Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

CitizenKrang posted:

Any thoughts?

You're going to need to spend more than $200 on an off-contract/unlocked phone to get what you're asking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

"[chavez posted:

"]
* Features I know I want: Movie & Video. I ride the train to work for over an hour a day so having video to watch on the train is super important. I also prefer a sliding form factor, and hate flip phones.
Why not just get a dedicated mobile video player?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

voodoonoid posted:

I have a Blackjack that I have had for 2 years and it has started to breakdown on me.

Country/Provider: US/ AT&T

Current contract status: I have been with AT&T for almost 10 years and have never had a problem with them. $49.99 1500 anytime minutes (I caught them while they had a sale and was able to keep it when I bought the Blackjack.)

Budget:$200-$300. Plus I know I may be adding a data plan for the phone I am looking at.

Features I know I want: My current life has put me cross country from the rest of my family ( i am in NY while my family is in CA.) We text eachother like crazy which was why I liked the Blackjack because the keyboard worked perfectly. I was looking at either a Blackberry or jumping the shark and getting an iPhone since I saw the 8G was within my range. I do use my phone for internet access if my computer is not available, but I do not use my phone for music and such. I do however take a lot of pictures with my phone that I end up sending.

I guess what I am looking for is a phone that doesn't drop calls, has an easy to use keyboard, can take pictures and send them without ease. And internet access when I need it. Am I looking at either a Blackberry or iPhone or another phone all together?

Assuming your budget means 'after rebate price,' I'd recommend the Blackberry Bold or the HTC Fuze.

If I remember correctly, the Fuze has the best camera available on AT&T-branded phones, and the keyboard is pretty decent. It's also a pretty powerful device with a huge development community.

I've had the Bold for a couple weeks now and it's by far the best messaging device I've ever owned. The keyboard is a class above everything else, and the Blackberry OS is one of the fastest and most well-thought out OSes on the market.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You've pretty much covered all available options, unless you want to hold out for the Nokia N97. I've heard a ton of complaints about the Storm, but otherwise your options are all good and it mostly depends on which one you like best.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The last I heard the X1a has been pushed back to January 9th.

From what I've read, the X1a and the Fuze are essentially identical devices for the most part. Except the X1a costs about $300 more than the Fuze off-contract. Boy Genius Report has a decent comparison of the two, if you're curious.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

thebushcommander posted:

Essentially the same although the X1 has a larger screen with higher resolution. I used a Fuze/touch pro for about a month and just couldn't get into Windows Mobile and the touch screen, specifically in TF3D was shoddy at best.

Yeah I thought the Fuze was a decent device but I don't regret exchanging it for a Bold. Sounds like you want the iPhone then...or nothing.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

thebushcommander posted:

Yeah I am probably going to pick one up tonight. Though I am seeing a lot of good things about the bold. The lack of touchscreen though isn't cool though. It seems somehow behind the times.

To be honest, I think touchscreens are entirely overrated. They're nice for web-browsing and a few other minor things here and there, but for the most part they're no more than a nicety. I find that the trackball on the Bold works pretty well for just about everything (it's basically just a slight step below a mouse, really). The dealbreaker for me is that the Bold's keyboard is absolutely in a class of its own at the top. For what it's worth, my phone usage patterns are very similar to yours and I think the Bold is by far the best phone I've ever had.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

adamrobertt posted:

Whoops, somehow missed this thread. Sorry! :downs:

Anyway, I'm looking for a new phone. I've decided that I want a slider. I've had pretty much all form factors, and I think I prefer sliders the most. My budget is under $200.

I don't really need a lot of multimedia features - I don't use the internet on my phone, I don't check my email on my phone, I don't use GPS on my phone, etc. I pretty much just make calls, send texts, and the occasional picture message.

I've been looking at the Motorola Z9. It looks pretty nice, and I've seen them for under $200 on eBay. What else is out there? I'm on ATT. Thanks

The Sony Ericsson W760a is pretty comparable to the Z9. If you want to go even cheaper, since you don't need features, the Sony Ericsson W580i and S500i (same form factor and pretty much the same specs, just a few cosmetic differences) are nice, small sliders.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

adamrobertt posted:

I need a new phone.

I am not eligibile for an upgrade, and I have a pretty limited budget. Can anyone help me find a good phone for under $150? I'll be looking for unlocked phones on eBay.

So far I'm considering:
LG Shine
Motorola U9
Samsung A737

Any other ideas? I'm not really too concerned with all the fancy bells and whistles. I basically need a relatively compact phone with a good screen, good reception, and a reasonably attractive design.

I have ATT, as well, so I'll be looking for GSM phones.
I liked the Sony Ericsson S500i for the few months that I had it. Very compact and pretty looking, and probably the best slider I've ever experienced. It can be had for right around $150, probably even less on eBay.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

jeeves posted:

I take it that Sony Ericson is not a fold-open-with-a-qwerty-keyboard type phone?

SE doesn't have any phones like that.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Overbite posted:

I've been trying to decide on a phone but I can't pick one. I want one with a decent camera, mp3 ringtones (able to use my own mp3), good reception, and under $100. There are so many I can't decide :(
I'm sorry, that wasn't vague enough for me. Could you be a little less specific?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Edit: nm missed some poo poo from before

Noctone fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 21, 2009

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Steinbeck posted:

Basically, the split between winmo and iphone is paying more to not use a pain in the rear end interface. Apple Tax. (Have we figured out the dollars and cents on this? is it $10/mo? $15?)

