Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

The 8330 is a good "cheap phone now" phone. It's outdated but it won't be bad unless you load the thing up with 25 applications. The 83xx models and any 4.5 BlackBerry are notorious for having pitiful amounts of RAM. I got the Curve 8900 because I was doing battery pulls every 8 hours and that is not a joke. The 8330 has 96 MB of RAM which is livable. Too bad Sprint doesn't have the 8530 because that's the 83xx but with a faster processor and a lot more RAM.

Well yes, but if you've ever looked through this thread, there are tons of people paying for EPRP and getting a Rant for QWERTY and won't be convinced that they should spend more on something that isn't complete poo poo. This is a no brainer recommendation in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Gazaville Slugger posted:

So there's a 30 day satisfaction guarantee with the Pre?

I'm going to call Sprint today and wrangle with their customer service to see if I could potentially just sign up with an EPRP with one new phone (for the girlfriend), keep my current phone, and then just wait a month for the Hero. Wish me luck.

30 days to cancel your contract for free or trade phones once.

EDIT: Any phone, not just the Pre.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Flaming Monkey posted:

Current Situation:
Family plan (2 lines) for $70/mo. thru AllTel expiring 24th of this month. I believe it's 900 anytime minutes and 10 favorites anytime for free. Both phones are super thin call/text only.

Desired Situation:
Looking at Sprint mainly. Want at least similar minutes and unlimited data, and no extra charges for navigation and other phone-specific shortcomings. Want to spend under $100/mo. if possible. I hear from co-workers that there is a 20% chevrolet dealership discount I qualify for. I love the Pre (hoping for $99 or less) for myself, and my wife likes the Curve (free). I wouldn't mind getting her the tour if it were cheap enough. I want my current numbers ported over.

Questions:
1.)What is the best way to get what I want?
2.)Should I wait for the HTC hero to come out? My motivation would be to either get it instead of the Pre, or let it drive down the price of the phones I would otherwise want.
3.)Did I miss out on the $1 Pre and Tour deal I see mentioned?

Right now Wirefly has the Pre for $99 and Curve for Free, but it's a big deal that I don't get screwed on the monthly plan. I can't act on it now anyway, because wirefly won't have my current numbers ported when my Alltel contract expires without charging me a $200/line fee. Sprint/Best Buy/Sam's Club seems to be willing to post-port, but don't have the deal I want on the phones.

1) EPRP Family Plan (check Sprint thread), $55/month each and you can add corporate discounts to that. EPRP Family + your 20% is a killer deal.
2) Depends on if you want a hardware keyboard or not and if you want Android or WebOS. You should get your wife the Tour since she'll have it for 2 years or so.
3) Not really sure.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Flaming Monkey posted:

Thanks! That plan would kick rear end. However, when I go to the referal discount list of phones that goes with that plan, the list is very limited. No Pre, no Tour, or anything close. Am I doing something wrong?

Once you log in with the employee ID/email, click the Phones tab, then either All Phones or PDA/Smartphones. The Pre is first on the list.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

Why is it that every phone I want to get someone has something horrible to say about it? Your gripes seem superficial to be honest. The screen resolution was fine for my needs because I won't be watching streaming video. I can't understand morons who pay extra for VCAST or any other carrier equivilent for 8 second video clips. We own a TomTom for GPS, so who cares if the phone doesn't have it? The camera takes decent enough photos for a drat phone, it's not like I'm a professional photographer.

The OS seemed to work just fine in the store. It was responsive, no lag, and stuff was easy to find. The modern smartphones like the Pre and Tour and Storm I handled had considerable application lag (storm is notorious for this), especially the Pre. Sure it can multitask, but when the phone stutters upon executing one of the multitasked screens, I'm a bit iffy.

Yea, compared to a modern smartphone I probably wouldn't do it either, but I'm not trying to compare a 3 year old smartphone to a modern one, because if I was doing that I'd get the new iPhone or whatever. I just want a nifty smartphone with full web browsing ability, SMS/IM, email (POP/IMAP) and maybe a few other features. I certainly don't want to end up paying thousands of dollars for total ownership.

Failing this, what about the Samsung Instinct?

The Instinct is 1000x worse than the Centro. It's a touchscreen dumbphone. If you absolutely can't pay more than a Centro, get it or Blackberry Pearl.

If you aren't going to spring for a newer smartphone, get the Blackberry Curve for $50 if at all possible. This would be better than a Pearl or Centro.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Flaming Monkey posted:

I could not get this to work. Then I switched my zip code to 90210, and everything became available. It must be that they don't offer the same phones in every zip code...

Your original zip may be in an affiliate market. If your parents live in a zip where you can order any phone, do that and just have your bill sent to them for a month, then change your address.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

This jacks up my total cost of ownership my leaps and bounds.

What kind of phone do you use, 900ftjesus?

I have a Touch Pro, that's why I recommended something else. I'd hate to scare you away from smartphones with Windows Mobile.

Recycled Karma posted:

Can you port a number when doing this if the number is in the affiliate market?

You can port a number from one area code to another. They don't care about the origin of the number, it's legal stuff dealing with who technically owns the network where the bill is mailed. Sprint had other companies help build their network back in the day, and most of them have be reincorporated into Sprint, but a few still remain.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
What he said ^

Windows Mobile Standard is bad news, you'll find plenty of programs that won't run on it.

McGuire is the head of some marketing dept, he posted that on his blog. It's 100% legit.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

annoying poo poo

:rolleyes:

No, really, you say it in every thread if you're not taking time to talk about how "evil" CDMA is. Seriously, your poo poo is tired.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

Plenty of people are plenty critical of Windows Mobile, and with good reason.

It's not what you're posting, really, WinMo can be a giant turd. Go read the WinMo thread, plenty of people bag on it, just not with every single post in every single thread. It's entirely the fact that the content of your posts is annoying and tired.

Feel free to complain about it some more when you're back from your vacation.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

Storm or Tour, Storm or Tour.

The Tour is on Sprint and will cost you a shitload less on an EPRP plan than anything on Verizon. I'm also a whore for a real keyboard.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

Well, thanks to circumstances within my family it looks like I'll need to go with the deeply discounted and somewhat dated Palm Centro if I want anything resembling a smartphone.

Oh well, it could be worse right?

EDIT: Ok, it seems I can get a trendy Blackberry in the Curve 8330 persuasion at under $100. It comes down to these two phones: Centro or Curve 8330. Internet forums users, I put the next two years of my phone life into your hands.

The Curve by miles.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chexmix posted:

Country/Provider: Sprint, in the US of A
Current status: I'm on a family plan right now, and not the one in charge. I'd like to stay with it. We have a two-year contract.
Budget (phone/plan): I'd rather not pay much more than $150 for a phone - keep in mind that I currently have a $150 upgrade discount. I already have unlimited data and texting, so phones that take advantage of that are a-okay.

Features I know I want:
I want something good for texting, web browsing, and email - preferably able to sync with Gmail (and multiple accounts a bonus). Right now I have a Rumor and I'd really like to upgrade to something a little more capable + nimble (this thing lags like a motherbitch sometimes). I do like having a physical QWERTY keyboard, but it isn't a requirement. Signal is pretty important, since I do make calls fairly regularly.

Right now, I'm ogling the Hero, which obviously isn't out quite yet. Does anyone have experience with the Hero's onscreen keyboard? Is it pretty usable? I use my phone for e-mail a lot, and I've never had a touchscreen phone before.

Keep in mind that whatever I get, I'll be using for the next two years.

If you can wait a bit longer (Nov 1), Sprint will have another Android phone:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/samsung-moment-for-sprint-first-hands-on/
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/07/samsung-moment-android-qwerty-slider-coming-to-sprint/

Quick and dirty:
But with an 800MHz CPU instead of 528MHz and a full keyboard.
3.5mm headphone jack
Expandable storage up to 32GB
320x480 3.2" AMOLED display (same resolution as the iPhone, not as good as the Hero)

For reference the iPhone is 320x480 at 3.5" so this screen is comparable. The Touch Pro is 640x480 at 2.8", which is kind of a waste at that small size.

EDIT: After seeing the specs on this beast, I will probably wait to see/use it in person before choosing the Hero or the Moment.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Fastbreak/CheerGrrl92

If you want an Android phone (iPhone-like but not an iPhone) get a Sprint EPRP plan ($60/month see the Sprint thread OP) and a Hero now or a Moment on Nov 1 (no keyboard vs keyboard). I advise you wait a week after a phone comes out to find out if it has any weird bugs.

The n900 looks awesome but you're stuck with T-Mobile's tiny 3G footprint which is fine if you're in a bigger city. You can always buy a new phone on contact, buy an n900, and then sell the new phone you got on contract to offset the cost of the n900. Just make sure to get something with good resale value.

Don't bother with Windows Mobile until WinMo 7 comes out, not worth the trouble when there's so many cool phones coming out.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

This is what I've been thinking to myself a lot. If I could get Sense on the Moment, I would. hearing that the hero only has a 16-bit color screen has turned me off slightly. Honestly, I'll probably go with the Hero or mytouch (depending on what I choose, tmo's announcement needs to come sooner, mytouch will likely be fender version), and find a way to get sense on the mytouch if I go that route without making it run slower then hell.

There is no reason Sense can't be ported to any Android device unless HTC has gone out of their way to prevent it.

I was thinking that 800MHz will be nice for console emulation and just a faster UI in general. I'm definitely waiting until Dec or so to see where the cards fall since these aren't two HTC phones and one is missing the keyboard.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I never got a response but I know you guys are busy and can't respond to every other dork so I'll just throw it out there again:

Current Provider: AT&T, out of contract
Current Phone: at&t lg zenon
Budget: 50-60
other: i get 15% off at at&t or 20% off at sprint because of my employer

is there a plan or whatever with at&t that will let me get a lot of texts and at least some data (just enough to watch sports scores at work)? i don't give a poo poo about minutes i talk on the phone relatively rarely. or would i be better off forgetting that i already have the at&t phone (i didn't pay for it) and going with a prepaid plan or another provider?

Data is all or pay-per-KB, there's no plans that I know of that aren't "unlimited". If you're only concerned about plans, just go to their site and price what you want. You'll get what you want cheaper on Sprint with your discount, but you'd have to buy a new phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Fastbreak posted:

I always liked the idea of being able to switch phones whenever I wanted with a GSM phone, and I just worry about that if I go to Verizon or Sprint. Twice I have put my SIM card in my backup phone, a cheap 40 dollar phone, because my S500I was having problems and I still needed to make calls. Then when I got it sorted, I switched back. That won't be an option for Verizon or Sprint right?

You can change your phone at sprint.com (it's called an ESN swap). It just means you're swapping the ESN (electronic serial number) of the phone on your line. Not as convenient as a SIM, but works for what you want to do.

I don't know much about Verizon other than they cost a lot more than Sprint for no real benefit.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Fastbreak posted:

I am just drooling over the HTC droid phone. And I would get a discount for Verizon since my company works with them, but I am also a grad student so I think I get a sprint discount?

Would you say the 2 networks really are pretty much the same other than price?

Not sure about your discount, but check out Sprint EPRP vs your VZW discount. Sprint will give you free calls to any mobile phone on any network, which is a nice deal. EPRP comes with everything you might want (GPS Nav, Sprint TV, data, text) and they don't do the hassling for upgrades thing anymore.

The networks are mostly the same, especially in bigger cities. I'd wait to see what VZW does to the Android phones before committing, they have a history of gimping phones. If they sell good Android phones and you can get a decent plan price, then it's not a bad deal really, it's just that they're notorious for higher prices and gimped phones.

As it stands, I would wait and see the Sprint Hero and Moment and compare them to the new VZW Android phones. You're going to end up with your phone for 2 years, so I would recommend waiting to see who comes out with the best ones here in the next few weeks unless you need one right away. By that I mean wait to see if any of them have some terrible problem like terrible battery life or poor reception, etc.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Fastbreak posted:

Gotcha, thanks. The hero does look really really nice, but I keep hearing horror stories about sprint from people personally. They are usually bitchy anyways so whatever. I will wait for the droid to launch on the 6th and then decide.

Also, I was looking more into the HTC droid phone for verizon, is there a reason they are calling it gimped? Is 528MHZ that bad? It also comes with Android 1.5, but can't I upgrade that if I want? I apologize for all the simple questions, just trying to play catch up on the Market.

The 528MHz Verizon HTC phone is basically the Sprint Hero as far as hardware. It's not bad but the Samsung Moment is 800MHz and Snapdragon phones are hitting in 2010 at 1GHz. The other VZW Android phone is the Moto Droid, which is (I think) 600MHz, but with a better screen.

Specs-wise, they're all too close to call until they're out in my opinion.

Every carrier gives you the option to cancel a contract in the first 30-days without paying any fees, so make your decision on pricing and hardware. If the carrier you're stuck with based on those things pisses you off or sucks where you are, then bail and go the other route.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

imonlyapuppet posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / Currently on Verizon, open to whatever.

# Current contract status: Currently on a Verizon family plan and own an LG Chocolate 3. I can get out of this family plan whenever I want. My parents cover the costs of the plan right now. I am open to switching to any carrier.

# Budget (phone/plan): I'm graduating from college in december, and my birthday is two days before christmas, so it's looking like the phones' going to be a gift, with the plan being my responsibility to pay. That said, probably $200 for the phone, $90 max for the plan. I'm hoping to get a friend to join me in a family plan (if this is possible) and split the cost of it so we both pay less. Any idea if it's possible to just buy a smartphone and stay on the family plan (possibly just paying some sort of additional fee, maybe $30 or something? If so, this would be much cheaper then switching to another carrier, even if i split a family plan with a friend)

# Features I know I want: I'm tired of having a dumbphone. I know several people with iPhones, and they're a ton of fun. I've always wanted one. I send a lot of texts, so I need a phone that I can text on easily. I feel like I have trouble using touchscreen or QWERTY keyboards (I've always used phones with T9 on a standard keypad) - but I assume this is because I've never used them before, and I'll get used to it. I want to have internet access wherever I go, not just confined to WiFi spots. Camera is essential but it doesn't have to be an amazing camera. Video would be cool, too, but not a deciding factor. I want functionality and flexibility. I love the apps that the iPhone has

I've never owned a smartphone, and I've only my friends' iPhones before, and I like it a lot. I've got a Macbook, and I can't go back to a PC - my Macbook (and the OS) works flawlessly, it's simple, fun, and it never has problems. Same with my iPod, I would never consider a Zune or anything else. I'm "an Apple person," I suppose. That's why I'm considering the iPhone over everything else (also, I love the way the texts display like an IM conversation). But I'm not sure if their phones/AT&T are as good as their computers. Also, I'm using a Macbook as my only computer, not sure if that has any pros or cons associated with either the iPhone or any other non-Apple smartphone.

I've looked up some previews of the Verizon Droid (I've never used an Android phone before), and it looks like it's getting good reviews. I don't know anything about Android and have never used it before. I've heard the keyboard for the Droid sucks, which is a big thing for me since I text so often. I don't need to decide until December, so I can wait for the Droid to be released and see how it fares against the iPhone. But the iPhone has so many apps, and I'm a big Apple fan as it is. I'm worried the Droid, while posessing better hardware, just suffers from not being as simple and reliable as an Apple product and the huge variety of apps in the iPhone community.

I feel like since I'm graduating from college and going into the "real world" (also, gift opportunities), it's time to get away from my dumbphone and update to some modern technology, to have the internet always at my fingertips, not just email but web browsing, youtube, pictures, video, etc as well. I'm ready for a phone I can actually have "fun" with instead of just talking and texting. (Spoiled by technology, i know).

Sorry if this is not specific enough, feel free to ask questions and I will answer.

Android is a very simple OS to use, don't let that make your decision. I was in a store checking out the marketplace, and downloaded and installed Pandora within a minute, never having used that phone in my life. If you want a lot of program selection, I would say your options should be an Android phone or the iPhone.

You're making a big purchase, don't guess. Go spend an hour or more in the store with each phone. Physical vs virtual keyboards are not something someone can tell you about, you have to make that call on your own.

Good news is, you can cancel a contract within 30 days, penalty free (excluding maybe a restocking fee because you got a brand new phone they now have to treat as a refurb). The family plan thing should be possible and should be cheaper than a solo line. Remember, $90/month sounds low, but multiply that by 24 months and you're over $2000 in two years plus the cost of the phone. Just something to keep in mind while you shop.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

imonlyapuppet posted:

I'll go by the Verizon store in a week or so when the Droid is released and play with it. I'm worried the Droid/Android is TOO simple, and too basic, as it looks like it's being marketed towards older, business users, rather than the hip, young, iphone crowd.

I would say it's the exact opposite of that (not necessarily the marketing). Android is a more open, less controlled OS where the iPhone is restricted to exactly what Apps Apple allows on it. Google retains some control of the marketplace, but they won't forbid Opera from releasing a browser on Android. Android is all about having more choices and more flexibility, the iPhone is about using the phone Apple has designed exactly how they want you to use it.

If you're ok with that, it's not a bad phone at all. Just don't be fooled that a simple UI means it's a dumbphone, it's extremely capable.

Good place to see what programs you can get:
http://androidstats.com/home/categories

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Bonefish posted:

Our 4 Person ATT plan runs out soon!

The plan consists of my brother, my parents and I. My brother and I want Internet on our phones, more specifically, we would like to get a an Android (2.0 hopefully) or and iPhone. Our parents do not need internet, but it kind of looks like it’s all or nothing with most plans. We hardly need any minutes, but pretty much need unlimited text (though 1500 a mo. Isn’t killing us at the moment).

Our goal is to get as close to $130 a month as possible.

Also, Is it possible (or getting close to being possible) to get an Android Phone on Cricket, they seems like they have the best priced plan out there.

If cost is your biggest concern, Sprint EPRP Family Plan, 4 lines is $139/month + tax, 1600 minutes, free calls to any wireless phone on any carrier, unlimited text and data on all lines, Sprint Nav (turn by turn) is also included.

They have Android phones and the new Palm phones are easy enough for tech-impaired parents to learn pretty quickly. Since you get the free data, might as well get phones that can use it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Bonefish posted:

drat, thanks guys. That looks like the winner.

I just got the Moment, and I'm really digging an 800MHz phone. My 2 cents. The Hero is perfectly acceptable if you like an on-screen keyboard.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Coda A27 posted:

Country/Provider: T-MOBILE, USA, Long Island, New York
Current contract status: FREE
Budget (phone/plan):
-Phone: $2-250.
-Budget: I'm currently (over)paying for a Regional Plan at $72/mo after taxes. 3000 minutes (the best month out of the past six I hit 1300) and 1000 text (I can go up to 800 in a good month). So, anything cheaper than this.
Features I know I want:
-Phone: QWERTY keyboard. Gmail access. Web browsing for weather, directions, google queries. OPTIONAL: Camera, Facebook integration, WiFi, WLAN (WAN point)
-Budget: Juggling minutes, texts, and possible data plan.

1. I don't know how useful WiFi would prove to be, is it a real minute-saver?
2. The WLAN option is for having always-on access for my netbook-to-be (partly pipe dream, I don't think I'd use it very often, and from what I can tell with GSMARENA.com phone finder any WLAN option is really pricey anyway).

Plan: Sprint EPRP (see Sprint thread) $59/month, unlimited text and data, free Sprint Nav, 500 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile regardless of carrier. The only time you use minutes is calls to landline phones between 7am and 7pm.

Phone: Samsung Moment. Does/has everything you listed and a lot more.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

Ji

You definitely want the moment. If you want a hardware keyboard, the moment probably has one of the better ones. The tour is nice,but android is the way to go.

Seconding this. The Moment is fast as all hell and Sprint said it's getting Android 2.1 in 2010, so you're not going to be stuck on 1.5. Although, if you're coming from WinMo, 1.5 is fast and a much more solid OS.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint with contract you can get the Moment or Hero at $179 (after $100 mail in rebate) with the Everything Data plan of $69.99. Plan includes unlimited calling to any cell phone (verizon, att, sprint whatever), unlimited text, unlimited data, navigation, etc. 450 mins for calling landlines, nights/weekends at 7pm. You CAN get a discount on this plan, which is what makes it that much cooler.

Why would you not recommend EPRP over Everything Data? More minutes, less cost.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Because I have not known of its existence. I sell Sprint, but i work for an indirect store, so i can't sell that plan so i have not known of it. Checking it out over on the Sprint plan, obviously if you can get it great.

@Nate Fisher the problem is you just resigned contracts. Did you get new phones/contracts on ALL 4 lines (looks like you did)? You can use the upgrade on any phone for any line.

You are on the data plan which means you are a premier customer (or should be). Your MAINLINE is eligible for an upgrade every year, so just give it another 8 months. The phones you got are all pretty good phones.

Hey quick question, what is SERO stand for, still getting used to the abbreviations here.

You can't sell EPRP in a store it's web-only. It's the employee referral plan that's $59/month, 500 minutes and exactly like Everything Data otherwise, the family plan version is $110 for 2 lines and $15 for each additional line, making a 5-line plan a steal (about $35/month per line). If you want a Blackberry or Pre, it's the way to go. See the Sprint thread OP for details, anyone can get it.

SERO was the old Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Sprint sold a 500 minute version of Everything Data for $30/month only requiring an employee's email address to sign up. The best deal in the history of cell phone plans. Fatwallet quickly made them regret this and they're trying to get rid of it by not allowing newer phones on the plan (Pre, Android, Pixi, etc.), the Touch Pro 2 is the only newer phone allowed on the plan.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

on Verizon.

He's in Canada.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint Plan: $69.99 a month.

Why not Sprint EPRP with 50 extra minutes for $10 less per month?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is starting to reverse itself, however for 3G internet I do recommend Verizon, they just have better coverage and the pricing is the same.

Mostly wrong. If you live outside a city of any real size the coverage may be better with VZW but pricing is a no brainer, Mifi on Sprint EPRP for $50/month.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Lowest Sprint family plan is $119-$129. Any Mobile, unlimited text, unlimited data (including smartphone), unlimited gps, etc. Do you work anywhere, it is eligible for company discounts (IE Wal-mart employees gets 25% off a month, etc).

TMobile you may be able to hit $80-90 with no internet, but not completely sure. You won't be able to move her to TMo until August, you can obviously go to Sprint at any time.

I swear you're some kind of idiot. Stop suggesting retail Sprint plans. EPRP is $109 + $15 per line.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

Exchange support is terrible with android unless you pony up 20 bucks for Touchdown Exchange (best thing for activesync for gmail).

The Moment comes with Moxier Mail installed, it's $29 on the market otherwise, and I have no complaints about it so far or found anything it can't do.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Curious, any way to get that for other Android phones?

Really? My post said "it's $29 on the market" specifically. It's actually $24.99, but still.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

Sprint/USA

Family plan with unlimited data and texting etc.

I currently have the HTC Touch Pro. Sprint is offering to replace it with the Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Treo Pro, and I think the HTC Snap. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the TP2 and the Pre, but I can't really decide which one to go with? Does anyone have experience with either? What would you recommend. I would rather an android phone, but that's not an option, although I guess I could wait for android to be ported to the TP2, or try to trade it with someone. I need to be able to make it through a day (7ish to 7ish) without scrambling for a charger on moderate usage. I found the rom situation with the tp a little intimidating, but I also really like to have the options there as far as apps and customization goes.

You can take the TP2 and sell it on craigslist for about $300, then buy your Android phone of choice. The TP2 sells for $300 with contract so it's pretty easy to sell used, without a contract at that price or even $350.

If you don't want to buy the Android phone first, you should get a really cheap phone to activate in the mean time if you don't have an old one lying around. Swapping phones can be done from your account on sprint.com now so you won't need to call or go to a store for this.

Remember to meet the person you're buying a phone form in a Sprint store so they can check the ESN and verify it's not lost or stolen, and then just go ahead an activate it there.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Eyecannon posted:

Hmmm no hardware keyboard on the Hero... does the Moment have a 3.5mm jack?

Sprint is rumored to be getting the HTC Legend (Hero 2) and HTC Supersonic (4G jesus-phone) both Android 2.1 devices soon. The bitch is that neither one has a real keyboard. I'm torn. No official date has been announced for either one.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

After being hosed by US Cellular several times in several ways, my boyfriend canceled his plan completely. He's pretty tired of dealing with the stupid contract-based companies so we were looking for a good prepaid service. He mostly just wants minutes and text but any bonus stuff like prepaid Internet would be nice too. We just want to know which providers are worth looking into, especially for our area (SW Wisconsin).

T-Mobile Even More Plus plans require no contract and start at $40/month for talk and text. You will have to buy a phone at full price from them or an unlocked phone elsewhere.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Part of my area is covered by a "partner" rather than T-Mobile itself . . . is that OK usually?

It would really depend on a lot of things. Ask someone you know with T-Mo service.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of $500 give or take $50.

I would like the following:

-A large high-quality screen for watching videos and crap

-A good quality camera preferably 8MP but willing to settle for 5

-Support for a variety of audio and video formats, not just MP4 and MP3 or whatever

-Wifi and GPS

-Full HTML browser and email support

Things I'm uncertain about :

-Not sure if I need a touchscreen

-Not sure if I need a physical keyboard (slide out or something)

-What kind of OS is a good choice

Wait for the Sprint EVO 4G this June. If you must get a phone right now, get the Nexus One.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

Except for the Evo's 4.3'' screen against the Incredible's 3.7''.

Also, Sprint has cheaper plans. Look at EPRP in the Sprint thread for more.

He's already on Sprint, so getting on EPRP would require him to move his number to a prepaid line, then open an EPRP line and move it back. Or just cancel and get a completely new number with EPRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Nereid posted:

e: didn't read the OP, lol

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon

Current contract status:
Upgrade on 4/29

Budget (phone/plan):
Free to <$150

Features I know I want:
1. Decent battery life - I text a lot.
2. Smart Phone :v:

Features that would be nice:
1. Non-sucking internet interface - the ability to connect to wifi.
2. Camera
3. Sexy?

Hello everyone, I have an upgrade next thursday! :dance:

I want to get a smart phone, I'm on Verizon and paying for their BS data plan is annoying, but not too much of an issue.

My dad has the HTC Eris, I like it a lot, but I also like the new Motorola that has come out, the Devour. Has anyone got it and could tell me a bit about it? I've always been a Motorola person, but my MOTO is dying and I need to get a better phone for myself now that I'm (almost) out of college.

If you like the Eris, get the Incredible, it's VZW's best Android phone by far.