Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

* Country/Provider: US/Minnesota, leaning towards AT&T

* Current contract status: None whatsoever

* Budget (phone/plan): Maybe $150 for my phone, as cheap as possible for the plan

* Features I know I want: Camera, the ability to put my own ringtones on it would be nice (don't a lot require that you buy them from the provider? i dunno), good battery life, small form factor

Basically I've been on the family plan for years, paying $10 a month to my parents for it. They're dropping us at the end of the month, and now my girlfriend and I have to get our own plan. Between the two of us, we've used 15 text messages and about 900 minutes over the last 3 months. I can get a discount on an AT&T plan through my employer, so I'm leaning towards them, but with the plan I'm looking at (550 minute 2-line family plan, $59.99/month) it's only a $5/month discount, so if there's anything cheaper, I'd be open to it.

As for the phone, I've had a Motorola V710 for about three years and I'm sick of its stupid antenna, lovely battery life and slow, stupid UI. Girlfriend has had some Nokia brick for about 4 years. She'd be happy with drat near anything that has a battery that lasts more than half an hour and is cute. I like the looks of some of the LG Incite (wifi is cool too), but I'm really afraid of buying another phone I'll hate.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Godzilla07 posted:

Any AT&T smartphone will require you to get a $29.99 data plan. The Incite sucks anyways because of Windows Mobile.

The Samsung Eternity is $149 AR. It has a good camera. But you'll be paying $199 at the store. If you don't want to go with the Eternity, then go with the Sony Ericsson W760. It's better than the Shine. The W760 should be fine for your girlfriend also but the Shine is an alternative also.
Cool, thanks! Just ordered an Eternity for myself an a W760 for my girlfriend.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

# Country/Provider: USA, on AT&T

# Current contract status: 2 year contract, 1 year 3 months left

# Budget (phone/plan): $200, maybe a little more?

# Features I know I want: Easy-to-use MP3 player, a camera that's at least as good as the one on my current phone, and GPS and a QWERTY keyboard would be nice.

After I got kicked off my parent's family plan, I went to AT&T with a family plan + data with me and my girlfriend, she got a Sony Ericsson something or other, and I got a Samsung Eternity, based off of various reviews and recommendations. I've since come to hate the drat thing for it's various software bugs, mediocre touchscreen, how much the features are locked down, the hard-to-manage MP3 player, and the fact that I apparently need WinXP to DO anything with it (I run OSX and Win7).

I'm also pretty sure that I don't want a flip phone or a slider. It would also be great if it had software that worked with a Mac without having to bootcamp it. I'm open to such as a Blackberry as long as it doesn't end up tacking more onto my monthly bill.

The media player really is the most important part, because the radio and cd player in my car don't work, while my hacked-up aux-in does, so it's how I listen to anything on my commute or whatever, and having it all on my phone means less crap to carry around.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Joe Don Baker posted:

A 16GB iPhone 3GS sounds to be exactly what you want.
Well, yeah, it's exactly what I want, but it would add ~$15 to my monthly bill and the phone itself is twice what I'd like to spend, unless I go with like a refurb 3G 8 gig. :(

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

• Country/Provider: US/AT&T

• Current contract status: None, I think.

• Budget (phone/plan): A little as possible

• Features I know I want: A good camera

My wife has had a Sony-Ericsson W760 for over two years, and it's falling apart, with random "Insert SIM" errors and restarts, and the battery is down to about a day between recharges. All she really wants is a phone with a good camera so she can take pictures of, I dunno, flowers and dogs I guess. It would be great if it was easy to use (most dumbphones I've used have poo poo interfaces, has that changed?) and had really good battery life - something that can go days (or weeks, is that possible?) without recharging.

We're on a family plan, and I just re-upped my contract to get an iPhone last July. I don't know if that means we're *both* under a new contract, or if it's just my line. We have 450 min shared, and 200 texts+unlimited data on my line for about $110/mo, and don't really want to spend more than that, but if we can switch providers, and upgrade me to a 4S, and get her something decent for about the same price, I'm open to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is doing heavy buybacks with the iPhone 4, I think its $200 for the 16GB. You could get way more on Ebay, point is you can switch and sell your iPhone to pay your $300 ish termination fee. You can get sprint eprp or a regular plan with a discount, bout $130 a month for 2 smart phones, unlimited call to mobile phones, unlimited text ABC unlimited internet. The iPhone 4 S is slowly getting back in stock sprint wise, so you should be able to find it.

For your wife: the 4s at $199, 4 at $99, nexus S at $99 evo 3D at $199 or epic touch at $199. Some stores can cut Android prices, iPhone prices are set in stone.
I appreciate the info on Sprint, but I guess I should have phrased the question more as "what's the best dumb phone that as close to free as possible?" My wife reallly doesn't want or need a smartphone. I mean, she doesn't even text more than a few times a month.