Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Hey thread, I am looking for advice for my mom in here. She brought her iPhone 12 into the Apple Store because her earspeaker doesn't work anymore and the repair cost would have been $279 since the full screen had to be replaced for the fix. Obviously with a three-year-old phone that's throwing good money after bad, especially because they quoted the trade-in value at $220, so for an extra $100 she could have gotten a brand-new iPhone 13 with a fresh battery. However, I'm a bit scrupulous after checking the Apple website that they would have given her the full value for a broken phone since it says the phone needs to "function normally" to trade it in. Was the employee misspeaking/throwing her a bone and should she have taken her up on it in the moment?

The only carrier that I see that would take it in its current condition seems to be Verizon, and the best option I see there would more than quadruple her monthly bill (she's on US Mobile so it's only about $20/mo). Technically she comes out slightly ahead in value in a very specific circumstance (getting the iPhone 14 Plus which wouldn't require a trade-in and selling the iPhone 12 for parts and the TV they're giving out for >$600 total), but the iPhone 13 idea seems like so much less headache than financing a phone for 3 years. The only place that seems worth considering a switch to is Boost Infinite for their "get the latest iPhone every year" plan, but it looks like that basically requires you to get AppleCare with it so that you don't get stuck with a broken phone for two years while you pay the unexchangable one off. Still, though, paying $52 extra a month for peace of mind, unlimited data, and constant model refreshes doesn't seem like an awful deal. I think the iPhone 13 still is head and shoulders above it since owning is always better than leasing IMO, but is there anything else to consider if they won't actually accept the 12 at the full $220?

E: I think I answered my question about Boost Infinite, just found out Apple has the same thing and it would come out cheaper for her to do it with them and stick with US Mobile. Actually maybe not since that requires a big 3 plan... I'll still just go with her next week and help her trade her old phone into Apple most likely.

demostars fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU