Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Steinbeck posted:

Yes the G2 aka HTC Magic (ugh). It's pretty great looking but sadly Korea's High-Tech Computing still thinks you want a special adapter to listen to music w/ a set of 3.5mm headphones.
Actually, HTC is a Taiwanese company, and the acronym doesn't stand for "High Tech Computer" anymore, just HTC. :eng101:

I'll agree that the constant omission of 3.5mm jacks is a dick move, but it's not like any of their phones have sound quality worth listening to anyway. If you're music's going to sound like poo poo, it may as well sound like poo poo via A2DP. I suppose that doesn't help Android customers yet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Okay, looks like the Nokia E71 is pretty much exactly what I was wanting with a nice slim upgrade from my Motorola L7 that is a lot more smartphone-ish.

So if I buy an unlocked on from Amazon-- will it work on ATT? Do I still have to pay the 30$ rear end rape data fee from ATT?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jeeves posted:

Okay, looks like the Nokia E71 is pretty much exactly what I was wanting with a nice slim upgrade from my Motorola L7 that is a lot more smartphone-ish.

So if I buy an unlocked on from Amazon-- will it work on ATT? Do I still have to pay the 30$ rear end rape data fee from ATT?

Yes, it will work on at&t.
I think unlimited data is $15 while data + text is $30.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Dr Tran posted:

Yes, it will work on at&t.
I think unlimited data is $15 while data + text is $30.

Yeah I just saw that. I pay 15$ right now for 1500 texts, so it would be 15+15 anyhow for data. Might as well just go with the 30$.

Funny how iphones are 30$ for data + 15$ for texts.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

jeeves posted:

Funny how iphones are 30$ for data + 15$ for texts.
Yeah. "Funny."

EeveeTrainer
Dec 19, 2008
E71 is SUPPOSED to be $30 data. It's just that you can get around it by not informing them that you are using a smartphone.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

EeveeTrainer posted:

E71 is SUPPOSED to be $30 data. It's just that you can get around it by not informing them that you are using a smartphone.

Good point.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If you were willing to elaborate on your issues with the smartphone market we might be able to find something that works for you. If you do go down this road, for either one you have to be careful, since both AT&T and T-Mobile use non-standard and mutually incompatible 3G bands. If you're going for AT&T look for 850/1900 3G (you might get away with just 1900, but not just 850), and if T-Mobile look for either 1700 or 1700/2100 (2100 alone won't do). You'll still need 850/1900 GSM (2G) as a fallback for either one.

I guess my main qualm is that all smartphones are candy bars, also I fear I would find myself using the internet even more than I already do. Mostly the candy bar thing, I want to be able to have my phone sit in my pockt without pocketdialing anyone or the screen getting scratched, I tend to walk with quite a few art supplies in my pocket or such so I don't want to have to worry about babying the thing. and since I only want to use about 3 of a smartphones many features (talking/texting/gps) I don't really see why I should get something for 300+.

however, if I did have one and could use it to stream something like one of my favorite internet radio stations like http://woxy.com then that'd be tits.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SamuraiPaul posted:

I guess my main qualm is that all smartphones are candy bars, also I fear I would find myself using the internet even more than I already do. Mostly the candy bar thing, I want to be able to have my phone sit in my pockt without pocketdialing anyone or the screen getting scratched, I tend to walk with quite a few art supplies in my pocket or such so I don't want to have to worry about babying the thing. and since I only want to use about 3 of a smartphones many features (talking/texting/gps) I don't really see why I should get something for 300+.

however, if I did have one and could use it to stream something like one of my favorite internet radio stations like http://woxy.com then that'd be tits.

I don't know offhand if the Nokia 6650 can use the Internet Radio application Nokia made. If it can, that sounds like it'd solve all the problems you've presented.

Fake edit: Howardforums suggests it can (#178), despite it not being listed as a compatible device on Nokia's site. Of course, it may even be preloaded; I don't use a 6650 myself. The stand alone price ($270 direct, may be less elsewhere) may be a bit out of your preferred range, and you may not want a contract, but if you can get past that, the situation should be sorted.

