Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'll toss my issue in. I'm looking for something comparable to the functionality of an iPhone that I can get without a contract, and maybe staying on Verizon (I'm in the DC area and the coverage is best here). I could care less about MP3 playback (happy with my iPod), do some text messaging, but mainly I want web access without breaking the bank and cool apps (Urbanspoon caught my attention, although I could be fine just accessing their site). Right now I have a Moto RAZR and a contract that expires in March.

The iPhone is really cool to use for net, GoogleMaps, apps, when I use my friend's but I seriously question whether entering a two year contract and the high non-contract price tag is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

My problem with T-Mobile is I had horrible coverage and customer service from them two years ago, which led to me switching to Verizon.

What about the Blackberry Storm? I'd be fine sticking with Verizon for another year or two contract, plus I should get some funds for the 2 Every New deal. Only downside appears to be that the monthly cost works out to $10 more than ATT/iPhone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Steinbeck posted:

The general consensus is that the Storm is a very poor device:

Thanks for the help. Actually, after I made my post I tried the Storm and hated it. It was buggy (QWERTY keyboard typed numbers instead of letters), opening programs or going from portrait to landscape was laggy as hell, and having to actually press the screen just feels weird and cheap. I really want to stay with Verizon since most of my calls are in-network and may buy the Omnia, but I'm going to try the iPhone again and see how the rumored $99 4gb Wal-Mart launch plays out.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Trying to decide between a LG G4 ($549) and HTC One M9 ($599), both at full price.

Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Features I know I want: Good camera. Timely OS updates. Get through a day of music playing and 3-4 hours internet/video use. I'm clumsy so durability is nice, more of an issue with G4 due to size.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Thanks. I actually tried a G4 in my pocket and it wasn't bad. Doesn't seem worth waiting for the Moto X 2015 because my work is willing to cover part of a new phone's cost right now.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

What is the general opinion on Swappa for buying a phone? I tend to be rough on phones, especially headphone jacks, so I pretty consistently get a year to 18 months out of one, so it seems worth saving the money to buy used.

Returned the G4 because it was too wide to comfortably use with one hand, 5.2" is the biggest I can handle and I need MicroSD or 64gb+. Looking at HTC One M9, Galaxy S6 128gb (crazy expensive), or maybe the Moto X 2015 when it comes out. I only want to spend up to $499 so I'm hoping for sales or a good used market. On Verizon, so most device deals on EBay don't help since they're GSM devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Javid posted:

Is there anywhere you can finance a phone other than by a carrier? I like my prepaid plan but want to upgrade to a less ancient iphone without dropping $600 at once.

Best Buy credit card. I think Apple offers financing too.