Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have been using one of these for 2 or more years, a SLVR kajigger:

I've simply loved how slim it was, as it keep it in my jeans from pocket. Anything bulkier would really annoy me. However, I want to upgrade to something that has a full keyboard, as my 20 somethings generation seems to do 95% of communication via text message.

I'm on ATT, but I have a long loathing of Apple products due to being in tech support for the last 8 years. It seems like the iPhone is the only thing as slim, but I really don't know if I want to buy into the whole iPhone thing.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm already ATT, would rather not switch to Verizon, and TMobile apparently has poo poo service in my area (Santa Cruz, CA).

Budget is not too much of an issue, as long as it is not over like 300$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My Motorola l7/slvr was so minimalistic and kind of lovely for anything other than calls/texts that I have never once did any sort of real data crap with it. That is what kind of shys me away from a full on blackberry or such, but I guess seeing how I actually do computer tech poo poo for a living I might as well get with the program.

With ATT, how much on average is a decent data usage bill each month? Right now I probably pay some assfucking 50+ a month just for basic usage and like 1000 texts or something. Is that average?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I take it that Sony Ericson is not a fold-open-with-a-qwerty-keyboard type phone?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Question about monthly plans:

Do iPhone users really pay like 100 bux a month to use it? It seems their cheapest plan ATT has is 45$ base, then a required 30$ for 'data', and like +15$ for a good amount of text messages. Then all of the bullshit taxes on top of that would easily make it 100+?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Right now I pay like 60$ a month (40+20 in rear end gently caress taxes they dont tell you) for the most basic ATT coverage ever on my L7/Slvr. I've only once or twice bumped up against my text limit of like 200 or 500 or whatever a month, so I spent 10 more to up it to 1500 texts.

But even 60$ a month is a lot for my needs. I like the idea of the iphone, but I have no idea if I'd want to pay even more for what I have. No wonder the iphone is selling so well though, if apple pockets money on the units controlling the selling and buying of apps since most people are too lazy/dont know how to unlock it, and att gets to charge whatever they want a month for it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Are there any better revisions of the G1 in the pipe line?

I don't like the G1's little curve at the bottom. It doesn't let it sit nicely in my pocket.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Okay, looks like the Nokia E71 is pretty much exactly what I was wanting with a nice slim upgrade from my Motorola L7 that is a lot more smartphone-ish.

So if I buy an unlocked on from Amazon-- will it work on ATT? Do I still have to pay the 30$ rear end rape data fee from ATT?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Dr Tran posted:

Yes, it will work on at&t.
I think unlimited data is $15 while data + text is $30.

Yeah I just saw that. I pay 15$ right now for 1500 texts, so it would be 15+15 anyhow for data. Might as well just go with the 30$.

Funny how iphones are 30$ for data + 15$ for texts.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

EeveeTrainer posted:

E71 is SUPPOSED to be $30 data. It's just that you can get around it by not informing them that you are using a smartphone.

Good point.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So after all of the good input, I bought a Nokia E71 on amazon for 300$.

I currently am out of contract on ATT, so I am free to upgrade without any fine print, I think. I currently pay the base 45$ for 450 minutes or whatever, and plus $15 for 1500 texts.

They have a plan that is 30$ for unlimited text and data, which I think I am going to upgrade to. However is that only for non-smart phones? The iphone wanted 30$ for JUST data, and then another 5-15$ for texts. Can I upgrade on their website for unlimited data, and then take the phone in to my local ATT store and have them activate it without them trying to skank me on forcing me to have the same 30+15$ monthly fee for data/texts as Iphones? Or are they just squeezing money out of rich trend whores by charging the high data fee for only iphones?

Also, how does one activate one of those new phones in general. I've never bought an unlocked phone directly off of amazon before. Do you just take it in to an ATT store and they transfer the number, or what?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Okay rad. I knew you had to configure the sim card, but I didn't know if each phone had a sim card that was unique to it that had to be configured by the carrier, or if they were interchangeable from like an old 3-4 year old L6 to a new E71.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The form factor of the E71 is amazingly good, and the auto-correct spell check while typing is drat slick.

I just have to get used to the UI, as my old Motorola L6 had a much more intuitive UI than this one kind of is.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My trusty E71 has been slowly breaking down, and I was curious what a good andriod-ish replacement for it might be? I've grown really spoiled by its full keyboard, but I think as long a new phone is somewhat slim and cheapish I think I'll be good. Any suggestions?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Fiance uses Straighttalk, so basically need an unlocked AT&T/GSM phone.

She tried using an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S 4G, because the marketing made it look like an S4. That poo poo was from like 2010, and she hated it.

What would be a good thing in the $200 price range for her-- a Galaxy S3 Mini? She hates Apple products and doesn't want to have to pay a lot for something she'll basically use minimally (no games or poo poo, just texting, calls, sometime web).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Endless Mike posted:

Motorola Moto G

I talked to her and it seems she has been enjoying her Dell Venue 8 enough she'd rather try out a Windows phone. Which Lumia is generally the best right now for ~$200-250?