Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

kalibar posted:

:eng101:

Awesome, thanks for your help! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

ConnStalker posted:

Help!

Verizon Wireless is the ONLY carrier that can give me reception in the deep dark woods where I live.

I need a new smartphone.

Currently it's beteween the HTC Touch Pro, Samsung Omnia, Samsung Saga and the Blackberry Storm, or waiting forever to see if the HTC HD comes out *and* has a real keyboard, which isn't likely.

They all have problems though... What is the overall best Verizon smartphone right now?

After trying it out, I think the Storm's screen/interface is poorly designed so I am not considering it. I am personally leaning towards the Saga based on reviews and playing with a dummy model. I am just concerned about call quality.

I would also appreciate it if people were to weigh in on this question.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

After trying it out, I think the Storm's screen/interface is poorly designed so I am not considering it. I am personally leaning towards the Saga based on reviews and playing with a dummy model. I am just concerned about call quality.

I would also appreciate it if people were to weigh in on this question.

Samsung makes pretty solid CDMA phones, did you read a review where the call quality was sub-par? If you go to a store to get the phone, ask about returning it if you don't like it for any reason, they should have a 30-day policy of some sort.

You might ask in the VZW thread, someone there will know.

adamrobertt
May 13, 2006

by Ozma
Whoops, somehow missed this thread. Sorry! :downs:

Anyway, I'm looking for a new phone. I've decided that I want a slider. I've had pretty much all form factors, and I think I prefer sliders the most. My budget is under $200.

I don't really need a lot of multimedia features - I don't use the internet on my phone, I don't check my email on my phone, I don't use GPS on my phone, etc. I pretty much just make calls, send texts, and the occasional picture message.

I've been looking at the Motorola Z9. It looks pretty nice, and I've seen them for under $200 on eBay. What else is out there? I'm on ATT. Thanks

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

adamrobertt posted:

Anyway, I'm looking for a new phone. I've decided that I want a slider. I've had pretty much all form factors, and I think I prefer sliders the most. My budget is under $200.

I don't really need a lot of multimedia features - I don't use the internet on my phone, I don't check my email on my phone, I don't use GPS on my phone, etc. I pretty much just make calls, send texts, and the occasional picture message.

I've been looking at the Motorola Z9. It looks pretty nice, and I've seen them for under $200 on eBay. What else is out there? I'm on ATT. Thanks

The Sony Ericsson W760a is pretty comparable to the Z9. If you want to go even cheaper, since you don't need features, the Sony Ericsson W580i and S500i (same form factor and pretty much the same specs, just a few cosmetic differences) are nice, small sliders.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks for the Sprint phone recommendations, guys. My mom liked how big the font was on one of the Samsungs (520?) but she really liked how the Katana LX looked. So, she picked up 2 Katana LX's and the Samsung Rant (for my sister). Since I'm an evil big sister, I told my mom to put the Rant in her stocking and wrap the box containing my "blinged out" dummy Sidekick under the tree.

adamrobertt
May 13, 2006

by Ozma

Noctone posted:

The Sony Ericsson W760a is pretty comparable to the Z9. If you want to go even cheaper, since you don't need features, the Sony Ericsson W580i and S500i (same form factor and pretty much the same specs, just a few cosmetic differences) are nice, small sliders.

Hmm I'll look into them. I had a SE phone a few years ago and I really liked it.

The main things that I want in a phone are good call quality, that it looks nice, and has a relatively high resolution screen. Thanks for your input!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

adamrobertt posted:

I'd also go with the Sony Ericsson W760a. It doesn't run the poo poo that the Z9 has called P2K. It's the same stuff that the Razr has.

Toaster
Aug 13, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text) (PISS)
# Country/Provider: USA / Sprint

# Current contract status: ~2 yrs renewed - paying to cancel contract

# Budget (phone/plan): ~ $150-$200

# Features I know I want:
I currently have the Rumor and i hate it, it has started to fall apart on me in 1 month, the battery doesn't last long at all and the buttons are falling into the phone.
I like how the phone is designed and would like to have a full keyboard phone (slide or not), with a SD card insert, good camera, good service. I was thinking about getting Verizon Wireless since I've heard really good things about them in Massachusetts. Just wasn't sure and decided to ask some goons.
My mother also shares the plan with me and she's looking for a flip phone, simple interface, good camera, good battery, texting capabilities.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Contract Status: Just locked in for another 2 years - am eligible to upgrade phones

Situation:

Currently only have 200 text messages on my plan, so am upgrading to 1500 since I receive/send a lot of texts. Looking for new phones for myself and my Dad.

Smartphones are $15 a month for data and phones like Blackberry's are $30 a month , so thinking its hard to justify spending $30 a month when all we'll really do is check emails and google a lot.

Liking the look of the Blackberry Bold but the $30 a month data plan is rough, so thinking the Samsung Eternity is a better deal.

We're both Mac Users so trying to stay away from Windows Mobile or anything thats not Mac Compatible. My Dad has a palm pilot he's been using for years and has a lot of information on it, so we were originally trying to find something he could sync that too as a replacement but havent had much luck.

*Looking up reviews I'm really considering both the Samsung Epix and Eternity. Thoughts?

Grr8 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 26, 2008

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Grr8 posted:

Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Contract Status: Just locked in for another 2 years - am eligible to upgrade phones

Situation:

Currently only have 200 text messages on my plan, so am upgrading to 1500 since I receive/send a lot of texts. Looking for new phones for myself and my Dad.

Smartphones are $15 a month for data and phones like Blackberry's are $30 a month , so thinking its hard to justify spending $30 a month when all we'll really do is check emails and google a lot.

Liking the look of the Blackberry Bold but the $30 a month data plan is rough, so thinking the Samsung Eternity is a better deal.

We're both Mac Users so trying to stay away from Windows Mobile or anything thats not Mac Compatible. My Dad has a palm pilot he's been using for years and has a lot of information on it, so we were originally trying to find something he could sync that too as a replacement but havent had much luck.

*Looking up reviews I'm really considering both the Samsung Epix and Eternity. Thoughts?

The Epix also requires ATT's $30 data plan for data also. If you want a QWERTY keyboard then look at the Quickfire but I haven't heard too much about it. But aside from that, the Eternity is a good choice.

For your father, look into a Palm Treo 680 unlocked. It runs Palm OS and you wouldn't have to get a data plan for it like you would with buying a Centro from AT&T. The Treo 680 is a thinner Treo 650 without the antenna stub. A Treo 680 runs from around $100-$250 on eBay depending on condition.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Toaster posted:

I currently have the Rumor and i hate it, it has started to fall apart on me in 1 month, the battery doesn't last long at all and the buttons are falling into the phone.
I like how the phone is designed and would like to have a full keyboard phone (slide or not), with a SD card insert, good camera, good service. I was thinking about getting Verizon Wireless since I've heard really good things about them in Massachusetts. Just wasn't sure and decided to ask some goons.
My mother also shares the plan with me and she's looking for a flip phone, simple interface, good camera, good battery, texting capabilities.

If you're going for VZW, then look at the enV2. It's a good phone from what I've heard except the camera is not so great. The LG Voyager is a higher-end version of the enV2 with a 2.8'' touchscreen and a larger keyboard. If you want a smartphone, then look at the Omnia. It doesn't have a full keyboard but it comes with 8 GB of memory and a 5 MP camera.

For your mom, low-end CDMA Samsungs should do. Activate the large text font when dialing and she'll be fine.

ChuckSteak
Jul 7, 2005
It seems my lurk here is done.
* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon
* Current contract status: Contract ended. Verizon still gives me best service. Continuing on $45/mo including simple web on a RAZR. I have $50 off an upgraded Verizon phone.
* Budget (phone/plan): I almost never text. I mostly talk to Verizon users (free in-network) and use few minutes (definitely < 450 min). I want the web available for occasional email but I do not need super-fast unlimited data or expensive BlackBerry email. So, I shouldn’t need to spend much more than $40/mo total.
* Features I know I want:
--Email – Prefer GMail. I would not use it constantly, but I still want a better keypad than RAZR provides.
--MP3 player – I’ve never owned an MP3 player or an Apple product (so iTunes is a slight disadvantage). I think I’m due for a player by now.
--Good Camera – Optional, very low priority. I don’t have a camera though so it would be handy.
--Santa gave me a cool car GPS device, so I do not need GPS.
--Calendar – Prefer Google Calendar (or at least a sync with it). Also a to-do list or note taker. I need to keep my life organized when on the move.
--Video, Games, cool Apps, sizable screen, maybe a Web Browser – I think I should get an iPod Touch in addition to a Verizon phone. Is there a real alternative?

I’m thinking of buying two devices:
1) Verizon phone for talking and rare ($2/MB) email.
2) iPod Touch (or a competing device) for free/better email and web browsing at Wi-Fi spots, MP3s, video, games, apps, maybe calendar.

These phones have caught my eye:
1) LG Dare – Good keyboard, great camera, solid reviews. $80 purchase.
2) LG Voyager – Much better keyboard, mediocre camera. $50 purchase.
3) Pay-As-You-Go Verizon phone. Samsung SCH-u340, Samsung Suke, Samsung SCH-u430, LG VX5500, Verizon Wireless Blitz, Nokia 6205, MOTO W755. I talk infrequently on the phone (and mostly in-network), so this might be much less than $40/mo. I would not have a 2-year contract and could jump ship later. The phones don’t look great though.

Reviews say the Dare-Voyager comparison is mostly a matter of how much typing I plan to do.

Also, I would buy one device now and the other in 3-4 months. Which choice makes more sense:
1) Buy phone now. Later get a cheaper or newer media device.
2) Buy iPod Touch now. Keep my off-contract RAZR $45/mo. Later get a better new phone.

Thanks.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

ChuckSteak posted:

* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon
* Current contract status: Contract ended. Verizon still gives me best service. Continuing on $45/mo including simple web on a RAZR. I have $50 off an upgraded Verizon phone.
* Budget (phone/plan): I almost never text. I mostly talk to Verizon users (free in-network) and use few minutes (definitely < 450 min). I want the web available for occasional email but I do not need super-fast unlimited data or expensive BlackBerry email. So, I shouldn’t need to spend much more than $40/mo total.
* Features I know I want:
--Email – Prefer GMail. I would not use it constantly, but I still want a better keypad than RAZR provides.
--MP3 player – I’ve never owned an MP3 player or an Apple product (so iTunes is a slight disadvantage). I think I’m due for a player by now.
--Good Camera – Optional, very low priority. I don’t have a camera though so it would be handy.
--Santa gave me a cool car GPS device, so I do not need GPS.
--Calendar – Prefer Google Calendar (or at least a sync with it). Also a to-do list or note taker. I need to keep my life organized when on the move.
--Video, Games, cool Apps, sizable screen, maybe a Web Browser – I think I should get an iPod Touch in addition to a Verizon phone. Is there a real alternative?

I’m thinking of buying two devices:
1) Verizon phone for talking and rare ($2/MB) email.
2) iPod Touch (or a competing device) for free/better email and web browsing at Wi-Fi spots, MP3s, video, games, apps, maybe calendar.

These phones have caught my eye:
1) LG Dare – Good keyboard, great camera, solid reviews. $80 purchase.
2) LG Voyager – Much better keyboard, mediocre camera. $50 purchase.
3) Pay-As-You-Go Verizon phone. Samsung SCH-u340, Samsung Suke, Samsung SCH-u430, LG VX5500, Verizon Wireless Blitz, Nokia 6205, MOTO W755. I talk infrequently on the phone (and mostly in-network), so this might be much less than $40/mo. I would not have a 2-year contract and could jump ship later. The phones don’t look great though.

Reviews say the Dare-Voyager comparison is mostly a matter of how much typing I plan to do.

Also, I would buy one device now and the other in 3-4 months. Which choice makes more sense:
1) Buy phone now. Later get a cheaper or newer media device.
2) Buy iPod Touch now. Keep my off-contract RAZR $45/mo. Later get a better new phone.

Thanks.

Your whole post sounds like the phone--in all ways--is your secondary concern.

Just get the ipod touch and enjoy it--it's a really fun mobile device. I just hope you don't enjoy it so much that you feel like getting an iPhone (cause it's an obvious retardation to end up owning an iPod touch and a fruitphone)

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
  • Country/Provider: USA, Minnesota. I don't really have a preference for a provider.

• Current contract status: None. I am looking to buy my first phone ever.

• Budget (phone/plan): $100 (phone), $40. However, I don't need much in the way of features so if it can be done in less than that, great.

• Features I know I want: I don't talk much on the phone, but I do want this to be my primary line. I'm getting rid of my landline when I get a new phone. I probably do 90% of my calling after 9 PM. An evenings and weekends plan is a must. I occasionally text, so a small plan to cover that would be good. My other big concern is ringtones. I want to be able to customize my phone with my own wavs or MP3s for different callers. That's about it. If there's some customization work to be done (installing BitPim looks fairly simple from what I see on their website) then that's fine.
I read the FAQ but I know next to nothing about phones besides that, I've never purchased one before.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

* Country/Provider:United States

* Current contract status: Verizon Wireless

* Budget (phone/plan): 200. Almost Unlimited because I can still trade my current one in.

* Features I know I want: Texting, music player is iffy, and a camera would be nice.

