Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

# Country/Provider: Canada, Telus
# Current contract status: my contract ended long ago so I'm free to change to a different provider or anything really
# Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to stick to 350-400 max for the phone if possible. I'm not sure what a good monthly plan looks like...50-60 bucks or so?
# Features I know I want:

-qwerty keyboard
-slim, preferably not a folding or clamshell design
-gps
-access email
-basic internet access
-I'm a researcher and always have a huge paper trail of hastily scribbled notes behind me, so I want a phone that has some kind of good note-taking feature (adequate storage, intuitive interface, possibly the ability to email notes as files to other phones/computers). voice-recording note-taking feature would be cool too.

Multimedia stuff (youtube, movies, music) would be a nice bonus but isn't really that important.

So far I've been told to consider the Iphone, the Nokia E71, and the Blackberry Storm or Bold, but I don't know how seriously to take those recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Contract status: none. I'm willing to get into one for a good deal.

Budget: under $50 a month if possible

I don't have a phone at the moment. I'd like to get one with a keyboard, but aside from that I don't need anything fancy. I really don't need a lot of features: decent amount of daytime minutes, unlimited or cheaper text messaging...that's about it really. I'm mostly looking for recommendations for a durable, practical phone that's comfortable to use, and a good company/plan, with good call quality etc, and suitable for a student budget. Any help would be massively appreciated because I know nothing about the US market.

edit: some sort of option for decent long-distance minutes would be nice too.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I'm with Sprint (no contract, month to month) and I'm confused about the merger with T-Mobile. I want to replace my dying iPhone with a (probably refurbished so it's cheaper) unlocked phone of some kind but I'm not sure what compatibility I should be looking for, as Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM.

The change-over is still in process so...if I get a GSM phone will it work yet? Or do I need to get a CDMA phone that will just stop working in a year when the change over is done? I tried asking Sprint customer service but they had no idea what I was talking about. It's possible that I'm the idiot here but Sprint people are often confused.

I'd like to just get a cheap Samsung Galaxy A11 for example, if I can.