Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
:siren:
Read this first if you don't understand why "free" phones are free. No, really, it will explain why an iPod Touch mysteriously costs more than an iPhone, because people don't seem to get that. It's called total cost of ownership, kids, and that monthly bill adds up.:siren:

This is some more light reading about phones and carriers in general (the FAQ).

If you have no idea what kind of phone you want or what the hell is going on, you need to post at least this much info:

• Country/Provider:

• Current contract status:

• Budget (phone/plan):

• Features I know I want:

Don't expect people to chase you down asking for more info because you post "I need flip phone." And don't get pissed off when someone suggests something you can't afford because you weren't specific at all.

If you ask if a specific phone is any good (this happens a lot with brand new low-end phones) and no one answers, you might just need to go check some reviews, there's a chance no one reading this thread has that particular phone yet.

You might want to check this thread for used phones if you want something nice and can't afford something new.

Current AnandTech battery life leader board:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

voodoonoid posted:

Budget:$200-$300. Plus I know I may be adding a data plan for the phone I am looking at.

What are you looking to spend per month or per 2-year contract?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

topenga posted:

• Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

• Current contract status: probably expired by now

• Budget (phone/plan): Family plan

• Features I know I want:
    --1 phone that really has no spiffy features. My mom will not care/use them/know they are there. I am unsure if she cares if it's a flip or not.
    --1 phone for a 20 year old college student that will let her put her own ringtones on. My sister likes the LG Rumor. Good? Bad? Will explode?

Backstory:
My mom is wanting to upgrade the phones in her family plan (I have nothing to do with it) and I just wanted some general advice on what phones to pick. They are coming from 2 Sanyo 4950's (mom and her boyfriend) and a Sanyo flip thing (sister) that looked like it was a toy. Seriously, it looks like a WalMart toy that was given to a dog to chew on for a bit (that part is true). My mom will probably extend her contract and most definitely will not change providers again. I've been out of the CDMA phone loop for a while so I'm not sure which direction to steer her in. If anyone can give me a couple of tips, I'd be grateful.

The Rumor sucks hard, get the Samsung Rant instead, it's 3G and better hardware all around and only $50.

Low-end Samsungs (520, 320, or 300) or the Katana will work fine for your mom. Samsungs have a nice big dialing font if she wears glasses.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

What are you basing this upon? I've recommended this phone to several casual phone users on Sprint who just want QWERTY txt and they've been really satisfied with it.

The user reviews i've read online have also been strongly positive for a simple txting dumbphone.

For only $50, you can get a 3G Rant over a 2G Rumor. Samsung phones are made better than the crap LG has been putting out recently. The keyboard and screen are larger on the Rant and it's rated for a full hour more talk time, has a MicroSDHC slot, and a 2MP camera (vs 1.3MP).

There was this gem, although it's old news now:
http://www.phonenews.com/not-a-rumor-the-lg-rumor-has-issues-2505/

I believe the Rumor has a problem with the ribbon that connects the face to the keyboard shorting out over time, but that could be a different phone I'm thinking of. That's a Chappy question, but I remember him saying something about that opr at least that the Rant is a better phone all around since he sees them come through for repairs.

Just some website's arbitrary opinion of the Rumor and Rant:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/lg-rumor/8559.html
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/samsung-rant/9876.html

Basically, it's all stuff that a lot of users will notice. While the Rumor won't kill your puppy, most people buy a phone to last 2 years and Samsung builds a better phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

The Jizzer posted:

What's an easy-to-use, reliable phone on the Verizon network?

My mother has a VX8300 and is looking for a new phone since she's due for the credit and doesn't like the phone much.

Basically I'm looking for something with:
- Good battery life
- As few extraneous features as possible
- Reliable
- Easy to use

Any suggestions?

Low-end Samsungs are a pretty safe bet in the CDMA world. Look at the u550.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

I don't think they "block" any of the features--they'll just merrily charge you ala-carte per Kb data rates when you accidentally use something that uses network data.

And the per-Kb data tends to be really loving expensive if you don't know you're using it.

Here's a utility that will actually disable the non-wifi data sources so you don't accidentally use them. The rape-charge for not having a data plan is not worth risking it.

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-software/246171/new-free-utility-nodata/

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Just curious of you or Kalibar's opinion: is the Tilt still "worth it" at that price point? It seems like dated gear and that there are a lot of better WinMo alternatives for not too much more.

Assuming you can get one at a good price, yes. It's got enough RAM, has tons of community support for custom ROMs, GPS, 3G radio, Wifi, and expandable memory. The only thing it's lacking over the Touch Pro is the VGA screen and some extra CPU power. Completely depends on how much you pay, but it's still a viable WinMo phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

After trying it out, I think the Storm's screen/interface is poorly designed so I am not considering it. I am personally leaning towards the Saga based on reviews and playing with a dummy model. I am just concerned about call quality.

I would also appreciate it if people were to weigh in on this question.

Samsung makes pretty solid CDMA phones, did you read a review where the call quality was sub-par? If you go to a store to get the phone, ask about returning it if you don't like it for any reason, they should have a 30-day policy of some sort.

You might ask in the VZW thread, someone there will know.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Toaster posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / Sprint

# Current contract status: ~2 yrs renewed - paying to cancel contract

# Budget (phone/plan): ~ $150-$200

# Features I know I want:
I currently have the Rumor and i hate it, it has started to fall apart on me in 1 month, the battery doesn't last long at all and the buttons are falling into the phone.
I like how the phone is designed and would like to have a full keyboard phone (slide or not), with a SD card insert, good camera, good service. I was thinking about getting Verizon Wireless since I've heard really good things about them in Massachusetts. Just wasn't sure and decided to ask some goons.
My mother also shares the plan with me and she's looking for a flip phone, simple interface, good camera, good battery, texting capabilities.

Sprint is cheaper and their phones are better (yes, really), if you're fine with your coverage stay with them, you'll be paying Verizon more for phones that are really locked down. If your contract is over, call Sprint and tell them you want to cancel and see what kind of crazy deal they'll offer you to stay maybe get some free Internet or text thrown in.

If you like the Rumor for form factor and features, get a Samsung Rant. The Palm Centro original model is clearing out right now at $0 with a 2-year contract, tons better than your current phone and a smartphone with a really low learning curve, just has a bit of a small keyboard. The new model is only $79 with a contract.

Get your mom a low-end Samsung flip phone. Big fonts, good hardware. The M300, M220 and M320 are all solid as well as the Sanyo Katana LX.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

If you can get the 'new SERO' plan then go for that. There's more info in the Sprint thread. Sprint has a 5 GB data cap but you'll barely reach 1 GB on the Centro.

I recommend the Touch Pro. It has a keyboard and a touchscreen. The learning curve is much steeper than the Centro but once WM is tweaked, it's very powerful.

The cap only applies to data cards and phone-as-modem plans. You will probably not get anywhere close unless you stream music at your desk for 8 hours every day.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/22005

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

Also, have we had a link yet for people to check on corporate/educational/gov't discounts on their carrier of choice? That would be a useful thing to put in the OP.

http://consumerist.com/5125567/get-an-employer-discount-with-any-cellphone-company

I put it in the FAQ.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Fastbreak posted:

Country/Provider: USA / T-Mo, but willing to change.

Current contract status: Out of my 2 year requirement.

Budget (phone/plan): I am flexible.

Features I know I want: Data capable, at least decent camera. Touch, and real keyboard.

Mock me all you want, but I love a sexy looking phone. Short of a blowjob feature on a phone, someone being wowed by my phone is the best feature to me. I was looking at the xperia because it was just that, and full of cool features. Then I realize I was looking at a very expensive phone, and not really checking out the competition as much as I could. So far Sony Ericson phones have always been the ones who treated me best. I currently have the s500i, and it's wonderful, but I am ready for a phone with better data capabilities. I have been reading the other threads on HTC phones, and they look good, but I figured I should make sure with you guys that I shouldn't be narrowing it down to one or 2 phones specifically.

