Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
* Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

* Current contract status: 1 year left

* Budget (phone): up to $200 for a phone

* Features I know I want: basic phone with a decent camera and mp3 ringtones

I have a Nokia 6126 now and it's going crazy on me. Sometimes when I call people it sounds like I'm underwater or something and the phone likes to "reset" in the middle of calls. I called AT&T customer support and my warranty expired last month, so I just want to get a new phone and swap my SIM card into it.

So, I want a phone that can make and recieve calls and texts well, maybe play some games, take decent pictures, and have custom ringtones. I'd like to stick with Nokia, but I'm willing to switch. I don't want a smartphone or PDA style anything. I've tried looking on CNET and some other sites and there are just so many phones and conflicting reviews that I got really lost. please help me!

e: decided to buy a nokia 6300, I hope I like it :)

Laminator fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I'm currently on an expired family plan contract with AT&T, and I'm looking to get a "smartphone," or at least something that can browse the internet and check e-mail. I also text quite a bit, so I want an actual keyboard, don't care if it's touchpad or slideout or whatever.

I'm tempted by the Virgin Mobile plans, and they're having a sale on their phones at the moment. The Samsung Intercept and LG Rumor Touch look like they would suit my needs just fine. I've read some CNET reviews for both of them, only to get conflicting information - some say the phones are slow and have terrible battery life, others say they work fine and the battery lasts for days...

Which phone (of the two above) would you guys recommend? Are there any comparative monthly plan alternatives to Virgin Mobile that you'd recommend over Virgin?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Yeah, I'm not looking to get a phone that's top of the line or to run crazy apps or anything, just something that's an upgrade over the Nokia candybar I have now.

What kind of bugs are we talking here? Like it can't function properly doing basics like calling and texting? Or is it more like it's the shittiest smartphone/Android and can't run crazy apps?

I just looked at my monthly minutes used on AT&T and it looks like I use between 500-700 minutes per month, mostly talking to my mom who likes to ramble on during 25 minute calls everyday. Is the $40 virgin plan worth it, or are there better options?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I upgrade from my Galaxy S3 and wanted to retain expandable storage and removable battery, so I want with a Galaxy S5. I got the international SM G-900F version because I wanted to use able to use the phone outside the US if necessary.

I'm now finding out that after having it for about a month and never getting faster than HSPA+ speeds that it basically cannot operate on US LTE bands? I'm just verifying this is correct and the information I'm finding online is correct? How in the gently caress does this make any sense whatsoever?