Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

I'm on the fence between a Blackberry Bold and an iPhone. I have AT&T Wireless. Anymore, it seems the people at my local store have become corporate drones and won't do anything but sales-pitch the gently caress out of the Blackberry, presumably because they don't carry the iPhone at that specific store. I just want the truth about these products without a bias.

A bit of background: I'm a professional vocalist who not only has to maintain a schedule of gigs for money, but also a schedule for my original project(s). On top of all that, I'm going to be a senior in college and I have homework/gigs for that (I study voice in school as well). So I've been looking for a phone that can manage multiple calendars, have alarms/reminders, etc. I run all Mac computers and currently manage my scheduling/communications with iCal & Apple Mail/Address Book, so I'd need something that will easily sync up. I also use social networking sites (facebook, twitter, myspace, etc.) to promote myself as an original artist, which I would love to be able to access on my phone since I've been finding less and less time to really sit down and promote via internet means.

The other concern of mine is cost. The BlackBerry plan AND device seems to cost less than the iPhone (the latter of which is $30/mo for data plus whatever it costs for SMS, while the BlackBerry's data plan is a few dollars cheaper per month), but with the BlackBerry I have to purchase another $9.99/mo service from AT&T in order to use GPS. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the iPhone have a GPS built-in? Will I still need to pay monthly for that GPS service, or is it included with the rest of the unlimited data plan?

So goons, which should I pick?

Pick the iPhone even though I like the Bold better. The BlackBerry data also costs $30 a month like the iPhone. You don't have to pay $10 a month for AT&T's repackaged TeleNav but you cna use Google Maps. TeleNav is voice nav while voice nav on the iPhone needs xGPS which is a jailbreak program. Voice nav will be supported in 3.0 IIRC. The Facebook app for BlackBerry absolutely sucks compared to the iPhone FB app. Plus Macs and BlackBerrys don't play nice anyways. The iPhone will sync with Apple products well, so get the iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

The G1's a pretty horrible deal on T-Mobile, especially if they haven't bothered deploying 3G in your area yet. You'll be paying them +$25/month for EDGE data and a meager 400 SMS bundle just for the privilege of owning a G1.

Your cheapest bet would be to scrape an iPhone 2G off of eBay and try following this advice to get T-Mobile's discontinued +$5.99/month data plan plopped onto your account. I did this briefly early last year and it worked alright, aside from T-Mobile's EDGE network being slow and erratic as hell (but it's EDGE, so what the gently caress do you expect, right?).

Sorry to hear you're stuck with T-Mobile for the next 14 months. When you're finally out of contract, remember, go AT&T if you care about cool phones and go Sprint if you care about price and a bigger 3G footprint.

Except T-Mobile is the cheapest of the 4 major carriers when it comes to pricing (with the exception of the Sprint EPRP plan.) My BlackBerry plan is $20 for tethering and unlimited data. On AT&T, it would cost me $60 for both. Unfortunately T-Mobile decided to raise smartphone data plans $5 without a 3G smartphone that isn't the G1 yet. And I don't even know if they allow tethering anymore in the ToS for the BlackBerry plans.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

T-Mobile's cheaper for voice minutes if that's all you're looking for, and a BlackBerry data plan with tethering can't be purchased for +$20/month anymore (and is also a better value under EPRP, as you mentioned). Then again if you're a BlackBerry customer in the first place, you've clearly got factors other than "getting the best deal" motivating your choices, which is also fine.

AT&T sells a +$15/month or +$10/month 3G data option that works with unlocked phones. T-Mobile does not. AT&T wins for many people because of this.

+$25/month for T-Mobile's data + 400 SMS plan in a market where UMTS isn't deployed is blind robbery, and you know that.

I don't remember the $10 data plan on AT&T but I certainly know about the $15 MediaNET. T-Mobile also sells BES for $30 per month compared to AT&T's $45 per month.

Also, you got t-zones last year because t-zones was still offered when you got it on your plan. t-zones is discontinued for a 100 MB package which was a stupid decision by T-Mobile. And yes, I know that $25 for T-Mobile's data on the G1 is a ripoff without 3G but so is the iPhone 3G's without 3G.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

wormil posted:

I dropped my SE580i and the camera no longer work, worse, the phone locks up if you hit the camera button.

Carrier t-mobile, family plan

features I want:
gets good reception
needs to be loud, I have a hearing defect, speaker is a plus
good camera
easy to text
very good battery life
occasionally I use the calendar or alarm
not interested in Blackberry because I don't want to pay for a separate plan
like to stay around $200 new or used

any recommendations

Get the Nokia E63. The camera is bad but it's a good phone otherwise. You don't have to pay for a data plan and you have Wi-Fi so you could access the Internet (within Wi-Fi.) It's $150 on Amazon right now.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

Phone/Service Recommendation:

# Country/Provider: USA/no preference

# Current contract status: none

# Budget (phone/plan): Unknown (I do not have a fixed limitation on budget, but I would like to get a decent deal for the features I require)

# Features I know I want:
Voice clarity, POP3 email, Instant Messaging (Yahoo/AIM), SSH client.
- I will make/receive very few phone calls.
- I will need to have the phone check Yahoo IM/AIM at all times, and notify me of new messages.
- I will need the phone to check three POP3 email accounts at all times, and notify me of new messages, if possible.

(I have no need for cameras, MP3, video, GPS, web browsing, editing documents, etc.
This will be a voice/email/IM business phone)

Sprint EPRP for $60 which includes unlimited data and unlimited texts with 600 minutes IIRC. Check the Sprint thread for more info on EPRP. Then get a Pre when it comes out. SSH should be coming soon for the Pre. If you're impatient on the SSH client and you're willing to deal with the terrible Windows Mobile, get the Touch Pro. WM can do everything you throw at it but instability is its major problems.

E: Made some changes.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 2, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Lobster Maneuver posted:

• Country/Provider:
    USA/Verizon, although I'm willing to change providers.

• Current contract status:
    Family plan, but as above I am willing to change.

• Budget (phone/plan):
    Phone can be any cost within reason, but I would prefer not to be on a data plan.

• Features I know I want:
    Wireless internet
    Some way of playing MP3s, preferably with microSD card input or something similar.
    E-mail and Google calendar support

I'm going off to grad school. Since campus is going to be inundated with wireless internet, I'd like to save on costs by not getting a data plan and getting a phone that can use wifi. Thing is, I don't know what phones have wireless capability, and I can't seem to find a good resource by googling. I've been using an iPod Touch for the last year, and it's done everything I could want, except make phone calls, so I'm just looking for something that can combine the Touch with my phone. It seems like this would obviously steer me towards an iPhone, but I'd like to ask you guys if there are any cheaper or Verizon-friendly options that I'm overlooking.

Verizon's Wi-Fi phones require you to get data. Go with a EPRP plan from Sprint, more details in the Sprint thread about EPRP and grab a Pre. You won't have microSD support but you have the luxury of a good OS, one that isn't WM. The EPRP plan is $60 a month for unlimited texts, unlimited data and around 600 minutes from what I recall.

E: The Pre has a 3.5mm jack so you don't have to fiddle around with HTC's silly ExtUSB port for music if you got a Touch Pro instead of the Pre.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 7, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Das Volk, the X1 should be fine. The Nokia N97 is another great phone. It has a keyboard, a great camera, and GPS. They both have shoddy keyboards in comparison to the Touch Pro but the camera is worlds ahead of the Touch Pro and the miserable camera on the iPhone 3G. The N97 has a better camera than the X1. The e-mail I'm not too sure about on the N97 but it should support what you need. If you get the X1, go to xda-developers and flash a ROM on it. That makes sure that you don't end up beating the X1 to death out of frustration because of lag and slowdown.

E: I saw your thread and if you're willing to wait, get a BlackBerry Tour on Verizon. Your call issues should then be solved for good as Verizon has the best network and AT&T's network can be pretty bad regarding dropped calls.

Prosthetic_Mind, the data plan for you is $15 MediaNET. The cost is lowered to $10 per line if you are going to have unlimited texting and the data plan. Now the data plan description says that it's supposed to be only for regular phones, but you can use it on any unbranded smartphone. You can also tether with this plan. For the phone, I recommend getting a Nokia E71. It's under $300 now and it's a great phone. Do not get the E71x that's offered by AT&T as that uses the $30 data plan which will also require you to pay $30 more for tethering. Get an unbranded E71 from Amazon. The E71 has great battery life for a 3G smartphone and S60 is a good, powerful OS.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 17, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I appreciate your assistance, but I'd need something I can get included with the cell phone plan. My parents have offered to cover the actual plan, but anything extra for the phones comes out of my pocket, and being a full time college student doesn't give me a whole lot of pocket money. How about focusing on something that is significantly cheaper and supports tethering and 3g?

As it is my 4 year old computer is slowly falling apart and I'm saving up everything I can to upgrade it before it decides that it doesn't want to boot anymore, so I really can't spare anything outside of 70 or so dollars outside the plan.

As kalibar said, get an iPhone 3G or 3GS. Keep the data plan on long enough so you can activate and jailbreak. Or you just take the data plan off after you get home from the Apple store and just sell it BNIB. BNIB will get you $25-$30 extra. iPhones hold their resale value very well (look at the iPhone 2G still fetching $250 being 2 years old). No other phone on AT&T will fetch you as much money, not even the Bold. Use the money Out of the iPhones, the 3GS is preferable. Just get the 16 GB 3GS and you'll get $450-$500. You can get an N97 if you bought a 32 GB 3GS but the N97 would be overkill for your needs. After you got a 16 GB 3GS sold, you will have $100-$175 leftover after your device purchase of a E71, N85 or N95. The folks in the S60 thread can help you out on deciding which of the 3 to get. And remember, do not get the E71x. It's been crippled a bit from the original E71 and you will have to pay $60 for what you want data-wise instead of the $15 ($10 with unlimited texts) for what you want data-wise.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Irish Thunder posted:

Would the E71 be my best bet too? I don't seem to see the similar data and messaging options for an individual using their 450 minute plan.

Any smartphone on Verizon will require a $30 data plan and some of their feature phones like the Dare require $15 a month data plans. I can't verify the higher-end feature phone one. If all you care about is QWERTY, then an enV3 should suit you. But if you want a little more from your phone, go to T-Mobile and get the Individual 1000 or 600 (600 has nights and weekends, 1000 has no nights and weekends). After that, add 300 messages ($5) to you plan. Then add the $9.99 web2go. The web2go will work on any phone and will work on the E71. Bear in mind that you won't be getting 3G on the E71 if 3G is available in your area. The total should come out to $46.75 with your discount before taxes. The phone you should get is the E71 but the N85 is another good alternative.

Prosthetic_Mind, that's pretty much what you should do. You can sell the iPhone on SA-Mart or eBay.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Not a joke post, I have no idea how good any of the carriers are as most people I know say "They all suck, you are screwed no matter who you choose" or "Eh, it works." Well I know to stay away from net10 and Criket.

As for T-Mobile, they do not cover the area I live in unfortunately. Alltel was nice too but got bought by Verizon. Virgin looked good too but was not as cheap as AT&T.

And the Nokia 5800 is nice but really more than I need. Besides, wouldn't the SIM card I get from AT&T be programed for the phone I bought from them or do they not care so long as I pay? In that case would I just buy some ultra cheap phone and switch out the card or could I just buy the SIM card?

The SIM card be used in any unlocked GSM phone or any AT&T phone. Yes, you can buy a cheap phone and switch the card out.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

second best sponge posted:

I want a helio ocean 2 but I don't want to pay $400 for it. Will someone recommend me a similar phone that I can check my gmail from and has GPS enables google maps? I don't need a lot of talk minutes, unlimited data and texting would be super awesome.

I live in the united states
I have no current cell phone plan
I would like to pay less than $100 a month for service
I would like to pay less than $400 for a phone itself

Dear god, this is 2009, not 2006, so why the hell would you want a Helio?

Do what kalibar said. Except I would change it around to buying the iPhone first and after you've got it sold, get the 5800. Another alternative to the 5800 is the Nokia E71. The E71 has a full QWERTY keyboard, not that awful excuse of an on-screen keyboard on the 5800. It's also got GPS and is still one of the best smartphones out on the market. The E71 goes for $300, but I consider it to be better than the 5800 so it would be worth it to me.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

* Country/Provider: Currently Tmobile
* Current contract status: Paying month to month
* Budget (phone): $200 or less
* Features I know I want: Full keyboard (or at least blackberry style keyboard, don't know the term), the rest doesn't matter a ton to me.

I've been using tmobile for about 3 years with an old nokia 6010 ( I believe ). I've been using a very cheap plan (50ish after taxes), but have recently been getting walloped as my social life has picked up some steam because my texting has shot through the roof (150-200 three months in a row. I'm now ready to go to unlimited plans, and it looks like the Sprint EPRP is by far the best one to go with. I don't really need/want a smartphone, but I figure since the Sprint plan has unlimited data, I should take advantage of that, as I assume smartphones are going to work best for web browsing. What phones should I be looking at? The HTC Touch Pro gets mentioned a lot in here, but it's still very expensive from Sprint. Right now I'm thinking I should wait for the Touch Pro 2 to come out, and hope that it's the same price as the current TP and get it, or hope the TP gets discounted.

If you want the Touch Pro, it's not going to be cheap. Devices like the Touch Pro (high-end HTC WM slideout QWERTYs) have always been highly priced and they always will be. You can get a Touch Pro for Sprint with a clean ESN for $270-$310 off of eBay instead of Sprint's $300 after a $100 MIR if you buy direct from them. I recommend going to the Touch Pro thread here in Cellphone Shack and read about flashing ROMs. New ROMs make WM devices usable.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not necessarily after the Touch Pro. I'm essentially looking for a non-Blackberry or Iphone that I can use with Sprint's plan (which rules out Nokia as well, I believe), and what's most important to me is the typing, with web browsing second.

The iPhone will never work on Sprint, Sprint uses CDMA and the iPhone is GSM. Same with Nokia. The Treo Pro may work for you. It's $200 after a $100 MIR. So you'll walk out of the store paying $300 for the Treo Pro. But I would go with the Touch Pro off of eBay because the Touch Pro has the best keyboard out of any non-BlackBerry device on Sprint. Plus it being a HTC WM device guarantees it third-party support for quite a while (xda-developers). I would just bite the bullet now, spend an extra $100 and get the Touch Pro. It's a great device.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

moloo posted:

Iphone 3G or Iphone 3G S... My 72 year old Grandfather needs to know...

My grandfather decided he needs a new phone. He wants navigation and the ability to tether to a laptop (which he doesn't yet have) for internet access on the road.

I know the Iphone 3G can be tethered to a laptop if jailbroken, but it doesn't have the new compass feature. I originally thought the 3G S would have native tethering ability but that seems not to be the case. Money isn't really an issue here, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to have him buy an Iphone 3G S and wait for it to be jailbroken (which would probably be the same time that he buys a laptop). Or is the compass feature of the 3G S somewhat stupid and he should just get a iphone 3G?

Nokia N85 with JoikuSpot Premium. I don't recommend the E71 or 5800 because they're a bit irregular compared to the N85 and your grandfather may dislike that. Also, get the $15 MediaNET plan for him. It'll allow tethering.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fetko posted:

I'm currently on the Sprint SERO $30/mo plan with a slowly dying mogul. I'm out of my contract and trying to decide what to do next. My two choices right now are switch to ATT and go iphone 3g s or hold out with my SERO plan and hope the htc touch pro 2 comes out soon AND can be used on SERO (not holding my breath on that.)

So, I guess I have a couple questions. Is there a way to bring down the $90/mo iphone plan with 450 minutes and unlimited text/data? I can live with it, but it seems like a big jump each month over SERO. Is there any information about the touch pro 2 for sprint yet? I'd rather not wait 3 months to just find out that I can't use it on SERO anyway...

Employer discounts, AT&T can give out good discounts but not the hefty ones that I've seen Verizon give. I don't recommend using the iPhone on anything but the $30 iPhone data plan because AT&T works in mysterious ways and shuts off your data if you're caught using the $10/$15 MediaNET plan.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

powderific posted:

• Country/Provider: USA -- AT&T right now, wouldn't mind moving to someone else besides T-Mobile (they have very few towers here)

• Current contract status: Up in October, currently on an unlocked Nokia 6300

• Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone (a little more if unlocked or really snazzy), hoping to stay under/around the $74 I'm paying all-in at ATT

• Features I know I want: Responsive/attractive UI; solid, well designed hardware; good web browsing; Qwerty keyboard or excellent on-screen version thereof; a good number of applications

First, a bit of my phone history: Sony Ericsson T610, K750i, w580i, and now a Nokia 6300. I absolutely adored both Sony cadybars and wish I still had the K750i. The w580i's hardware wasn't so hot: the slider got loose pretty quick and some keys stopped working properly after less than 6 months. The Nokia's hardware has been great, but the interface is slow and ugly compared that of the Sonys.

I'd probably be really happy with another Sony candybar phone, but I feel a bit silly spending ~$250 on a regular old phone just because I like the design and interface so much. So I've decided to make the jump to a smartphone of some kind or another. My main reasons for moving to a smartphone: better web experience, more applications to tinker with, easier text input than traditional T9, and a prettier/faster interface.

I'm looking at:

• Palm Pre on contract- I've been following it since the announcement and love WebOS, but I'm concerned that the hardware won't last (I'm especially worried about the slider mechanism). I'd also have to make the jump over to Sprint, which wouldn't be too bad if the Pre lasts through my contract, except I might need to bump up to a more expensive plan than I'm on now since they don't have rollover minutes and 450 on the lowest everything plan isn't quite enough.
  • Unlocked Nokia E71 - Nice looking, solid phone. My main concern is that I'll again be stuck with an ugly Nokia interface. I don't really understand how the various flavors of S60 work and whether the available applications are any good.
  • ???

I'd like to hear any recommendations, particularly on the S60 devices side as I'm not very familiar with those.

The E71 is your best bet here. It's got a nice QWERTY. It also has a quite different interface than S40 on your 6300. The E71 also has a ton of apps being that it's an S60 device. If you want some app recommendations, then go to the S60 thread. The build quality on the E71 is excellent. I would choose the E71 because it's a great device on a mature platform. Unfortunately you really can't upgrade your device's software OS with big features because at Nokia, if you want the newest upgrade, it's time to buy a new Nokia.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

nature6pk, the 8900 would be best for you. Rogers/Fido has crippled the G1 compared to the T-Mobile USA version of it. The 8900 has a 3.5mm jack, meaning that you don't have to screw around with some silly adapter to use headphones. There's no A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) in the G1 so the only way to use headphones is use the terrible ones in-box or get an adapter. Also, if you use a non-Gmail account the G1 is poo poo for that. The 8900 will also last you through a day on the battery even with streaming radio playing for 2-3 hours. The BlackBerry platform is mature and there's a good number of apps for it. Look in the new BlackBerry thread for app suggestions.

Dicker, don't get another Sidekick. They're phones stuck back in 2006/2007. The iPhone 3G and 3GS will work on T-Mobile's network but you'll be stuck on EDGE because they don't support T-Mobile's 3G bands. The phones that would be best foryou are the BlackBerry Bold and the 3G S. It all boils down to whether you need the phsyical keyboard. The Bold's keyboard is the best on the market or at least one of the top 5 keyboards. It'll meet all your requirements and it'll sync with Macs. You'll have to find a friend's PC though to do OS upgrades which is highly recommended because the OS that ships on the Bold with AT&T is very outdated now. But just upgrade to 4.6.0.282 and you'll be fine for quite a while until OS 5.0 comes out. If you don't need a physical keyboard, get the 3G S.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Questions to answer to get your perfect phone:

- Have you tried the G1 yet? My Sidekick entrenched buddy upgraded to this and has never been happier. The app selection and dev support has been paltry, however.

- Can you endure network issues for more apps and a better UI / hardware? iPhone 3G S then. On AT&T. You can't get 3G on the iphone unlocking it and taking it to US T-Mobile.

- Visit a Sprint store and do some test typing on the Pre keyboard for as long as you care to. Some people can adapt to the teeny keyboard... I found it really clumsy. I hope they put a kickass soft keyboard on this as soon as possible. The Sprint network is also top tier, second to only Verizon in the US.

- Are you a 14 year old girl? Do not buy another Sidekick--nothing progressive or interesting in the pipeline. Was a solid casual smartphone for its day: crap now when sized up to the rest.

This should lead you to your new (hopefully perfect for you) phone! Let us know what you end up with.

The MyTouch 3G is the HTC Magic, which is better than the G1 if he could live without the keyboard and he's pretty much saying that he could live without the keyboard because he's considering an iPhone.

Pain of Mind, look into the Nokia E63. It's a reliable phone that also has a QWERTY to make texting easier and you'll have Wi-Fi to use with applications and to web browsing. If you choose to add the data plan, it's only an extra $15 a month. It's a solid phone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

evensevenone posted:

Can I buy an AT&T PAYG phone, take out its SIM card, and use it with a T-mobile contract? My girlfriend broke her phone (still has the SIM) and still has a year left on her contract and I don't have any GSM phones to give her.

No, because it would be locked to AT&T. You can do the same with a T-Mobile prepaid phone and it will actually work.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Exuus, the Nokia E71 or E75 are the best for you. They both have full QWERTY keyboards, GPS and Wi-Fi for web browsing. The E75 has a better camera, a 3.5mm jack and it's newer than the E71 but it'll probably be more expensive.

Thirteenth Step, I can't really help you because I don't know what the UK prices are for most phones but the Nokia N85 sounds like a good phone for you. It has GPS, Wi-Fi for Internet browsing and a great camera. If the N85 isn't in your price range, get the N82 which has a better camera with a Xenon flash instead of dual-LEDs and it has Wi-Fi and GPS too.

Odelle, get AT&T. Then follow these instructions.
  • Sign up for AT&T service and get an iPhone 3G S or an iPhone 3G if you can't get the 3G S because of price, but keep in mind that the 3G S will net you more money. Get the Nation 450 plan ($39.99).
  • Open the box and jailbreak it the iPhone 3G/3G S.
  • If you got the 3G, unlock it with ultrasn0w.
  • Put the iPhone back in the box and put it up for sale.
  • Call AT&T to get the iPhone data plan removed from your account, tell them that you sold your iPhone.
  • Use the funds from your iPhone sale to get a nice S60 phone.

Now you should have approximately $400-$500 for an iPhone 3G unlocked, $550-$600+ for an iPhone 3G S 16 GB and a 32 GB 3G S will get you around $750. I recommend getting a 3G S 16 GB. With the money from your iPhone sale, get the Nokia E71. Do not buy the E71x from AT&T as it won't work with what you're going to do. The E71 has a QWERTY for texting, GPS, and Wi-Fi for improved web browsing speeds. Add the Messaging and Data Unlimited to your Nation 450 plan. If AT&T asks for an IMEI, use the one from your SE phone. Then plop your SIM card in your E71 and you have unlimited texts, data and 450 minutes for only $70! The E71 only costs $255 from Dell after this coupon code (65G7RQ11J?M2LH).

Dallan Invictus, the Magic should be better for you. You can just go to xda-developers and they'll port the Hero's upgrades to the Magic soon. I'm not sure if there's a root done for the Magic yet but there should be one. You can do custom themes, install apps to your SD card and tether with a root. I remember also being able to hack the browser to make it multi-touch. The iPhone has a slightly better keyboard and both phones have the same browsing experience. The Magic should get Flash soon, probably after a custom ROM from xda-developers.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Noctone posted:

Do you see your mistake here?

I didn't respond to him. It's you that made the mistake.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

Cool! Thanks for that! But I know this is judging a book by it's cover a bit but I remember about a year or so ago the N series was completely poo poo, slow, sluggish, freeze-prone phones. Has the N series changed over the last year or so? is it better now? Becuase that phone sounds just what I need!

Edit: the N79 looks great too :)

The N85 and N79 are newer models which aren't as prone to slowdowns and crashing because of more memory. The N79 is a good phone if you're a hardcore bar person but normally I just recommend the N85 because it's an improved N95.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

They're sold out? poo poo! I'm switching to at&t in two weeks. I hear they're selling for like $800. I want massive profits :(

There should be iPhones when you sign up for AT&T. Why are you moving to AT&T? Got sick of Nokia ignoring T-Mobile in regards to 3G S60 phones?

Jam2, call your current carrier's customer service and ask for an unlock code. If they ask you for a reason, tell them you're going on an international trip. If you can't get an unlock code from them, go to Horizon Wireless and they should be able to give you an unlock code (for a price). AT&T is the best carrier for your Bold because they're the only carrier that the Bold's 3G will work on. Cheap SMS doesn't really exist if you want unlimited. AT&T does unlimited texts for $20, T-Mobile for $15. I'm not sure about the CDMA carriers. BlackBerry service is $30 across all carriers except for T-Mobile which has $25 for BIS + tethering. It's $35 for BIS + tethering + unlimited texting. I recommend going with AT&T so you'll get 3G.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MC Skrills, your best bet would be to find a Rogers Magic or Dream. The Dream is a G1 with 850/1900 3G so the 3G will work on AT&T. They will have AT&T 3G and I believe they have the ability to get rooted so you can get rid of the Rogers junk on the phone. I saw a Rogers Dream on HowardForum's BST section for $300 CAD, so you should be fine on that one. I recommend though to buy an iPhone 3G S 32 GB and sell it on eBay for $700-$750 so that you're able to pay for the Magic/Dream and still have some change left. Follow the instructions that I've said to another guy in this post, but replace S60 phone with Rogers Dream/MagicBut at that range, you can get a Diamond 2 but the current Diamond 2s don't have US 3G support.

K, buy up an old SERO plan. $30 for unlimited data and texting, but I can't remember the amount of minutes on the SERO plan. For the phone, a Centro could work. Yes, it's a smartphone but it's simple even though it's ancient in the mobile world. If you want to stay far, far away from smartphones, get a Rant. I've heard it's a good phone.

Zombie Food, buy a SERO plan. $30 for unlimited data and texting plus a few hundred voice minutes. I can't remember the specific amount. It'll cost you about $75-$100 for the plan but it's well worth it over those poo poo carriers that you're deciding over. For the phone, get a Mogul. They should be going for the phone budget you've set for yourself. Go to xda-developers and look in the Titan section, and flash a ROM to your phone. Custom ROMs from xda-developers are the only way to make WM phones really work.

Inconspicuous, get a regular AT&T contract and get the Nation 450 plan. Now follow these instructions.

• Sign up for AT&T service and get an iPhone 3G S or an iPhone 3G if you can't get the 3G S because of price, but keep in mind that the 3G S will net you more money. Get the Nation 450 plan ($39.99).
  • Open the box and jailbreak it the iPhone 3G/3G S.
  • If you got the 3G, unlock it with ultrasn0w.
  • Put the iPhone back in the box and put it up for sale.
  • Call AT&T to get the iPhone data plan removed from your account, tell them that you sold your iPhone.
  • Use the funds from your iPhone sale to get a nice S60 phone.

The 16 GB 3G S should do. The phone that you should get is the Nokia E71. It's a great phone with a QWERTY. S60 phones are simple but they'll do the things that smartphones do (S60 phones are smartphones). For the international calling, get Skype Unlimited for $30 a year and install Skype or Fring to use Skype. The plan you should use is the Nation 450 plan with Data and Texts Unlimited. You now have a great phone with unlimited texts and data for $70!

E: gave more advice

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 4, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

StuntDouble, make sure the phone that you're buying has a clean ESN. You can't activate the phone if the ESN is broke or something like that (can't remember the term for it). So contact the seller of the phone and make sure the ESN is clean.

Bushibytes, the best option for you would be to buy an unlocked Dream and see if there's a GSM prepaid provider in Canada. An unlocked Dream allows you to use the phone on any GSM provider. That should cover you. You'll be able to use the Dream's data over Wi-Fi and not have to get raped by Ted Robbers. I personally think that it's a bit foolish to spend $500-$600 on a phone and use it on a cheap plan, but you're the person who's using the phone. So get an unlocked Dream and use it on a GSM prepaid provider. Also, a T-Mobile G1 unlocked can also do because you won't be using 3G since you're doing your data over Wi-Fi primarily.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Just to throw it out there: most all of the US celly companies let you mess around w/ a new phone for the first 30 days without contract (lest the iphone, which carries a restock fee of about $20 USD )

What I mean to say is, despite some of the Nokia and winmo hardons in this thread for cheaping out on a hock-and-walk plan: TRY THE GOOD NEW PHONES.

The Pre.

The G1.

The iphone.

The BlackBerry Bold

The.... no i think those are the best phones out. Give them a go in your area. Try 'em., see if they work for you. See if the featureset is worth the extra cash. Don't just go w/ the E71 or a touchpro cause it's the cheapest piece of plastic you can own (unless you're extraordinarily cheap. In which case, jesus, buy a cheap as gently caress pay-as-you-go and a netbook. )

The G1 is a bad value. T-Mobile thinks that they're a big boy carrier, so they start charging $25 for data starting with the G1 with their almost non-existent 3G footprint. I've got T-Mobile 3G and full bars of it, but I dare not recommend the G1 because T-Mobile is a terrible value. Now if they went back to the old $20 for data, then I'd actually be able to recommend the G1. The Pre is a plasticky piece of crap after the software with a tiny, cramped keyboard. If a keyboard is smaller than my Curve 8900's then it is too small.

The iPhone is great, but most people would prefer to not pay a $30/month plan. The Bold is also a great phone and I have a hard-on for BlackBerrys, but I don't recommend it to anybody because BlackBerry plans are a ripoff. I use a BlackBerry because the Curve 8320 was the only phone worth buying on T-Mobile when I bought it and $20 for BIS + tethering is an incredible value. I also need RIM's push services for e-mail.

Steinbeck posted:

See if the featureset is worth the extra cash.

Let's look at the phones that you've told to "try out and see if the featureset is worth the extra cash". The Pre on EPRP is cheaper per month than the standard AT&T that's recommended around here but the problem is the build quality on the Pre. The G1 can be had on AT&T, just get a Rogers Dream and you also have 3G that works in most major cities in the U.S. The Bold is great and beats any other phone for messaging, but most people don't need the e-mail capabilities of the Bold and the E71 should work just as fine for them. The iPhone is great, but it's not really worth the $30/month plan to most of the people that come in here for a recommendation. They're just looking for a smartphone and a cheap plan, not $90/month total for features that would cost them only $70/month with a voice plan.

I personally will not recommend the 5800 or N97 because the N97 is way overpriced and I'd rather recommend a WM phone such as the TP2. The 5800 is S60 touchscreen beta and I won't push phones that are in a beta stage.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Nada. This is my first USA cell plan

# Budget (phone/plan): $600 phone, $100/mo plan that includes data

# Features I know I want: not rape and/or slavery.

Is there any potential downside to buying the BlackBerry Bold on contract as opposed to purchasing it at the no commitment price, other than the $175 termination fee? The Bold is $550 at no commitment price. If I sign up for a two year contract, I get $150 off and an additional $100 mail-in rebate.

I do not want to be in AT&T's pocket.

You've said before that you have a Bold, so get it unlocked if you haven't already. Save your money and use that. There really isn't a better phone than the Bold except for the iPhone 3GS if you want something new, get the 3GS. If you can't deal with the iPhone for reasons, stick with the Bold that you already have.

Lord_Xar posted:

So i have pretty much come to picking between the Tour and Pre. For what I am looking for which do you guys think would fit my needs better?

Tour because it has quad-band GSM and international GSM 3G (2100). The Tour has a great hard keyboard. I can't wait for the BlackBerry Driftwood (code name) because the keyboard isn't cramped like my 8900's. The Tour is the size of a Curve 8330 except it's a little bit taller. The Pre has a nice size, but its keyboard is atrocious. Honestly, I'd rather give up the Pre's keyboard for a larger screen because that keyboard is just that bad. The BlackBerry platform is nice and mature. So take the Tour, it's nearly the best BlackBerry RIM has ever created (Bold is still ahead because it has Wi-Fi).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Also: gently caress Verizon for holding back phone functionality as the "innovative" way to gently caress over users. They pioneered this as a business tactic. gently caress Verizon and their Buddy Holly hipsterfaggot "network".

"Can you hear me loving you over *now*?"

(Also AT&T still sucks--but for different reasons.)

Oh boy, Verizon loves to cripple. They cripple GPS on their smartphones so you can't use the built-in GPS with Google Maps, you'll have to use VZNavigator which sucks beyond belief. And you have to pay $10/month for that lovely navigation app also.

All carriers suck. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. Verizon is also overpriced. AT&T's 3G seems to be mediocre. T-Mobile's 3G is still a bit sparse and there are little 3G smartphones. My 3G BlackBerry from T-Mobile looks to be still a few months away. Plus the subsidized phone pricing sucks beyond belief compared to Asian and European carriers. It's $250 or something like that for a Bold (can't look up exact figures because I'm posting from my Curve 8900) on AT&T on a 2-year contract while it's maybe £50 max on a carrier in the UK and that contract is 18 months.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

OtspIII posted:

Depending on what response I get I'll post a more full-bodied/formal description of my situation, but it might not even be necessary.

I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry Storm, but I heard a lot of bad things about it crashing/having a mediocre interface/not many apps when it first came out. Other than just basic phone stuff all I really want is to be able to gently caress around on AIM/Facebook/Twitter without constant crashing. If things have improved at all since the Storm came out I'll probably go with it.

The Storm certainly has improved leaps and bounds from the launch where it was bug-ridden because VZW and Vodafone rushed it. It still is inferior to the MyTouch 3G and iPhone and some WM touchscreen devices (Diamond 2). So I'll second Tour + Sprint EPRP. The Tour is amazing, it's the best BlackBerry crafted so far. And EPRP is great, $60/month for unlimited texts, unlimited data and 550 minutes.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

appleskates posted:

Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: I have AT&T but that's not really important...

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap, please

Features I know I want: Just basic service, texting maybe, no frills.

I need to get my almost 10 year old a phone for when she is at her dad's house and for after school. My cell service is with AT&T, but it's on my dad's company's plan and that's not really an option here, so I will be paying for this one (thus the need for cheap.) Basically all I need is a sturdy, affordable, possibly pre-paid phone. I know very little about pre-paid service, is it a bad idea? I highly doubt she will use the phone to just call her buddies, as she's not really into that stage yet. I have looked at the websites for Best Buy and Wal-Mart, and there are some REALLY cheap pay-as-you-go phones, but are there any hidden costs there? Would I be better off just signing up for a plan, and if so - which kind?

Thanks for the help!

T-Mobile To Go or whatever they call their prepaid service. Buy a $100 card, it's active for 1 year. Then when the year is up near to being up, buy another $100 card.

Steinbeck posted:

It almost sounds like you're a bit indecisive in general. No offense. Thats just a crazy number of phones to go through in such a short span of time.

Browser: there is currently no better mobile browser than iPhone. At all. No one I know even bothers to debate this.

Email: I don't have crazy heavy email needs but I do know that a BB Bold or Tour has a bit of an edge on iPhone in this department.

Bloomberg / finance apps: iPhone. Unless you need something with mobile instant alerts for stock price points (even still , I'm certain you could find one that txts you these things)

Mobile network administration: Jailbroken iPhone can be an on the go remote terminal. Yes, winmo can also do this, but winmo is loving painful to use. Also AFAIK they don't have any phones currently as spec'd out and peppy as the 3GS' processor / RAM.

lastly: if would really help if you told us what you disliked about the previous iPhones you've owned. From there we can let you know if those issues have been fixed or if you'll just be disappointed in the device.

If you want to see people go through ridiculous amounts of phones, go to HoFo. One guy there has had 2+ Bolds, 2 8900s and a few iPhones. The iPhone isn't too bad when hooked up to an Exchange server, but if your company has a BES, BlackBerry is a ton better. belle of my ballz, the iPhone 3GS would be the best option for you with a jailbreak.

Rascyc posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

# Current contract status: Company plan; I pay zilch. No data plan though and really no option of getting one (nor do I want one on this particular phone).

# Budget (phone/plan): I want to buy an unlocked phone (Up to $400 or so) that belongs to my name; I have permission to do this, I just need to pick something that's compatible. In particular, I want to keep the phone after I leave the company.

# Features I know I want: I think an N85 or a N5800 fits what I want based on previous posts.

What I'm worried about is whether or not I will be able to properly swap the SIM card into the unlocked phone without any fuss. It's the assumption that at the end of my contract, I will turn the SIM over back to the company and I will be left with my unlocked Nokia. At this point, I assume I'm free to jump on any contract plan that I so desire.

Is this making sense? Am I safe to buy an N85 or a N5800 even without the data plan on my SIM? I contemplated doing the 3GS phone flip, but I'd rather not mix those affairs with my company SIM.

[edit]Actually, I can probably just flip an iphone after I leave the company and get back to AT&T.

Anything but the 5800. It's not as bad as the N97 because the N97 is a ridiculously priced device but you still have the terrible S60v5. Get the N85 or the E71. The E71 is if you do lots of texting (1000+ texts per month) or do lots of e-mailing. Otherwise, get the N85.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

I live in the United States and I have Verizon. I am moving to Germany and want to get a prepaid plan with T-mobile. I just talked to a T-Mobile rep and he told me that I should just come to Germany with a phone and that they can just program it to work for their German network. I want to make sure I can get a phone that works. Do you guys know any Verizon phones that will work in Germany and for T-Mobile Deutschland?

EDIT:
I just talked to Verizon and they said they do not unlock any phones. Fuckers...

T-Mobile US phones will not work on T-Mobile DE's (Germany) network unless they're unlocked. T-Mobile phones in the US that you buy (i.e., you buy a Curve 8900 from T-Mobile US) will not work on any other network, including other T-Mobile networks in other countries because the phone is locked specifically to T-Mobile US. Verizon does unlock phones, just bitch to them enough saying that you're taking an international trip and they should eventually give it to you. As far as the phones that they have that offer GSM bands (which can be unlocked for international use), the Storm, Tour, 8830, Ozone, Renown and Saga are the only ones with GSM. The 8830 only has dual-band GSM so get a Tour. It's VZW's best phone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

belle of my ballz posted:

I absolutely loathed the battery life, I was recharging twice, sometimes three times in a day. That is just unacceptable. Everything else I lov/ed on the iPhone. I had both 2/3G and enjoyed them. Although MobileMe really soured the experience for me.

I like the E71 formfactor but I never warmed up to symbian, it seems like a dumbphone OS in a smartphone shell.

What else do goons like about the Dream

Give the BlackBerry another chance. The Storm is a piece of poo poo. The newer BlackBerrys have changed a lot from that old Curve that you once used. The BlackBerry Bold has good battery life and will make it through a day of good usage. My 8900 lasts a day and a half with heavy usage and will make it through 2 days if I don't really use the phone much at all. The BlackBerry Bold is the only phone that will give you all the features that you want.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Would you also recommend a HTC Ozone?

Dear god no. The Tour should be your first option. Keep in mind that all of those phones except for the Renown force you to have a $30/month smartphone data plan.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Baron FU posted:

• Country/Provider: Denmark

• Current contract status: Open contract

Hello people. I've been on the lookout for a new phone for the last couple of weeks. I mostly wanted an Iphone but my current carrier can't offer it. They offered me these phones instead.

• Nokia 5800N 999 dkkr.

• LG Arena 1599 dkkr.

• HTC Magic 1699 dkkr.
All have unlimited plan with 10gb data 550 dkkr. each month. Perks are free access to https://www.tdcplay.dk a huge music library.

I then went to the monopoly carrier that has Iphone. Their offer was.
  • Iphone 3G 1099 dkkr.
Their plan is unlimited with 10gb data 600 dkkr. each month. Perks are free movie tickets and other weird gimmick stuff.
be aware that all 3GS are sold out for now. It just arrived yesterday and i won't be waiting for restocking.

My question is basicaly this. Can any of the 3 phones that they offered me stand up to the Iphone. Or will i have to go through the hassle of switching companies. Using 2 different numbers for a month will be one of the things i'd have to do, aswell as paying 2 bills the following month. I'll mostly use the phone for gaming/music and texting/IMing aswell as some internet surfing. I'm very interested in the Iphones huge app library. Can any of the other phones offer anything like that?
Thanks for helping.

edit: Current exchange rate 5.26
edit2: Edited in perks. Might make a small difference.

The Magic is the only phone that's really comparable to the iPhone. The HTC Hero is a little bit better and worse at the same time. I would take the Magic as it's better than the iPhone 3G. The 5800 is a joke when compared up against the iPhone. The LG Arena is a dumbphone which doesn't even belong in the same category as the iPhone. So take the Magic.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Can you enlighten us as to why you prefer the Magic to the Hero and/or what makes the Hero "a little bit worse"? The Hero is better in every way.

HTC's Sense UI looks to break the back of the ARM11. There's too much going on at once. I know that you use a 3GS. Try doing the things that you do with it using the old ARM11 from the iPod touch and iPhone 2G and 3G. It's going to be a lot slower. Even if the ARM11 was clocked at max speed, it would still be slower than the Cortex. HTC's Sense UI has a lot more going on than an iPhone normally would, even jailbroken and a few apps backgrounded with Backgrounder. There is no need for 2 clocks. The widgets and such are too much for that ARM11. It makes the phone slow. I can stand bad UIs if the phone doesn't lag but if the phone does, I want to throw it at the wall. Plus the Hero has the godawful Leno chin which I personally despise. I really want to like the Hero but the chin and that the Sense UI is too much for the device makes me turn away. I still wouldn't use an Android device as my primary though because there's not one with a decent physical keyboard.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Yeah, but nobody buys an HTC phone (WinMo or Android) to run the stock ROM. The Magic and Hero are fundamentally the same device underneath and the Hero will have custom ROMs that emphasize speed just as the Magic will have custom ROMs that emphasize backporting Hero's Sense UI enhancements. I agree that the 528 MHz chip in the Magic and Hero can't handle HTC's latest software enhancements (why they keep making this mistake with every new phone is beyond me) and I agree that the Hero is worth skipping to see how the SE Rachael turns out. I'm just speaking in the context of Hero vs. Magic, and to that end the Hero is a pretty irrefutably superior device.

Incidentally I also agree with you on the more-dramatic "chin" styling of the Hero being obnoxious -- though my concern is entirely with pocketability weirdness, not with the aesthetic. Still, I'd pick a white Hero over the Magic on the 3.5 and teflon coating merits alone if I had to choose between those two phones.

I forgot that xda does Android ROMs now in addition to WM ROMs. I would have to take the Magic because I would get T-Mobile 3G. The Hero does have a 3.5mm jack which is revolutionary for HTC (Touch HD had one also). It's handy but I don't really use the 3.5mm jack on my 8900 much because it's inferior to the iPod touch I have. And I agree with you on how the chin fucks up the pocketability. The G1 has to be carried around in a holster, and holsters suck. I wish HTC put the slight chin that the Magic has on the Hero instead of the Leno chin. Even with the 3.5mm jack and Teflon coating which I'll have to feel to believe, I'd still take the Magic because I get 3G and there's no obtrusive marking of Jay Leno that completely screws up the pocketability.

E: Do you know if the Hero syncs with Outlook kalibar? Even though I have a Google account, Google absolutely sucks with contacts, notes and tasks compared to Outlook. You can't even sync notes and tasks last time I checked.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 3, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Gibby 117 posted:

I have verizon. I want to get a data plan or smart phone. I want to use it for mostly email, texting, and surfing the internet to say compair prices on amazon to in store items. Anyone with good apps is always welcomes, like a good calender or scheduler.

I have been looking at the Tour 9630. Should I get that or should I wait for new phones, it seems a few are coming (all there prices dropped yesterday).

e: seconding the EPRP + Tour, Verizon sucks

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 3, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Chinaski posted:

• Country/Provider: USA / T-Mobile

• Current contract status: Out of contract

• Budget (phone/plan): Less than $100.00 for the phone

• Features I know I want: QWERTY keypad, camera, good battery life

My current Nokia 6133 is pretty beat up so I want a replacement.

I was looking at the Samsung Gravity but I read bad things about its battery life. Is the Gravity a good option despite this or are there similar phones at a better deal?

I only want a phone I can talk on, take and send pictures with, and message people from time to time. The less expensive the better.

Increase your budget by $50 and get a Nokia E63. You can do a lot more with the E63. It also has Wi-Fi so you can do some web browsing. And if you wanted a data plan for it, you can get the $9.99 web2go as the data plan for it. Use this coupon code (1VKS815V0W4QC9) without the parentheses. Here's the link to the E63. It should be ~$130 after that coupon code.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Get a new carrier.

I just loaded up Big Red's website for shits and giggles to see what their obscene service plans even cost these days. A BlackBerry Tour with unlimited SMS, "data access for e-mail" (which I assume translates to unlimited Ev-DO), and 450 anytime minutes runs you $99.99/month. One hundred American dollars per month for the carrier with the worst phone selection and the biggest disdain for open access.

If you want a Tour, get it on Sprint for $52.50/month with the credit union deal or $59.99 with EPRP. Verizon's BlackBerry plan is more expensive than a loaded single-person iPhone plan ($90/month) which is widely considered to be the upper ceiling of what anyone would pay for wireless.

In reality, you're Doing It WrongTM if your monthly bill crosses $60/month. A hundred plus tax each month is ludicrous.

Nope, it's $89.99/month for the fully loaded BlackBerry package with unlimited texts and unlimited data and 450 minutes. It's still a ripoff. gently caress Verizon's ripoff prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Chinaski posted:

Thanks but that's a little out of my budget and much more than I need. I don't want to go with a data plan right now - I'm just looking for a phone I can talk on, send pictures with, and send text messages (with a QWERTY pad).

Well you don't have to get the data plan for it. And really, it's only $30 more. But if that much of an upgrade from a lovely dumbphone to a full-fledged smartphone with an easy learning curve is too much, maybe the Gravity is good enough for you. I still think that you should go with the E63.