My original phone was a Samsung Alias, and I loved it. For Christmas I got a touchscreen LG dare, and I really like it too. Maybe I'm just hitting the peak of my learning curve but the texting on it has really become an annoyance. The tactile feel is nowhere near as good as the Alias, the responsiveness is ok but I still find myself constantly backspacing because of typos and what not. This is my first touch screen phone. I'm not sure what to do, do I take the functionality in the dare (internet, big screen, great camera) or keep the practicality of the Alias (superior texting capabilities which is a large percentage of what I need)

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
# Country/Provider: USA / no preference.

# Current contract status: using a tracfone.

# Budget (phone/plan): willing to pay up to $200 for a phone, but not really more than $50 monthly.

# Features I know I want: Camera phone, texting, music, web-enabled, custom ringtones. Video is also preferable. Looking for a touch phone if at all possible.

I'm really interested in the iPhone and similar touch phones, but with the data plans they end up being over $60/mo with the cheapest plan and without texting. I have a Tracfone currently, and I can certainly live on 300-400 minutes a month, but I do a lot of texting. Unlimited would be nice, but that's usually about $20/mo and with required data plans that tend to be ~$30/mo without even a basic calling plan I'm already at my limit. I'm probably looking for too much for too little, but if anyone can tell me otherwise, I'd be thrilled. Am I really just better off getting an iPod touch and holding on to my Tracfone? I've survived very well on said Tracfone, what I'm really looking for are these features.

e: I get double minutes for life on my Tracfone and I've used about 130 minutes this month. It's 40 bucks for 200 minutes (which becomes 400 on my phone), so I think I'm best off sticking with the Tracfone and getting the iPod Touch unless you guys can think of anything better.

My Cakes are LOL fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 28, 2008

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Toaster posted:

Sprint is cheaper and their phones are better (yes, really), if you're fine with your coverage stay with them, you'll be paying Verizon more for phones that are really locked down. If your contract is over, call Sprint and tell them you want to cancel and see what kind of crazy deal they'll offer you to stay maybe get some free Internet or text thrown in.

If you like the Rumor for form factor and features, get a Samsung Rant. The Palm Centro original model is clearing out right now at $0 with a 2-year contract, tons better than your current phone and a smartphone with a really low learning curve, just has a bit of a small keyboard. The new model is only $79 with a contract.

Get your mom a low-end Samsung flip phone. Big fonts, good hardware. The M300, M220 and M320 are all solid as well as the Sanyo Katana LX.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
My trusty old Nokia 6280 is beginning to fall apart on me, so I'm in the market for one of these new smartphones I keep hearing about.

• Country/Provider: Australia/3 Mobile

• Current contract status: Out of contract, currently on a $29/month cap (+$5 data) which gets me more calls/text/data than I use. I'm happy to stay with 3, but that's not a requirement.

• Budget (phone/plan): No real budget, willing to consider all options. I want to get something that I'll be able to use for a good 2-3 years at least.

• Features I know I want: Good battery, removable storage (mini SD would let me reuse my current card, though I know micro is more common), ability to check gmail, news, etc while on the go. Would be nice to have wifi functionality so I can essentially use the net for free at hotspots and when visiting friends. Qwerty keyboard might be good, though I have fat fingers so maybe something with a stylus would be better? Or both? Something with dual-SIM would be nice as it'd let me get rid of my work phone but I know this isn't a common feature. If I end up on a plan with a free/cheap mobile broadband key thrown in then that would also be good.

Edit: I know most of you are US goons and don't follow Australian phone plans (and how they work) so feel free to ignore all that. I'm more concerned with the phone itself than the plan anyway.

jassa fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 29, 2008

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
  • Country/Provider: USA/AT&T now, considering switching
  • Contract Status: Out of contract, monthly
  • Budget: Around $85/mo, less if possible (plan), $600 or less (phone)
  • Features I Know I Want (phone): Only way I'm changing phone is if I'm changing to a CDMA carrier, if so look at the Sony K850i like I currently have and tell me what's similar.
  • Features I Know I Want (plan): Minimal minutes/SMS (used 113 and 95 respectively this month), unlimited data (used 4GB this month), tethering allowed

I'm currently on a 700 minute family plan with my mom and brother. I have 200 SMSes and unlimited data on my line as extras. No phone subsidies ever used in three years with AT&T. They have confirmed that I can transfer my line in to my name and keep my grandfathered status with the truly unlimited data plan versus the 5GB before overages plan that now exists. That plus the basic voice and SMS packages (450min, 200 messages) would be $84.97/mo plus fees/etc.

That said, most of my friends are on Verizon and the 3G data coverage is better on both Verizon and Sprint. I still find AT&Ts to be better where it exists, but I have VZ/Sprint EvDO coverage at my apartment where AT&T only serves EDGE.

I'm not a fan of CDMA networks to begin with due to the BREW platform's silly limits and general tendency of carriers to gently caress with the phone versus the openness of my unlocked unbranded GSM phone, but the coverage is better in my area and at least with Verizon my ratio of free mobile-mobile calls to paid calls would basically reverse, though how much that matters if I only use 1/4 of my minute allocation anyways is questionable.

Right now I do know that the only phone I saw in either Sprint or Verizon's stores that interested me is the same one I almost bought on AT&T, the HTC Touch Pro. I don't know if there are others I may have missed more similar to my Sony as being a feature-laden dumbphone, but as long as the Touch Pro isn't gimped too horribly it would be a possibility lacking any others.

Basically at this point a notably cheaper plan or a better phone are what it would take to convince me. Do I stick with AT&T and take their $85/month plan or is there something better out there?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

wolrah posted:

• Country/Provider: USA/AT&T now, considering switching
  • Contract Status: Out of contract, monthly
  • Budget: Around $85/mo, less if possible (plan), $600 or less (phone)
  • Features I Know I Want (phone): Only way I'm changing phone is if I'm changing to a CDMA carrier, if so look at the Sony K850i like I currently have and tell me what's similar.
  • Features I Know I Want (plan): Minimal minutes/SMS (used 113 and 95 respectively this month), unlimited data (used 4GB this month), tethering allowed

I'm currently on a 700 minute family plan with my mom and brother. I have 200 SMSes and unlimited data on my line as extras. No phone subsidies ever used in three years with AT&T. They have confirmed that I can transfer my line in to my name and keep my grandfathered status with the truly unlimited data plan versus the 5GB before overages plan that now exists. That plus the basic voice and SMS packages (450min, 200 messages) would be $84.97/mo plus fees/etc.

That said, most of my friends are on Verizon and the 3G data coverage is better on both Verizon and Sprint. I still find AT&Ts to be better where it exists, but I have VZ/Sprint EvDO coverage at my apartment where AT&T only serves EDGE.

I'm not a fan of CDMA networks to begin with due to the BREW platform's silly limits and general tendency of carriers to gently caress with the phone versus the openness of my unlocked unbranded GSM phone, but the coverage is better in my area and at least with Verizon my ratio of free mobile-mobile calls to paid calls would basically reverse, though how much that matters if I only use 1/4 of my minute allocation anyways is questionable.

Right now I do know that the only phone I saw in either Sprint or Verizon's stores that interested me is the same one I almost bought on AT&T, the HTC Touch Pro. I don't know if there are others I may have missed more similar to my Sony as being a feature-laden dumbphone, but as long as the Touch Pro isn't gimped too horribly it would be a possibility lacking any others.

Basically at this point a notably cheaper plan or a better phone are what it would take to convince me. Do I stick with AT&T and take their $85/month plan or is there something better out there?

I'd go with AT&T. The Fuze isn't terribly gimped but you can use it to its full potential by going to xda-developers and getting a ROM. I recommend the Nokia E71 if you don't want the Fuze. It has a full QWERTY keyboard. It has a very slim profile compared to the Fuze. The E71 is the thinnest smartphone on the market at 10mm thick. The E71 has AT&T 3G support and runs S60 which is a powerful platform. The E71 is the closest phone to the Bold right now which I would recommend but you have a good data plan on there currently.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

jassa posted:

My trusty old Nokia 6280 is beginning to fall apart on me, so I'm in the market for one of these new smartphones I keep hearing about.

• Country/Provider: Australia/3 Mobile

• Current contract status: Out of contract, currently on a $29/month cap (+$5 data) which gets me more calls/text/data than I use. I'm happy to stay with 3, but that's not a requirement.

• Budget (phone/plan): No real budget, willing to consider all options. I want to get something that I'll be able to use for a good 2-3 years at least.

• Features I know I want: Good battery, removable storage (mini SD would let me reuse my current card, though I know micro is more common), ability to check gmail, news, etc while on the go. Would be nice to have wifi functionality so I can essentially use the net for free at hotspots and when visiting friends. Qwerty keyboard might be good, though I have fat fingers so maybe something with a stylus would be better? Or both? Something with dual-SIM would be nice as it'd let me get rid of my work phone but I know this isn't a common feature. If I end up on a plan with a free/cheap mobile broadband key thrown in then that would also be good.

