Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

* Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
* Current contract status: Out of contract, paying month to month
* Budget (phone/plan): somewhat flexible
* Features I know I want: 3g Smart Phone

My family plan's contracts are all up and we're planning to switch off Verizon. I've been more or less assigned to figure out which service to switch to since they're not so good with technology. I want to get a smart phone, everyone else just wants basic stuff and limited texting. So really the issues are price, coverage, which phone I'd like to get, and how the carriers compare in customer service and phone options(mainly thinking unlocked phones if we'd want to upgrade down the road)

It seems like at&t and t-mobile are the best 2 options, with at&t offering better coverage and t-mobile offering better price and other factors between the two more or less a wash. Is this accurate? How big of a difference is coverage? I've looked at the maps but I don't really know accurate those are. I'm more concerned about coverage in metro areas than rural areas, so i'm more worried about which one is not going to work in random houses and buildings in a big city for no reason. Mainly in the Houston and Austin area if that helps.

As for the phone for myself, i've mainly narrowed it down to a g1, iphone, or one of the HTC touchs. Are there any other phones along these lines that should be seriously considered too? How does battery life compare between the 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

brc64 posted:

I can't speak for the G1 or iPhone, but my own personal experience says that most modern smartphones need to be charged every day. You shouldn't have much trouble getting through the day on a full charge, but make sure to recharge it at night.

Also avoid car chargers whenever possible (this is with any phone, really), as they shorten your battery life over time

Do you intend to do a lot of text messaging?
Yeah, charging every night isn't a problem for me I expect that. I just want to make sure it can make it through a day fine with a decent amount of usage, I've heard some bad stories. I'm not in the car much anyway so thats not a problem.

I do a moderate amount of text messaging. I guess its hard for me to decide between the options because there is not like one big thing i'm worried about, I just want the most versatility and functionality. I think i'm leaning towards the g1 for android and the keyboard.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

My main drawback from Sprint is from what I know they're not very good as far as phone options and unlockable phones go, so if down the line I want to upgrade I could be screwed. The only thing holding me back on t-mobile is my questions of coverage more or less.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Carrier: T-mobile but could be open to change, no contract currently

I've had the Nexus 6 for awhile and unfortunately cracked the screen the other day. It's usable but not great. I was hoping it'd go at least another 6-12 months before I needed to consider a new phone but welp. I really, really like having a 6in phone and don't want anything smaller (ok maybe like 5.9). I don't really want a 5.5 but would consider it, anything smaller is out. (I know lots of people don't like huge phones but I do having used plenty of others and well that's what I want.). I am considering different options:

1. Fix the screen or replace it with another nexus 6. Obviously cheapest. I like the phone well enough but feel like I will want to upgrade within a year or so anyway so I don't love this idea, but might be best option.
2. Wait for the Galaxy S8+. From what I hear it sounds really promising, rumored to be in the 6.2in range, out in April. I'd prefer not to wait that long but my phone is basically workable if I need to. Also a bit worried about buying a phone on launch.
3. Buy something else - I've looked at the Pixel XL but really would like something larger and the price tag being where it is I don't know that I want to pay that much for a phone I'm not in love with. Also looked at the Mate 9 but it doesn't seem great. Open to others but haven't really found a great fit. I've generally been on the most "pure" google android line for a long time (nexus 6, nexus 4, nexus one, g1) and I know the Pixel is the successor to that, but the price tag is obviously a lot higher and I'd prefer it to be bigger. Could be sold on the XL, probably the currently available upgrade I'd like the most.

Tl;dr I want a 6~ in phone and it doesn't seem like this is a great time to buy one. (correct me if I am wrong here) I can afford whatever price range but don't want to really go 500+ unless its a phone that I'm into. Also I guess I should note I only want Android. Anything I'm missing? Stay with the N6 until there's a better time to upgrade, Pixel XL, wait on S8+, or other?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Wait a month

i'm currently doing this fwiw, i want to see the S8+ and the LG G6 and probably will get one of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Honestly the biggest drawback to me is there is not a pixel that has a large enough screen. I want a bigger screen than the pixel offers and relatedly strongly prefer not having a bezel that wastes space on the size of the phone, and it seems like multiple options for that will be out in the next month or so. I don't really care at all about the camera. Its likely true that the software will run better on the pixel, and I'd prefer a product from google over others, but the size factor as well as other potential specs like water resistance are more important to me. I'm not sure which phone I want since I'm waiting on releases and reviews, but I don't really want to spend premium dollars on a phone that doesn't clear one of my first hurdles even if the software is the best on the market.

edit: Although one thing I'm eyeing now too is there is a rumored larger sized phone coming with Pixel 2, which could be exactly what I want. But looks to be quite a bit later this year.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 26, 2017