Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Looking to get either a 3 or 4 person family plan. Coming from a mix of prepaid and 2 on a business line not on contract, phones are all pretty old, iPhone Xs and 2nd gen SEs. I haven't shopped for cell phones or plans in years, so I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. I'd like to get 2 newer iPhones, and then one line would be fine with a Pixel or iPhone. Probably just looking for unlimited on all lines. What would my best choices look like at the moment between Verizon/ATT/TMobile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

imabanana posted:

Looking to get either a 3 or 4 person family plan. Coming from a mix of prepaid and 2 on a business line not on contract, phones are all pretty old, iPhone Xs and 2nd gen SEs. I haven't shopped for cell phones or plans in years, so I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. I'd like to get 2 newer iPhones, and then one line would be fine with a Pixel or iPhone. Probably just looking for unlimited on all lines. What would my best choices look like at the moment between Verizon/ATT/TMobile?

What carrier are the bus lines on and are they keeping their number or getting a new number?

As long as you do autopay with a debit card or checking account, Verizon for 4 lines is pick and choose per line at:

Note: promos are new lines, may not apply if those bus lines are on Verizon already.

$45: unlimited plus plan, unlimited priority data, 15GB mobile hotspot, $800 trade in on your phones towards any 15. You would get a $200 gift card if switching from another carrier.

$30: unlimited welcome, unlimited data, at times of network congestion you can get slowed down, no movie hotspot. iPhone 14 or pixel 7 are free.

All phone discounts are a 3 year contract.

So like, $45 * 4 = $180 at the most. If 2 people didn’t need the newest phones, you could do say, $45 + $45 + $30 + $30 = $150.

Quote is before tax and fees. Tax and fees is $6-7 a line, so add $20ish a month total.

If anyone is military, teacher, nurse or first responder you would save $20 a month (total).

Until recently I worked in the sales call center. If you want help ordering (don’t feel required on this), if you PM me I can have a co worker call you. Or just call the direct number at (800) 256-4646 . It’s Christmas, normally there are act fees but I would politely ask if they can waive them.

That’s Verizon. T-Mobile and ATT are probably similar, I’m just VZ background.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
I think I know my path forward, but wanted to solicit feedback generally and on the order of operations for the plan I'm hoping to execute. Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious or miscalculating here.

I have two lines on AT&T postpaid in the US. We're paying $100/month before taxes/fees for 4GB of data per line and both phones are fully paid off. I found this to be expensive, so have been evaluating options including MVNOs and prepaid plans. We typically don't exceed monthly data, and if we do, it's by no more than 1GB. Generally when we're using mobile data, we need it for some reason, but would not benefit from unlimited plans for the cost.

For where we live and travel, key considerations are 1) local area coverage, 2) keeping decent data priority, and 3) having some kind of international option where 1GB of international roaming (typically in tourist destinations) is $30 or less. AT&T is a known quantity and reliable, T-Mobile is not as well-covered but would likely be okay, Verizon likely fine.

It seems the AT&T 5GB prepaid plan is a good split-the-difference option. It should cut our monthly bill in half while giving more data, keep us on the known network with the same data priority we have today, and the international pass is available for when we travel.

In this process, I am looking to upgrade one of the phones to a Pixel 8 Pro. I plan to buy this outright because of a discount I can get from retail separate from the phone plans.

Because I'm on AT&T postpaid, I think I need to go into an AT&T Corporate store to migrate/port the numbers. I think what I need to do is 1) get the new phone unlocked and unactivated, 2) go into the AT&T store to start the prepaid plans and get the number migration process going with the existing phone that will move across plans and the new unactivated phone, 3) pray. This is where I'm least certain - should I start the plans sooner, or is this the right order?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Banzai 3 posted:

I think I know my path forward, but wanted to solicit feedback generally and on the order of operations for the plan I'm hoping to execute. Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious or miscalculating here.

I have two lines on AT&T postpaid in the US. We're paying $100/month before taxes/fees for 4GB of data per line and both phones are fully paid off. I found this to be expensive, so have been evaluating options including MVNOs and prepaid plans. We typically don't exceed monthly data, and if we do, it's by no more than 1GB. Generally when we're using mobile data, we need it for some reason, but would not benefit from unlimited plans for the cost.

For where we live and travel, key considerations are 1) local area coverage, 2) keeping decent data priority, and 3) having some kind of international option where 1GB of international roaming (typically in tourist destinations) is $30 or less. AT&T is a known quantity and reliable, T-Mobile is not as well-covered but would likely be okay, Verizon likely fine.

It seems the AT&T 5GB prepaid plan is a good split-the-difference option. It should cut our monthly bill in half while giving more data, keep us on the known network with the same data priority we have today, and the international pass is available for when we travel.

In this process, I am looking to upgrade one of the phones to a Pixel 8 Pro. I plan to buy this outright because of a discount I can get from retail separate from the phone plans.

Because I'm on AT&T postpaid, I think I need to go into an AT&T Corporate store to migrate/port the numbers. I think what I need to do is 1) get the new phone unlocked and unactivated, 2) go into the AT&T store to start the prepaid plans and get the number migration process going with the existing phone that will move across plans and the new unactivated phone, 3) pray. This is where I'm least certain - should I start the plans sooner, or is this the right order?

Personally, I would avoid AT&T prepaid. I briefly used them while I was navigating the shutdown of the Sprint towers following the T-Mobile/Sprint merger, since my provider at the time was Boost (which used the Sprint towers at the time). AT&T prepaid had the worst customer service of any carrier I had dealt with, and porting my number in and out was a massive pain in my rear end. I went from them to Verizon prepaid and it was a vastly better experience.

Edit: While on the phone with AT&T prepaid customer service the agent had an accent I couldn't quite place but sounded Eastern European, and clearly had no idea how US addresses worked. I have never had just giving my physical address be that difficult or oddly disconcerting.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 27, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Personally, I would avoid AT&T prepaid. I briefly used them while I was navigating the shutdown of the Sprint towers following the T-Mobile/Sprint merger, since my provider at the time was Boost (which used the Sprint towers at the time). AT&T prepaid had the worst customer service of any carrier I had dealt with, and porting my number in and out was a massive pain in my rear end. I went from them to Verizon prepaid and it was a vastly better experience.

Edit: While on the phone with AT&T prepaid customer service the agent had an accent I couldn't quite place but sounded Eastern European, and clearly had no idea how US addresses worked. I have never had just giving my physical address be that difficult or oddly disconcerting.

Great input, just for the record pretty much all call centers are outsourced now. Hell, almost all postpaid customer service is now overseas , which is extremely depressing.

Verizon prepaid is $35 a line for 15GB each (with autopay), so it def fits what OP is requesting, so your recommendation is a good one. Just giving a general disclaimer.

Overall, anyone posting here is less likely to NEED a lot of customer service since most people here are pretty tech savvy, but still good to note.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Thank you both for the perspective. I'm going to stew a bit more to figure out what actually matters most right now - cost, carrier, and customer service - as that will drive our end decision.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So my mom is looking for an unlocked phone. This would be for Spectrum in the southeast US. Any thoughts on whether Spectrum is any good would be appreciated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

So my mom is looking for an unlocked phone. This would be for Spectrum in the southeast US. Any thoughts on whether Spectrum is any good would be appreciated.

Need more details on how much phone she needs, phones range in price from $200-1000.

Spectrum piggy backs off Verizon, so call and text is fine, data she will have lower priority than other people. Some people notice the slower speeds some do not.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Duckman2008 posted:

Need more details on how much phone she needs, phones range in price from $200-1000.

Spectrum piggy backs off Verizon, so call and text is fine, data she will have lower priority than other people. Some people notice the slower speeds some do not.

She'll be using it primarily for texting and calling. Some internet use but she'll be doing most of that via her home WiFi. Lower price point is a priority for her.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My wife is thinking about replacing her Pixel 4a, what's the closest modern unlocked equivalent, i.e. similar size and good quality under $500? I assume anything today would have similar or better camera performance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

My wife is thinking about replacing her Pixel 4a, what's the closest modern unlocked equivalent, i.e. similar size and good quality under $500? I assume anything today would have similar or better camera performance.

Pixel 7a?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Howdy, following up from my previous post. Ported my 2 lines with iPhone 13's from T-mo into US Mobile a couple of days ago and was a pretty painless process considering I did so in the middle of the night on a whim (esims are still cool) and partly because they changed their plan lineups the past couple of weeks. As mentioned before, I opted into the Verizon side just to see how they built out 5G in my area and in case it wasn't worth it, I could request to have them moved to the T-Mobile side. So far I've been impressed getting better, more stable coverage on my commute. For my line I'm on a 30 day trial which includes 50GB of premium data (5GB hotspot) and unlimited talk and text and my 2nd line is on their Unlimited Starter plan for 29 bucks a month before the line discount which is 35GB premium data with 10GB hotspot also with unlimited talk and text. I'm still thinking if my line will be on the same plan after the trial or if I'll upgrade to the Unlimited Premium which has 100GB premium data with 50GB hotspot for 50 bucks. Either way I'll be spending far less than I was with T-Mobile.

The user dashboard is clear and easy to understand and quick. Something I was annoyed with T-Mobile's, both in a browser and mobile app.

Part of the plan changes they made includes having annual plans which are tempting with the deep discounts, but sort of defeats the flexibility of prepaid but I'll still think about it.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:hmmyes:

Seriously agreed - it is hard to overstate how bad Motorola is.

What's wrong with motorola? I've been using their phones for ten years and back then they were touted for their lack of bloat, good update policy and great price/quality ratio.
Incidentally, I'm looking for a new phone with as much camera as possible for around 250$ and a headphone jack. Performance and screen don't matter to me. I do like the moto gestures, where you can shake your phone to activate the flashlight and twist to open the camera. I could pay more for a more durable phone, as my last five motorolas all gave up the ghost after a year. I drop them on the daily and they get very wet.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I have Google Fi. I have four months left on my payment plan for a Pixel 6A.

I really want to get a Nothing Phone 2 and I know I can't buy one through Fi's marketplace on a monthly subscription. This is a hail mary to see if you all know something I don't about Nothing's lack of financing flexibility.

What's the best way I can purchase a Nothing Phone at the lowest price and then port it over to Google Fi and use my data plan?

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 15, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uguu posted:

What's wrong with motorola? I've been using their phones for ten years and back then they were touted for their lack of bloat, good update policy and great price/quality ratio.
Incidentally, I'm looking for a new phone with as much camera as possible for around 250$ and a headphone jack. Performance and screen don't matter to me. I do like the moto gestures, where you can shake your phone to activate the flashlight and twist to open the camera. I could pay more for a more durable phone, as my last five motorolas all gave up the ghost after a year. I drop them on the daily and they get very wet.

Since they were acquired by Lenovo they have consistently had worst-in-class support. Their phones often release an Android version behind where they should be, and they almost never catch up. They only do security updates every two months, and are often behind on those. They lie about Android version updates coming to a phone, and will string people along until the phones drop out of support, which is generally only 2 years. They are perhaps the worst company when it comes to actually providing information about when to expect any updates they actually do roll out, and there's also the aforementioned problem with outright lying.

If you want a jumping off point to find out more, this Android report card is a good place to start - go back to previous report cards to see the pattern that emerges: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3687640/android-13-upgrade-report-card.html

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Hi, I have a samsung galaxy s9. Is there any reason to upgrade to a new phone or should I just stick with it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ryuga Death posted:

Hi, I have a samsung galaxy s9. Is there any reason to upgrade to a new phone or should I just stick with it?

What carrier do you have ? If it’s a post paid plan, the S24 is out and most carriers have good promos.

If it’s prepaid or not US, like, is your phone working ok? Main reason to upgrade is A. If there is a good promo and B. s9 is getting old, new phone would have security updates and work better for sure.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Hey thread, I am looking for advice for my mom in here. She brought her iPhone 12 into the Apple Store because her earspeaker doesn't work anymore and the repair cost would have been $279 since the full screen had to be replaced for the fix. Obviously with a three-year-old phone that's throwing good money after bad, especially because they quoted the trade-in value at $220, so for an extra $100 she could have gotten a brand-new iPhone 13 with a fresh battery. However, I'm a bit scrupulous after checking the Apple website that they would have given her the full value for a broken phone since it says the phone needs to "function normally" to trade it in. Was the employee misspeaking/throwing her a bone and should she have taken her up on it in the moment?

The only carrier that I see that would take it in its current condition seems to be Verizon, and the best option I see there would more than quadruple her monthly bill (she's on US Mobile so it's only about $20/mo). Technically she comes out slightly ahead in value in a very specific circumstance (getting the iPhone 14 Plus which wouldn't require a trade-in and selling the iPhone 12 for parts and the TV they're giving out for >$600 total), but the iPhone 13 idea seems like so much less headache than financing a phone for 3 years. The only place that seems worth considering a switch to is Boost Infinite for their "get the latest iPhone every year" plan, but it looks like that basically requires you to get AppleCare with it so that you don't get stuck with a broken phone for two years while you pay the unexchangable one off. Still, though, paying $52 extra a month for peace of mind, unlimited data, and constant model refreshes doesn't seem like an awful deal. I think the iPhone 13 still is head and shoulders above it since owning is always better than leasing IMO, but is there anything else to consider if they won't actually accept the 12 at the full $220?

E: I think I answered my question about Boost Infinite, just found out Apple has the same thing and it would come out cheaper for her to do it with them and stick with US Mobile. Actually maybe not since that requires a big 3 plan... I'll still just go with her next week and help her trade her old phone into Apple most likely.

demostars fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 19, 2024

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

What carrier do you have ? If it’s a post paid plan, the S24 is out and most carriers have good promos.

If it’s prepaid or not US, like, is your phone working ok? Main reason to upgrade is A. If there is a good promo and B. s9 is getting old, new phone would have security updates and work better for sure.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry if my answer isn't clear, but my carrier is Spectrum. I'm unsure what a post paid plan is. I pay 14 dollars a month for a gig a month.

I think my phone is working fine but it does seem to be a bit on the slow side with apps like youtube and other stuff being opened at once. Also, the battery life seems to not be as good as it once was.

If I were to shop for a new phone, should I look to Spectrum for promos or something else like Amazon or Best Buy?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

Hey thread, I am looking for advice for my mom in here. She brought her iPhone 12 into the Apple Store because her earspeaker doesn't work anymore and the repair cost would have been $279 since the full screen had to be replaced for the fix. Obviously with a three-year-old phone that's throwing good money after bad, especially because they quoted the trade-in value at $220, so for an extra $100 she could have gotten a brand-new iPhone 13 with a fresh battery. However, I'm a bit scrupulous after checking the Apple website that they would have given her the full value for a broken phone since it says the phone needs to "function normally" to trade it in. Was the employee misspeaking/throwing her a bone and should she have taken her up on it in the moment?

The only carrier that I see that would take it in its current condition seems to be Verizon, and the best option I see there would more than quadruple her monthly bill (she's on US Mobile so it's only about $20/mo). Technically she comes out slightly ahead in value in a very specific circumstance (getting the iPhone 14 Plus which wouldn't require a trade-in and selling the iPhone 12 for parts and the TV they're giving out for >$600 total), but the iPhone 13 idea seems like so much less headache than financing a phone for 3 years. The only place that seems worth considering a switch to is Boost Infinite for their "get the latest iPhone every year" plan, but it looks like that basically requires you to get AppleCare with it so that you don't get stuck with a broken phone for two years while you pay the unexchangable one off. Still, though, paying $52 extra a month for peace of mind, unlimited data, and constant model refreshes doesn't seem like an awful deal. I think the iPhone 13 still is head and shoulders above it since owning is always better than leasing IMO, but is there anything else to consider if they won't actually accept the 12 at the full $220?

E: I think I answered my question about Boost Infinite, just found out Apple has the same thing and it would come out cheaper for her to do it with them and stick with US Mobile. Actually maybe not since that requires a big 3 plan... I'll still just go with her next week and help her trade her old phone into Apple most likely.

Dear god don’t get her Boost, it’s owned by Dish and is a complete poo poo show (not at all shocking).

You should get her whatever phone full retail and leave her on her $20 plan. Like, the 13 is a great phone, even if they reduce the trade in its worth it to have that cheap of a plan.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, Boost is why I tell people there are only really 3.5 phone carriers in the US, with Boost being the fraction. Boost was acquired by Dish as part of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger deal, and they were required to build out their network to certain milestones of coverage area, and I believe they've been struggling with that. Also, T-Mobile was supposed to carry them as an MVNO for a while, but reneged on that promise pretty quickly, if I recall correctly. In some cities they might be okay, but I would look sideways at them as a carrier in general.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, Boost is why I tell people there are only really 3.5 phone carriers in the US, with Boost being the fraction. Boost was acquired by Dish as part of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger deal, and they were required to build out their network to certain milestones of coverage area, and I believe they've been struggling with that. Also, T-Mobile was supposed to carry them as an MVNO for a while, but reneged on that promise pretty quickly, if I recall correctly. In some cities they might be okay, but I would look sideways at them as a carrier in general.

Dish:Boost isn’t even a 0.5 , there are 3 phone carriers in the US. Dish has been failing at rolling it call service for 15 years now, it was such a blatant lie when sprint and T-Mobile used Dish to justify their merger.

It’s from 2022, but this is a good summary of what a poo poo show it is.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/27/23373064/dish-project-genesis-5g-accounts-service

Ryuga Death posted:

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry if my answer isn't clear, but my carrier is Spectrum. I'm unsure what a post paid plan is. I pay 14 dollars a month for a gig a month.

I think my phone is working fine but it does seem to be a bit on the slow side with apps like youtube and other stuff being opened at once. Also, the battery life seems to not be as good as it once was.

If I were to shop for a new phone, should I look to Spectrum for promos or something else like Amazon or Best Buy?

You should buy a phone full retail, spectrum doesn’t do many discounts and they def won’t for a plan that’s $14 a month.

Check Samsung to see if they have promos to trade your S9 for the S24.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not sure where to ask about this, but we're trying to cut recurring expenses while getting our kids through preschool and our phone plan is a big one. I keep seeing/hearing ads for cheaper plans like Mint Mobile etc which use bigger carriers' networks but cost less. What is the general experience with them? You can't really use searches for this stuff these days because it's all sponsored content

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

loquacius posted:

Not sure where to ask about this, but we're trying to cut recurring expenses while getting our kids through preschool and our phone plan is a big one. I keep seeing/hearing ads for cheaper plans like Mint Mobile etc which use bigger carriers' networks but cost less. What is the general experience with them? You can't really use searches for this stuff these days because it's all sponsored content

I can't speak for the USA, but here in the UK they let you use those bigger carrier networks, but you don't get any of the perks/benefits that are often packaged (like free subscriptions to other things, cheap cinema tickets, etc etc). Which is fine for me!

In general (and again maybe it's different in the USA), the big downside is that the networks have a priority order for customers in busy and congested areas. If you're on one of the discount/piggyback services, you're on the bottom of the pile.

If you live in a big, congested city, you might find it harder to get signal in busy areas. For me, it meant any time I was in central London, I was unable to get signal. I think it also varies by carrier.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

loquacius posted:

The main things are which carrier they use, what area you live in, what their customer service is like, and how data deprioritization might affect you. If you own your phones and they;re unlocked, then it's just a matter of deciding if a cheaper provider works for you.

My main phone is on Verizon Prepaid, because here in the Pacific Northwest they have the best coverage. I get unlimited talk and text with 5GB high speed data per month for $26.25, including fees.

I have two phone on Tracfone, also using the Verizon towers, and I pay $20 per month on each with unlimited talk and text, and like 3GB of rollover data (so they both have huge banks of unused data).

I have yet to experience a time when I could look at my phone and tell my data was being deprioritized - with my usage in my area it just doesn't seem to come into play.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

In general third party carriers you can get slower data speeds at time of network congestion and they have extremely limited customer service.

What carrier do you have, how many lines, any phones on payment plan?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm on AT&T, two lines. Both have a phone on the payment plan, so I'd have to buy them out to switch under any circumstances, and AT&T loves to obfuscate what the actual apples-to-apples cost of the plan is, but essentially the lines are $88 each per month. Which is a lot! This includes the phone payments, but if I look at my bill it claims that the phone payments are discounted away anyway??? Seems purposely confusing! I'm on their Super Ultra Deluxe Elite plan but if I try to use their site to switch down to the Normal Person's Plan the total cost is only $1.50 lower per line per month. This is of course way higher than the promotional price they show on their site if I'm not logged in. The entire system seems purposely designed to prevent you from paying them less money under any circumstances. I was wondering if these cheapo services I keep hearing about were worth switching to even if I had to eat an up-front cost to buy out the phones, but it sounds like the answer is "probably not." Data is expensive and it sucks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I'm on AT&T, two lines. Both have a phone on the payment plan, so I'd have to buy them out to switch under any circumstances, and AT&T loves to obfuscate what the actual apples-to-apples cost of the plan is, but essentially the lines are $88 each per month. Which is a lot! This includes the phone payments, but if I look at my bill it claims that the phone payments are discounted away anyway??? Seems purposely confusing! I'm on their Super Ultra Deluxe Elite plan but if I try to use their site to switch down to the Normal Person's Plan the total cost is only $1.50 lower per line per month. This is of course way higher than the promotional price they show on their site if I'm not logged in. The entire system seems purposely designed to prevent you from paying them less money under any circumstances. I was wondering if these cheapo services I keep hearing about were worth switching to even if I had to eat an up-front cost to buy out the phones, but it sounds like the answer is "probably not." Data is expensive and it sucks

What exact phones and what is the phone balance owed on each?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife has an iPhone SE 3rd Edition with $350 left on it, and my Pixel 7 apparently has $700 left :eyepop:

jeez I didn't realize the balance was that high on the Pixel. I'd need to recoup a thousand bucks to make any switch worth it. Maybe I should revisit this later

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is one of the reasons I started to favor getting unlocked phones and putting them on prepaid plans in the first place. Not having to deal with uninstallable bloatware is another.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Not exactly a phone question, but our internet is currently out. For the future, if I wanted to buy a hotspot to use as a backup internet connection for my housemates who work from home, would that be a good way to go? Is there one you can buy and then just turn on for a handful of days when you need it, then just not have service the rest of the time?

EDIT: I'm currently on a Verizon post-paid plan with 5 lines.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 26, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Not exactly a phone question, but our internet is currently out. For the future, if I wanted to buy a hotspot to use as a backup internet connection for my housemates who work from home, would that be a good way to go? Is there one you can buy and then just turn on for a handful of days when you need it, then just not have service the rest of the time?

Why not just do it with a phone? I keep a secondary phone that gets rollover data on a Tracfone plan in case I need to hotspot for any period of time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

So, yes and no.

You can get them cheap on Amazon. Here’s the 8800L , which is the workhorse 4G one (note the 7730 is also fine, I have the 7730 and still occasionally use it).

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wire...s%2C131&sr=8-18

I can’t tell you exactly what the monthly is without seeing your plan, but basically it’s $10-20 a month for 15GB, $20-40 for 50GB, $40-60 for 100GB, and $60-80 for 150GB. Usually I recommend the 50GB if you were in your scenario.

Main downside: $35 act fee anytime you turn it on. So you CAN turn it on for like, a day, week, whatever, and it’s one month’s service and then you just call and deactivate it when reg internet is back. But each time you turn it on, it’s $35. It’s possible to get care to waive it, but that’s case by case.

I do have people who put it on the $10 a month plan and then just up it if they need to use use it (no fee for changing plans).

That all said, phone hotspot is also not a bad idea:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why not just do it with a phone? I keep a secondary phone that gets rollover data on a Tracfone plan in case I need to hotspot for any period of time.

Main downside is phone hotspots are a bit aggressive on turning off (particularly iPhones) since they’re going to have a goal of saving battery, etc.

That said, This is also not a bad idea, a Verizon postpaid plan has 15-50GB mobile hotspot depending on the plan. And a big one: if a phone line is on the latest Verizon plans, you can add a “perk” of $10 a month for 100GB mobile hotspot. That perk has no act fee, and you can add/remove at will, so if you put said person on new plan, doing this is probably way more economical than getting a sep mobile hotspot.

Oh, random other thing, if you’re on an older Verizon premium plan, they’re raising rates of some plans (I know it sucks and is ridiculous) so you may want to go to the new plans anyway. If you post or PM me the names of the plans the 4 phones are on I could tell you.

So that said, that’s both options. Either can work ok. Let me know

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is one of the reasons I started to favor getting unlocked phones and putting them on prepaid plans in the first place. Not having to deal with uninstallable bloatware is another.

I don't know whether this happens in the USA but here in the UK most networks that offer payment plans will now increase the monthly payment of those plans each year, in-line with the Bank of England's interest rates, which is something they never used to do. So what seems like a really great deal when you sign up slowly balloons in price to the point where it feels real bad in the final year of your contract. Especially bad last year when interest spiked up thanks to our terrible government.

It what pushed me into just buying my newest phone outright (because it's much easier to find good value SIM only plans that are fixed price and don't increase with the RIP index)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hi there. A friend in the Netherlands wants a new phone.

The following are kinda the only things they care about, like, at all:

- security updates (and OS updates ideally I guess). They replace their phone very rarely. Companies these days have lovely policies. Samsung seems to be the only one with an acceptable 4/5 years of promised security updates on their budget models galaxy A05S and galaxy M34. All other companies are worse they say.
- enough memory so minimum 128
- battery life
- 5g would be nice

Everything else is not very important.

So, any alternatives to Samsung?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dancer posted:

Hi there. A friend in the Netherlands wants a new phone.

The following are kinda the only things they care about, like, at all:

- security updates (and OS updates ideally I guess). They replace their phone very rarely. Companies these days have lovely policies. Samsung seems to be the only one with an acceptable 4/5 years of promised security updates on their budget models galaxy A05S and galaxy M34. All other companies are worse they say.
- enough memory so minimum 128
- battery life
- 5g would be nice

Everything else is not very important.

So, any alternatives to Samsung?

Pixel 7a perhaps? Depends how much they want to spend really, but the 7a seems to tick all those boxes.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm looking to replace my Pixel because it's EOL and the screen is starting to go weird. I'm a German living in America, I'm currently using a phone I bought in Germany, with a physical SIM from my lovely German carrier mostly so I can keep my old German phone number, and a Google Fi eSIM for actually doing phone things. So, I'm looking for a new phone that can also do this dual physical/e SIM thing and will also, uhh, support the right frequency bands to go fast in Germany when I visit? I think my German carrier uses the Vodafone network but I have no idea how Google Fi roaming would work? I swear I used to know how to look that up but that was a few generations of cellular technology ago and I feel pretty lost now, is that still a thing or can I just get whatever phone and assume it's going to work just fine everywhere?

Is Pixel my best (Android) bet for a long period of security updates?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Country/Provider: US, just outside Baltimore. 4 lines on T-Mobile
Current contract status: Just moved all lines in, open to get them all 4 out.
Features I know I want: At least some Hotspot, Unlimited Data, no throttling.

I got conned into moving my parents 2 lines off the TMo 55+ plan and my 2 lines off prepaid to a family plan by being told I could use a 20% Insider F&F code, which was a blatant lie that they will not honor. After 20 hours on with customer support this week just to get all the lines moved in, my patience with TMo is exhausted.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Alright, after two years it's time to retire my Nokia G50 as it's starting to have odd random issues and slowdowns as well as randomly shutting down background apps or not synching correctly. I got this one as part of a plan and it's paid off now, but I'd like to see what else is out there. As far as plans go I'm already covered by a good one.

I'm in Eastern Europe (Bulgaria) so the market's a bit different here. Right now I'm looking at spending about $300 tops on something that'll carry me through the next few years. I'm eyeing the Nokia G60 because in all aspects it looks like it'll fit the bill for my needs.

Requirements: Pretty much just basic phone use. I don't game and I just need to be able to take decent photos if needed as I've got a DSLR. I'll also be using a work profile on it for work-related stuff (Teams/Outlook). NFC for contactless payments, 5GHz Wi-Fi and a good fingerprint scanner are also hard requirements although I don't really know if there's even any phones left without that. MicroSD card support and a 3.5mm jack would be nice as well.

I'd rather not go Samsung as I've got some bad experiences with them and dislike the UI, and I've got pretty decent experiences with Nokia so far. Any other brands/models I should be considering? I like my Android to be as stock as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Country/Provider: US, just outside Baltimore. 4 lines on T-Mobile
Current contract status: Just moved all lines in, open to get them all 4 out.
Features I know I want: At least some Hotspot, Unlimited Data, no throttling.

I got conned into moving my parents 2 lines off the TMo 55+ plan and my 2 lines off prepaid to a family plan by being told I could use a 20% Insider F&F code, which was a blatant lie that they will not honor. After 20 hours on with customer support this week just to get all the lines moved in, my patience with TMo is exhausted.

Big question is what was and what is your monthly rate? 2nd is did you buy any new phones, or was it all BYOD? If it was BYOD you can go wherever you want.

I can get you a quote for Verizon, I just need to know those two answers, and also do all 4 lines need mobile hotspot?

You can post here or PM me.