Edit: I know most of you are US goons and don't follow Australian phone plans (and how they work) so feel free to ignore all that. I'm more concerned with the phone itself than the plan anyway.

I'd look into the BlackBerry Bold or Nokia E71. These phones are the head of the bar QWERTY with no touchscreen class. They both have Wi-Fi, a QWERTY keyboard, good battery life and support for 16 GB microSD cards which is the highest capacity you can get. The Bold will probably require you to get the BIS plan which is usually more than your average dumbphone data plan. The Bold has a terrific screen which is the best out there.

If you want a touchscreen phone then go with the Touch Pro or Xperia X1. The Xperia is about $200+ more than the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro has a great support community in xda-developers who can keep devices running for a long time. The Wizard is running WM 6.1 so they can definitely extend the life of your device. The Xperia has the superior camera and screen but the keyboard is not up to par with the Touch Pro.

Here's a comparison of the E71 and Bold. - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/12/nokia-e71-vs-blackberry-bold-the-qwertys-rip-each-other-to-shreds/

Here's a comparison of the Touch Pro and Xperia X1. - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/12/11/sony-xperia-x1a-vs-att-htc-fuze-windoze-mobile-gets-exciting/

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
# Country/Provider: USA/Alltel
# Contract Status: Contract ends in 2 weeks, considering changing providers
# Budget: ~50-70 for plan, phone price not really an issue
# Features I Know I Want (phone): fit comfortably in pocket, querty keyboard, minor pda capabilities (mostly some sort of basic spreadsheet app and email checking)
# Features I Know I Want (plan): Some SMS (400-500 msgs a month), 500 mins a month is fine. Data plan - not necessarily unlimited, but unlimited would be nice. Tethering would be badass but not likely in budget.

Im looking at the 500 min Everything Plus Sprint plan with either the Rant or Centro. My main concern is that I have not been able to find specifics on the data plan. I dont believe its unlimited but have not seen hard numbers on how much can be transferred.

If anyone knows the numbers on the everything plus data plan or knows of another better plan by a different provider I would love to hear it.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Godzilla07 posted:

I'd look into the BlackBerry Bold or Nokia E71. These phones are the head of the bar QWERTY with no touchscreen class. They both have Wi-Fi, a QWERTY keyboard, good battery life and support for 16 GB microSD cards which is the highest capacity you can get. The Bold will probably require you to get the BIS plan which is usually more than your average dumbphone data plan. The Bold has a terrific screen which is the best out there.

If you want a touchscreen phone then go with the Touch Pro or Xperia X1. The Xperia is about $200+ more than the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro has a great support community in xda-developers who can keep devices running for a long time. The Wizard is running WM 6.1 so they can definitely extend the life of your device. The Xperia has the superior camera and screen but the keyboard is not up to par with the Touch Pro.

Here's a comparison of the E71 and Bold. - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/12/nokia-e71-vs-blackberry-bold-the-qwertys-rip-each-other-to-shreds/

Here's a comparison of the Touch Pro and Xperia X1. - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/12/11/sony-xperia-x1a-vs-att-htc-fuze-windoze-mobile-gets-exciting/

Thanks for the recommendations! That first comparison/review was very informative. If it weren't for the dodgy reception, I think I would have gone with the E71, though now I'm not so sure. I don't really want to have to sign up for a BIS plan or anything, and I do like putting third party apps on my phones, something I wouldn't really be able to do with a Blackberry.

That second comparison uses a HTC Fuze, not a Touch Pro. I couldn't find a Touch Pro review on that site, but I'll look into it more later today (after I sleep). :)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

jassa posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! That first comparison/review was very informative. If it weren't for the dodgy reception, I think I would have gone with the E71, though now I'm not so sure. I don't really want to have to sign up for a BIS plan or anything, and I do like putting third party apps on my phones, something I wouldn't really be able to do with a Blackberry.

That second comparison uses a HTC Fuze, not a Touch Pro. I couldn't find a Touch Pro review on that site, but I'll look into it more later today (after I sleep). :)

The Fuze is identical to the Touch Pro. It's a Touch Pro that was made for AT&T. You can put 3rd-party apps on the Bold. But there is not as many compared to every other viable smartphone platform that is on the market.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dead Man's Ham posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/Alltel
# Contract Status: Contract ends in 2 weeks, considering changing providers
# Budget: ~50-70 for plan, phone price not really an issue
# Features I Know I Want (phone): fit comfortably in pocket, querty keyboard, minor pda capabilities (mostly some sort of basic spreadsheet app and email checking)
# Features I Know I Want (plan): Some SMS (400-500 msgs a month), 500 mins a month is fine. Data plan - not necessarily unlimited, but unlimited would be nice. Tethering would be badass but not likely in budget.

