Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
O2 UK users:

I'm hopefully getting an N82 (I wanted an N85, but the N82 is that much cheaper, and does what I want minus the pretty menus from fp2, so what can you do?) for Christmas, sim-free.

I've been with O2 for around 8 years on PAYG (My sim is so old it still has the "Genie" branding on it!), and as a network, I'm pretty happy with them, I've settled on the Simplicty 20 contract (600 mins/1000 texts, which is more than adequate for me, I also can't get tied into a contract, as I may not be going to Japan for a year in the next 10 months), and will be using the free web bolt on.

My questions are thus:

1. What's the excessive usage policy like in real terms? I can only really see myself checking email via IMAP a couple of times a day (set up in the s60 native app, rather than the gmail interface), bit of google maps, occasional rss feed checking (google reader mobile), light web browsing.

Is this likely to get me in any bother?

There is the possibility I would occasionally use IM on it, maybe stream some videos from youtube etc, stream some online radio/last.fm type stuff.

I did wonder about connecting it to my netbook as a modem (with that Joikuspot thing), but I don't ever envisage a situation where I'd be that depserate for "full" net access.

I figured I'd leave the "heavy" connection stuff for home (downloading podcasts), which would help.

2. Is the wi-fi bolt on worth getting? There's quite a few of the O2 wi-fi (and non-O2 as well) places where I live, but I've always been able to connect to them for free when using my netbook (which is with me more often than not), I assume I would be able to do the same with my phone? I also don't really go many places apart from home, uni, or my boyfriend's place, and I've always got "proper" net connections there.

I'm starting to think the wi-fi addition probably isn't worth it, but wanted some user comparisions first.

Basically, as someone who is so used to PAYG (and stretching out that last 50p of credit...), I would like to avoid the possibility of going over the £20/£27.50 a month I'll be paying upfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU