Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I am looking for a new phone and I need some help. I just got out of Navy boot camp and have arrived at my next training station and am trying to decide which phone to get and carrier to go with. I will be stationed near Virginia Beach for the next year or so but afterwards may wind up anywhere in the world. I would like a smartphone that I can browse the internet from and possibly play music from as well. The phone that is catching my eye right now is the iPhone but I don't know much about service plans or what other options for phones I have that compares to that. I am willing to spend 200-300$ on a phone and I will probably need somewhere on the order of 1000 minutes a month. Thanks in advance for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

My Note 4 is old and dying and I need something new. Reading this thread a bit I see Samsung doesn't have the best reputation here but I like big dumb shiny Samsung phones and I want an S8+. Specifically I was looking at this one on Amazon. I've never bought a phone from anyone other than my carrier (T-Mobile) before though so I just want to make sure that I can get this phone, pop my SIM card in it, and be good to go right? This is probably a dumb question but TIA.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 14, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

If you enjoyed the Note 4 as much as I do, the new one should be out in a little over a month.

Yeah the Note 8 is the phone I really want, I loved my Note 4 (and 3!), but it's having serious charging issues so I don't know If I can wait. I wonder if it would be dumb to just get a G5+ as a holdover phone until later this year hmmmm. I'd consider a pixel XL but the 2 is also right around the corner.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

You can get a wireless charging back cover for cheap, as a bonus the wireless charger should also work with the Note 8.

Oh snap I didn't even think of that, I'll give it a shot thanks.