Im looking at the 500 min Everything Plus Sprint plan with either the Rant or Centro. My main concern is that I have not been able to find specifics on the data plan. I dont believe its unlimited but have not seen hard numbers on how much can be transferred.

If anyone knows the numbers on the everything plus data plan or knows of another better plan by a different provider I would love to hear it.

If you can get the 'new SERO' plan then go for that. There's more info in the Sprint thread. Sprint has a 5 GB data cap but you'll barely reach 1 GB on the Centro.

I recommend the Touch Pro. It has a keyboard and a touchscreen. The learning curve is much steeper than the Centro but once WM is tweaked, it's very powerful.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

If you can get the 'new SERO' plan then go for that. There's more info in the Sprint thread. Sprint has a 5 GB data cap but you'll barely reach 1 GB on the Centro.

I recommend the Touch Pro. It has a keyboard and a touchscreen. The learning curve is much steeper than the Centro but once WM is tweaked, it's very powerful.

The cap only applies to data cards and phone-as-modem plans. You will probably not get anywhere close unless you stream music at your desk for 8 hours every day.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/22005

ChuckSteak
Jul 7, 2005
It seems my lurk here is done.

Steinbeck posted:

I just hope you don't enjoy it so much that you feel like getting an iPhone (cause it's an obvious retardation to end up owning an iPod touch and a fruitphone)
I was strongly considering the iPhone until I received the navigation device - until then, the iPhone's Google Maps, widespread internet access, and large screen were very important.

Steinbeck posted:

Just get the ipod touch and enjoy it--it's a really fun mobile device.
You're the boss. I just ordered the 2nd Generation 16GB iPod Touch. I'll keep the RAZR, and I'll be off-contract so I can grab a new phone any time I want. Thanks for the advice.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
# Country/Provider: Phoenix, AZ- Currently with T-mobile

# Current contract status: Expiring in near future

# Budget (phone/plan): I'd want to keep it to around $100 with contract for the phone, ideally $50 a month for plan, but I can go a little higher if needed

# Features I know I want: I would really like a camera and video, but that's just about standard. I have never had a phone with a web browser, but I think it'd be neat. I don't need that though. I want it to be really durable, since I drop phones with alarming frequency. The newest phone I've had was a used Razr, so I'm not up to speed on cell phone technology

As far as my plan, I don't need many minutes, but I need lots of texts- preferably unlimited.

I've been with t-mobile for a long time, but if there's another service that might suit me better, I'll consider it.

Oh yeah- battery life is a huge thing for me. I'm terrible about remembering to charge my phone every day.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 30, 2008

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Godzilla07 posted:

The Fuze is identical to the Touch Pro. It's a Touch Pro that was made for AT&T. You can put 3rd-party apps on the Bold. But there is not as many compared to every other viable smartphone platform that is on the market.

Ended up getting a Touch Pro. Thanks for the advice! :)

Jeztor
Mar 31, 2008
Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Halfway through a 2 year contract.

Budget (phone/plan): ~$250/ MyFavs Family Plan, $69.99/mo with 2 lines, and $4.99/mo for something like 400 text msgs.

Features I know I want: A phone with a full QWERTY keyboard and some nice personal organization features such as calendars w/ reminders, etc

I've had my T-Mobile service since Oct '07. So far, I'm very happy with my service. I live on Oahu and being that the island is rather small there isn't much difference in service among providers. I mostly use my phone for succinct phone calls and copious texting. I want something better than my Motorola W490 for the functionality that I want. In short, I have an iPod Touch, so I have lots of functionality that people would normally want in a phone in that device. I want to avoid most of the overlap that might come with something like a Smartphone. I ride the bus back and forth to work, and use my Touch during that time. I mostly just send texts from my phone while at work, or on the fly, but I hate having to type them out so painfully with my current phone.

Lastly, I'm hoping to find a phone with maybe slightly more than the usual software for organizing. That's just a bonus, though.

So folks, I guess the name of the game is texting texting texting and a few phone calls. Any suggestions?

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
What's the consensus on the Samsung i760? I'm going to upgrade from my i730 to either that or the XV6800/Mogul. I know they're both a bit older now but I'm not on a contract and I'm fine with a used older phone.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

b0bx13 posted:

What's the consensus on the Samsung i760? I'm going to upgrade from my i730 to either that or the XV6800/Mogul. I know they're both a bit older now but I'm not on a contract and I'm fine with a used older phone.

Here's some opinions: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-sch-i760-verizon/4505-6452_7-32177475.html?tag=mncol;lst

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

b0bx13 posted:

winmo sucks for a phone OS but the 760 is not that great. I have a 6800 for verizon if that was your carrier. I can hook you up with a decent price if you were interested but it is the only one I would consider between those two.

https://www.phonescoop.com for reviews btw.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

king of the bongo posted:

winmo sucks for a phone OS but the 760 is not that great. I have a 6800 for verizon if that was your carrier. I can hook you up with a decent price if you were interested but it is the only one I would consider between those two.

https://www.phonescoop.com for reviews btw.

I would be incredibly interested. My AIM is b0bx13 or email me at b0bx13@gmail.com

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: at the beginning of a new 2 year contract.

Budget for phone: $100 - $200

Features I know I want: camera and/or video, long battery life. Everything else doesn't matter

I need a new phone after going through 3 in about 3 months. I just renewed my contract in October. I would like to get something other than Motorola and LG. The Motorola phones I've had the batteries end up going out and everyone I know that has had a LG the power connector ends up breaking on the phone.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Getting a pair of new phones soon:

• Country/Provider: US/Alabama/Verizon
  • Current contract status: Contract ends in May, just hitting "new every two" $50 credit which will renew it as well. Am Sharing a contract with the wife, and we use the in-Network stuff to talk, but both our families are also on Verizon and thus the majority of the calls are free if we stick with Verizon. We don't text more than 15 messages a month.
  • Budget (phone/plan): $100-150 (we need to get 2 phones. We have had Samsung u740's which are nice.)
  • Features I know I want: Gmail/Google Calendar connectivity (can be via computer network/connection rather than Wireless) for me. QWERTY keyboard for both.
  • Features I know I don't need: Music (though everything will come with this), navigation.

I'm tempted to get a Blackberry (non Storm because of price/reviews I've seen here) and get her a nice phone with a flip out QWERTY keyboard.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

enigma105 posted:

Getting a pair of new phones soon:

• Country/Provider: US/Alabama/Verizon
  • Current contract status: Contract ends in May, just hitting "new every two" $50 credit which will renew it as well. Am Sharing a contract with the wife, and we use the in-Network stuff to talk, but both our families are also on Verizon and thus the majority of the calls are free if we stick with Verizon. We don't text more than 15 messages a month.
  • Budget (phone/plan): $100-150 (we need to get 2 phones. We have had Samsung u740's which are nice.)
  • Features I know I want: Gmail/Google Calendar connectivity (can be via computer network/connection rather than Wireless) for me. QWERTY keyboard for both.
  • Features I know I don't need: Music (though everything will come with this), navigation.

I'm tempted to get a Blackberry (non Storm because of price/reviews I've seen here) and get her a nice phone with a flip out QWERTY keyboard.

You may want to check out the G1's. If T-Mobile has 3G coverage in your area, you could (possibly) be saving a shitload on your monthly plan vs what Verizon charges. Especially w/ their "Fave 5" free calling feature. The G1 is also a pretty kickass handset and not terribly pricey on-contract.

sobrider
Feb 14, 2004
So my mom wants a new phone. Shes not the most techy in the world but she would like a few features

1.Speakerphone
2.Bluetooth
3.Easy to read screen.

What t-mobile or GSM unlocked phone would work well for her She prefers a flip but I could convince her to get a candy bar phone if it has everything she needs. I have her on my T-mobile non my favs plan and were out of contract and honestly I would like to stay that way. What would you all recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Steinbeck posted:

You may want to check out the G1's. If T-Mobile has 3G coverage in your area, you could (possibly) be saving a shitload on your monthly plan vs what Verizon charges. Especially w/ their "Fave 5" free calling feature. The G1 is also a pretty kickass handset and not terribly pricey on-contract.

I've wanted a G1 since it was announced, so this is a nice bonus. Running Monthly numbers I've got:

300 minutes, Unlimited Web, 400 messages for $54.98 from T-Mobile (for me) plus 450 minutes for $39.99 for the Verizon (for the wife) = $94.97 a month pre-tax.

We're currently running at around $79.99 a month for 700 minutes.

I assume the taxes and whatnot would balance out, so that's a wash. The wife needs to stay on Verizon (in her mind) because both of our families are on Verizon. She used just under 700 in-calling minutes last month, though 300 with me, but we've been separated by a new job and calling each other for 30 minutes a night. So if I went T-Mobile, she'd be one of my Favs, so I think it'd work well.