Note: The TM506 and Rugby might also have Internet Radio, but Google is failing me.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I felt I would post this here since my phone search is still on this page. I found this "unlocked" phone on ebay here and was wondering if this looks like utter bullshit to you guys.. I still have to use AT&T it looks like so that doesn't sound unlocked at all. (then again I'm not savvy in this at all)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SamuraiPaul posted:

The BlackBerry Pearl Flip is a flip smartphone. I have never had a problem with my Curve unlocking itself on its own but it's a pain when you forget to lock your phone. The Pearl Flip is $49 after a $100 MIR on a 2-year contract with T-Mobile.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SamuraiPaul posted:

I felt I would post this here since my phone search is still on this page. I found this "unlocked" phone on ebay here and was wondering if this looks like utter bullshit to you guys.. I still have to use AT&T it looks like so that doesn't sound unlocked at all. (then again I'm not savvy in this at all)

Either it has been opened or the phone is still locked (in the meaningful 'can only use this with Carrier X' sense). Seller is a liar.

EDIT: Locked is more likely than opened, but the chances are decent that it's both. If I had to guess, they think (that they can pass) a phone without any security codes in place as 'unlocked' because a lot of people think it must be good even though they have no clue what the hell 'unlocked' means.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 23, 2009

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
This is a bit of an odd situation, but here goes:

Country/Provider: USA, Sprint
Current contract status: 10 months to go out of a 2 yr contract
Budget (phone/plan): up to $125, but preferably under $100, must be used/no contract renewal
Features I know I want: Smart (ish) phone, decent web services

I currently have a Palm Centro, and smashed my screen when I stepped on it like a clumsy idiot. I was going to get a Pre, but now I think I'm going to wait a few months for Pre feedback, as well as seeing if the rumored iPhone 2,1 is in the works. The iPhone is rumored for June, so we'll say it has to least me until at least then, but potentially through the end of my contract in the event I don't want to pay an ETF if I jump to ATT.

Even though the Centro was getting on my nerves, I think I would like to have another smart-ish phone, so I don't want anything too basic. Good IM/text/mail capability would be terrific, and something with a usable browser would be even better.

Some things I've considered:

HTC Mogul - Heard people are making a hacked-up version of Android run on this, and the phone seems acceptable for me even without that. Looks like it goes just a bit under $100

HTC Touch - comes in just over $100 from what I see on eBay. Another smart phone.

"teen" phones, such as the Rant, Rumor, etc - would probably be decent for text, but probably be disappointing for other "smart" functions

My big problem is that I'm not used to buying used phones, so I don't really know what is practical for my price range, what is available, etc.

If you have a phone to sell you think would fit the bill, I do have an SA-Mart thread set up already, and if I do like the phone we can carry out the transaction there.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.
Country/Provider: Australia/Optus

Current contract status: Monthly contract (not locked into anything at the moment)

Budget (phone/plan): Phone budget up to approx. AUD$1000.

Features I know I want:
- GPS
- Camera (not too fussed about quality 'cause if I want quality shots, I'll use an actual camera)
- web browsing/email
- decent organiser
- bluetooth
- global roaming

I'm not looking to get a new phone right now, but most likely within the next 2-3 months. Also, my typical usage would probably consist of making calls and sending sms/mms. My work does warrant that every now and then I drive out onto sites so I want GPS functionality. However, I have no interest in getting a separate GPS unit as I only ever use GPS (which I have on my current phone) when I go somewhere new (which thankfully doesn't happen very often).

Prof.Snugglesworth fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 30, 2009

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Junjun posted:

my current phone which is a Nokia 6210 Navigator) when I go somewhere new
You could get the revamped Nokia 6710. Nearly same phone but it gets over 6 hours of GPS navigation on one charge and the camera is upgraded to 5MP.

Since your budget is so large, you could probably get the N97.

raskolniki
Feb 9, 2009

by Fistgrrl
* Country/Provider: Canada / Bell

* Current contract status: Expiring next month

* Budget (phone/plan): phone pretty flexible, plan 50 bucks a month

* Features I know I want: Lots of minutes, voice mail, caller id, fair amount of text, (internet if I can afford it?)

I'm kind of reluctant to go back to bell because of the screwjob they gave me over the last 3 years, but if they have any good deal I'd consider it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So after all of the good input, I bought a Nokia E71 on amazon for 300$.

I currently am out of contract on ATT, so I am free to upgrade without any fine print, I think. I currently pay the base 45$ for 450 minutes or whatever, and plus $15 for 1500 texts.

