Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
I think I know my path forward, but wanted to solicit feedback generally and on the order of operations for the plan I'm hoping to execute. Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious or miscalculating here.

I have two lines on AT&T postpaid in the US. We're paying $100/month before taxes/fees for 4GB of data per line and both phones are fully paid off. I found this to be expensive, so have been evaluating options including MVNOs and prepaid plans. We typically don't exceed monthly data, and if we do, it's by no more than 1GB. Generally when we're using mobile data, we need it for some reason, but would not benefit from unlimited plans for the cost.

For where we live and travel, key considerations are 1) local area coverage, 2) keeping decent data priority, and 3) having some kind of international option where 1GB of international roaming (typically in tourist destinations) is $30 or less. AT&T is a known quantity and reliable, T-Mobile is not as well-covered but would likely be okay, Verizon likely fine.

It seems the AT&T 5GB prepaid plan is a good split-the-difference option. It should cut our monthly bill in half while giving more data, keep us on the known network with the same data priority we have today, and the international pass is available for when we travel.

In this process, I am looking to upgrade one of the phones to a Pixel 8 Pro. I plan to buy this outright because of a discount I can get from retail separate from the phone plans.

Because I'm on AT&T postpaid, I think I need to go into an AT&T Corporate store to migrate/port the numbers. I think what I need to do is 1) get the new phone unlocked and unactivated, 2) go into the AT&T store to start the prepaid plans and get the number migration process going with the existing phone that will move across plans and the new unactivated phone, 3) pray. This is where I'm least certain - should I start the plans sooner, or is this the right order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Thank you both for the perspective. I'm going to stew a bit more to figure out what actually matters most right now - cost, carrier, and customer service - as that will drive our end decision.