Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
After about two years I've just about had it with my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Got it as part of a joint offer two years ago and the contract just ended. Issues I'm experiencing is that the battery life is getting shittier every day(Factory reset did nothing), and the battery was replaced last year because the original one was showing signs of bulging and as a result the phone was crashing all the time. The lack of updates and support from Samsung is also quite terrible, as a result I'm still on 4.1. I'd install Cyanogenmod but there are some apps I have that require the phone to not be rooted.

I don't wanna sign up for another joint offer due to the overall cost, and my budget is a bit on the limited side(200 euros tops) For this reason I've already been looking at the 2nd gen Motorola E and Motorola G, and a coworker suggested I get a Xiaomi. Storage space is not really all that important, but the presence of a MicroSD slot is one of my requirements(Also helps if it's easily reached without having to pull the battery, as in the S3 Mini Samsung decided that the best place was under the battery)

Country: Belgium. Not locked into any plans anymore and not planning to.

Main requirements: Stable, decent speeds, good battery life, decent (rear)camera, readable screen(I read a lot of ebooks on this thing), decent performance for navigation(Google Maps and Navigator), I occasionally also use it with Autoguard as a dashcam. I don't game or watch movies on my phone. Design is not important, neither is size(Don't have a need for huge high-res screens) Would prefer it to be Android since I already have a few purchased apps.

I'm kind of done with Samsung as a brand due to the terrible support wrt updates, previous phone was a Galaxy S which had a show-stopping bug(random hard freezes when looking at the Applications list) on the final FW version(2.6.3) they never fixed(Ended up flashing Cyanogenmod on it, but that made it just slow as hell) and their current offers don't look interesting at all to me.

Anything else I should be aware of on the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Smoke posted:

After about two years I've just about had it with my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Got it as part of a joint offer two years ago and the contract just ended. Issues I'm experiencing is that the battery life is getting shittier every day(Factory reset did nothing), and the battery was replaced last year because the original one was showing signs of bulging and as a result the phone was crashing all the time. The lack of updates and support from Samsung is also quite terrible, as a result I'm still on 4.1. I'd install Cyanogenmod but there are some apps I have that require the phone to not be rooted.

I don't wanna sign up for another joint offer due to the overall cost, and my budget is a bit on the limited side(200 euros tops) For this reason I've already been looking at the 2nd gen Motorola E and Motorola G, and a coworker suggested I get a Xiaomi. Storage space is not really all that important, but the presence of a MicroSD slot is one of my requirements(Also helps if it's easily reached without having to pull the battery, as in the S3 Mini Samsung decided that the best place was under the battery)

Country: Belgium. Not locked into any plans anymore and not planning to.

Main requirements: Stable, decent speeds, good battery life, decent (rear)camera, readable screen(I read a lot of ebooks on this thing), decent performance for navigation(Google Maps and Navigator), I occasionally also use it with Autoguard as a dashcam. I don't game or watch movies on my phone. Design is not important, neither is size(Don't have a need for huge high-res screens) Would prefer it to be Android since I already have a few purchased apps.

I'm kind of done with Samsung as a brand due to the terrible support wrt updates, previous phone was a Galaxy S which had a show-stopping bug(random hard freezes when looking at the Applications list) on the final FW version(2.6.3) they never fixed(Ended up flashing Cyanogenmod on it, but that made it just slow as hell) and their current offers don't look interesting at all to me.

Anything else I should be aware of on the market?

Quotin' dis because I've been looking around lately and I'm less sure of what I want. Most of the Android stuff in my pricerange seems to be poo poo or will be poo poo in a year or so, so I've expanded my options to include Windowsphones. Already ditched the Motorola E because it seems fairly limited.

The Lumia 640 especially looks pretty nice for its price, I'm just a bit worried about app availability. Budget is also free to go up a bit.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Spatule posted:

For the love of god do not get a Windows phone. There are no apps. I had one until last year and it was also buggy as hell.
You are going to have to look at less mainstream brands if you want something cheap and decent with Android, like Xiaomi, Huawei, Acer.

Edit: buy online. Amazon Germany and French and Dutch online stores have better price too.

Moto G fits the bill, great phone, 160€ online.

Moto G looks to be about 180-190 to get in/to Belgium at first sight, and I haven't seen them around any stores. I could always hop over the border and get one in The Netherlands.

The reason I looked at the Lumia 640 is because it's new and getting a lot of positive reviews, and I'm kind of disappointed in Android overall. This might also just be because of Samsung, Touchwiz and getting phones that are suddenly seemingly EOLed two months after buying them and have lovely battery life that only gets shittier the more you use them. This is also why I don't want to spend too much, I'll most likely end up replacing it after 2-3 years anyway.

It does seem to be a bit scarce in terms of apps, but as long as I have ebooks and navigation I don't really need anything more(Both banks I'm with don't have an app for WinPhone though, but I can live with that, since my new primary bank uses a SecurID for logging in rather than a card reader), I can keep my current phone around for some tasks since my ISP also gives me a free data SIM card.

I have an irrational hatred for Acer due to terrible experiences with their desktops and laptops over the past decade despite never owning any actual Acer hardware.

No experience with Huawei outside of USB cellular datamodems, and I can't really find too much from European users about their phones. I do see them all over the place in stores nowadays though.

I kinda kept away from Chinese phones due to shipping times, support levels and the fact that I'll have to install Google services myself. Not that I can't do it, just don't want to deal with it.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Alright, it's time for me to replace my Nokia 6.1 after 3 years of loyal service. The screen is cracked and it appears to suffer from a lack of RAM, storage is also feeling tiny these days.

I don't plan on switching plans or providers as I'm in a pretty decent place as far as monthly costs goes and my provider doesn't really have anything special to offer in terms of phones with a plan.

I'm looking in the low to midrange of phones but my requirements might seem a bit weird: Basically I don't want to downgrade from the 6.1's featureset and specs, which means I'd like a screen that's at least 1920x1080, 5GHz wireless (not 5G) support, NFC and a USB-C port, and preferably Android One or a similar update/upgrade cycle. I was looking at the Nokia 5.4 earlier but that doesn't have 5GHz and a lower-res screen, same for the Moto G9 Power (although that one does have 5GHz), which do fit the budget I have in mind. The Nokia X10 fits the bill but is on the expensive side compared to the other two. Any models I'm missing? I'm in eastern Europe if it matters.

EDIT: Forgot purpose, I'll be using it as a GPS/music player via Bluetooth in the car, webbrowsing, Youtube videos and reading ebooks as well as regular phone tasks. No gaming or anything like that.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Alright, after two years it's time to retire my Nokia G50 as it's starting to have odd random issues and slowdowns as well as randomly shutting down background apps or not synching correctly. I got this one as part of a plan and it's paid off now, but I'd like to see what else is out there. As far as plans go I'm already covered by a good one.

I'm in Eastern Europe (Bulgaria) so the market's a bit different here. Right now I'm looking at spending about $300 tops on something that'll carry me through the next few years. I'm eyeing the Nokia G60 because in all aspects it looks like it'll fit the bill for my needs.

Requirements: Pretty much just basic phone use. I don't game and I just need to be able to take decent photos if needed as I've got a DSLR. I'll also be using a work profile on it for work-related stuff (Teams/Outlook). NFC for contactless payments, 5GHz Wi-Fi and a good fingerprint scanner are also hard requirements although I don't really know if there's even any phones left without that. MicroSD card support and a 3.5mm jack would be nice as well.

I'd rather not go Samsung as I've got some bad experiences with them and dislike the UI, and I've got pretty decent experiences with Nokia so far. Any other brands/models I should be considering? I like my Android to be as stock as possible.