They have a plan that is 30$ for unlimited text and data, which I think I am going to upgrade to. However is that only for non-smart phones? The iphone wanted 30$ for JUST data, and then another 5-15$ for texts. Can I upgrade on their website for unlimited data, and then take the phone in to my local ATT store and have them activate it without them trying to skank me on forcing me to have the same 30+15$ monthly fee for data/texts as Iphones? Or are they just squeezing money out of rich trend whores by charging the high data fee for only iphones?

Also, how does one activate one of those new phones in general. I've never bought an unlocked phone directly off of amazon before. Do you just take it in to an ATT store and they transfer the number, or what?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

jeeves posted:

So after all of the good input, I bought a Nokia E71 on amazon for 300$.

I currently am out of contract on ATT, so I am free to upgrade without any fine print, I think. I currently pay the base 45$ for 450 minutes or whatever, and plus $15 for 1500 texts.

They have a plan that is 30$ for unlimited text and data, which I think I am going to upgrade to. However is that only for non-smart phones? The iphone wanted 30$ for JUST data, and then another 5-15$ for texts. Can I upgrade on their website for unlimited data, and then take the phone in to my local ATT store and have them activate it without them trying to skank me on forcing me to have the same 30+15$ monthly fee for data/texts as Iphones? Or are they just squeezing money out of rich trend whores by charging the high data fee for only iphones?

Also, how does one activate one of those new phones in general. I've never bought an unlocked phone directly off of amazon before. Do you just take it in to an ATT store and they transfer the number, or what?

Activating a phone on a GSM carrier (like AT&T) consists of the following steps (It gets a little more complicated with the iPhone, but... let's not discuss the iPhone.):

1) Take SIM card out of old phone. (It's a tiny piece of credit card material that looks like an SD card's kid brother. Usually under the battery.)
2) Put SIM card in new phone.

To add services, all you have to do is call them and add the service to the line (not the phone).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 23, 2009

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Okay rad. I knew you had to configure the sim card, but I didn't know if each phone had a sim card that was unique to it that had to be configured by the carrier, or if they were interchangeable from like an old 3-4 year old L6 to a new E71.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
* Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

* Current contract status: 1 year left

* Budget (phone): up to $200 for a phone

* Features I know I want: basic phone with a decent camera and mp3 ringtones

I have a Nokia 6126 now and it's going crazy on me. Sometimes when I call people it sounds like I'm underwater or something and the phone likes to "reset" in the middle of calls. I called AT&T customer support and my warranty expired last month, so I just want to get a new phone and swap my SIM card into it.

So, I want a phone that can make and recieve calls and texts well, maybe play some games, take decent pictures, and have custom ringtones. I'd like to stick with Nokia, but I'm willing to switch. I don't want a smartphone or PDA style anything. I've tried looking on CNET and some other sites and there are just so many phones and conflicting reviews that I got really lost. please help me!

e: decided to buy a nokia 6300, I hope I like it :)

Laminator fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 24, 2009

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Unlike the fellow above me, I don't care about the phone, as I want to keep my current one and unlock it.

I'm looking for the cheapest deal in the UK that gives me ~200 minutes per month and charges reasonable standard rates for data. I don't use data a lot, which rules out T-mobile web 'n walk, for example. But when I do use data, I end up paying that £1/day minimum. Even if I only use 2 Mb per month - if I break that into 20 sessions, it comes to £20. You see? :argh:

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

* Current contract status: Paying month to month

* Budget (phone): $300ish

* Features I know I want: Full keyboard, web browsing, email, music would be nice

I've got a w810i that I like a lot, but with as much texting as I do it would be nice to have a full keyboard. Also, I'd like a phone that was better suited for email and surfing the web.

I'm paying month to month on AT&T, but my mom and sisters have a family plan on Verizon that they said I could get in on if I wanted. Service for both providers is pretty comparable where I live.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lumieres Train posted:

* Features I know I want: Full keyboard, web browsing, email, music would be nice

I've got a w810i that I like a lot, but with as much texting as I do it would be nice to have a full keyboard. Also, I'd like a phone that was better suited for email and surfing the web.

I'm paying month to month on AT&T, but my mom and sisters have a family plan on Verizon that they said I could get in on if I wanted. Service for both providers is pretty comparable where I live.

If you do join Verizon, how does that change budgeting and contract willingness? (Actually, the contract thing is kinda useful to know either way.)

