Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I live in Europe mainly and have a cell phone plan on an unlocked phone. I spend about a month a year in the US and need a plan for that. I'm looking for a SIM card plan in the USA similar to european ones where I can pay $20-50 without a plan and not having to buy a new phone and just get N minutes and X text messages.

Is Virgin Mobile the closest there is? Do all the US plans have a time limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I have an unlocked iPhone 3GS and just got back to the states. I'm looking for a GSM-based plan with data. My expected monthly consumption will probably be:
• 200 minutes talking
• 100 texts
• 1 GB data

T-Mobile's "Bring Your Own Phone" plan of 500 minutes and 2 GB at 3G (throttled after that) for $45/month seems like the best deal from a reputable company. I wish Virgin Mobile offered a GSM version of their service but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Any services I've overlooked? Are the shady "we'll send you a SIM card, no contracts" services any good?