Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My father has decided to cave and call an 11th hour audible to get my brother his first smartphone for Christmas.

I need a crash course in iPhones, if someone can.

Country/Provider: US/Baltimore - ATT

Current Contract Status:
3 dumbphones/1 Smartphone (android) on a FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover with a 3gb data plan for the droid. All 3 dumbphones have full upgrade eligibility.

Details: I assume that, since my brother has an iPad from college virtually attached to him at this point, he'll be better off staying in the Apple ecosystem. Reviewing AT&T's website, the following options are presented:

Refurbs:
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 4 (8GB Black) (Refurb) - $0.99 With 2-year commitment
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 4s (16GB Black) (Refurb) - $0.99 With 2-year commitment
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 5 (32GB White) (Refurb) - $99.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple iPhone 5c (16GB Blue) (Refurb) - $24.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple iPhone 5s (16GB Silver) (Refurb) - $99.99 With 2-year commitment

New:
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 5s (16GB Space Gray) - $199.99 With 2-year commitment
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 5c (16GB White) - $99.99 With 2-year commitment
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 4s (8GB Black) - $0.99 With 2-year commitment
AppleŽ iPhoneŽ 4s (16GB White) - $49.99 With 2-year commitment

Bottom line: Are any of the above reasonable deals? Good options? Is there a 3rd party I can get the phone through? Is there an alternative method I can squeeze a better deal out of AT&T with? If I go with one of those price points, which is the best option for someone who has never had a smartphone before and is kinda rough on phones in general? What kind of plan should I be shooting for? Is there some sort of shared data plan I can use between the 2 smartphones? I currently bump real close against the lovely 3gb plan on my phone, alone, and I feel like I'm using a gimped phone because I can't do all the cool poo poo they advertise without blowing through fucktons of data.

Any advice is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Country/Provider: US, just outside Baltimore. 4 lines on T-Mobile
Current contract status: Just moved all lines in, open to get them all 4 out.
Features I know I want: At least some Hotspot, Unlimited Data, no throttling.

I got conned into moving my parents 2 lines off the TMo 55+ plan and my 2 lines off prepaid to a family plan by being told I could use a 20% Insider F&F code, which was a blatant lie that they will not honor. After 20 hours on with customer support this week just to get all the lines moved in, my patience with TMo is exhausted.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Duckman2008 posted:

Big question is what was and what is your monthly rate? 2nd is did you buy any new phones, or was it all BYOD? If it was BYOD you can go wherever you want.

I can get you a quote for Verizon, I just need to know those two answers, and also do all 4 lines need mobile hotspot?

You can post here or PM me.

All devices are BYOD.
Previously, between the 2 plans, we were at about $170-180 total. New plan was supposed to be $185 before 20% discount.
Only 3 of the lines will ever use mobile hotspot, and it doesn't need to be a lot, we only use it when traveling.