Also: Is 350 too much? How about 330?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Country/Provider: USA/Sprint and UK/Europe

Current contract status: On the old $30/month SERO plan

Budget (phone/plan): $200 or so

Features I know I want: Sprint CDMA and European GSM

Right now I'm under contract with Sprint for the amazing $30 SERO. I don't think I'll ever want to give that up. I'm starting to travel to the UK/Europe more often on business, and although I have a quad-band GSM company phone, I'd like to have a personal phone that works in Europe as well.

I'm debating whether or not I should get the Samsung Ace from Sprint (with both Sprint CDMA and 900/1800 GSM capabilities) or if I should just get a separate GSM phone for my travels. I'd be using pay-as-you-go SIMs for my personal phone while I travel, so I don't care too much about which provider I go with while travelling.

Any thoughts? Should I get the Samsung Ace that lets me travel between USA/Europe on a single phone? Or should I just get a separate GSM phone? Are there any other phones that will let me do what I want to do?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Lumieres Train posted:

Heads up, Amazon has the Nokia E71 NAM for $289 today only
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-E71-Unlocked-Camera-Player/dp/B001BZJ54U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1235843768&sr=8-1

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

If you do join Verizon, how does that change budgeting and contract willingness? (Actually, the contract thing is kinda useful to know either way.)

Also: Is 350 too much? How about 330?

My family currently has 3 lines on the 1400 minute family select plan, so adding a fourth line to that would make it $140, but then I'd still have to add my own data plan to that, right? So the Verizon and AT&T plans would cost roughly the same unless my math is messed up somewhere.

Both of those phones look really nice. Does anyone here have experience with both? I've never had a smartphone so it's hard to decide between the two, and I don't know where I'd find a E71 locally to find out how it feels in my hand.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Lumieres Train posted:

Both of those phones look really nice. Does anyone here have experience with both? I've never had a smartphone so it's hard to decide between the two, and I don't know where I'd find a E71 locally to find out how it feels in my hand.
Shirley, you must have a best buy near you. They have the E71 and N96 on display.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lumieres Train posted:

My family currently has 3 lines on the 1400 minute family select plan, so adding a fourth line to that would make it $140, but then I'd still have to add my own data plan to that, right? So the Verizon and AT&T plans would cost roughly the same unless my math is messed up somewhere.

I have an E71 myself, and it's pretty drat sweet.

As for demos: I know there's a nonworking model of the E71 and the Touch Diamond (which admittedly isn't the Touch Pro, but is about 4mm thickness and a keyboard removed from it) at my local Radio Shack.

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Shirley, you must have a best buy near you. They have the E71 and N96 on display.

I have an E71 myself, and it's pretty drat sweet.

As for demos: I know there's a nonworking model of the E71 and the Touch Diamond (which admittedly isn't the Touch Pro, but is about 4mm thickness and a keyboard removed from it) at my local Radio Shack.

I don't know why I didn't think to check either of those places for phones. I'll look at both of them tomorrow. Thanks guys.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The form factor of the E71 is amazingly good, and the auto-correct spell check while typing is drat slick.

I just have to get used to the UI, as my old Motorola L6 had a much more intuitive UI than this one kind of is.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

# Country/Provider:

USA - T-Mobile

# Current contract status:

Out of contract, going to stay that way. This is code for "unlocked or unlockable GSM please."

# Budget (phone/plan):

$0-$150, I am keeping my grandfathered T-Mobile plan that gives me a slutty amount of minutes and unlimited data for around $50/month after taxes.

# Features I know I want:

Clamshell/flip. Mostly because I'm hard on phones with exposed screens, but also because I like the satisfying slam of hanging up on someone with the a flip-phone.

Camera. I've been living without a phone camera for a few months and it's starting to get mildly annoying.

Must either have a decent browser or be able to run Opera Mini.

Must be able to sync the phonebook either directly with my Mac via iSync, or any of a number of web services.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Open up your wallet a little bit and get an unlocked iPhone 2G.

EDIT: Also drop the clamshell requirement. Good web browesers and flip phones don't go hand in hand.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Hi,

I've been out of the cell phone market for a long time now, I last bought an MDA several years ago. Other than a few crashes, I really like the Winmobile OS because of all the programs available for it. So, anyways, here we go:

* Country/Provider: US AT&T

* Current contract status: 8 months

* Budget (phone/plan): 800

* Features I know I want:
- 3G
- as big of a screen as possible
- Good battery Life
- GPS

Web browsing is the number 1 thing I do on these things. I love news feeds.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

* Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

* Budget (phone): Infinity, although my requirements are cheap.

* Features I know I want: The best "phone" phone. Longest battery life, best "reception". Fairly rugged a plus, but not necessary. GPS so I can use VNavigator when I get lost. I prefer clamshell, or at least a phone I don't have to lock the keys to not pocket dial. I have a Motorola V325i and I love it, but it hasn't been the same since going through the wash.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

* Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
* Current contract status: Out of contract, paying month to month
* Budget (phone/plan): somewhat flexible
* Features I know I want: 3g Smart Phone

My family plan's contracts are all up and we're planning to switch off Verizon. I've been more or less assigned to figure out which service to switch to since they're not so good with technology. I want to get a smart phone, everyone else just wants basic stuff and limited texting. So really the issues are price, coverage, which phone I'd like to get, and how the carriers compare in customer service and phone options(mainly thinking unlocked phones if we'd want to upgrade down the road)

It seems like at&t and t-mobile are the best 2 options, with at&t offering better coverage and t-mobile offering better price and other factors between the two more or less a wash. Is this accurate? How big of a difference is coverage? I've looked at the maps but I don't really know accurate those are. I'm more concerned about coverage in metro areas than rural areas, so i'm more worried about which one is not going to work in random houses and buildings in a big city for no reason. Mainly in the Houston and Austin area if that helps.

As for the phone for myself, i've mainly narrowed it down to a g1, iphone, or one of the HTC touchs. Are there any other phones along these lines that should be seriously considered too? How does battery life compare between the 3?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

G-Hawk posted:

As for the phone for myself, i've mainly narrowed it down to a g1, iphone, or one of the HTC touchs. Are there any other phones along these lines that should be seriously considered too? How does battery life compare between the 3?
I can't speak for the G1 or iPhone, but my own personal experience says that most modern smartphones need to be charged every day. You shouldn't have much trouble getting through the day on a full charge, but make sure to recharge it at night.

Also avoid car chargers whenever possible (this is with any phone, really), as they shorten your battery life over time.

Do you intend to do a lot of text messaging?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

brc64 posted:

I can't speak for the G1 or iPhone, but my own personal experience says that most modern smartphones need to be charged every day. You shouldn't have much trouble getting through the day on a full charge, but make sure to recharge it at night.

Also avoid car chargers whenever possible (this is with any phone, really), as they shorten your battery life over time

Do you intend to do a lot of text messaging?
Yeah, charging every night isn't a problem for me I expect that. I just want to make sure it can make it through a day fine with a decent amount of usage, I've heard some bad stories. I'm not in the car much anyway so thats not a problem.

I do a moderate amount of text messaging. I guess its hard for me to decide between the options because there is not like one big thing i'm worried about, I just want the most versatility and functionality. I think i'm leaning towards the g1 for android and the keyboard.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

G-Hawk posted:

Yeah, charging every night isn't a problem for me I expect that. I just want to make sure it can make it through a day fine with a decent amount of usage, I've heard some bad stories. I'm not in the car much anyway so thats not a problem.

I do a moderate amount of text messaging. I guess its hard for me to decide between the options because there is not like one big thing i'm worried about, I just want the most versatility and functionality. I think i'm leaning towards the g1 for android and the keyboard.

I mostly asked about texting because that adds a good bit of cost to the iPhone plan if you were looking that route. $20 for unlimited texting, $15 for 1500 or $5 for 200. $0.20 per message otherwise. For a 450 minute plan, that puts iPhone monthly cost at $89.99/mo with unlimited text.

On Sprint, you could get an HTC Touch Pro (with hardware keyboard) and pay $69.99/mo for the same thing (and also get Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation). And since Sprint roams on Verizon's network, coverage is pretty good, too. That said, Windows Mobile phones do have a bit of a learning curve to them. They're incredibly versatile if you put the time into customizing them, but they're not quite as easy to use out of the box as an iPhone or Android probably is.

I don't know much about T-Mobile's offerings.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

My main drawback from Sprint is from what I know they're not very good as far as phone options and unlockable phones go, so if down the line I want to upgrade I could be screwed. The only thing holding me back on t-mobile is my questions of coverage more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Also avoid car chargers whenever possible (this is with any phone, really), as they shorten your battery life over time.

Where does this come from? I have never heard this before.