Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hiyo thread! Looking for a dumbphone replacement for my one that's dying.

Country/Provider: New Zealand/Agnostic
Current: Samsung GT B2710
Budget: Under 250 NZD
Features I want: Durable & IP67, long battery life, compact.

Use case: I go tramping a lot, and I don't use internet features on my phones. Things my phone needs to do: call, text, have a custom uploaded ring tone, and weeks of battery life. Things I don't care about: camera, internet, touch screens. Preferable: Very small size, no mechanical parts (clamshell etc) as they tend to die first.

Since my use case can be described as 'not spending a thousand dollars every two years', there is zero marketing towards what's new on the market. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello thread.

New Zealand is cutting off the 3G network later this year, and so I'll need to upgrade within the next few months. My current phone has done everything I ever needed it to, which is why I kinda ignored society's switch to smartphones. Behold, the Samsung GT-b2710:

My one's still going strong, still got memos to myself from 2013 on it.

So! I'm after a dumbphone that will never, ever, touch the internet, not even to update. Brick form factor, compact, preferably water resistant. Must haves: calling, texting, customizable ring and text noises. Colour screen optional. Must not haves: a touchscreen, modern mobile OS's that will probably break. I have previously bitten the bullet and purchased a CAT B35, which looked like it fit the bill on paper, but the second I tried using it I found that its embedded OS (KaiOS) was a unusable disaster, even after updating it.

So I'm looking for, how shall we say, hand-on experience? Anyone got a family member stuck in the stone age like myself whose phone they'd recommend? Yes, I know that the local mall will have a bunch of POS burner phones that I don't feel like buying a dozen of to find out how each is terrible in its own unique way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for the tips. Nokia bricks aren't sold in NZ for some strange reason, might look into getting one shipped over. Or just buying a series of $30 cheapos and replacing them as they die, as apparently 'nice' dumbphones aren't a market locally =/