Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I'm going to try to go cell phone shopping today and was hoping I could get some advice, I kind of don't want something like an Iphone or a blackberry, but might be convinced

• Country/Provider: South Eastern United States

• Current contract status: I have no contracts, but my current phone uses Verizon under my parents plan.

• Budget (phone/plan): I'm looking to hopefully buy the phone for less than 200 dollars and then have my plan be about 50-70 dollars a month for just me.

• Features I know I want: I know I want unlimited texting (AIM/GTalk Would be great!), Qwerty Keyboard, Durability (able to fly about in a pocket full of change and pens)

• Features I want but are not deal breakers: I'd like just enough web to looks up driving directions and possibly gps so that If I'm out with friends and we want to find something I just have to put in a search and then we can follow my phone to destination (so an unlimited data plan would be good too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
yea, I believe we just started getting t-mobile in SC, too. I think I will look deeper into it. wouldI be able to buy the phone from somewhere like amazon and then start my plan with t-mobile? or would it be best for me to just go to the nearest t-mobile store and start talking to them?

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

waspinator posted:

I'd go to the nearest store. As far as I know without a new service plan the phone is 400$, with a plan, 180$

Welp. the one thing that worries me is that T-Mobile in my town only has a three bar coverage rating, we live close to the interstate though, so we get ok coverage, but I wonder if even using 3G with them would be slow. We have At&t and Alltell stores in our town and that's really it, I don't know if having a provider that has an office close by is good or not.

Also the G1 looks like a great phone but it's kind of overkill for what I want. I was kind of hoping I could find a flip phone that could do that stuff.. but it looks like there's no such luck.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Ok, I've come to the conclusion that the smart phones are still too pricey per month and some don't have every single feature I would desire if I were to get one (except the G1 but I'm going to wait for their to be at least 4 or 6 phones that use Android before I decide to go that route)

So what I'm going to do is get a regular flip phone, possibly from nokia..

I was looking at the Nokia 6600 Fold on PhoneScoop.com and it seems to have all the features I'd like to see in a dumbphone but it's not available in the US at all. Is there a good, (possibly) cheaper phone that I might want to check out? and what are the best plans to go with when you're getting a phone like this, Right now I'm considering only T-Mobile or At&t as providers.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If you were willing to elaborate on your issues with the smartphone market we might be able to find something that works for you. If you do go down this road, for either one you have to be careful, since both AT&T and T-Mobile use non-standard and mutually incompatible 3G bands. If you're going for AT&T look for 850/1900 3G (you might get away with just 1900, but not just 850), and if T-Mobile look for either 1700 or 1700/2100 (2100 alone won't do). You'll still need 850/1900 GSM (2G) as a fallback for either one.

I guess my main qualm is that all smartphones are candy bars, also I fear I would find myself using the internet even more than I already do. Mostly the candy bar thing, I want to be able to have my phone sit in my pockt without pocketdialing anyone or the screen getting scratched, I tend to walk with quite a few art supplies in my pocket or such so I don't want to have to worry about babying the thing. and since I only want to use about 3 of a smartphones many features (talking/texting/gps) I don't really see why I should get something for 300+.

however, if I did have one and could use it to stream something like one of my favorite internet radio stations like http://woxy.com then that'd be tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I felt I would post this here since my phone search is still on this page. I found this "unlocked" phone on ebay here and was wondering if this looks like utter bullshit to you guys.. I still have to use AT&T it looks like so that doesn't sound unlocked at all. (then again I'm not savvy in this at all)