The data plans for the Fuze and the iPhone are equal in monthly cost, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

kalibar posted:

Surely you don't mean for the iPhone, do you? Being able to put the iPhone on the $15/month data plan through some kind of hacks or trickery would be pretty neat.

Logic suggests that you'd need to buy a cheapo 3G phone, add the $15/month plan, acquire an iPhone from eBay or similar, jailbreak it, and stuff the SIM in. I just kinda figured that AT&T would sniff the iPhone's IMEI and stick the $30 plan on your bill.

Any insight into this?

I think he was talking about the Fuze, but either way it's irrelevant because, unless I'm misinformed, AT&T has gotten pretty hardcore about using IMEI numbers to make sure people are on the right data plan. I've never had them automatically switch a data plan on me, because I've never tried to use the wrong plan, but I can attest to the fact that they definitely know what phone you have - when I had an unlocked Fuze, briefly, it showed up on OLAM very soon after I'd put the SIM card in and started up the phone.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've been using the MediaMax $15 on my Blackjack 2 for a year or so with no complaints from AT&T.

Fair does.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Joe Don Baker posted:

What? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Fair deal. In other words, you were right.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

K posted:

No more smartphones. Or really, anything super fancy. Something simple.

Godzilla07 posted:

get a nice S60 phone.

Do you see your mistake here?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Godzilla07 posted:

I didn't respond to him. It's you that made the mistake.

Whoooooops. My apologies.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Nizox posted:

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for. Either confirmation what I was thinking about doing was stupid, or an alternative. I guess it's either Iphone, or just a regular phone.

:P

No matter what you do, there's no good reason for your first step not to be buying an iPhone 3GS. They're selling for silly money on eBay. Even if you wanted to buy something lovely like the Xenon or Impression, you could buy the iPhone 3GS, sell it, turn around and buy the Xenon/Impression at no commitment pricing, and still come out making money on the deal.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

900ftjesus posted:

Blackberry Tour on Sprint EPRP, better price better phone.

Not to mention that it's kind of dumb to get a touchscreen-only phone when your primary use is text-heavy applications.

(Although, to be fair, I found typing on the iPhone easier than on a vast majority of phones with hardware keyboards.)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Godzilla07 posted:

Get the Droid Incredible. It's by far and away the best Android phone on Verizon. It's a much-improved version of the Droid Eris.

This. I've had the Eris since it came out and the loving thing drives me bonkers. I like the size of the phone and Android is pretty tits, but for the most part it's a piece of junk. The vibrate on it is virtually useless, which means that I miss calls and don't notice texts on a very frequent basis. Most of the time it moves along alright speed-wise, but it suffers from frequent slowdowns that cause all kinds of frustration. It's gotten to where if I'm doing something with the phone and a text comes in, I know it's coming about three seconds ahead of time because the whole loving phone freezes up. Oh and I frequently have people tell me they can't hear me very well (even when I have great reception).

Since Verizon's no-contract prices on phones are ridiculous, I'm basically just waiting for Sprint or AT&T to have something decent come out so I can jump ship on this piece of junk.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Godzilla07 posted:

I can't remember when the "Advanced Devices ETF" or "rape you for more money" ETF came into play, but it was after you bought the Eris. Get an Evo and Sprint EPRP when it comes out. AT&T and an iPhone if you like paying those prices for that lovely network.

Yeah pretty sure that came into play after I bought it. Wouldn't surprise me if Verizon tried to rape me on it anyways. We'll see. Evo 4G and possibly the new iPhone (haven't really paid much attention to it) are on my radar. Pre Plus still kind of intrigues me (even though I bought and dumped the Pre twice in the past), assuming Palm has gotten their poo poo together on hardware issues (doubt it). It's a shame that the best phone for me (Droid Incredible) is too prohibitively expensive to get in my particular situation. I want off Verizon anyways, the text message delivery delays that they're notorious for have been hitting me pretty hardcore lately and it's really starting to piss me off, and despite having better coverage than AT&T in general they have worse coverage in the most important spots for me.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dan Hollis posted:

My company does not currently allow Android phones, so I would have to buy the Incredible myself for my personal plan, which still leaves me needing a phone for work. Again, I can only get a Blackberry on Verizon or a BB or iPhone from AT&T. By the way,I should mention that I absolutely love my BB Tour, so I've never understood the Blackberry hate on these forums. Most reliable phone I've ever had.

What part(s) of Wisconsin will you be traveling to? That could potentially be very important.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dan Hollis posted:

Verona, WI

According to their coverage maps Verizon and AT&T both have comprehensive 3G coverage there.

Really it's up to you at this point. If you want an iPhone obviously AT&T is your only choice for the time being. Otherwise if you want a Blackberry you have to consider coverage in NYC (AT&T is notoriously wonky there) and whether or not you value simultaneous voice & data service (which only AT&T provides). Verizon just announced that they'll start selling the 9650 next week, and it's virtually identical to the 9700 on AT&T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Definitely look on eBay and craigslist. Verizon has ridiculous full retail prices for their phones, smart or dumb. (Just for example, Verizon sells the Palm Pre Plus for $599.99, whereas AT&T sells it for $399.99.)

Edit: Just for the record, people, you don't have to point out that you need a phone that handles calls and text messaging. All phones make calls, or else they wouldn't be phones. And text messaging has been a basic feature for several years now.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 3, 2010