Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Country/Provider: I'm in Ohio in the US.

Current contract status: Currently I'm using TextNow on a Galaxy S4. It's under $20 a month, which is nice, but I only get 500mb of data, which sucks.

Budget (phone/plan): I'm willing to go up to $30-40 a month if I can get more data.

Features I know I want: More data and it seems like I'll need a new phone for most other networks as well. I'd like a phone that has an SD slot and a removable battery, if possible.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I'm finally thinking about upgrading from my years-old Galaxy S8.

I think I want to stick with a Galaxy, but I'm kind of waffling between the S10 Plus or the S20 (or S20+/Ultra). The price on a refurbed S10+ is attractive, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money to jump to the S20s camera/5g capabilites.

I'd love some input from anyone who's tried both phones before I pull the trigger on anything.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
My wife and I are looking for to snag some new phones, and are willing to change providers/join a family plan together to do it. I'm using a Galaxy S20 with Mint and she's using a Galaxy Note 10 on T-Mobile.

It's been forever since I've used any service but random prepaid providers and I've bought older, used, unlocked phones through Swappa or friends in the past.

Ideally we'd like discounted phones in exchange for signing up for a 2-year deal or whatever, and it's absolutely impossible to use Google to find any helpful information anymore, so I'd love some goon input on what a good option would be for us.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Duckman2008 posted:

So, what are you paying monthly right now between the two?

You can get discounted phones, but the monthly has a decent chance of being higher than what you are currently paying on Mint.

Going from Mint to postpaid, you could see a coverage difference (specifically data speeds), so a side question is are you happy with Mint ?

Example: Verizon is $140 + tax and fees (so $152) for 2 people and 2 new phones. If you don’t need priority data and mobile hotspot, it can be $110 before tax and fees (if either of you are military, first responders, teacher, nurse or student you can get an extra discount).

Anyway, can clarify from there. I assume you’re both looking for the S24 ?

I'm paying $40/mo for Mint and she's paying $40/mo for T-Mobile prepaid, both for unlimited data. We're willing to go up a little bit in order to score new phones, but not trying to double our phone bills or anything like that.

We're both happy with our providers, service-wise. We're mostly on wifi at home or work and don't need priority data.

I'd like the S24, personally, but I'm also willing to go back a model to the S23 or potentially switch brands if need be.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, even T-Mobile is gonna be a lot more than that for 2 lines.

I personally would recommend buying phones full retail and staying where you are at.

Samsung might have a promo buying full retail for. Them, but not sure.

Thanks. I think we might just snag some unlocked S23s or something similar and forge onward with Mint.

That said, I haven't bought a phone in a couple years. Is Swappa still a legit used phone source or is there something obviously better I sound use?