Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Country/Provider: Gainesville, FL, USA

Current contract status: I have 4 months left on a 2-year contract with Cingular/ATT.

Budget (phone/plan): We pay about $95 a month for a single family plan for three phones. We'd love to pay less, but have no need for more features.

Features I know I want: We presently use the cheapest family plan they have with 2 lines added. It's like 500 minutes a month, but we never use that much. My stepson is the only one who texts, and we don't use data.

I just want to make absolutely sure that what I've read here is correct: We can continue at our current price with ATT on a month-by-month basis, right?

Is there any provider we should consider where we could pay less than this for basic service?
Don't want to use pay-as-you-go phones; too inconvenient.

We are, however, considering buying a new phone for my stepson. He's using a Samsung A707 right now, and his big problem is reception. In places where we get good signal, he does not. Can you suggest a similar flip phone with better features and reception, that's not terribly expensive?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Cock Inspector posted:

Country/Provider: Gainesville, FL, USA

Current contract status: I have 4 months left on a 2-year contract with Cingular/ATT.

Budget (phone/plan): We pay about $95 a month for a single family plan for three phones. We'd love to pay less, but have no need for more features.

Features I know I want: We presently use the cheapest family plan they have with 2 lines added. It's like 500 minutes a month, but we never use that much. My stepson is the only one who texts, and we don't use data.

I just want to make absolutely sure that what I've read here is correct: We can continue at our current price with ATT on a month-by-month basis, right?

Is there any provider we should consider where we could pay less than this for basic service?
Don't want to use pay-as-you-go phones; too inconvenient.

We are, however, considering buying a new phone for my stepson. He's using a Samsung A707 right now, and his big problem is reception. In places where we get good signal, he does not. Can you suggest a similar flip phone with better features and reception, that's not terribly expensive?

Thanks.

I posted this about 4 pages back, and didn't get any responses, so let's try something simpler:

Need a replacement phone for ATT in Florida:

Budget: Best bang for the buck, but hopefully $100-200.
Only features he wants, and I quote:

-looks decent
-good reception (this is most important to me)
-durable screen
-pretty flat for pocket comfort

He doesn't use it for music or browsing, but he texts and makes calls.
Can I get a couple of suggestions? Thanks.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Does The Shack have a standard recommendation for PAYG phones in the US, more specifically, Gainesville, FL?

I'm seriously just looking for the cheapest thing I can get so I can make occasional phone calls. I don't text, don't need anything at all special, and don't make a lot of calls.

The only thing I'd like is a service that doesn't suck donkey balls through a dish drainer. I was on AT&T before, and it was literally like no service at all anywhere I went. Sucktacular.

Thanks in advance.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Country/Provider: USA/ ATT

Current contract status: Eligible to Renew

Budget (phone/plan): Keeping discount family plan

Features I know I want: GPS driving/mapping, web surfing, decent reception

I am about to replace an iPhone 3gs and do a 2-year contract renewal. What I want to know is if I'm really using the phone only for the above, don't care much about phone gaming, etc, what should I get?

I would LIKE to try an Android phone and am looking at the Galaxy SIII and S4. The deal is that the SIII is literally 1 cent with the contract, and the s4 is $199. I keep phones for 2 years, like the 3gs, so I want to know if it would be dumb to go with the older phone and save the 200 bucks. Do we expect upcoming OS versions to be more processor intensive, or is backward compatibility usually kept?

Thanks.