Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckSteak
Jul 7, 2005
It seems my lurk here is done.
* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon
* Current contract status: Contract ended. Verizon still gives me best service. Continuing on $45/mo including simple web on a RAZR. I have $50 off an upgraded Verizon phone.
* Budget (phone/plan): I almost never text. I mostly talk to Verizon users (free in-network) and use few minutes (definitely < 450 min). I want the web available for occasional email but I do not need super-fast unlimited data or expensive BlackBerry email. So, I shouldn’t need to spend much more than $40/mo total.
* Features I know I want:
--Email – Prefer GMail. I would not use it constantly, but I still want a better keypad than RAZR provides.
--MP3 player – I’ve never owned an MP3 player or an Apple product (so iTunes is a slight disadvantage). I think I’m due for a player by now.
--Good Camera – Optional, very low priority. I don’t have a camera though so it would be handy.
--Santa gave me a cool car GPS device, so I do not need GPS.
--Calendar – Prefer Google Calendar (or at least a sync with it). Also a to-do list or note taker. I need to keep my life organized when on the move.
--Video, Games, cool Apps, sizable screen, maybe a Web Browser – I think I should get an iPod Touch in addition to a Verizon phone. Is there a real alternative?

I’m thinking of buying two devices:
1) Verizon phone for talking and rare ($2/MB) email.
2) iPod Touch (or a competing device) for free/better email and web browsing at Wi-Fi spots, MP3s, video, games, apps, maybe calendar.

These phones have caught my eye:
1) LG Dare – Good keyboard, great camera, solid reviews. $80 purchase.
2) LG Voyager – Much better keyboard, mediocre camera. $50 purchase.
3) Pay-As-You-Go Verizon phone. Samsung SCH-u340, Samsung Suke, Samsung SCH-u430, LG VX5500, Verizon Wireless Blitz, Nokia 6205, MOTO W755. I talk infrequently on the phone (and mostly in-network), so this might be much less than $40/mo. I would not have a 2-year contract and could jump ship later. The phones don’t look great though.

Reviews say the Dare-Voyager comparison is mostly a matter of how much typing I plan to do.

Also, I would buy one device now and the other in 3-4 months. Which choice makes more sense:
1) Buy phone now. Later get a cheaper or newer media device.
2) Buy iPod Touch now. Keep my off-contract RAZR $45/mo. Later get a better new phone.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckSteak
Jul 7, 2005
It seems my lurk here is done.

Steinbeck posted:

I just hope you don't enjoy it so much that you feel like getting an iPhone (cause it's an obvious retardation to end up owning an iPod touch and a fruitphone)
I was strongly considering the iPhone until I received the navigation device - until then, the iPhone's Google Maps, widespread internet access, and large screen were very important.

Steinbeck posted:

Just get the ipod touch and enjoy it--it's a really fun mobile device.
You're the boss. I just ordered the 2nd Generation 16GB iPod Touch. I'll keep the RAZR, and I'll be off-contract so I can grab a new phone any time I want. Thanks for the advice.