Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Provider: Currently Sprint, but ok with switching
Budget: ~$70 monthly

My Sprint plan ends in May and I have no problem switching if it means a good deal. Need about 300 minutes/month, ~600 texts. Would love something with the ability to install cool 3rd party apps, unlimited internet poo poo, touchscreen a bonus. Looks-wise I'm digging the Verizon XV6900 but it gets lovely reviews and I'm not sure I'd like the absence of an actual keyboard. Basically I'm in love with the iPhone but throw up at the thought of paying for one. Do I have any options at my price level?

Alternatively (since I think the answer to the above is likely a resounding "no") I'm liking the Samsung M520 - thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

900ftjesus posted:

Sprint Everything Data plan is $70/month. That is unlimited data, unlimited text, Sprint Nav (turn-by-turn GPS directions), and 450 Minutes. Verizon will charge you somewhere around $90-100/month for that.

I'd suggest the Touch Pro (keyboard) or Diamond (no keyboard) if you want a Windows Mobile phone, the XV6900 is old now, much better stuff is available.
I'm afraid to fall in love with this phone, gorgeous as it is. I've been hitting sites throughout the day, sometimes logged in and sometimes not, and I've currently got one Sprint window open showing this phone at $474 (gently caress), and another showing it at $200 (yay). My history with Sprint tells me that $200 deal isn't for me, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

When you say $70, is that including fees, i.e. is that what my bill would be, or just where it starts?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ok, I should've expected that. Alright then, if I'm looking at around $80 a month for this phone, and an iPhone appears to be around $85 (plus fees) per month, am I crazy in figuring that the iPhone isn't really that much more expensive?

I'm not really trying to talk myself into it...yet.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Can I expect any leeway from Sprint in regards to longtime-customer discounts? For instance if I login to the website (I'm nearing the end of a two-year contract, I think I get my $150 discount starting March 1) and go searching for upgrades, the Touch Diamond (God I want this phone) is showing something ridiculous like $475. If I hit the site without logging in, however, it's $199 for new signups thanks to all the rebates and savings. Am I hosed, or if I bitch and moan to the right people can I get the same deal?

900ftjesus posted:

If she insists on a flip, get a used m610 off eBay. I still have mine, it's a great dumbphone.
It's funny, I've got an m610 and love mine too, and even at ~3 years old I still have people asking me "What kind of phone is that?," thinking it's something new and state of the art. And it's neither, it's just really, really thin.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I hope you're right, and that's what I'm going to push for, I just remember in the past getting screwed because Sprint had more interest in getting new customers than keeping old ones, and so gave them better prices. That was before you could leave and take your number with you, though, so I'm guessing (hoping) now they're more willing to work to keep me.