Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not sure where to ask about this, but we're trying to cut recurring expenses while getting our kids through preschool and our phone plan is a big one. I keep seeing/hearing ads for cheaper plans like Mint Mobile etc which use bigger carriers' networks but cost less. What is the general experience with them? You can't really use searches for this stuff these days because it's all sponsored content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm on AT&T, two lines. Both have a phone on the payment plan, so I'd have to buy them out to switch under any circumstances, and AT&T loves to obfuscate what the actual apples-to-apples cost of the plan is, but essentially the lines are $88 each per month. Which is a lot! This includes the phone payments, but if I look at my bill it claims that the phone payments are discounted away anyway??? Seems purposely confusing! I'm on their Super Ultra Deluxe Elite plan but if I try to use their site to switch down to the Normal Person's Plan the total cost is only $1.50 lower per line per month. This is of course way higher than the promotional price they show on their site if I'm not logged in. The entire system seems purposely designed to prevent you from paying them less money under any circumstances. I was wondering if these cheapo services I keep hearing about were worth switching to even if I had to eat an up-front cost to buy out the phones, but it sounds like the answer is "probably not." Data is expensive and it sucks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife has an iPhone SE 3rd Edition with $350 left on it, and my Pixel 7 apparently has $700 left :eyepop:

jeez I didn't realize the balance was that high on the Pixel. I'd need to recoup a thousand bucks to make any switch worth it. Maybe I should revisit this later