Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
* Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

* Current contract status: Done. Have been using a 400 daytime minutes plan and never got anywhere near using that up.

* Budget (phone/plan): Prefer a family plan for two for <= $100/mo. Willing to buy our own phones. I'd say $500 for the pool, but that's a stretch. It would be hard to motivate paying more than $250 individually for either phone. Depends on the long-term cost. I don't change phones so I have no problem riding a contract.

* Features I know I want: One phone can be whatever, really, but should be tolerable for texting. The other one would be my doodad. I want a qwerty keyboard, internet access, and GPS. It should be easy and free to develop my own software for the phone if I'm so inclined. I'm starting to understand all the texting stuff as I send more and more text messages, so I think I'd rather have basically mobile Internet. Still, the phone shouldn't be a massive brick. I have a Cingular 8125 right now and it annoys me. For multimedia all I might do is play mp3s if it can do it better than my Sansa.

I'm curious how I might be able save buying the phone up front. As I understand it, not getting tied to a contract means choice for moving on to a new phone or new provider right away, but I don't see how I could save if I was going to sit on the same phone and probably the same plan for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Steinbeck posted:

If you're serious about developing for smartphones: Go with an iphone or winmo device.

Winmo is an emergent market (and as far as I know, smaller than the iphone mobile app footprint)

I could be way off on this (totally gay for the iphone) but if you're worried about the developer fee, you can always test your chops in the jailbroke cydia world of apps (now more than ever a relevant community of grey market app developers)
I suppose I should have elaborated. The applications I'd write would only be for myself for my own use for specific purposes. So I'm more interested in how easy it is to throw together something I don't intend to sell, rather than in the potential customer exposure I could have from a polished application. I know the customer app would be the normal route there, but not for me.

I'm still trying to sort out if there's an advantage to buying the phone up front in that instance. I saw the post about buying up front and it seems to be about freedom of switching to a new phone or provider, but I wondered if there was an incentive if I intend to stay with one provider and phone anyways.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had upgraded from an Essential PH-1 to a OnePlus 7 Pro. It was all great until I realized the glass on the back of the case has been absolutely obliterated. I have dropped the phone but I think the main crack came from clamping it in my bike handlebar mount. Stuff online implies it cracks just from jiggling around in your pocket.

I wanted to upgrade my mom's phone too but I am not so sure any more. I would get a Samsung but she got used to the stock Android on her Essential PH-1. Is there a similar alternative for specs and user experience that is also more durable?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a OnePlus 7T that I don't want to have to repair again so I'm starting to consider a replacement. The day-to-day, raw specs on that phone have been really good and I have fussed with myself over how little it seems stuff has advanced since I got it. The counterpoints to this are pretty simple:

1. The rear case panel is glass and cracks as soon as you sneeze at it. I had replaced it when doing other repairs (see below) and I don't think it survived two weeks before it was screwed up again.
2. The USB-C port is garbage and I've already had to replace it once. It was a really annoying repair that required pulling apart most of the phone for access. I think along the way, I made my pictures fuzzier (probably got the inside of the case by the camera sensor dirty with my goon hands). I don't want to have to do this again, but I have started to see it failing the charge when plugged in again so it's a matter of time.
3. The camera sensors on it were never particularly good. I want to say I don't take many pictures but it might just be a factor of that more than anything else.
4. I think it's been a bit goofy with Bluetooth pairing. Particularly with car Bluetooth systems, it's been on and off and the audio often gets screwed up on the first attempt and I have to restart Bluetooth to try again.

I'd rather stay below $1000 in finding a new phone and am willing to wait through to the end of the year if there are obvious generation changes that will trigger sales. I mostly just browse and shitpost on it so it's probably not even worth considering CPU specs too much. I had pondered just getting the Pixel 8 that Google's slashing, but I don't have to jump on a new phone right away unless that's the best I'll see until, like, December.

Perhaps the only other thing for quality-of-life is I think I'd prefer a more stock Android. I previously had an Essential PH-1 and had become accustomed to its interface over, say, Samsung. OnePlus did their own thing but it wasn't as divergent.