Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
In the UK on Three (but on a rolling one month contract so provider doesn't need to be an issue). My iPhone 5 is two years old and after dropping it the other day a couple of things are wrong with it and I want to replace it. I use a fair amount of data so I'm on three's unlimited data plan and I'm happy enough just buying a phone outright rather than being locked in for two years. I've been on iPhones for the last six years but I'm not averse to changing to android. I do web browsing, a fair few games, the usual social media assortment. The Galaxy s6 and the iphone 6 are looking pretty good to me, but as I'm a clueless phone idiot are there any other safe bets? Also is the s6 edge worth bothering with or is the edge just a gimmick and not useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cheers both, I'll do that then.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

I'm heading to Europe in a couple weeks. Will be in Scotland for a week and the Netherlands for a week. What's the best option for picking up a cheep sim card for data and maybe a few calls? Should I just grab whatever pre paid sim at the airport uponarrival in each country or is there any decent Europe wide options?

I think there's capped roaming charges these days so you should be able to pick up a sim at wherever you land first and then just use that.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/money-charges/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The flip series are perfectly adequate phones. They're like one notch down from a flagship, and they fold, which is cool but like... Unless you desperately need your phone to be pocket sized or you like to have a gimmicky phone then the pixel will be a better choice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think Google made the Pixel impossible to lock to a carrier so a SIM that works in one should work in anything else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Getting a flip phone is a very stupid idea and it is probably a dumb idea right now, even if they look so cool.

On a real note, flip phones are a “it would be nice to help scale back tech overload” that we all face, but the reality is there is too much you need a smart phone for. Like , navigation. Easy text messaging. Download tickets for a concert. Make bad posts on this dead comedy forum. All of which are basic phone can’t do.

I highly recommend leveraging do not disturb mode with a smart phone, that has started to help me not look at my phone as much. I haven’t deleted social media , but I actually have somewhat cut back and that has helped too.

8 Pro is a good choice.

I think Momomo might be referring to folding phones rather than old school flip phones.

As someone who's owned a Fold 2, Fold 4 and Flip 3 I can say that they are fun gadgets but the Fold is only useful if you have a really specific edge case where you need a larger screen on the go but don't want to carry a phone and a tablet. The Flip is just a decent Android phone with a gimmick; I can't speak for the latest Flip, the larger front screen might make some sort of difference but I always found myself opening the Flip 3 anyway.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dancer posted:

Hi there. A friend in the Netherlands wants a new phone.

The following are kinda the only things they care about, like, at all:

- security updates (and OS updates ideally I guess). They replace their phone very rarely. Companies these days have lovely policies. Samsung seems to be the only one with an acceptable 4/5 years of promised security updates on their budget models galaxy A05S and galaxy M34. All other companies are worse they say.
- enough memory so minimum 128
- battery life
- 5g would be nice

Everything else is not very important.

So, any alternatives to Samsung?

Pixel 7a perhaps? Depends how much they want to spend really, but the 7a seems to tick all those boxes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dancer posted:

Thanks for the advice, I passed it along. Yes, they were looking for something more budget. But yeah, we're kinda concluding that there are just not many options for that little money.

Yeah I think most places just assume you'll have a phone for a maximum of 2/3 years so they don't bother with updates beyond that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Apologies if this is a super common question, I try to stay out of the phone game as much as possible so I really just don't know anything.
I've had Pixels/Nexus phones exclusively. Currently my Pixel 5 is dying - dodgy battery, screen on the fritz, camera oddities, and have had issues with cell service now for a bit. It's time.
I love having free unlimited photo backup to Google Photos and the rear dedicated fingerprint scanner is in use 100% of the time I use the phone. And the screen size is nice, maybe a little bigger than I'd like though. Are these features all extinct nowadays? If so, is there any real benefit to sticking with Pixel phones? I kind of never liked the Galaxy series but if they are really just "better" or have less wacky issues than the Pixel phones I may need to jump ship. Would love to not have my phone cripple itself after two years of use.

Does anyone have Pixel or other major-brand recommendations? Are those Z Flip phones any good? Every phone I look at seems to have some bizarre compromise - the latest Pixels look like they use a garbage under-screen fingerprint sensor and have weird battery problems. I just need a normal phone!

I had a z flip 3 and it's fine. Like, it's a fairly standard mid to high end Samsung that happens to fold in half. They look cool, I liked having something gimmicky, the camera was decent and the screen was nice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Syfe posted:

Recommend me a phone (Specially a Samsung Fold)

I'm a bit trapped between the fold 4 and 5 for a few reasons and need some help, either from people who know more about phones or somebody who has one or the other.

1. I draw, so this is one of my main reasons for wanting a fold is the easy ability to draw wherever, whenever and be able to then transfer and work on that sketch elsewhere. Having it be my phone would be convenient. I'm also likely to game on it in some capacity. I like the look of the 4 s pen better than the 5 version which is pretty small and that concerns me.

2. The hinge, this is one that I lean toward the 5 on, because the 4 doesn't seem to close flar and is left on a slight angle. I haven't held either in person so I don't know how bad it is.

3. There are leaks of the fold 6 out there and I'm wondering if holding off would provide better sales. Since I don't follow phones at all, I have no idea how the marketplace reacts to new releases and if a substantial deal would be likely. (I'm looking at maybe $900 CND for the 4)

For reference my current phone is a Pixel 6a, I would be very interested in the pixel fold, but it's not in Canada and apparently has no stylus support.

The 4 and 5 seem to have only some minor differences with the hinge and a slightly better chip being the drivers.

Any help would be appreciated from people.morw knowledgable than myself on this.

I'm posting this from a fold 4 and all I can really comment on is that the hinge does indeed not close flat but unless I'm actually looking at it from the top or bottom it doesn't especially matter as far as my use of it goes.

I absolutely would recommend handling one before buying one though, they're weighty things, very thick when folded, and there's nowhere to store the pen on or in the phone without adding a case that'll bulk it up even further.

I like mine a lot and you sound like you've got a great use case for one, I just couldn't recommend one unconditionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's the preinstalled screen protectors that manufacturers tell you that must not removed as the screen is a soft plastic. It's unfortunately inherent to the design. Dust and grit will get in where it can.

Yeah, it's worth an occasional replacement screen protector if it gets irritating. They're generally available for a reasonable price with applicator frame things that stop you from loving it up.