Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
This is a bit of an odd situation, but here goes:

Country/Provider: USA, Sprint
Current contract status: 10 months to go out of a 2 yr contract
Budget (phone/plan): up to $125, but preferably under $100, must be used/no contract renewal
Features I know I want: Smart (ish) phone, decent web services

I currently have a Palm Centro, and smashed my screen when I stepped on it like a clumsy idiot. I was going to get a Pre, but now I think I'm going to wait a few months for Pre feedback, as well as seeing if the rumored iPhone 2,1 is in the works. The iPhone is rumored for June, so we'll say it has to least me until at least then, but potentially through the end of my contract in the event I don't want to pay an ETF if I jump to ATT.

Even though the Centro was getting on my nerves, I think I would like to have another smart-ish phone, so I don't want anything too basic. Good IM/text/mail capability would be terrific, and something with a usable browser would be even better.

Some things I've considered:

HTC Mogul - Heard people are making a hacked-up version of Android run on this, and the phone seems acceptable for me even without that. Looks like it goes just a bit under $100

HTC Touch - comes in just over $100 from what I see on eBay. Another smart phone.

"teen" phones, such as the Rant, Rumor, etc - would probably be decent for text, but probably be disappointing for other "smart" functions

My big problem is that I'm not used to buying used phones, so I don't really know what is practical for my price range, what is available, etc.

If you have a phone to sell you think would fit the bill, I do have an SA-Mart thread set up already, and if I do like the phone we can carry out the transaction there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU