505/

I believe the Rumor has a problem with the ribbon that connects the face to the keyboard shorting out over time, but that could be a different phone I'm thinking of. That's a Chappy question, but I remember him saying something about that opr at least that the Rant is a better phone all around since he sees them come through for repairs.

Just some website's arbitrary opinion of the Rumor and Rant:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/lg-rumor/8559.html
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/samsung-rant/9876.html

Basically, it's all stuff that a lot of users will notice. While the Rumor won't kill your puppy, most people buy a phone to last 2 years and Samsung builds a better phone.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So, I've got an old E60 that I'm thinking about activating on Fido (Canada). Can I use the $7 unlimited browsing plan with it, or will they rape me in the rear end with data charges because it's not on their list of approved phones?

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Area: Sacramento, California

Plan: None

Phone: None

Needs: Phone, SMS, Maybe a camera

My wife needs real basic phone service, and I'm thinking pre-paid is going to be the way to go here. My question, who has the best value pre-paid plan, and who has the best value on a pre-paid phone?

Thanks.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

While the Rumor won't kill your puppy
This is still up for debate.

Sprint sells enough good QWERTY phones that it bugs me pretty severely when people think the Rumor is an actual choice.

adorecm
Aug 15, 2001
Country/Provider: Los Angeles, CA

Current contract status: AT&T Business; 2yr expired

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap As Possible

Features I know I want:
I want a phone+plan that will allow me to do a FEW things: call people, check my email (gmail+webmail), reading the news, and occasional texting. That's it. Period.

I'm really learning towards a BlackBerry because I'm not too hot on the iPhone's text interface (my fingers are just huge or something, and it's amazing hard text screen with precision). But with a BlackBerry I don't want enterprise email service and additional features, I just need the ability to access my gmail account via a web interface or to use gmail's free imap service.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

adorecm posted:

Country/Provider: Los Angeles, CA

Current contract status: AT&T Business; 2yr expired

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap As Possible

Features I know I want:
I want a phone+plan that will allow me to do a FEW things: call people, check my email (gmail+webmail), reading the news, and occasional texting. That's it. Period.

I'm really learning towards a BlackBerry because I'm not too hot on the iPhone's text interface (my fingers are just huge or something, and it's amazing hard text screen with precision). But with a BlackBerry I don't want enterprise email service and additional features, I just need the ability to access my gmail account via a web interface or to use gmail's free imap service.

For cheap as possible, you should really look at a lot of other smartphones that can be activated on AT&T. Both the iPhone and a BB require a $30/mo PDA data plan. Others allow for the cheaper MediaNET data plan.

That being said--you might reconsider the iPhone keyboard thing (practice on a friend's iphone/ ipod touch?) as my old man has fat-as-poo poo sausage fingers, and prefers the fruitphone's keyboard to the blackberry he carried for years. It takes about a week to get used to it.

It does take some time to be familiar with and the blah blah blah re: trusting the autocorrect is no joke: You can type very quickly on the fruitphone, even with hammy mitts.

Hope this helps.

ConnStalker
Mar 2, 2008

No matter how paranoid you are, it's not paranoid enough.
Help!

Verizon Wireless is the ONLY carrier that can give me reception in the deep dark woods where I live.

I need a new smartphone.

Currently it's beteween the HTC Touch Pro, Samsung Omnia, Samsung Saga and the Blackberry Storm, or waiting forever to see if the HTC HD comes out *and* has a real keyboard, which isn't likely.

They all have problems though. The HTC is horribly crippled by Verizon, the Omnia doesn't have a full QWERTY keyboard, the Saga has a really small screen and the Storm apparently is also crap.

I just want the most amount of phone I can get right now. I'm constantly texting/replying to emails, so the keyboard is a *huge* issue. I'd be relatively sold on the Omnia if it had the physical keyboard. I've been reading reviews all week and I just need SA to decide for me. What is the overall best Verizon smartphone right now?

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
What's an easy-to-use, reliable phone on the Verizon network?

My mother has a VX8300 and is looking for a new phone since she's due for the credit and doesn't like the phone much.

Basically I'm looking for something with:
- Good battery life
- As few extraneous features as possible
- Reliable
- Easy to use

Any suggestions?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

The Jizzer posted:

What's an easy-to-use, reliable phone on the Verizon network?

My mother has a VX8300 and is looking for a new phone since she's due for the credit and doesn't like the phone much.

Basically I'm looking for something with:
- Good battery life
- As few extraneous features as possible
- Reliable
- Easy to use

Any suggestions?

Low-end Samsungs are a pretty safe bet in the CDMA world. Look at the u550.

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

fewafaewdfew

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 18, 2019

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kalibar posted:

Not to nit-pick, but were you actually using anywhere near 128MB RAM? My 800w has 128MB as well, and it is plenty, especially after coming from a 64MB device. I leave piles of third-party today screen plugins running, the SMS client, a web browser, a file manager, pocket Outlook, and basically anything else I want and I've never been able to bring the system memory to its knees.

I didnt mean to say that its little, but having 192 or 256 megs would have been nice (especially with tabbed browsers and heavy-ish today screen plugins becoming the norm).

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

ConnStalker posted:

They all have problems though. The HTC is horribly crippled by Verizon, the Omnia doesn't have a full QWERTY keyboard, the Saga has a really small screen and the Storm apparently is also crap.
If I were ever condemned to some horrible layer of hell where I had to use Verizon Wireless, HTC is the only way I'd roll. It's true that the community hacking and development progress for Verizon-colored versions of HTC's phones tend to lag a little bit behind the Sprint versions, but they do get there eventually. It's a bummer that they got a weakened hardware variant of the Touch Pro, but the keyboard is still tits-up awesome, and any lovely Verizon branding present in the firmware will be hacked off soon (if it hasn't been already).

Get Verizon's Touch Pro, or check Sprint coverage in your area (they roam off Verizon's towers, so it should be near-identical -- but you never know) and get the better, cheaper Touch Pro.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm sick to the teeth of my Sony Ericsson K850i. I only bought it for the camera and that never works properly so now I want something slim to replace it while I wait for my contract to run out with 3 (10 long more months with that company).

I just want something slim. Not too crazy about clamshells (especially not keen on Razrs - they seem to be forever breaking). It also needs to have a good web browser as I've got an unlimited data plan. Most of all it needs to be a year / two years old so it's cheap.

I was looking at the Sony W610i but then what the hell do I know? Also it's a walkman phone and I really don't need one (got an ipod innit). Camera is NOT a consideration.

Cheers

EoSSnipe
Jan 27, 2006
Country/Provider: Sacramento, CA

Current contract status: T-mobile family plan; 2 year expired

Budget (phone/plan): Less than $200

Features I know I want:

-Slim (i.e not a brick in my pocket) - By far the most important
-Strong battery life
-Something that will last me a while

Features I don't really care about:

-Internet browsing
-Email
-Music device

I've gone through 3 phones in my lifetime and all of them have been super old flip phones that were free (my current phone is the Motorola V180). Now, the V180 is a brick in my pocket and it probably came from the Jurassic period, but I love the battery life and simplicity of the thing.

So naturally, I'm looking for a newer phone. I love the iPhone, but I don't plan on switching the AT&T and paying for my own plan when I can just stay on the family plan and just have my parents pay (cheap college student here). I really was into the G1, but now I'm on the fence about it due to its size. I also like the Samsung behold and the Motorola ZN5.

I usually have my laptop and my iPod with me, so music and internet browsing aren't too important for me. However, I can definitely see the advantages to having a phone with a good browser, I just don't plan on using it often. Basically I just want a nice new phone that will last me a few years down the road.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Get an unlocked iPhone EDGE/2G, or get a locked one and unlock it yourself. It's surprisingly easy, and there's no reason to deny yourself the phone that you really want if 3G data isn't going to be a concern for you.

I used an iPhone EDGE with T-Mobile for a couple months, and other than a few weirdnesses getting it to play nicely with T-Mobile's t-zones proxy for EDGE data (which I believe have been ironed out since then, if you do care about data), it was a fairly pleasant experience. I'm personally more of a Windows Mobile human being, and that coupled with an uncontrollable 3G data lust led me to break off my poo poo-cheap ride on a T-Mobile familyplan for my own Sprint line.

Most stuff should work great though. Just do your data stuff when you're near WiFi, and get the $5.99/month data plan (assuming it still exists) if you end up deciding you need some EDGE data on that sucker.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I'm looking into getting a refurb AT+T Tilt when I renew my contract, but I'm not planning on having a data plan. How much of the phone's features are useful without the data plan? It seems like stuff like Wi-Fi would work without it, but how much of the other features would be blocked?

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I'm looking into getting a refurb AT+T Tilt when I renew my contract, but I'm not planning on having a data plan. How much of the phone's features are useful without the data plan? It seems like stuff like Wi-Fi would work without it, but how much of the other features would be blocked?

I don't think they "block" any of the features--they'll just merrily charge you ala-carte per Kb data rates when you accidentally use something that uses network data.

And the per-Kb data tends to be really loving expensive if you don't know you're using it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

I don't think they "block" any of the features--they'll just merrily charge you ala-carte per Kb data rates when you accidentally use something that uses network data.

And the per-Kb data tends to be really loving expensive if you don't know you're using it.

Here's a utility that will actually disable the non-wifi data sources so you don't accidentally use them. The rape-charge for not having a data plan is not worth risking it.

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-software/246171/new-free-utility-nodata/

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

Here's a utility that will actually disable the non-wifi data sources so you don't accidentally use them. The rape-charge for not having a data plan is not worth risking it.

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-software/246171/new-free-utility-nodata/

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Just curious of you or Kalibar's opinion: is the Tilt still "worth it" at that price point? It seems like dated gear and that there are a lot of better WinMo alternatives for not too much more.

Steinbeck fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 21, 2008

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Just curious of you or Kalibar's opinion: is the Tilt still "worth it" at that price point? It seems like dated gear and that there are a lot of better WinMo alternatives for not too much more.

Assuming you can get one at a good price, yes. It's got enough RAM, has tons of community support for custom ROMs, GPS, 3G radio, Wifi, and expandable memory. The only thing it's lacking over the Touch Pro is the VGA screen and some extra CPU power. Completely depends on how much you pay, but it's still a viable WinMo phone.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I didn't really mean "block" in terms of "being charged up the rear end for what I accidentally use", more in terms of, if I never use the 3G features/have them put a block on it/use that NoData program, how much of the phone's features am I really missing? It seems like just mobile browsing/email when there's no wi-fi available, their video service thing, and the GPS unless I buy separate software. It's hard to get a clear answer for anyone at an AT+T store without them pushing for a more expensive phone or the data plan.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I didn't really mean "block" in terms of "being charged up the rear end for what I accidentally use", more in terms of, if I never use the 3G features/have them put a block on it/use that NoData program, how much of the phone's features am I really missing? It seems like just mobile browsing/email when there's no wi-fi available, their video service thing, and the GPS unless I buy separate software. It's hard to get a clear answer for anyone at an AT+T store without them pushing for a more expensive phone or the data plan.

Only thing I can think of is that you'd be on EDGE over 3g, which is a lesser quality audio for voice calls.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Sorry for the aside here, but I figure this is the best place to ask.

I've been in the market for a Motorola Q for a while now, and I'm getting terribly confused by what I see on eBay and elsewhere online.

I've tried checking what the differences are between a Q9/Q9e/Q9H/Q9 Global, etc. etc.
Other forums are at GameFAQs levels of clarity, and if I'm going to be getting one of these phones, I don't want one that's either crippled with locked features or has a lovely firmware or something...

Can someone help please? :)

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Q (Q-anything, really) is a junk phone on Windows Mobile Standard which is a junk platform. If you like the QWERTY-bar form factor, good options do exist.

Get a Treo 800w if you're on Sprint (or wait until January for the 850w, an improvement in many but not all ways), get a Samsung Epix or Treo Pro if you're on AT&T.

Change carriers if you're on Verizon or T-Mobile.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

kalibar posted:

Q (Q-anything, really) is a junk phone on Windows Mobile Standard which is a junk platform. If you like the QWERTY-bar form factor, good options do exist.

Get a Treo 800w if you're on Sprint (or wait until January for the 850w, an improvement in many but not all ways), get a Samsung Epix or Treo Pro if you're on AT&T.

Change carriers if you're on Verizon or T-Mobile.

No need to worry about carriers there, I'm on Rogers (pay as you go, no less :v:) up here in :canada:

My main concern with any of these GSM models is if I can use the phone by popping my SIM in and also send texts and stuff. Sure, a smartphone is overkill for now as I don't need Mobile Outlook and what have you, but later maybe I'll need it. The issue now is to be able to use the device without having a 3G/data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

yes, you can pop your SIM into any unlocked GSM/UMTS smartphone. You need a phone with WiFi if you don't want to pay your carrier for data.

These are the types of stipulations that it's nice to see in your first help request so that people don't lay down a paragraph telling you to pick up U.S. carrier-locked CDMA phones. :eng101: I mean I see the Maple Leafs avatar now, but I'm no detective.

Nokia E71 is another good choice if you're not particularly attached to Windows Mobile. Small, sleek, GPS, great battery life, WiFi.

BlackBerry Bold is a good choice if you're okay branching out in that direction, but you'll be facing RIM's dogshit plan lock-in when you inevitably decide you want a real plan with a bonafide data connection. The keyboard is wonderful and the screen is best-in-class, but BlackBerry OS doesn't afford you a whole lot of customization freedom relative to WM Pro or Nokia's S60 OS (the OS you'll find on E71).

Good luck.