Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Country/Provider:
Houston, TX USA.

Current Contract Status:
AT&T/Cingular. On a family-share plan.

Budget:
Pretty flexible, honestly. Not sure what I'd be looking at for this, but I could easily spring $100+ per month if I enjoy using this.

Features:
Internet browsing, e-mail capabilities, probably texting as well I guess.

So for a bit of backstory/reasoning here to help show what I'm talking about here: I am getting a career change. Was doing offshore and am now moving in to Houston. I don't make active use of my cell outside of talking to family or friends at present, but if I were in an office environment, I would use it to browse the internet when things are dull, without the worries of some IT goon staring at my history and going "WHAT IS THIS 'SOMETHING AWFUL' :mad:" Plus, I wouldn't mind being able to access Google Maps on the go! Another neat thing would be the ability to tap in to internet radio on it and use an earbud to listen whilst working.

One last thing that irks me is that when I stayed at an apt joint in Houston a couple years back, I couldn't buzz someone in (gated apt complex) due to my area code. Evidently, you can't buzz in someone at the gate unless your phone is of the local area code. At least in most of the places I've seen and heard of. Plus, it seems odd to be living in Houston permanently and having an area code from a hundred miles away.

Anyhow. I am also on a family share plan at present. It costs my folks $10 and if it saves me doing $100 a month for something I rarely used, I was fine with that (I was gone over half of the year typically. It seemed like a waste of money to do a full plan). I am using AT&T/Cingular, but have no qualms with switching over.

Additionally, I am looking in to a new phone. I have a wonderful clamshell that is a roughly four year-old model. Battery life has typically been a big seller to me (hence this present phone), but if I want to browse the internet in down-time or look at Google maps, this would be a waste. I am thinking either a top-end Blackberry model or an iPhone 3G. I've been reading reviews, but can't get a definite winner either way. I have heard, though, that the iPhone makes for easier net browsing (although I am not too keen on a fully touch-screen interface, I might get used to it).

So to summarize: I'd like to look in to a do-all plan (internet, texting, long-distance if that's an issue nowadays, and a fair number of minutes. I'm no chatterbox on the phone, but I'd like a good buffer. A very rare "busy" day would be an hour on the phone maximum). with a provider in the Houston area. Also, I am trying to decide on either iPhone or Blackberry. Any recommendations or good reviews? Or testimonies?

Much oblige, goons.

Geop fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU