Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
Country/Provider: USA / T-Mo, but willing to change.

Current contract status: Out of my 2 year requirement.

Budget (phone/plan): I am flexible.

Features I know I want: Data capable, at least decent camera. Touch, and real keyboard.

Mock me all you want, but I love a sexy looking phone. Short of a blowjob feature on a phone, someone being wowed by my phone is the best feature to me. I was looking at the xperia because it was just that, and full of cool features. Then I realize I was looking at a very expensive phone, and not really checking out the competition as much as I could. So far Sony Ericson phones have always been the ones who treated me best. I currently have the s500i, and it's wonderful, but I am ready for a phone with better data capabilities. I have been reading the other threads on HTC phones, and they look good, but I figured I should make sure with you guys that I shouldn't be narrowing it down to one or 2 phones specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

Stuff on winmo phones and places to look.

This is great, thanks. Now just to pose a personal preference thing to you guys, whats do you think is the best bang for the buck? The Xperia is mucho mucho sexy, but the fuse is much cheaper, not as good of a feature list or power, but still looks good. The HTC touches are also awesome, but not as cheap as I would hope they would be.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
To extend from my other post, I am still stuck on the Xperia Vs. The HTC touch pro. Both seem great, but I can't find a place anywhere where I can demo either just to get the feel and see how they work. So I have to trust you guys.

Any real life experience someone can mention for both to help me decide that I didn't find on google?

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Funny enough, I am exactly like the poser above me with some small differences:

Current Phone: SE S500I
Contract: T-Mo. I would like to stay but not required.
Budget: $500 for phone. Under 100 for plan.
Features I want: I would like a Qwerty keyboard, but a touch one is okay if you can assure me it will work under my fat thumbs. I would prefer windows mobile just so I can make my own apps, but not required. Internet and all that Jazz is needed.
Other thoughts: When the X1 came out, I drooled over it, but couldn't justify spending that much. I know it's dropped to 450, but not sure if that would suit me best anymore. I loved that when I held it, I felt like the thing was very solid. I really hate how the touch pro feels like it could break at any time. I really like that about my current SE phone, feels very solid.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

Don't bother with Windows Mobile until WinMo 7 comes out, not worth the trouble when there's so many cool phones coming out.

I am a little unread on this topic, I just want some clarity on what this means. Don't buy a winmo phone yet because there are so many cool winmo phones come out, or there just so many non winmo phones coming out?

If you are saying that I should hold out because an awesome winmo phone is coming out, which one, or ones, did you have in mind?

Edit: And I kind of don't want to leave T-Mo unless you guys really think it is worth it. They have just been really good to me and I am not that eager to leave. How bad will it be having a phone that doesn't work on T-Mo's 3g network and using the data plan?

Edit 2: Just for basic web browsing.

Edit 3: I am liking the hero, but I am really worried about the touchscreen keyboard. I do have classic short, stubby thumbs. Genuinely the only thing that worries me. If you guys have some experience with it and somehow let me know it won't be an issue, and that there is no phone coming out within 3 months or less I should be waiting for, I will probably buy it.

Fastbreak fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 16, 2009

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

gariig posted:

As far as the Hero is concerned you will have to move to Sprint to get one. T-Mobile uses a different type of signal (GSM) then Sprint (CDMA), or you need to import one from Europe. You can wait and get the Motorola CLIQ on T-Mobile in the next couple of weeks.

I am sure I am reading this wrong, but this says that operates on GSM: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero-2861.php

Does this mean the european version? In what I do know, I thought the 850 band was only US.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

The Choosey Beggar posted:

I'm fairly torn between 3 phones on the Verizon network; what I really want is an iPhone, but in lieu of such, I've narrowed it down to the BB Storm 2 that's coming, or the HTC Touch Pro2, or the Imagio.

So, if I'm looking for an iPhone-like phone, should I get any of those? Is there a different phone I should be looking at (Preferably under $200 and close to being launched if not already available)? Leaving verizon isn't really an option for me.

What about the new droid phones? There is one by Motorola thats already out, and one by HTC coming out on the 6th. They both look pretty awesome that I am thinking about switching. The HTC one is barely even announced even though the release is soon, here is the sight for the motorola.

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/?cmp=OTC-Droid-redirect1

All of the reviews so far have been very positive.

Edit: And to add onto this, I am still really stuck on what phone to get for myself. I have always had a GSM phone because I always liked having the option of going to another network if needed. I would get the HTC Hero right now, or probably plan on getting the Desire, the HTC Droid phone for Verizon I mentioned above, on the 6th if I knew I wasn't going to be locked into a phone and provider. I say this as a total hypocrite since I have been with T-Mo for 6 years now and I am buying my first smartphone.

I miss the days where there was an obvious best bang for the buck phone choice. :( I hate the freedom of options, I liked it when a Cellphone Shack proposter told me what to buy, I did, and I liked it.

Fastbreak fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 26, 2009

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
So if I want a great android phone, the bottom line is I have to go to Verizon or Sprint? There is no real obvious GSM option? A friend of mine, and fellow goon, just left sprint because they always hassled him to buy some upgrades is my only concern.

I always liked the idea of being able to switch phones whenever I wanted with a GSM phone, and I just worry about that if I go to Verizon or Sprint. Twice I have put my SIM card in my backup phone, a cheap 40 dollar phone, because my S500I was having problems and I still needed to make calls. Then when I got it sorted, I switched back. That won't be an option for Verizon or Sprint right?

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

You can change your phone at sprint.com (it's called an ESN swap). It just means you're swapping the ESN (electronic serial number) of the phone on your line. Not as convenient as a SIM, but works for what you want to do.

I don't know much about Verizon other than they cost a lot more than Sprint for no real benefit.

I am just drooling over the HTC droid phone. And I would get a discount for Verizon since my company works with them, but I am also a grad student so I think I get a sprint discount?

Would you say the 2 networks really are pretty much the same other than price?

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

Not sure about your discount, but check out Sprint EPRP vs your VZW discount. Sprint will give you free calls to any mobile phone on any network, which is a nice deal. EPRP comes with everything you might want (GPS Nav, Sprint TV, data, text) and they don't do the hassling for upgrades thing anymore.

The networks are mostly the same, especially in bigger cities. I'd wait to see what VZW does to the Android phones before committing, they have a history of gimping phones. If they sell good Android phones and you can get a decent plan price, then it's not a bad deal really, it's just that they're notorious for higher prices and gimped phones.

As it stands, I would wait and see the Sprint Hero and Moment and compare them to the new VZW Android phones. You're going to end up with your phone for 2 years, so I would recommend waiting to see who comes out with the best ones here in the next few weeks unless you need one right away. By that I mean wait to see if any of them have some terrible problem like terrible battery life or poor reception, etc.

Gotcha, thanks. The hero does look really really nice, but I keep hearing horror stories about sprint from people personally. They are usually bitchy anyways so whatever. I will wait for the droid to launch on the 6th and then decide.

Also, I was looking more into the HTC droid phone for verizon, is there a reason they are calling it gimped? Is 528MHZ that bad? It also comes with Android 1.5, but can't I upgrade that if I want? I apologize for all the simple questions, just trying to play catch up on the Market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

Every carrier gives you the option to cancel a contract in the first 30-days without paying any fees, so make your decision on pricing and hardware. If the carrier you're stuck with based on those things pisses you off or sucks where you are, then bail and go the other route.

Ah, I didn't know that. Golden, thank you my friend.