Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

(1)

You charge at the head scientist. Just before reaching him you dip your head, connecting strongly with his solar plexus. He falls, gasping for breath. You ready your self to charge at the next suit, that is backing away in fear, but an orange plastic arm reaches across your face from behind. A flower of pain burst in your nose. The waxy, heavy material enters your mouth and you bite down.

You taste blood and hear a scream, and are tackled to the ground by the other suits. The leader stands shakily and pulls a pistol out of the environment suit pocket.

“I’m sorry Jonathan, you knew what the risks are.”

You ready yourself for death. You never did anything for anyone else in your lovely life, and you vow that if you live through the next few seconds you will be a better person.

The gun fires, and the bloody, torn armed suit slumps to the floor.

“What a waste. Sedate the subject. We will try again tomorrow.”

YOU ACTUALLY DECIDED TO SINGLE HANDEDLY ATTACK A GROUP OF PEOPLE, WHILE YOUR ARMS ARE FLOPPY LIKE loving FISH. ARE YOU SOFT IN THE HEAD?

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

• Country/Provider: UK

• Current contract status: Up for renewal within 30 days

• Budget (phone/plan): My total budget for the year is about £300, so split that between a new phone and the monthly cost

• Features I know I want: 12 months 50 texts, 100 minutes and 500 MB data. I am not a heavy mobile phone user. Ideally I want something I can tether my touchpad to occasionally and that can get mobile internet. The phone needs to be quite rugged, since I treat all mobile phones badly, but I have never had a super nice one so maybe I would treat it better.

I am currently on vodafone, and have been with them for about 10 years, however the only reason I stuck with them was due to family pressure. Vodafone have given me nothing but grief and I would be happy to change.

The plan I am on is £24 pm for TWO samsung galaxy europas (such a lovely phone, I was conned by Vodafone /rant). It comes with 250 MB and some texts and calls. I am pretty happy with the plan, but the phone was poo poo, and I broke it.

However the Vodafone Freebees thing looks pretty good - £10 top up and I get 300 texts and 500 MB free, which is more or less perfect for me - I would rarely use £10 credit in a month. So then I can buy the phone of my choice (HTC Desire S perhaps) for the rest of my £180 budget off ebay or something.

Or I could go for a 10.50 sim free plan and do the above.

Or I could get a proper contract and try and talk them up to a decent phone, but I don't think I will be able to get what I want.

My girlfriend currently has the europa and is happy with it due to its mini size, so would not want a new phone probably, she has similar requirements to me, with more minutes required. Would probably just go on pay as you go too.

My main concern is that I want to keep my number. If I move to PAYG will I be able to?

tl,dr: Is there any chance at all that I will be able to get what I want cheaper on a contract?

Edit: It looks like giffgaff would be a better service for me anyway - anyone got any experience of it?

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 5, 2012

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

• Country/Provider: UK

• Current contract status: Up for renewal within 30 days

• Budget (phone/plan): My total budget for the year is about £300, so split that between a new phone and the monthly cost

• Features I know I want: 12 months 50 texts, 100 minutes and 500 MB data. I am not a heavy mobile phone user. Ideally I want something I can tether my touchpad to occasionally and that can get mobile internet. The phone needs to be quite rugged, since I treat all mobile phones badly, but I have never had a super nice one so maybe I would treat it better.

Ok so I have been looking at a few useful websites, maybe they should be in the OP?:

http://geekaphone.com/compare Phone comparison

https://www.omio.com Price comparison

Of course take what they say with a pinch of salt, but they are useful for getting your bearings. I am planning on going on the vodafone freebees pay as you go and getting an unlocked phone from somewhere.

Should I get a:
Samsung galaxy Ace
HTC wildfire S
something else in that kind of mid range area? Prefereably something not almost a year old.

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 6, 2012

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

My girlfriend just got a new job and wants to get rid of her poo poo box phone to celebrate, so has tasked me with doing some research. She has quite small hands and so doesn't want a giant slab, but still wants something current and up to date. She has expressed a leaning towards the iphone 4s which makes sense because it is pretty spiffy and about the right size, however we don't have any other apple products, and I don't really want to start buying into a new (expensive) ecosystem.

The galaxy ace 2 is about the right size, but since Samsung are so poo poo at updating to ICS that is out (I don't think anyone could recommend a phone that still has a 2+ year old OS). She probably wouldn't trust me to put a different ROM on it so stock ICS would be a requirement for android.

So - the options as far as I can see are:
Lumia 800
Iphone 4s
Unknown android phone

Country/Provider: UK - vodafone

Current contract status: Contract, due for an upgrade within 3 months

Budget (phone/plan): £30 a month or decent deal on phone and cheap contract

So while I personally like the iphone 4S I can see how it is a good fit in this situation. But is there a phone that has the same dimensions as the iphone but runs android? probably not