Windows Mobile has a shitload of software, is incredibly customizable but showing its age right now. I use it, and I have learned to deal with it's bullshit in favor of the open platform, not open source, it just works like a computer where I can do whatever the gently caress I want with no "jailbreaking" required. If you want a WinMo phone, check out the Sprint SERO thread and the Touch Pro or Diamond. Fast data and unlimited text for $60/month, dollar for dollar that plan kicks rear end.

Another avenue, especially if you want a camera that doesn't suck, is an unlocked Nokia on AT&T's 3G network. You sign a new contract, get a cheap phone, sell that phone and buy a nice Nokia. Some of the best looking phones you can find. You might check out the S60 thread, they will know where to buy and what to get based on your price range.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Noone can recommend a nice designer-ish phone with a simple UI? :(

Have you looked at SE phones? They are definitely good looking, you might want to check one out to see if they're simple enough for your mom, though.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 28, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Radon posted:

[*]Country/Provider: USA/Not sure yet

[*]Current contract status: Contract up, paying $50 for sprint with ~400 minutes + ~250 text.

[*]Budget (phone/plan): Cheaper the better $50 or less a month. Assuming I need an expensive phone for the features below, maybe $150 AR, but I don't really care too much on the phone as long as it's equivalent to an old school razor, and can accomplish the following:

[*]Features I know I want: ~300+ anytime, ~100+ text, internet - specifically google maps/map quest, and email.

Hope this is possible nowadays for around $50. Assuming it's not, drop the internet/google maps, email, and what's the cheapest text/talk?

Thanks guys... been meaning to figure this stuff out the last few months as sprint been offering me like 10 bucks less a month for my same plan if I sign a new contract.

A little bit unrelated, but if I call sprint and say I'm switching if you can beat a certain price, will the budge? If for example there's a cheap cricket plan of text/talk for $35/40, could I get them to give me a contract with the same features i've already got, and same phone for under that price?

You can definitely try to get a good deal with Sprint if your contract is up. Just ask for what you want at the price you want. The best department to talk to is retentions, and you get them by calling *2 and saying "cancel" at the prompt. Their job is to keep you on Sprint.

The Palm Centro will do everything you want and the phone is $50 on a contract but you won't be able to type if you've got ham hands. It's easily the best bang for the buck at $50 as it's a full smartphone but the keys can be a bit small for some people. Go try one in a store first to make sure.

If not look at the Samsung Rant, it will run Google Maps, Opera Mini, and has QWERTY but is not a smartphone and will only run Java apps.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Xaiter posted:

Provider: Currently Sprint
Budget: <$250 monthly
Features: I just need around 2000 minutes a month, two lines. Just talk time. No internet, no texting, nothing. My brother and I don't really use that stuff.

And don't recommend staying with Sprint.

If you call a few numbers a lot, you could get a T-Mobile myFaves plan with fewer minutes, and you'd get unlimited calling to 5 numbers for each line you have.

If you call a lot from home, still go with T-Mobile and you can get fewer minutes and a phone that supports their @Home routers. The Nokia 6301 is cheap, and you'd have unlimited calling to anyone from home.

Check this page for plans/minutes:
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Cell-Phone-Plans.aspx?catgroup=Family-Time-cell-phone-plan&WT.mc_n=Family_PlanFirstTile2&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

If you don't want to stay with Sprint, T-Mo will be the cheapest carrier for what you want.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

jackpot posted:

Provider: Currently Sprint, but ok with switching
Budget: ~$70 monthly

My Sprint plan ends in May and I have no problem switching if it means a good deal. Need about 300 minutes/month, ~600 texts. Would love something with the ability to install cool 3rd party apps, unlimited internet poo poo, touchscreen a bonus. Looks-wise I'm digging the Verizon XV6900 but it gets lovely reviews and I'm not sure I'd like the absence of an actual keyboard. Basically I'm in love with the iPhone but throw up at the thought of paying for one. Do I have any options at my price level?

Alternatively (since I think the answer to the above is likely a resounding "no") I'm liking the Samsung M520 - thoughts?

Sprint Everything Data plan is $70/month. That is unlimited data, unlimited text, Sprint Nav (turn-by-turn GPS directions), and 450 Minutes. Verizon will charge you somewhere around $90-100/month for that.

I'd suggest the Touch Pro (keyboard) or Diamond (no keyboard) if you want a Windows Mobile phone, the XV6900 is old now, much better stuff is available.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Also avoid car chargers whenever possible (this is with any phone, really), as they shorten your battery life over time.

Where does this come from? I have never heard this before.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/Sprint-Nextel Baltimore Md area/Panhandle of WV area
# Current contract status: piggybacked on Dad's work plan 500 mins/unlimited nights/weekends. finally getting my own plan
# Budget (phone/plan):I'd like to keep about the same amount of minutes, be as cheap as possible. I only really use my phone on nights and weekends anyways.
Phone-I'd like to keep it ideally as one of the free phones or under $100
# Features I know I want: Either the sprint coverage in the WV area sucks or my phone does, but I am in WV during the week for work and near Baltimore on the weekends, so I'd like a phone that actually will work in both places.

I don't text or e-mail or internet on the phone, so I really only need a voice plan.

Just looking to get a recommendation on who would have the best coverage with a good solid phone.

According to the coverage maps Verizon seems to have the best coverage in WV but after reading the whole thread I am weary of all the bad press they seem to be getting here.

help me goons

What kind of phone do you have now? If it's a lovely free phone, it might just be the phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Or you're on Sprint and you have a few options, but Sprint makes it a pain in the rear end to look.

Sanyo S1.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

It is a Motorola i530 I have had for years and years now.

You're using an iDEN phone (old Nextel network). Sprint and Nextel may be one company, but they operate two separate, incompatible networks. Get a Sprint CDMA phone, not an iDEN phone, and you should have better reception most places. It's cheaper than Verizon, and if you make sure you have free roaming on your plan you can use Verizon's towers for free without paying their rates.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Blaber66 posted:

Country/Provider: United States/Sprint
Current contract status: SERO plan
Budget: Anything up to maybe 150 dollars, preferably less.
Features I know I want: Up until now I've had a very horrible Tracfone, so really all I know I want is the basic features(texting and calling). I'm looking more specifically for a Smartphone though. I'd like to have a built in camera, with picture messaging. I spend a large amount of time texting, so maybe one of those fold out QWERTY keyboards would be useful for that. A problem I've had with the Tracfone is that it doesn't take the whole text message that I get, if the message is too big. I'm hoping thats just a Tracfone thing, but I better have a phone that is great for text messages!

I'd like it to have a lot of features for media. Playing music, and preferably movies, is a must. If it doesn't have a big built in memory(at least 8 gb), it would need to accept SD cards or something like that. Because the plan has internet included, it also needs to have internet. (Although I think that is a common feature of Smartphones)

This may have been a very specific description, but I really need to make sure I like the phone! Thanks!

For $200 there's the Treo Pro and for $300 there's the Touch Pro. There's nothing on Sprint for $150 that does everything you want.

publicblast posted:

# Country/Provider: USA, Northern Virginia, T-Mobile
# Current Contract Status: Complete in August 09 (T-Mobile told me they'd give me a new phone discount as early as May 09 with contract renewal)
# Budget: < $180/month ( for two phones, including data) (we currently pay about $80 for both phones, no data)

What I'm looking for: Smart Phone with web browsing capability (preferably with WiFI, but not required) and reasonable music playing ability. I am interested in something with geeky app potential, like an iPhone, G1, or high-end Samsung. MY WIFE works at a law firm that forbids personal internet access, so she's looking for something that will let her step out of the office and check personal e-mail and websurf. Something that's reasonably rugged, or has a good "armored" case available would be good--we tend to drop cell phones.

Bonus questions: I would love an iPhone, but that requires a switch to AT&T--worth it? I would also enjoy the next iteration of the G1 Google Phone, since G1 seems to need a little tweaking from what I've heard: anything on the horizon (or offer comparable features) on the T-Mobile side?

Bonus 2 Edit: I've been with T-mobile for almost 4 years. Will that get me any leverage in negotiating a plan if I stick with them?

Call T-Mobile, tell them you want to cancel your plan and see what they'll do to keep you. You can get some free stuff added to your plan or a pride reduction if you aren't a deadbeat who's always late with the bills.

New Android phone on T-Mo:
http://phandroid.com/guide/t-mobile-g2/
Passed the FCC, so it should be out before too long.

As far as "the next big thing," the Palm Pre release date on Sprint should be announced soon, it looks like the next big smartphone platform. You can get any two phones, data, text for $120/month on SERO (see the thread) or $140/month regular price.

The iPhone costs a decent amount of money over the life of a contract, it's really up to what you think it's worth.

All that said, if I were not under contract right now, I'd wait a few months to see what's coming. The iPhone, in my opinion, is missing features that I would call requirements (MMS, copy/paste). All of which are being fixed in the new software release this summer. If it were an open development platform, I might consider it, but that's just personal preference.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Country/Provider: WV,USA, AT&T

Current Contract Status: 0-year contract, up for renewal

Budget: None/None

-Features I want: This phone is for the Mrs. I'd like to get her a phone with a touch screen, mp3 playback, keyboard (physical or virtual). She doesn't need an iPhone because she won't use the data stuff so I can't justify $30 a month plan. I checked out AT&T's site, and it looks like Samsung has what appears to be decent phones like the Impression and Eternity. However, I'm not familiar with other brands like LG or Pantech. Any recommendations on those brands or the Samsung models I listed?

edit: As for myself I'm up for renewal too. I'm torn between the Fuze and the iPhone. Right now I have a Blackjack 2 so I'm familiar with Windows Mobile. I'm impressed by the features and other functions of the Fuze. However, the iPhone is just as impressive. Everyone I talk to who owns one loves it. I personally do not know anyone with the Fuze, so it's hard to get opinions from people in the flesh.

What are some pros and cons for each?

You can ask about the Fuze in the Touch Pro thread, they're the same phone. You'll get people who love, hate and love/hate it. I'm a big fan of Windows Mobile being more of a pocket computer than a walled garden like Android or the iPhone, although WinMo is definitely in need of an overhaul. I can deal with its bullshit since it requires absolutely no hacking to do anything you want.

The iPhone can be pretty open but it requires more hacking and every new software update requires a new hack or you have to deal not being able to use stuff like Pandora or Skype over 3G even though you're paying out the rear end for it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

Uhm, you can use Pandora over 3G no problem on an iPhone.

Basically, the split between winmo and iphone is paying more to not use a pain in the rear end interface. Apple Tax. (Have we figured out the dollars and cents on this? is it $10/mo? $15?)

You're right, that's Skype I'm thinking of.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Here's how GPS works. If you want to use the GPS service from your provider, there is a monthly fee as it is a subscription service. If you choose to use another program such as Google Maps, you will have to use a data from your provider, which can typically range from $15-30 dollars. The upside to that is you can also go ahead and use the other data services as well such as email and IM clients.

There's also programs like TomTom that you buy on or load onto a memory card that require no fees after the initial purchase and require no data connection. This is the cheapest option since there's no recurring charges.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

How does that work? Does it NOT pull down data at all? Do you have keep updating the software on your phone by connecting it to a PC? I've seen those apps from TomTom, but I always assumed they were just fancier than using Google Maps or ATT Navigator.

It's the TomTom software that runs on their standalone units ported to WinMo or PalmOS and the maps are stored on the phone so there's no need for an active data connection.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

pragan4 posted:

Current Contract: None
Budget: about $120 max/month for 2 lines. Phones can be up to $200
Phone Features: Good browser, wifi, easy-to-use qwerty keyboard, good phone software (ie no constant ROM updates please)
Plan Features: Friends/Family type thing would be nice (but we can share about 500 minutes), unlimited data, 1000 or so text messages

If the Pre comes out by the time we need it (June 17th at the earliest), we'll probably both get one of those with an EPRP Sprint plan, but if not, is there any iPhone plan that would get us those features for about $120/month? Maybe after a new iPhone is released we can swoop in and pick up some unlocked iPhone 3Gs on ebay to use on t-mobile.

Of the options you mentioned, you will definitely be able to hit your monthly budget with a Pre on EPRP and every rumor has it releasing in the May/June timeframe. I haven't checked T-Mo's prices in a while, but I'm not sure you can get what you're looking for for $60/month per phone, but I really haven't checked out their prices in a while.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

My girlfriend and I are currently on two separate plans with Verizon. She has a family plan with her grandmother on the second line, and I have an individual 39.99/mo plan with $10 text.

We want to change things up a bit when both contracts are up (mine in August, hers at the end of September). We're planning on signing up for the $109 EPRP plan, and probably getting two Pres.

The plan then would be to get her grandmother on a per-use plan with Verizon, which based on her usage would keep the bill in the $10-15 range and under each month. The key with grandma is keeping everything the same on her end when we make our switch. She'll keep the phone she has and the number she has, ideally, so nothing changes from her POV. She is across the country from us, so being able to do all of this without getting her or the phone to a Verizon store would be really really great. The only issue I see is getting through an age verification.

Anyway, how would we do this most efficiently, so that we all retain our numbers? My thought, from reading this forum:

1. Wait out contracts at this point, not worth the ETF for either of us.
2. Purchase cheap prepaid phones that we can transfer our current numbers to. Can this be done without having the current phone with us (for grandma)?
3. Sign up for EPRP, buy 2 Pres (will we be able to buy two at the $199 new customer rate, or is that just for the first phone on a new plan?), transfer numbers again.
3b. Sign up for senior per-use plan, transfer grandma's number back.
4. ...
5. Profit!

Is it even necessary to move grandma's number back and forth, or can we just sign her up for the new VZW plan when we get the prepaid phones and transfer the number to the new plan right away? Do we need to even get prepaid phones first ourselves? I've never dealt with transferring numbers before, obviously. :v:

Also, I've thought about getting a prepaid phone anyway for the month or two that I'm off contract, before they are, to save me some money, so I may do the double transfer thing myself either way.

Transfer grandma to her senior plan directly. Just call support and make the change once her contract is up. Tell them you want to remove her from the family plan, put her on her own senior plan, and just leave the other two lines on the original family plan.

Now, go to the EPRP site and buy a Pre and tell Sprint to port your numbers when it asks during the ordering process. This will automatically cancel your VZW family plan since there will be no lines left on it. Once your old numbers are on Sprint, you can call VZW and make sure but you should be fine.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Dameius posted:

In your personal opinion, would you go for Diamond or Pro? I've demoed a few software keyboards and they are not as bad as I thought they were but I haven't really used a keyboard like on the Pro so... thoughts?

You have 30 days to trade if you don't like the one you pick. Diamond has no microSD card slot, that's something to consider as well.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Country/Provider:

USA (AT&T)

Current contract status:

AT&T, old AT&T Wireless contract

Budget (phone/plan):

$150 phone

Features I know I want:
Something comparable to the LG Rumor. I've got a Tmobile SDA right now, and would really like 3G and a QWERTY KB. I just bought an AT&T Tilt/HTC Kaiser, but I can't handle the lack of buttons on the front. I use my speed dial 90% of the time, and a touchscreen just doesn't jive with my need. Its now for sale, looking for something else.

NO iPhone. A BB isn't out of the question, but I need the phone to be slim enough to fit in a side pocket (the Tilt is the biggest phone that'll fit).

If you want a BB, Sprint EPRP and a BB Tour is the best deal:
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplaySelPhoneDetail?phoneSKU=SP9630RIM&id9=vanity:tour

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I didn't even know the iPhone data plan was double until reading this thread today. How did anyone stand for that bullshit?

It's not how anyone stood for it, it's that people stood in lines to buy a locked phone and pay extra for it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

All Else Failed posted:

Ah crap guess I should've clarified. I do understand that T-Mo and AT&T are the only GSM carriers, therefore the only networks that support the iPhone. I also understand that with T-Mo the iPhone downgrades to EDGE. I just wasn't sure how much of a dealbreaker that is.

From what I've heard about AT&T, I shouldn't join them if I'm concerned about money. I am. :(

So, Sprint you say is cheap and a good network? Do they fit my requirements from my quoted post above pretty well? Like I said I understand that without signing a contract I'll pay out the rear end for a phone but that's totally fine. I think I am reluctantly going to forego the iPhone because of the huge price tag, monthly bills, and reduced performance if I use T-Mo to save some money.

It seems like I could probably find a cheap unlocked enV (the 1st edition) or something for the QWERTY keyboard and hop on my girlfriend's plan without a contract for around 60 bucks unlimited text and 450/min outside network. That looks to be the direction I'm headed in to go the cheap route... can anyone make any corrections or improvements on that?

edit: Consequently, since I can't seem to find the enV unlocked on eBay... where's a good place online to buy unlocked phones? Is the enV even unlockable? I just want a nice QWERTY keyboard for cheap!

EDIT2: Am I an idiot? Can only GSM phones be unlocked which would mean AT&T and T-Mo only? So I can use any other phone with any other network because it's CDMA? God, I think the Euro dude is right. I'm a pretty smart guy and trying to figure out how to NOT get hosed by US cellphone purchasing is destroying my brain.

Right now, for a budget conscious person who also wants a phone that isn't dogshit, I would tell you to wait a bit and get a Blackberry Tour with a Sprint EPRP plan for $60/month, but a contract would be required. Don't bother with an enV, you might as well buy a lovely free phone and save the money. It's a locked-down dumbphone with a keyboard. The EPRP plan is 500 minutes, unlimited text and data. Without a contract, you're going to pay more for a plan.

Even with a contract, you get a 30-day get out of jail free card with any carrier, so you can always bail if you hate the phone or coverage is marginal where you usually are.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

All Else Failed posted:

Sounds to me like you're looking for the same thing I am, roughly. If you look at my dillemma for the past couple pages maybe you'll be satisfied with what I'm looking at. Just waiting to find out from these most-helpful-of-goons if my plan would have to be $70/mo or if I can get it solo for $60/mo then I am probably picking it up this weekend.

You're considering two $60/month plans, one on Verzion, tied with AT&T for the most expensive service but with the absolute worst, most crippled phones of any carrier. They won't activate anything without a Verizon logo on it either, so you're really stuck with dogshit. You'll pay the same on Sprint, get comparable coverage (queue a few people jumping to say either one sucks in their city) but get a nice new smartphone that will let you do a shitton more than a dumbphone. You will have to wait a bit for the Pre (no websales yet at all on any plan and EPRP is web-only) or Tour (not out yet) on the EPRP plan.

The US market is hosed, but there are ways to get a decent deal for what you want if you ignore everything any of them say on TV or tell you in a store.

EDIT: or go with an AT&T family plan and get some unlocked Nokias or something.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

All Else Failed posted:

If you scroll up to my edit I told you I overlooked where the Sprint plan actually covers unlimited data too, which is sexy as gently caress. I decided on getting the Tour on Sprint... I just wanted to know what's up with this EPRP plan cause there was no mentioned of it on the site. Like I said my phone expires tomorrow so I'd like to order the Tour this weekend, there's a plan comparable to the EPRP (450 minutes instead of 500 + everything else) for $70/mo. Plus I get a $100 rebate on the phone for choosing that plan which brings the price tag down to $200 for the Tour.

How long would I likely have to wait to pay $10/mo less? I don't know if it's worth the wait at this point because I need a phone ASAP.

EPRP is a "private" deal, check the Sprint thread for details or Google 'EPRP Russ McGuire' for info to get the deal (it's stupid easy). It only works for new lines, so if you sign up for a regular plan, you'll be on a regular plan. The Tour supposedly comes out on the 20th, but I did not get that from an official source.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lord_Xar posted:

Yeah I looked at the iphone, but I don't think it would fit my budget for monthly payments and I need to have it fit in my pocket.

The most budget conscious plan right now is 3-4 people on the EPRP family plan, $40-$30/month per line respectively, Pre and Tour compatible (as soon as you can order them online). Call mom and dad and ask if they want to get in on that action, or a wife or someone you trust to pay their bill every month.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

samoth posted:

My Sprint contract is up and despite some problems with customer service, I've decided I'll probably stick with them since we get a good discount through work.

I'm currently paying about $53/month for two phones with 550 minutes and text.

I'd like to stay below $100/month (before work discount) and pick up either two Tours or two Pres, what is the best method to do this without breaking the bank?

Call *2 the morning after your contract is up, say "cancel" at the prompt. Retentions will pick up; tell them what they have to do to keep you. The brief version is: "I want two ____ phones and I want to pay less than _____, I need ____ minutes to stay on Sprint, I want unlimited text and data, and I don't want to deal with any mail-in rebates, can you make this happen?"

They should move you to one of the various "Everything" family plans, ship you two new phones overnight (charged to your next bill), and up your contract for 2 years. Don't do this on a Friday or you will have to wait until Monday to get the goods.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

samoth posted:

Thanks. My contract is already up and we're going month to month, will that negatively effect my bargaining ability? I've heard retentions lost a lot of their perks, what could I reasonably expect to get?

gently caress no, it means you can go to another carrier tomorrow if you want. It will make them more responsive. No idea about the perks or whatever, but it's their job to keep you on Sprint as long as you pay a certain amount per person depending on what you want.

I pay next to nothing, so they could really give a poo poo what I do. I never call support unless something is hosed, I try to do all service in-store and just try to stay under the radar.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

OtspIII posted:

Depending on what response I get I'll post a more full-bodied/formal description of my situation, but it might not even be necessary.

I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry Storm, but I heard a lot of bad things about it crashing/having a mediocre interface/not many apps when it first came out. Other than just basic phone stuff all I really want is to be able to gently caress around on AIM/Facebook/Twitter without constant crashing. If things have improved at all since the Storm came out I'll probably go with it.

Blackberry Tour on Sprint EPRP, better price better phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Sorry, I worded that badly. It was the T-Mobile guy that told me. We got to the end of the transaction, I had already snapped out the SIM card, and told him I wanted to port the number (which I mentioned at the beginning). "Yeah, we uh can't do that because its not on a contract..." and gave me a new number for the prepaid SIM. Would I be able to go back and get them to change it? Or is that the kind of thing that needs to be done at the beginning? :confused:

E: Yeah so I just called TMo customer service and had it taken care of in like 10 minutes. We'll see if it works in a day or two. gently caress those dudes in the store.

Dang, I was hoping for something FCC reportable on Verizon.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Wegee posted:

* Country/Provider: USA/Centennial

* Current contract status: Expiring on September 18

* Budget (phone/plan): Looking for a family plan that costs under 150 total

* Features I know I want: Looking for a service with a good family plan. Something that for three phones won't break the bank. Only my phone will be using data, while the other two will be using a minimum of minutes/texts. So really, it's just one phone with full features and the others with the basics. So far, as much I dislike sprint, they look to have the best plans price wise. I'm willing to move to any major company, as Centennial is being bought out by sprint in three weeks.

Though an iPhone looks very tasty if only the thirty dollar date plan wasn't such a turn off.

If cost is your number one, you're right on with Sprint. Look into EPRP (discount plan in the Sprint thread). A three line family plan will be $40/month per line with unlimited text and data on every line. The Blackberry Tour and Palm Pre are their two best smartphones. They are not iPhones, but you already know what those cost and what you can afford. If you must have an iPhone there isn't much that's going to scratch that itch exactly the same way.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

rahepsi posted:

I am interested Smartphone or BlackBerry.

If you want a Blackberry, you are overpaying if you're not on Sprint EPRP (see Sprint thread). Granted, you might be in a place where you're stuck on one provider. Check coverage maps for other carriers and see what they cover. If the only place you don't get coverage is home, Sprint will sell (or give if you complain and their maps says you should be covered) you an Airrave in-home cell site that uses your Internet connection and gives perfect coverage. Oh, and you want the BB Tour, the latest and greatest.

If you want an iPhone, well, you already know what you're up against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

If you absolutely need a phone with a physical keyboard, the Pre is certainly a better choice than the LG Lotus (and it just dropped to $149.99). You need to reframe the way you look at this: you're going to pay $1,440 for Sprint service over the next two years. It'll cost you $1,470 to spend two years with a lovely LG Lotus, it'll cost you $1,590 to spend two years with a Pre, or it'll cost you $1,620 to spend two years with an HTC Hero.

Did you notice the BB Curve for $49? If you're in a crunch and getting EPRP, that's the best "need cheap phone now" deal, period.