Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Country/Provider: T-Mobile/Midwest USA

Current contract status: Off official contract with current phone (TM506 Sony Ericsson)

Budget (phone/plan): $300 for phone, ~$50-60 for data/talk plan

Features I know I want: 2-3gb data, ~500 minutes talk. Not so interested in tethering or other fancy options for the most part.

My current phone is getting flaky with receiving calls, and dialing out occasionally, so therefore I'm looking at another new phone. I've experienced the lack of ability to call out inside certain buildings too, but that's more of a limitation of the frequency band that T-Mobile uses, rather than the phone.

I had been looking at my first step towards a smart phone, either Android-based or iPhone...I'm not necessarily biased either way. With regards to both iPhones not being available on T-Mobile (if ever) and dialing issues inside buildings, though, I realize I may have to look at either AT&T or Verizon.

The HTC Sensation or the Samsung Galaxy S2 are what I've been looking at for Android-based offerings, and both seem to be decent choices.

Any suggesions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Regarding providers, from my previous question....

Any providers that appear to do better inside of buildings? I forget exactly where I had asked previously, but some buildings completely shut off any ability to call out, while I've been on T-Mobile. The answer I received, is that it was probably the provider, since they use the higher frequencies/band on their phones.

Any other info that could be gleaned about this? Thanks.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Country/Provider: USA/ATT
Current contract status: Grandfathered Mobile Share 3GB (+3GB) Plan, month-to-month.
Monthly : ~$75 currently
Budget: <$399 phone (see below)
Features I know I want: Battery life, decent flexibility plans with international calling.

I've been looking at possibly switching away from AT&T, for something that might be a bit less money for (roughly) the same amount of data...Even if I tend to be pretty damned light with data/roaming; I usually use wifi most of the time.

Current point : I've got a 64GB IPhone SE, that I can unlock; I have been considering Verizon, as I can get a discount through my job to knock monthly down to $49.87. (before fees/taxes)

It's still not possible to move a GSM IPhone over to a CDMA provider, is it? Trying to factor in what I could potentially get for around the same amount by trading it in (which I am anticipating I will have to do)

Also, what might be a recommended comparable Android model phone, should I decide to go that route instead?

Google Fi looks semi-interesting, but I realize the choice in phones is quite limited. Out of the choices, would simply breaking down and getting a Pixel 2 be the best choice? Not so sure about the Moto X4 models.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

Your iPhone SE would work on Verizon, you just have to request ATT to unlock it. Att.com/deviceunlock

I assume you are looking at the 5GB single plan. $60, $55 with autopay, $50ish with a work discount.

Verizon is offering $150 to bring your own device as a port, so you should qualify to bring your SE over, get $150, main term is they charge back the $150 if you leave before 6 months.

If you do switch, feel free to reach out and I can send you a referral code.

I had bought my SE from an Apple store; the unlock process would still go through ATT, correct?

Tests I've done through Verizon's site seem to agree with your assessment that porting it over should work...Just verifying. Guess I could always check at a store too.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Know I had asked some point back about providers. (specifically Verizon in that case)

While I realize little tends to be better than Verizon for overall coverage and penetration, thought I'd ask also about TMobile - Does their connection tend to suck rocks with regards to thicker walls/ceilings as it has in the past? Disregarding the newer bands that may or not be implemented in a lot of phones yet, of course.

It would appear that the Iphone SE I have should be able to go to either provider, (once unlocked of course) but I'd wanted to ask anyway.

Outside of keeping the SE I have, if I was to get something new/tradein, is the general recommendation to get either an Iphone 8 or Pixel/Pixel2?

Was looking at a shared/family variety of plan, looking at whatever $50-55/month would get me - 2-5GB of data (or possiblyTMobile's 10GB family plan that I glanced at earlier today) generally works fine, most of my time is on wifi and I am not streaming movies at all.

I'm currently on an older ATT plan, and of course the latest non-unlimited tier plan is positively awful for me price-wise.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Currently have an iPhone SE, and the (original) battery is beginning to show its age, particularly when there's more than a bit of changes in temperature. Could be at 75% + and doesn't get used for a bit and there's a significant temperature drop, it'll shut down complaining it's almost out of juice.

I had thought of the SE 2, but who knows when that will actually make it over here to the states, with Covid straining the supply line everywhere currently.

That said, what would be a good recommendation to eventually move to? Can be either iOS or Android.

edit : If it helps, I am currently with Verizon, but am open to other carriers if there happens to be a decent deal for a 3-5gb/month plan.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Hi,

Curious, which Android-based phones compare relatively similarly to Apple's 2020 refresh of their SE model?

Before I got my older model SE some years back, the consensus seemed to be that going Apple was about the best price/performance ratio, even by those who were die-hard Android users....There just wasn't a great pick that wasn't overpriced, I guess?

The newer model SE hasn't been bad, but the screen definitely feels dimmer than the 1st edition, and battery life isn't quite what I'd like from it.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

Pixel 6 and 6 Pro have very good reviews if you’re ok with the price points (which also aren’t that bad, just standard).

Which of the two will have better battery life?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Grouchio posted:

I'm switching from a Motorola G5 Plus with a Republic wireless plan that will carry over. Lots of dead zones in my neck of Maine woods. Willing to spend up to $600.

Should I get a Google Pixel 6 or 5A, or even a Pro? Or a different phone brand? Looking for excellent wifi/night camera optics.

The recommendation from further up the page (at least for me) seems to be for a 6 Pro, if you can swing it - Better camera at least, and better refresh, which might or might not be a must-have feature in your case.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Regarding a 6/6 Pro, is it better to get one brand new, or to go through a site like Swappa instead?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
As I ponder between a Pixel 6 or 7, (Non-pro - The pro models appear to be the magnet regarding stuff breaking with every update, for some reason, for what it matters) I've been torn between Swappa or getting a renewed one via Amazon; The Tensor CPU is largely the biggest change between the 6/7, correct? If it is, probably trying for a 6 will more or less be the direction I'd go.

As Pixel 6's might be tougher to get new/used, is there any advantage using Swappa over Amazon renewed in this case? I'd possibly even consider SA-Mart as well, if one popped up.

E: Oh, and going for either unlocked/Verizon so far as carrier.

Killer_B fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 13, 2023

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

I would def do Swappa over Amazon, swappa is def not perfect but you’re much less likely to have an issue.

It depends on the pricing difference. For the normal $100 difference get the most recent. If you find a 6 for $200-300 less used, then sure that’s not awful.

Assuming you have consumer Verizon post paid, did you call Verizon and ask about trade in options ? To emphasize: mileage varies , but sometimes they have retention offers of $400-700 trade towards the most recent pixel , so it is worth asking. Note: any discounts are essentially a 3 year contract, so that’s the trade off there.

Verizon sales department: (800) 256-4646

Finally: both the reg and the Pro are fine, if there are known issues with the Pros for either I haven’t seen them pop up. That said, the regular 6 and 7 aren’t bad, the Pros just have a higher refresh rate and def a better camera.

I haven't checked, though the phone I've currently got likely isn't worth very much so far as trading in, it's a gen2 iPhone SE. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the current concept, anyway.)

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Any idea when/if the regular Pixel 7 might have any deals again, now that the 7a's out?

I'm aware that the 6a is currently $299 via the Google Store/Amazon, kicking myself a little bit that I didn't snag the 7 @ $450 a couple of months ago.

Also, what's the current suggestion for getting prepaid minutes/data SIM cards for going to EU?

I have used Verizon's travel plans in the past, but @$10/day, (I know there's other methods available) I'd like something that's going to work for navigating and not always having wifi available.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have Verizon postpaid they may have a retention trade in towards the 7, main disclaimer is it’ll require a 3 year contract.

Does it necessarily require a new line be added to it?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For the previous two posts, I would suggest either Pixels or Samsung phones. I personally don't like Samsung phones, but I know a lot of people are happy with them. My Pixel 6 is easily my favorite phone ever, and the Pixel 6a I got my dad is also a great phone. Since both of you talk about keeping phones for a reasonable length of time both Google and Samsung support their phones for a goodly amount of time.

For that same reason I would strongly recommend AGAINST Motorola. They have the worst software support of any major phone manufacturer, and reviews of their phones often don't mention this. Since being acquired by Lenovo several years back Motorola has a pattern of lying about Android version updates, short support windows, and late security updates. The hardware itself is often fine, but the software support is worst-in-class.

With either the 6/6A, how has battery life been? Looking on some other boards, folks have complained about their 6's having horrible battery life/getting hot.

I'm not sure if that's a hardware issue, OS issue, app issue, (think twitter/tiktok being super battery drainers) or a user/5G issue.

True about Motorola phones, the only thing that they still push as being great are the batteries, but one can get larger sized batteries from Samsung/Google nowadays for around that $300-400 price range that are likely better in every way, hardware & support-wise.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
What's the best established option for taking my US-based provider phone (Verizon) overseas to EU?

It'll be later this fall, I recognize that I could simply pay the $10/day going through Verizon, but I was also looking at options for simply getting a SIM card, either via Amazon, or when I get to a EU country.

Might get a dual-SIM phone sometime soon, the recognized preference is to put your states-based info on the eSIM, and use the EU SIM as the physical one, correct?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

How many days are you there ?

I will be there a little under 14 days.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Branch Nvidian posted:

Does your plan give you Travel Pass days? I’ve accumulated like 12 of them just because of the plan I’m on.

I am going to guess probably not, I am on a grandfathered (no longer available) plan, "The new Verizon Plan Single Smartphone 5 GB" plan, that's 5GB/month for $47 before fees/taxes - Ends up being just under $60/month.

I'm not sure it's worth upgrading to the lowest tier unlimited plan, am I correct?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Hughmoris posted:

Swappa has Good/Mint condition Pixel 7 phones for sale for ~$400. Good deal?

My Pixel 4 XL died so currently sitting on my cracked Pixel 3. My carrier is Google Fi but I've heard nothing but nightmares of ordering phones through them.

The potential issue with Swappa, is that most of the time these days I've found most of the sellers to be bulk warehouse resellers, and they use a generic photo that's meant to be representative of the phone being sold.

Now, not having used Swappa, it might be an issue if one's looking to get WYSIWYG regarding the product, and possibly getting something that might have an (un)known issue with it, but I'm not sure one can take the reviews at face value, as well. I guess at least if Paypal's being used, there's buyer protection, but I've no anecdote to use as a reference.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Got an A54.

Killer_B fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 8, 2023

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
What would be the best choice for a hotspot/similar for Verizon on a grandfathered post-paid $45-55 montly plan?

I haven't looked REALLY closely because it looks like they'd be looking for every reason to bump me off of that, and put me on one of their "unlimited" plans instead.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you on the 2GB or 5GB plan?

That said, yeah, you would have to go to the $80 plan and it won’t make sense.

I am on the 5GB plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

lol yeah, it won’t make sense.

You plan is $55 + $7 old plan sir charge (I know it’s dumb). So $62

Unlimited plan is $80 with 30GB phone mobile hotspot. If you want a separate mobile hotspot that’s $10-20 a month.

If you are military, teacher, student, nurse or first responder you get $10 off the unlimited plan.

Would there be additional possibility if the plan were to go pre-paid instead? Looking over on their website, it's looking like possibly, though not necessarily anything that's better unfortunately.