Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Country/Provider:

USA (Florida & Massachusetts)

Current contract status:

no contract (Trinidad & Tobago)

Budget (phone/plan):

$500 phone + $100/mo

Features I know I want:

FAST data service, BlackBerry, SMS, nationwide service. I want a next-gen BlackBerry. I need to purchase this on July 28th.

I'd strongly recommend the BlackBerry tour: it should be releasing for sale during this next week and will be available to US Sprint and Verizon customers.

Also recommended: Wait for just a few initial tech site reviews ( cnet.com / engadget.com / and hell even wsj.com and nyt tech reports) only to make sure it doesnt have some bitchass flaw that doesnt go well with your mobile use.

It should be a great device, especially for a BB lover. But the storm left me a little iffy on early love for what blackberry is pushing out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
No kidding Jam2

Your secret answer lies in reading this thread for 90 seconds OR picking a carrier that rhymes w/ brint. or is it bluh-blizon. I can't remember. i'm sorry.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

All Else Failed posted:

I've somewhat narrowed it down at this point... either looking to add a line to my girlfriend's plan and get an older enV with QWERTY and a $60 plan for unlimited text and 450 minutes as a cheaper method...

or

Getting an iPhone 3G or possibly 3Gs, unlocking it, and getting what looks like would be about a $75/mo plan for internet usage and unlimited talk and text. This would be obv. much more expensive.

Are either of these options very feasible or correct? I swear I have information overload from google and no one has replied to me in this thread yet. :(

The iphone is a kickass handset, but you're not gonna be using it on Verizon, Cricket, or Sprint in the US, no matter how much you unlock it. Totally unsupported frequencies.

Your choices for that are using it unlocked on a dogshit slow on T-Mobile edge connection (the 3g is not the same frequency) Or signing on with AT&T.

AT&T....... they're not total poo poo. But they sure are a letdown network wise compared to Sprint and Verizon.

If networks more your thing--try a phone on Sprint (everyone here loves them and they deserve the love for the network cheapness and awesomeness)

If you really wanna give the iphone a shot--it's great (i've used one for 2+ years) but keep an eye on that 30 day restocking fee. Cause you may end up paying it depending how flaccid at&t is in your area (Mine it's not so bad, but when i travel around--that poo poo can be ugly bad.)

Hope this helps.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Lord_Xar posted:

Thanks, that was an eye opener. I going to wait and see how people react to the Tour and then i'll decide. Anyone else have any imput? Are there viable solutions to cases for most phones that would allow me to bring it into the field and not ahve it destroyed in a day?

You could always stick an iPhone in an otterbox case. Bulky as hell but rugged as gently caress and waterproof IIRC.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Zengbo posted:

[*]Fast GPRS internet

Are you yankin' us? There's parts of China that have GPRS *only* and no EDGE at least? I guess it's not a huge jump but goddamn.

I'm gonna make a quiet prayer of thanks next time my phone waffles between EDGE and 3G and chooses 3G.

(PS: gently caress you carriers for rolling out hardware more capable than your networks even in metro areas. EDGE is gay as gently caress. In Colorado Metro: At&T + T-mo suck worst at this)

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Lord_Xar posted:

So i have pretty much come to picking between the Tour and Pre. For what I am looking for which do you guys think would fit my needs better?

I like both, though the Pre has a pretty lovely keyboard (some people are okay with it--I had a buddy that was trying to "get used to it", started getting quick on it, and then his hand was cramping up pretty bad).

He also went through 3 replacements on build quality / display issues. This was pretty widespread on the Pre at launch--dunno if it still is.

I'd say read a review on the Tour and see if it's your kinda thing. I've tried the keyboard and thought it was just about the best hard keyboard i'd ever used.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

If I were you, I'd cancel that Verizon plan right away (while you can do it for free) and get a Tour on Sprint's EPRP plan. It's 59.99/month including BlackBerry data, unlimited SMS, 500 minutes, GPS nav, and 7PM nights. You'll save $720 over Verizon throughout your two year contract.

You can get Sprint down to $52.50/month if you use the 25% credit union discount that anyone can qualify for, and you can get them down as low as $31/month per person if you have five people on your plan.

Seconding this in case you start to get lazy or decide to back down. Going Vzw to Sprint is a great way to save a shitfuckton of money with very little hit on coverage.

Also: gently caress Verizon for holding back phone functionality as the "innovative" way to gently caress over users. They pioneered this as a business tactic. gently caress Verizon and their Buddy Holly hipsterfaggot "network".

"Can you hear me loving you over *now*?"

(Also AT&T still sucks--but for different reasons.)

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

belle of my ballz posted:

I've been through the catalogue of phones in the last year
In chronological order, iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, Blackberry Curve, Nokia E71 and the Blackberry storm

I hated both blackberries, the storm in particular with a fiery passion

What I do : Site administration/webmaster, part time job that requires me to be able to be online 24/7, college student

My price range : Would like to keep it under 500$ but i'm willing to stretch if needed

Must be GSM and unlocked, i'm going under Rogers :canada: and don't want a contract with those guys

I'm now looking for a phone that does the following
Email, and does it well
Browser that is usable ( looking at you curve)
Syncs contacts with my Mac
Battery that lasts all day, as in I only need to charge once a day.
Preferably a built in/downloadable Bloomberg app as I check that many times a day and hate the .m site

I do lots of mobile browsing, email 10-20 a day, although it can be more at times.

My main candidates are the : Dream by HTC ( g1/g2)
iPhone 3g/s, don't really want to pay extra for the 3gs but convince me
Nokia E71

But i'm open to suggestions

It almost sounds like you're a bit indecisive in general. No offense. Thats just a crazy number of phones to go through in such a short span of time.

Browser: there is currently no better mobile browser than iPhone. At all. No one I know even bothers to debate this.

Email: I don't have crazy heavy email needs but I do know that a BB Bold or Tour has a bit of an edge on iPhone in this department.

Bloomberg / finance apps: iPhone. Unless you need something with mobile instant alerts for stock price points (even still , I'm certain you could find one that txts you these things)

Mobile network administration: Jailbroken iPhone can be an on the go remote terminal. Yes, winmo can also do this, but winmo is loving painful to use. Also AFAIK they don't have any phones currently as spec'd out and peppy as the 3GS' processor / RAM.

lastly: if would really help if you told us what you disliked about the previous iPhones you've owned. From there we can let you know if those issues have been fixed or if you'll just be disappointed in the device.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
I wonder what part of the globe you're in and what carrier you're speaking of -- this is the first I've ever heard of the 3GS having a pricier data plan than a 3g and I'm afraid you may have been given bad info.

What you're getting for the $100 in 3g -> 3gs is a snappier overall experience, video recording, and the ability to do things with the compass like special "augmented reality" apps (google it). Overall a pretty great upgrade for $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

* Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

* Current contract status: Done. Have been using a 400 daytime minutes plan and never got anywhere near using that up.

* Budget (phone/plan): Prefer a family plan for two for <= $100/mo. Willing to buy our own phones. I'd say $500 for the pool, but that's a stretch. It would be hard to motivate paying more than $250 individually for either phone. Depends on the long-term cost. I don't change phones so I have no problem riding a contract.

* Features I know I want: One phone can be whatever, really, but should be tolerable for texting. The other one would be my doodad. I want a qwerty keyboard, internet access, and GPS. It should be easy and free to develop my own software for the phone if I'm so inclined. I'm starting to understand all the texting stuff as I send more and more text messages, so I think I'd rather have basically mobile Internet. Still, the phone shouldn't be a massive brick. I have a Cingular 8125 right now and it annoys me. For multimedia all I might do is play mp3s if it can do it better than my Sansa.

I'm curious how I might be able save buying the phone up front. As I understand it, not getting tied to a contract means choice for moving on to a new phone or new provider right away, but I don't see how I could save if I was going to sit on the same phone and probably the same plan for awhile.

If you're serious about developing for smartphones: Go with an iphone or winmo device.

Winmo is an emergent market (and as far as I know, smaller than the iphone mobile app footprint)

I could be way off on this (totally gay for the iphone) but if you're worried about the developer fee, you can always test your chops in the jailbroke cydia world of apps (now more than ever a relevant community of grey market app developers)