Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Sorry for the aside here, but I figure this is the best place to ask.

I've been in the market for a Motorola Q for a while now, and I'm getting terribly confused by what I see on eBay and elsewhere online.

I've tried checking what the differences are between a Q9/Q9e/Q9H/Q9 Global, etc. etc.
Other forums are at GameFAQs levels of clarity, and if I'm going to be getting one of these phones, I don't want one that's either crippled with locked features or has a lovely firmware or something...

Can someone help please? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

kalibar posted:

Q (Q-anything, really) is a junk phone on Windows Mobile Standard which is a junk platform. If you like the QWERTY-bar form factor, good options do exist.

Get a Treo 800w if you're on Sprint (or wait until January for the 850w, an improvement in many but not all ways), get a Samsung Epix or Treo Pro if you're on AT&T.

Change carriers if you're on Verizon or T-Mobile.

No need to worry about carriers there, I'm on Rogers (pay as you go, no less :v:) up here in :canada:

My main concern with any of these GSM models is if I can use the phone by popping my SIM in and also send texts and stuff. Sure, a smartphone is overkill for now as I don't need Mobile Outlook and what have you, but later maybe I'll need it. The issue now is to be able to use the device without having a 3G/data plan.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

kalibar posted:

:eng101:

Awesome, thanks for your help! :)